Aughn: Manziel Would Add Much Needed Excitement To Rams

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

OnceARam

Hall of Fame
By Doug Vaughn (not Aughn) of KMVO (link below article);

(FootballStL) - Normally I wait until a day or two before the NFL draft to advise the Rams on whom they should pick in the first few rounds. This year will be different. I'll go ahead and make the call right now, even though the draft is still five months away.

Johnny Manziel announced on Wednesday that he will forego his final two years of college eligibility and enter the NFL draft. That's all I needed to hear to make my recommendation to Jeff Fisher and Les Sneed.

The Rams need Johnny Manziel and they need him right now! Don't trade the second overall pick in the draft to pick up more choices. Use that pick to select Johnny Football. Put an exciting new face on a franchise that hasn't produced a winning record in ten seasons. Bring in one of the most wildly popular college players in recent history. Also one of the most successful.

Manziel did some amazing things at Texas A&M. He threw for a school-record 4,114 yards and 37 touchdowns. He ran for 759 yards and nine scores. He owns the two best total-yardage seasons in SEC history, breaking Cam Newton's record last year by posting 5,116 and following it with 4,873 this season. In two seasons with the Aggies, Manziel threw for 7,820 yards and 63 touchdowns while rushing for 2,169 yards and 30 more scores. This season, he set school records for passing yards and passing touchdowns. In his 26-game career, he set at least 35 school, SEC and NCAA records. Not a bad resume.

Still, there are differing opinions about how Manziel's game will translate in the NFL, mostly because of his size. He's listed at 6'0", 200 pounds and that may be pushing it. But haven't we seen enough of Drew Brees and Russell Wilson to know that it's possible to be an outstanding NFL quarterback and not be 6'4"?

In all likelihood, Manziel won't be the first player taken in the draft. The Rams will have a chance to pick him. What could be a better way of generating buzz and excitement into otherwise bored fan base? Manziel would sell tickets by the truckload for a team that plays most of its home games in front of a thousands of empty seats. Johnny Football might just save the franchise for St. Louis.

To keep him happy, they may as well go ahead and draft Manziel's Texas A&M teammate Mike Evans, the All American wide receiver, with the 13th pick in round one. Evans would answer the Rams need for a big, number one type wide receiver. Then pick up an offensive tackle in round two. I'll go ahead and let Fisher and Sneed take it from there.

http://www.kmov.com/sports/football...s-drafting-decisions-for-them--239326911.html

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
That's about as bad of a move as I can think of. Would be a nightmare and I think Manziel would crash and burn. Sometimes, people need to put emotion aside and analyze a situation thoroughly.

OnceARam

Hall of Fame
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
That's about as bad of a move as I can think of. Would be a nightmare and I think Manziel would crash and burn. Sometimes, people need to put emotion aside and analyze a situation thoroughly.

So you don't think he's a franchise QB?

Username

Has a Well-Known Member

It really is a shame Sam got injured when he did. The Carolina game was imo his best game of the year, and the offense was finally starting to show identity. Also, Zac Stacy was just starting to emerge. Sam was on fire that game, and who knows what happens if he doesn't go down.

I've heard you say that you think Manziel could succeed in the right environment though. I imagine that equates to playing behind a solid line, and having a strong defense. This will never happen, but let me ask you (or whoever) for nothing but the sake of conversation... What if the Rams traded Bradford? To say maybe the Browns or so? Use the money saved to get a solid FS and guard in FA. Then draft Matthews, Manziel, and say Evans? Do you think that he would have a chance to succeed in that scenario?

OnceARam

Hall of Fame
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
It really is a shame Sam got injured when he did. The Carolina game was imo his best game of the year, and the offense was finally starting to show identity. Also, Zac Stacy was just starting to emerge. Sam was on fire that game, and who knows what happens if he doesn't go down.

I've heard you say that you think Manziel could succeed in the right environment though. I imagine that equates to playing behind a solid line, and having a strong defense. This will never happen, but let me ask you (or whoever) for nothing but the sake of conversation... What if the Rams traded Bradford? To say maybe the Browns or so? Use the money saved to get a solid FS and guard in FA. Then draft Matthews, Manziel, and say Evans? Do you think that he would have a chance to succeed in that scenario?

It's a fair question.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude

It's a crap shoot.
But the odds aren't bad either.

Thordaddy

Binding you with ancient logic
Name
Rich

Sure about as long as Griffen did.

I know this is a QB "driven league" but a great team with Sam Bradford at the helm will be driven to drink.

I would take a pat hand into next year and expect a winning record,I seriously don't think Sam healthy over the entire season doesn't make two or three games difference over the same team with Clemens and that would very easily BE three division games we lost.
Nah F THE FLAVOR OF THE MONTH STAY THE COURSE

A55VA6

Legend
I'm not saying draft him.. but how interesting would it be having Manziel? If he does what he did in college in the NFL... we might have made a huge mistake sticking with Bradford. Only time will tell though.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

Rams aren't getting a top 5 pick for Bradford coming off a knee injury. If that is an option, give me Teddy Bridgewater or Bortles...whoever Houston doesn't take.

I don't believe we have the coaching staff to utilize/teach Manziel. And yes, I think Manziel needs a strong OL to succeed.

I'm not saying draft him.. but how interesting would it be having Manziel? If he does what he did in college in the NFL... we might have made a huge mistake sticking with Bradford. Only time will tell though.

And if Sam does what he did in college, we will have been right to stick with him. This is the NFL, it's not college.

Not for us. I don't think we have the right coaching staff or offensive talent. I have major doubts about Manziel and I think he needs to land in the right situation to be successful. The Rams are not that situation.

Getting past our obvious personnel questions on offense, do people not remember the last QB that Fisher's team took in the top 5? He was a breathtaking college QB with incredible running ability but major character concerns. We all saw how that worked out.

jjab360

Legend
No thank you. I don't really care about the character issues that much, but there are a ton of areas like accuracy, arm strength, ball placement, and ball velocity where Manziel doesn't even really come close to Bradford. Kid's got moxy, I'll give him that, but QB is probably the toughest position in sports to adjust to from college to the pros, and Bradford finally looks like he's becoming comfortable enough to take that mythical next step. I don't see the point in pressing the reset button now of all times.

…..

Legend
I'm not saying he's a fit for the Rams....

But whatever team he lands on is going to be fun to watch. I'm rooting for him!

You dont just happen to break 35 school, SEC, and NCAA records, you got to do that on purpose. The kid is amazing.

Ramhusker

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bo Bowen
Yeah, not happening for good reasons.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I'm not saying he's a fit for the Rams....

But whatever team he lands on is going to be fun to watch. I'm rooting for him!

You dont just happen to break 35 school, SEC, and NCAA records, you got to do that on purpose. The kid is amazing.

And yet other players like Tim Tebow and Vince Young were supremely successful college QBs. The pro game and college game are extremely different beasts.

A55VA6

Legend
jrry32 said:
And if Sam does what he did in college, we will have been right to stick with him. This is the NFL, it's not college.
No shit. I was trying to say if he plays at a high level like he did in college, it would be a mistake passing on all of these QB's and sticking with Bradford

Either way, I don't want to draft Manziel.. but it's interesting to think about.

Username

Has a Well-Known Member
Rams aren't getting a top 5 pick for Bradford coming off a knee injury. If that is an option, give me Teddy Bridgewater or Bortles...whoever Houston doesn't take.

So you think Bridgewater or Bortles is better than Bradford?

LumberTubs

As idle as a painted ship upon a painted ocean
Name
Phil

We've already got a franchise QB. The article seems to ignore that fact. Even if people aren't convinced by Bradford, they can't simply ignore the fact he's there.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
So you think Bridgewater or Bortles is better than Bradford?

Bridgewater, yes. I would draft him if I had the chance. Bortles...no. I'd stick with Sam because Bortles is more risky of a pick than Bridgewater and less pro ready.

…..

Legend
And yet other players like Tim Tebow and Vince Young were supremely successful college QBs. The pro game and college game are extremely different beasts.

Jrry what are you trying to convince us of? I believe Johnny Manziel will be an exciting addition to any team. Thats all.

I'm just sharing an opinion, which is based upon what I have seen and actual stats achieved in a big boy conference playing big boy football on a consistent basis.

If you dont feel the same way, thats fine....but I didnt mention anything about other players like Vince Young or Tim Tebow.

fwiw....I never like Vince Young as a QB and I think Tebow still has value.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Jrry what are you trying to convince us of? I believe Johnny Manziel will be an exciting addition to any team. Thats all.

I'm just sharing an opinion, which is based upon what I have seen and actual stats achieved in a big boy conference playing big boy football on a consistent basis.

If you dont feel the same way, thats fine....but I didnt mention anything about other players like Vince Young or Tim Tebow.

I'm just pointing out that those things don't always translate well. Tebow played big boy football in the same conference. Didn't work out in the NFL.

The most athletic QB ever, Mike Vick, was only a very good QB for one year. The rest of his career, he was held back by his mediocre passing skills...mainly because he didn't prepare like the elite QBs did and obsess over the small details in his game.

The NFL isn't college. The DLs and LBs are freakishly fast. If you want to become a successful QB in the NFL, you can't just rely on your scrambling ability. You can't get by with mediocre fundamentals. You have to obsess over the smallest details. You have to be meticulous in preparation. Every player in the NFL has natural ability.

I have concerns with Manziel. His mechanics and footwork are sloppy. He relies too often on running around to get his receivers open rather than dropping back, reading the defense and delivering the ball on time. His offense isn't a pro style offense and doesn't force him to make a lot of window throws. He makes bad decisions in the red-zone. His pocket presence and movement are unimpressive...he relies too much on his ability to run rather than technique, timing and a sense of spacing. I could go on. The kid has major flaws. And in the NFL, flaws like those get exposed. You have to improve. You have to take your job very seriously.

Manziel's playing style reminds me of Terrelle Pryor's in college. Manziel isn't as reliant on it as Pryor was and he's a better passer than Pryor(by a lot) but he has a tendency to not read the defense and instead opt to try and run around to allow things to open up. That doesn't work in the NFL.

So yes, he will be exciting but he might be exciting in all the wrong ways. The kid needs coaching and he needs a lot of polish.

What am I trying to convince you of? Nothing. I can't take a stance on Manziel other than the stance that I wouldn't draft him. Because I'm not sure he'll fail. But I also don't feel confident he'll succeed. I don't know the kid's personality, character and work ethic. What do I know is that he's a much more deeply flawed player on tape than some want to believe. And while he put up great stats and was exciting in college, there's a lot of troubling things you notice while watching him. College stats don't translate to the NFL. Skill-sets do. And Manziel's skill-set is a tough one to translate. It's one that is truly an enigma.