Aqib Talib Now a Ram

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
". . . one of the deepest CB groups in the league"? Are you kidding me? We would have to be the deepest hands down if we retain Webster, NRC, and Hill.

We'd have to see if all the new ingredients really form the magic stew we're all hoping, including McVay, Wade and the FO.

As of now, the best secondary is Jacksonville's.

But I agree that ours has the potential to not only be very good, but potentially to put up all-time great numbers.

This D could not only be number one, but rank as one of the best Ds.

That's the potential.

But if the games were won in the off-season, Tampa Bay would have gone deep into the playoffs last year.

Dieter the Brock

Fourth responder
WHAT THE FUCK

dude
this offseason you need to be chained to ROD
What the fuck - i can't step away for a day

WOOOOOOOOHOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

BadCompany

Rookie
Gotta get some run stoppers now. Having a great secondary won't do much if teams just don't throw the ball against us. Force teams into 3rd and longs, and this defense is going to be lights out.

Run stoppers and back up offensive linemen. That's what we need now.

(of course it's only 10:10 am, EST - by the time anybody reads this Snead may have already fixed those issues)

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Surely what they do with Webster will be based on his medical reports. He was good when healthy - can they count on him being healthy in 2018?
That ? thus far has been NO.

KW's 2016 season was not injury free either as a back up. He had hamstring issues & then suffered a concussion & was placed on the IR.It should be noted that his back up @ Denver was Taurean Nixon.Then in 2017 KW started off unhealthy in TC & was continued unhealthy in pre season due to an unknown health issue with no appearances.

First time we saw KW in the first gm of the reg. first half of the first series the gets injured again (Right Shoulder) is out 2 gms with that injury, then battles through other nagging small stuff then suffered another concussion Week 11 against the Vikings. In the most important game against the SB Champions Eagles he blows out his Achilles. (Note: Strange stuff here when KW went down & was once again placed on the IR in 2017 it was (once again ) now former Bronco Taurean Nixon signed to to replace Webstero_O.

It was his first season as a starter out of five NFL seasons. What do you think @Akrasian ?:thinking:

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
Much better than players that are druggies and schizo, you know? Wife beater types?
Ya think?

Again, I love the overall moves.....I keep seeing a bunch want NRC back...don't know what he was asking, but with the signing of Shields...still have Webster....and Hill....and Peterson....Doubt he's retained....and no, love him too...well like him....but we could do for an upgrade...not sure I see one on roster besides Webster....

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Ya think?

Again, I love the overall moves.....I keep seeing a bunch want NRC back...don't know what he was asking, but with the signing of Shields...still have Webster....and Hill....and Peterson....Doubt he's retained....and no, love him too...well like him....but we could do for an upgrade...not sure I see one on roster besides Webster....

CB-Talib
CB-Peters
Nickle- Shields/Joyner
Dime- Troy Hill
5th CB- Kevin Peterson
6th CB Tourean Nixon
:D

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
Gee you stay off the internet for one damn day and this happens.

GrippingRareBordercollie-max-1mb.gif

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
https://www.si.com/nfl/2018/03/09/aqib-talib-trade-broncos-rams-crabtree-chain-marcus-peters

Aqib Talib Is One of a Kind
  • A look back on the unique, often-contradictory spirit of Talib during his memorable four-year run in Denver, and a look forward to what the Rams are getting
By ROBERT KLEMKO

JOE AMON/GETTY IMAGES

It was the first and only time I ever saw Aqib Talib outside of the practice facility in Englewood, Colo., or the stadium in Denver. We were at Blackstone Country Club in Aurora, in mid-July 2016 for a teammate’s charity golf tournament. A little more than a month earlier, Talib had been shot in the leg while leaving a Dallas nightclub, telling police he’d been so intoxicated he couldn’t recall any details.

On that day at the country club, Talib told the Denver Post he expected to be ready for training camp in a few days, and the leg was healing nicely. I was sitting in the restaurant area waiting to interview another member of the reigning Super Bowl champions when Talib stumbled to the bar, crashing against a stool. After a few drinks, he crossed his arms on the bar, rested his head atop his forearms and went to sleep at 4:30 in the afternoon. That’s Aqib Talib.

Another story, second-hand this time, from later that year: Talib got wind of a Broncos rookie having been late to the facility. He stormed into a meeting attended by all the rookies on the roster and took the offender to task. This is not how you do it. This is not how you be a pro. That’s also Aqib Talib.

Talib never fit into a nice little box. He’d rip a chain off Michael Crabtree’s neck, just because, then mentor a young player on proper film study the next day. He was a respected member of the player leadership, someone you could expect to hold the rest of the secondary accountable, yet he was a nightmare for the brass in the offseason.

I’m using the past tense here, because he was a Bronco for four seasons, until Thursday night. Now he’s a Ram after a trade that sends a 2018 fifth-round pick Denver’s way. Los Angeles is the fourth stop in the colorful career of a modern football mercenary.

It’s rare that a single trade speaks such volumes about the direction of two franchises. For Denver, Talib’s signing in 2014 represented one of the final pieces of the puzzle. There was Peyton Manning, DeMarcus Ware, and Talib—three expensive free agents who would help Denver to a Super Bowl 50 victory.

Trading Talib is a tacit admission on the part of John Elway that the search for a quarterback could get expensive in free agency, or cost a high draft pick. In the case of the former, the 32-year-old Talib's contract ate up too much cap space. In the case of the latter, Talib is too impatient.

After all, it was Talib who shouted down offensive tackle Russell Okung following a 16-3 loss to the Patriots in December 2016, setting off an offense vs. defense shouting match, the root of the conflict being the offense’s struggles with Trevor Siemian at quarterback.

For the Rams, adding Talib signals loud and clear the belief they are one Pro Bowler away from winning a Super Bowl, and are willing to take on a handful of mercurial personalities to reach that goal. Head coach Sean McVay’s and defensive coordinator Wade Phillips’ jobs just got easier, but Rams public relations boss Artis Twyman’s job just got harder.

Talib isn’t just unpredictable on the field and at home in Texas, he’s a wild card in the locker room during media sessions. You never know what you’ll get, but you know it will be the truth. One day he might share a little too much about his own injury status. Or he might share the source of his admiration for Bill Belichick, his former coach (Bill didn’t mind if players wore slippers in meetings).

After that Super Bowl thrashing of the Panthers, I headed down to the Denver locker room at Levi's Stadium and pulled up the video of Cam Newton hesitating to dive on a fumble with the game on the line. The first person I showed was Talib. “He didn’t want it,” he said of Newton between swigs of Cognac from the bottle.

Talib is one of those rare athletes who’s such an open book, the reporters who cover him actually get to know him beyond the 30-second sound bite. NFL Network reporter and Denverite James Palmer soon realized he could go to Talib for some prophetic NFL takes based on Talib’s meticulous film study.

“I think what is overlooked is his football IQ,” Palmer says. “People look at the off-the-field mistakes or the chain-snatching and jump to a certain conclusion. But all he does is study film, and other corners. During [2016] training camp he told me A.J. Bouye was going to have a breakout season with the Texans. No one had heard of Bouye. Bouye balled, and was the top free agent corner after the season.”

Talib also told Palmer two years ago he could tell Kansas City Chiefs cornerback Marcus Peters wasn’t watching film properly, and he believed Peters had the potential to be the best corner in football with the right guidance.

Broncos cornerback Bradley Roby got a heavy dose of that guidance during their four years together in Denver—ironically, it’s Roby’s emergence as a quality NFL starter that lessens the blow of Talib’s departure. Now, since the Rams traded for Peters (who has his own off-field baggage), Talib can tutor Peters full time. It’s a match made in football heaven, probably.

Here’s what I know: Hire Aqib Talib if you’d like to win a championship, now. Hire Aqib Talib if there are chains that need snatching. Hire Aqib Talib if there are young corners who need molding. But for God’s sake, only hire Aqib Talib if you’re sure you can handle the drama.

JonRam99

Hall of Fame
Name
Jonathan
The comment at 5:00... Aquib is a mentor too?? will mentor Peters?? would be crazy if we got a Whitworth-type for our secondary.

jap

Legend
Wade may be trying to put together his best defensive team of his storied career. Let's see who the NT and the LBs are gonna be.

Ram65

Legend
On that day at the country club, Talib told the Denver Post he expected to be ready for training camp in a few days, and the leg was healing nicely. I was sitting in the restaurant area waiting to interview another member of the reigning Super Bowl champions when Talib stumbled to the bar, crashing against a stool. After a few drinks, he crossed his arms on the bar, rested his head atop his forearms and went to sleep at 4:30 in the afternoon. That’s Aqib Talib.

My golf game isn't good enough to drink and play. Not unusual at a Golf Event to have too many.

Is certainly is interesting.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
For those that are concerned about MP and Talib being knuckleheads...

Both players are excitable, but they give it 100% on the field.

I get the impression that they sometimes lose composure because they care so much. They both love winning and hate losing. The Rams can work with that.

Much better than players that are druggies and schizo, you know? Wife beater types?

Unlike the Peters deal, which surprised most of us I think, the Talib deal was sorta anticipated, at least in terms of it being a possibility. And my issue with it is those two knuckleheads being together in the same locker room and position room for that matter, but also the short term duration of the moves is also a concern wrt kickin that can down the road.

Bill's comin due in about two years at CB, as both Peters and Talib are most likely 1-2 year answers. But it's also comin due on the OL as we all know, with all 5 positions either needing to be signed, drafted, or replaced. Pushing Joyner back, if they don't get him done, he's also gonna be comin due in that window. Plus Donald still needing to be signed, Gurley next year, and Goff.

It never ends on the roster side tbh. There's nothing wrong with short term answers, just as I've been saying I want to see some effin RAMS core guys retained with long term deals. So once again hope that starts happening here soon. Les is puttin on a clinic but without Demoff getting these deals done at some point they're gonna be under water. Really hope we see some damn deals getting done here before we hit the FA period.