Aughn: Manziel Would Add Much Needed Excitement To Rams

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.
I'm very excited for Manziel. Do we trade down with Cleveland for their two firsts this year or do we trade down with Minnesota for a first, second and first next year and have another rooting interest in a team losing again? Personally I can't wait to find out.

Rabid Ram

Legend
Name
Dustin
Rams aren't getting a top 5 pick for Bradford coming off a knee injury. If that is an option, give me Teddy Bridgewater or Bortles...whoever Houston doesn't take.

I don't believe we have the coaching staff to utilize/teach Manziel. And yes, I think Manziel needs a strong OL to succeed.

And if Sam does what he did in college, we will have been right to stick with him. This is the NFL, it's not college.

Not for us. I don't think we have the right coaching staff or offensive talent. I have major doubts about Manziel and I think he needs to land in the right situation to be successful. The Rams are not that situation.

Getting past our obvious personnel questions on offense, do people not remember the last QB that Fisher's team took in the top 5? He was a breathtaking college QB with incredible running ability but major character concerns. We all saw how that worked out.
Not advocating we take him but
Jeff Fisher never wanted Vince young it was forced on him by his owner.
Lets look before young and a QB with a good arm and great legs that almost derailed the greatest show on turf Steve McNair. That was Jeff Fisher as well

…..

Legend
Your'e going way out of your way to evaluate the kid and place your grade on him. Thats fine.

I'm just rooting for him and hope he does well.

And by the way.....Mike Vick throws one of the prettiest balls I've ever seen, even to this day.....so who cares if its on target or not? rofl !!

And by the way again....Fran Tarkenton made a living "running around" Tony Romo does it fairly well at it too.

And the the way one last time.....I didnt say he'd be an all pro....I said he'd be fun to watch.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Lets look before young and a QB with a good arm and great legs that almost derailed the greatest show on turf Steve McNair. That was Jeff Fisher as well

Eh, McNair was more the opposite. QB with a great arm and good legs.

And the Rams/Fisher don't seem to want Manziel from all indications so it's probably a moot point anyways.

Your'e going way out of your way to evaluate the kid and place your grade on him. Thats fine.

I'm just rooting for him and hope he does well.

And by the way.....Mike Vick throws one of the prettiest balls I've ever seen, even to this day.....so who cares if its on target or not? rofl !!

And by the way again....Fran Tarkenton made a living "running around" Tony Romo does it fairly well at it too.

And the the way one last time.....I didnt say he'd be an all pro....I said he'd be fun to watch.

Mike Vick's athletic gifts were truly incredible. Too bad he was such a knucklehead. Very arguably the greatest pure athlete to play the game. One of the strongest arms in the history of the game, 4.3 speed, incredible elusiveness and great vision.

He'll be interesting to watch. You got that right for sure.

The Rammer

ESPN Draft Guru
Name
Rick
COME ON BRO!!! really? How many mobile QB's have won a super bowl since '99?
Kurt Warner (MVP), 2 TDs
Super Bowl 35. Trent Dilfer (Ray Lewis), 1 TD
Super Bowl 36. Tom Brady (MVP), 1 TD
Super Bowl 37. Brad Johnson (Dexter Jackson), 2 TDs
Super Bowl 38. Tom Brady (MVP), 3 TDs
Super Bowl 39. Tom Brady (Deion Branch), 2 TDs
Super Bowl 40. Ben Roethlisberger (Hines Ward), 0 TDs
Super Bowl 41. Peyton Manning (MVP), 1 TD
Super Bowl 42. Eli Manning (MVP), 2 TDs
Super Bowl 43: Ben Roethlisberger (Santonio Holmes), 1 TD
Super Bowl 44: Drew Brees (MVP), 2 TDs
Super Bowl 45: Aaron Rogers (MVP), 3TDs
Super Bowl 46: Eli Manning (MVP), 1 TD
Super Bowl 47: Joe Flacco (MVP),

Before throwing that filth out there lets look at the list. Hmmmm so many McNairs, Vicks, Youngs, and Tarkentons on this list isn't there? People, get off a running qb's nuts

and p.s. our owner isn't a retarded Tennessee owner.

max

Hall of Fame
Name
max
Bridgewater, yes. I would draft him if I had the chance. Bortles...no. I'd stick with Sam because Bortles is more risky of a pick than Bridgewater and less pro ready.
Ok. You are Snisher. Houston picks Clowney #1. Now you're on the clock, what are your next 5 moves?

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
Manziel won't last in the NFL if he plays the same way he did in college. I never understand the ongoing fascination with running QBs when we have decades of empirical evidence that tell us the odds of it working out are incredibly low.

Any team hitching their wagon to this kid is going to regret it, or at least the odds are about 50-1 that they will. Not a good bet with a top pick is it?

Alan

Legend
Interesting points by everyone.

But, I'm not even gonna try to wrap my head around trading Sam for a draft pick because he's our guy. I didn't entertain this thought when Luck and RGIII were available so to do that for ANY of the QBs available in this draft is...incomprehensible to me.

Thordaddy

Binding you with ancient logic
Name
Rich
Ok. You are Snisher. Houston picks Clowney #1. Now you're on the clock, what are your next 5 moves?
You sit and watch whoever has our pick use it, the deal will be done before draft day like the RG trade so the next 5 moves depend on who traded for that pick but it does mean we can probably trade down one more slot

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man

I look forward to hearing jrry's response.

Mine; Hot Damn! That would be the best scenario. Have the trade scenarios lined up and fleece someone... because the phone would ring off the hook.

Alan

Legend
I'd trade the 2nd to the Jags, then the 3rd to Cleveland and just keep going on down the line until we run out of trade partners.

Username

Has a Well-Known Member
I'm just pointing out that those things don't always translate well. Tebow played big boy football in the same conference. Didn't work out in the NFL.

The most athletic QB ever, Mike Vick, was only a very good QB for one year. The rest of his career, he was held back by his mediocre passing skills...mainly because he didn't prepare like the elite QBs did and obsess over the small details in his game.

The NFL isn't college. The DLs and LBs are freakishly fast. If you want to become a successful QB in the NFL, you can't just rely on your scrambling ability. You can't get by with mediocre fundamentals. You have to obsess over the smallest details. You have to be meticulous in preparation. Every player in the NFL has natural ability.

I have concerns with Manziel. His mechanics and footwork are sloppy. He relies too often on running around to get his receivers open rather than dropping back, reading the defense and delivering the ball on time. His offense isn't a pro style offense and doesn't force him to make a lot of window throws. He makes bad decisions in the red-zone. His pocket presence and movement are unimpressive...he relies too much on his ability to run rather than technique, timing and a sense of spacing. I could go on. The kid has major flaws. And in the NFL, flaws like those get exposed. You have to improve. You have to take your job very seriously.

Manziel's playing style reminds me of Terrelle Pryor's in college. Manziel isn't as reliant on it as Pryor was and he's a better passer than Pryor(by a lot) but he has a tendency to not read the defense and instead opt to try and run around to allow things to open up. That doesn't work in the NFL.

So yes, he will be exciting but he might be exciting in all the wrong ways. The kid needs coaching and he needs a lot of polish.

What am I trying to convince you of? Nothing. I can't take a stance on Manziel other than the stance that I wouldn't draft him. Because I'm not sure he'll fail. But I also don't feel confident he'll succeed. I don't know the kid's personality, character and work ethic. What do I know is that he's a much more deeply flawed player on tape than some want to believe. And while he put up great stats and was exciting in college, there's a lot of troubling things you notice while watching him. College stats don't translate to the NFL. Skill-sets do. And Manziel's skill-set is a tough one to translate. It's one that is truly an enigma.

My biggest worry with him would be the type of offense A&M runs. Something that is a big plus for Bridgewater. I don't think you can compare 2013 Manziel to any of those guys btw. 9/10 times I saw him pull it down to run this year was after he had gone through all his progressions or in the rare case that he was pressured.

tonyl711

Starter
Johnny Football will need to go to a team that is loaded with talent (like keaperdick did) to be any good IMO, he better have some very good WRs because if he is not accurate in the NFL he will be intercepted a lot and not throw for many yards, he better have a damn good Oline because he will need plenty of time to find a wide open receiver, and he better bulk up so he can take all the hits he will take when running the ball.

Rabid Ram

Legend
Name
Dustin
COME ON BRO!!! really? How many mobile QB's have won a super bowl since '99?
Kurt Warner (MVP), 2 TDs
Super Bowl 35. Trent Dilfer (Ray Lewis), 1 TD
Super Bowl 36. Tom Brady (MVP), 1 TD
Super Bowl 37. Brad Johnson (Dexter Jackson), 2 TDs
Super Bowl 38. Tom Brady (MVP), 3 TDs
Super Bowl 39. Tom Brady (Deion Branch), 2 TDs
Super Bowl 40. Ben Roethlisberger (Hines Ward), 0 TDs
Super Bowl 41. Peyton Manning (MVP), 1 TD
Super Bowl 42. Eli Manning (MVP), 2 TDs
Super Bowl 43: Ben Roethlisberger (Santonio Holmes), 1 TD
Super Bowl 44: Drew Brees (MVP), 2 TDs
Super Bowl 45: Aaron Rogers (MVP), 3TDs
Super Bowl 46: Eli Manning (MVP), 1 TD
Super Bowl 47: Joe Flacco (MVP),

Before throwing that filth out there lets look at the list. Hmmmm so many McNairs, Vicks, Youngs, and Tarkentons on this list isn't there? People, get off a running qb's nuts

and p.s. our owner isn't a retarded Tennessee owner.

Look BRO when you learn to read and see that I wasn't advocating for Johnny football. Also when you learn to show other posters a shred of respect I then may care about a point you are trying to make.

blackbart

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
"What could be a better way of generating buzz and excitement into otherwise bored fan base?"

How about continuing to rebuild this organization,which was the worse POS in the league for a decade, with the plan they have in place which does not include drafting a kid that has little chance at being a year 1 starter on a rebuilding team that has lots of holes on the O line and a group of very young skill position players.

Bradford has way more upside with this team especially if you draft Matthews and Evans

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
What would Sam Bradford do if he had offensive linemen who will all go in the first round of the drafts...Luke Joechel, Jake Matthews & Cedric Ogbuehi playing in front of him like Johnny Manziel had?

I will say this ..If Snead & Fisher still continue to go with the OL "Wavier Wire Contingent" & refuse to invest & refuse to build a good talented youthful healthy OL in front of Sam Bradford then best to trade Sam off for a scrambling elusive QB.

Last edited by a moderator: