Austin Blythe to Chiefs

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

SuperMan28

Hall of Fame
For the Chiefs this is an interesting signing. Austin Reiter, C, has not resigned. This may be his replacement. Reiter offers more in pass pro but is not good in the run game. It sounds like these two are pretty similar.

With Joe Thuney and Kyle Long lining up at G that may free up the C to go to the second level more. Blythe looks pretty mobile. Like you guys said he's undersized.

BatteringRambo

Inked Gym Rat Stoner
Name
J.Fo
4d91f1a568e7c80919fe52a733e5e7bf.jpg

FaulkSF

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
FaulkSF
For the Chiefs this is an interesting signing. Austin Reiter, C, has not resigned. This may be his replacement. Reiter offers more in pass pro but is not good in the run game. It sounds like these two are pretty similar.

With Joe Thuney and Kyle Long lining up at G that may free up the C to go to the second level more. Blythe looks pretty mobile. Like you guys said he's undersized.
I wouldn't be celebrating Austin's arrival. He has a huge problem getting his pad level underneath pass rushers, anchoring to establish power, using proper leverage, and being a second or too late on his blocks. This has led to Blythe getting pushed back into the quarterback.

It's no secret he's not a stout center and teams would pass rush and run blitz over center. It's why McVay called so many designed rollouts for Goff to neutralize Blythe getting beaten. It looks like that was KCs weakness in the Superbowl. I can't foresee AB improving that weakness.

It wouldn't shock me if KC traded back a few spots to grab a center in the draft or maybe just take your number 1 rated center on the board to protect your investment in Mahomes.

dang

Legend
KC is a top shelf NFL team. I doubt they settle for Blythe as their starting center. However, as we know he is very good depth for OG/C.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
I wouldn't be celebrating Austin's arrival. He has a huge problem getting his pad level underneath pass rushers, anchoring to establish power, using proper leverage, and being a second or too late on his blocks. This has led to Blythe getting pushed back into the quarterback.

It's no secret he's not a stout center and teams would pass rush and run blitz over center. It's why McVay called so many designed rollouts for Goff to neutralize Blythe getting beaten. It looks like that was KCs weakness in the Superbowl. I can't foresee AB improving that weakness.

It wouldn't shock me if KC traded back a few spots to grab a center in the draft or maybe just take your number 1 rated center on the board to protect your investment in Mahomes.

Blythe already has two other centers to compete with in KC. Being cheap the Chiefs may see him as a backup.

OntarioRam

Hall of Fame
Blythe already has two other centers to compete with in KC. Being cheap the Chiefs may see him as a backup.

It will be interesting to see the money he fetched. If he is being paid as a backup, we should have kept him. He brings great depth on the line, is capable of playing multiple positions, and knows the system. Many people wanted an upgrade at C - myself included - but even as a non-ideal starter, you could find worse. Every team has weak spots in a cap world. If it's a low value deal, I will assume Blythe just wanted to move on, as one would like to think the Rams would have matched if he was being paid a backup-level salary.

oldnotdead

Legend
Austin is crap on the second level. He's got poor mobility and most of all poor field vision. It's why he's constantly missing late blitzes and stunts and unless his target is a standing target on the second level all too often he blocks no one. Like I have said he's the only NFL center I've seen fall on his face trying to pull by tripping over himself. Read his draft profile and all the negatives about him being a poor blocker are still his problems. He simply never has improved. Many players strengthen when they get to the NFL. Not Austin, he's as understrength now as he was as a rookie. That should tell you something.

FaulkSF is correct when he says "I wouldn't be celebrating Austin's arrival. He has a huge problem getting his pad level underneath pass rushers, anchoring to establish power, using proper leverage, and being a second or too late on his blocks. This has led to Blythe getting pushed back into the quarterback.

It's no secret he's not a stout center and teams would pass rush and run blitz over center. It's why McVay called so many designed rollouts for Goff to neutralize Blythe getting beaten. "

The difference is that they have an extremely mobile QB. So it could be since he was getting flushed due to poor play on the interior O-line why pay a premium to a center. Regardless, I see him strictly as a backup or camp fodder. The first time he whiffs on a stunt will probably be the last time he plays for them.

dang

Legend
Maybe the Chiefs said he had a shot at starting while the Rams let him know he would be bench strength only.

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
Which is exactly what I said in what you quoted. You settle for him when you can't get something better. He's not terrible but calling him good also wouldn't be accurate. A question for you though. After Noteboom went down who was the weak link in the OL? I'd wager the vast majority of responses from Rams fans and fans of teams we played would be Blythe.

Once JB (who also gets scrutinized...often unfairly) left someone has to be next in line be the fall guy. I don't think he deserves all the scrutiny he gets.

Yes they are because each position you cited puts twice as many people on the field. Also each of those positions have a rotation of up to 5 or 6 people at times each where as you put 5 OL out for a game unless somebody gets hurt. There's no comparison.

I know what you're trying to say. Again I'm not comparing positions or rotations. I'm comparing how teams value each spot in terms of priority.

Every team needs 5 OL + backups. Yet not many are taken each year compared to other positions and the ones that do, the majority are in the back half of drafts. Every team's fanbase seems to agonize and make OL a priority. Teams obviously don't feel the same. They feel they can go cheap with late rounders or UDFAs especially guard and center.

It's pretty obvious the Rams are gonna find the best option to fill this spot. It just may not be a high priority as some may think. You also said the Chiefs are getting meh centers for their starters. On a SB contender. Priority much? That's all I'm saying.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
It will be interesting to see the money he fetched. If he is being paid as a backup, we should have kept him. He brings great depth on the line, is capable of playing multiple positions, and knows the system. Many people wanted an upgrade at C - myself included - but even as a non-ideal starter, you could find worse. Every team has weak spots in a cap world. If it's a low value deal, I will assume Blythe just wanted to move on, as one would like to think the Rams would have matched if he was being paid a backup-level salary.

I consider Evans an upgrade over Blythe and from the sounds of things so is Anchrum. So is he even on the game day roster if a young center OT guard gets drafted?

I could name a half dozen interior Olinemen that should be available in this draft in the top 5 rounds that I’d rather see starting or learning as a back up instead of Blythe taking up a roster spot.

Last edited:

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2022 TOP Member

Twitter is straight shit. I use it for easy sports info sources but don’t and won’t have an account. One of my favorite soccer p,Ayers ever just deleted his account for twitters bad policies and the toxic nature of the public using it.

ottoman89

Busch Light slammin, hog farmin, Iowa boy.
Name
Josh Otto
Man, Blythe obviously wasn't a priority for the Rams if he signed that cheap.

Here comes the Brian Allen train :sick::sick:

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
At this point IF I felt I needed a vet center I'd sign Garland. Think he's still out there.

dang

Legend
Man, Blythe obviously wasn't a priority for the Rams if he signed that cheap.

Here comes the Brian Allen train :sick::sick:
Yep. Sounds like they had no intent on signing him as a starter. Perhaps they offered a backup role didn’t want to pay much for that.