Aqib Talib Now a Ram

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

cc.jpg

seriously, that was fucking funny.

blackbart

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
I'm excited about getting Talib. Still a pro bowl player that teams stayed away from even at 32. He comes with a contract of 11 Mil and 8 Mil for two years. That is almost the amount TruJo gets for one year. I say he is a better fit as a physical press in your face CB than TruJo. The dude is super competitive. He can make up a little speed lose with technique. He isn't the 27 year old version but, he still has some juice in the tank.

https://www.sbnation.com/2018/3/8/1...alib-pro-bowl-cornerback-2018-nfl-free-agency

Part of an article.............
He’d make his first Pro Bowl the following season, then depart in free agency to sign a six-year, $57 million deal with the Broncos. He’d been just as good in Denver, earning Pro Bowl honors each year with the team, returning six interceptions for touchdowns, and making five tackles in his team’s 24-10 Super Bowl 50 victory over the Panthers. Despite a down year in interceptions and tackle, Talib was rarely targeted by opposing quarterbacks last season. When he was, he was still quite efficient in coverage.
I hope you're right about having juice in the tank.

I don't think Trujo is getting twice that without the franchise tag, it will be interesting to see who over pays him and how much he does get.

blackbart

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
We've got an improved secondary now two deep which is great news but yeah, I'm going to be concerned how these two dudes get along in the locker room and their overall effect. Got my fingers crossed.

CB addition not likely early on now, but I would like to see them bring in someone just for youth and longevity purposes. NRC comin back would be nice, but if not no worries addressing nickel isn't the toughest thing to fill.
Yeah that is one of the other things about Talib, his attitude. When you're elite you can get away with all that nonsense but at 32 does he still have enough talent to back it up. I don't care for that kind of crap I would prefer someone more like Woodson's attitude, great player knows it and doesn't have to run his mouth about it.

Peters is talented but leaving the field acting like he was more important than the team, how's that going to work with the Rams' mantra?

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
As odd as it sounds, I DO see Talib as a mentor to Peters. At the very least, Peters will listen to Talib. Wade will make sure Talib does his part.

A Super Bowl run should keep them focused.

jap

Legend
Last off-season, McSnead recognised that the WR group needed an overhaul and went and did something about it, turning it into a strength in the process.

They obviously felt that the CB group this off-season, while not as weak to begin with talent-wise, needed a similar overhaul and they’ve only gone and done it again. And all before the start of the league year!

You have to love the decisive way in which this front office and coaching staff identify a weakness and are proactive in fixing it. It’s hard not to imagine CB being a strength in 2018 with Peters and now Talib.

I’d like to see NRC re-signed and for Troy Hill to still get plenty of snaps.

Yep, last year they gave the fly guy groups (i.e., WRs, TEs) an enema, and this season the CBs squad received a thorough flush. Now these offensive & defensive groupings get to compete against each other and mutually improve one another before they turn them loose on the rest of the NFL.

Legatron4

Legend
Name
Wes
As odd as it sounds, I DO see Talib as a mentor to Peters. At the very least, Peters will listen to Talib. Wade will make sure Talib does his part.

This. People dont seem to understand that what really fuels these guys is winning. There’s plenty of questionable characters on the Eagles. Alshon Jeffery was known to be a bit selfish. But when you’re winning that all goes out the window. As long as the team is doing well, they should be no problem.

majrleaged

Hall of Fame
Yep, last year they gave the fly guy groups (i.e., WRs, TEs) an enema, and this season the CBs squad received a thorough flush. Now these offensive & defensive groupings get to compete against each other and mutually improve one another before they turn them loose on the rest of the NFL.
This is a major point to these moves. I believe our receivers were not ready for the physicality of playoff football. With these two corners to practice against, that will not happen again. Football is the ultimate team sport. Every change to any part of the team has an affect. I absolutely love the changes. If the rest of the off season even goes half as good as it has so far, we probably won't see long, defense exhausting, offense cooling drives. I thought last off season was exciting, but you put last seasons results, with the off season so far and this is off the charts.

“Turbo set!”

Pro Bowler
I mentioned this in the Peter's thread. We can acquire cornerbacks until the cows come home but if we don't acquire some better players up front it won't matter.

That is a ton of dough going to two corners and a safety. Not a fan of spending valuable cap money on the secondary.

This signing closes TJs tenure with the Rams.

Last edited:

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I mentioned this in the Peter's thread. We can acquire cornerbacks until the cows come home but if we don't acquire some better players up front it won't matter.

That is a ton of dough going to two corners and a safety. Not a fan of spending valuable cap money on the secondary.

Peters, Talib and Shields combined make less money than we paid TruJo last year.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

Yeah, it's awful the rams now have 2 shutdown corners on their team. What on earth are they thinking?

Akrasian

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

Sheesh. It's not even the beginning of the league year, and the Rams have already obtained the best two cornerbacks they've had in - well, in many years. While REDUCING the money they are spending on cornerbacks. That strikes me as a huge win. Especially since most of the NFL values cornerbacks enough that they are one of the highest paid non-QB positions.

Up front, they have the DPOY. Also, an excellent DE on the other side.

They do need a new NT, an edge rusher or two, and an ILB. Which I guarantee they are looking for. Not one person here thinks they are not trying to find player upgrades for that. There's only so much that can be done days before free agency.

Really, the only hard work they still have to do on the defense is finding a good edge rusher, who can also do the other things that an OLB in Wade's 3-4 is supposed to handle. Quinn had issues with some of those duties, and was good but no longer great at his strength, QB rushing. Getting a guy who can handle what Wade needs from his ILB shouldn't be too hard. Ditto for an upgrade at NT.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Not a fan of spending valuable cap money on the secondary.

I think you're ignoring the realities of scheme. In some schemes, you are better off spending money on your front and replacing guys in the secondary. Ron Rivera and Sean McDermott's defenses are excellent examples of that. On the other hand, Wade Phillips' defense is the opposite. Wade puts a lot of pressure on his CBs when he is able to run his defense his way. He has his CBs play a lot of press-man on islands. Thus, it makes more sense to put money into the secondary because it allows Wade to use the blitz schemes he likes and run games upfront. That manufactures pressure.

In a perfect world, we have amazing pass rushers and DBs. That would be great. But in Wade's scheme, having amazing DBs is slightly more important than amazing pass rushers.(and let's be real, teams aren't giving away their amazing pass rushers)

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

Aqib Talib excited to join Marcus Peters, L.A. Rams
Nick Shook
NFL.com

Once trades become official Wednesday, Aqib Talib will be off to the West Coast to begin a new chapter in his career with the Los Angeles Rams.

He'll be joining a secondary that features another newcomer in cornerback Marcus Peters (also acquired via trade) and one of the league's better safeties in Lamarcus Joyner, who received the franchise tag. It shouldn't surprise anyone that Talib is excited for what's next.

"What better place to do it than L.A., man," Talib told NFL Network's James Palmer on Saturday. "With that market. With (defensive coordinator) Wade Phillips. With a young energetic corner on the other side, man, to bring back that youth to me. A great quarterback and Todd Gurley, it's just a great situation in my opinion."

A great situation, no doubt. Talib joins a team that ranked in the top half against the pass and owned the league's best scoring offense (29.9 points per game). A productive offense always makes a defender's life a little easier, but what's really enticing for the veteran is playing opposite Peters, a young, hungry, up-and-coming corner with an outspoken mean streak similar to Talib's.

"I'm not trying to make him better," Talib said of Peters. "He had eight interceptions -- he's already cold. I'm just going to just be me. ... He was one of the first guys to Facetime me. So he already a friend of mine. I already talked to him.

"It's going to be good, man. It's going to be good. I can't wait to get in the same locker room with him."

That locker room is led by a young coach in Sean McVay, with young stars in Jared Goff and Todd Gurley. The Rams were upstart in 2017; they won't be a surprise in 2018, especially after the flurry of recent moves made by general manager Les Snead. Those expectations are going to require some veteran leadership provided by a player with experience. Talib fits the bill.

He gained that experience during his three-season run in New England and four-year stint in Denver, where he was one-fourth of the No Fly Zone. His departure has cut that group down from four to two -- leaving just Chris Harris and Darian Stewart -- and officially spelling the end of an era.

"It's in the books now, man," Talib said of the No Fly Zone defense. "It's definitely in the books. ... We'll definitely go down in the books as one of the best secondaries in history."

That secondary was part of a suffocating defense that won Denver a Super Bowl. Perhaps Talib can be a senior member of another memorable defense. He already has a familiar face (Phillips) calling the shots.

“Turbo set!”

Pro Bowler
I think you're ignoring the realities of scheme. In some schemes, you are better off spending money on your front and replacing guys in the secondary. Ron Rivera and Sean McDermott's defenses are excellent examples of that. On the other hand, Wade Phillips' defense is the opposite. Wade puts a lot of pressure on his CBs when he is able to run his defense his way. He has his CBs play a lot of press-man on islands. Thus, it makes more sense to put money into the secondary because it allows Wade to use the blitz schemes he likes and run games upfront. That manufactures pressure.

In a perfect world, we have amazing pass rushers and DBs. That would be great. But in Wade's scheme, having amazing DBs is slightly more important than amazing pass rushers.(and let's be real, teams aren't giving away their amazing pass rushers)

Peters, Talib and Shields combined make less money than we paid TruJo last year.

Excellent points and not something I thought of.

Last edited:

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter

Exactly— that is how McVay is running The Rams organization in whole. Mentoring & next player up. Build within & make it a culture.