Aaron Donald’s contract situation

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.
Status
Not open for further replies.

FrantikRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
So you think it is Aaron Donald’s fault that the run defense sucked? Ogletree was a weak link in that D, so was Quinn when it came to run defense. Wade has always had some degree of trouble with run defense, on his defenses.

It's not his fault at all - I was saying that because you made the point that offensive players need help - i.e. what would Gurley or Goff be without a good OL?

Well, Donald was the best defensive player in the NFL and a top 5 player, yet his unit performed at a barely above average rate overall the past few years. It's sort of the inverse of what you were saying, but it highlights how he can be such a dominant player and yet Atlanta can possess the ball for nearly 40 minutes in the most important game of the season.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Willie McGuiness on NFLN was saying that Donald's play last year was worth winning 2 games. I don't know how he came to that conclusion because I clicked on the segment after that point

If Donald is worth two games a year, is 25 million a year, worth it?

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I thought Tree was more of our liability there, myself.
Me too. It was amazing how easily Ogletree was taken out of the play by almost anyone. I think even Hekker could have blocked him...

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
Me too. It was amazing how easily Ogletree was taken out of the play by almost anyone. I think even Hekker could have blocked him...

I think Tree’s bad angles were what tended to take him out of the play. I liked Tree but he was a whif waiting to happen.

tempests

Hall of Fame
Willie McGuiness on NFLN was saying that Donald's play last year was worth winning 2 games. I don't know how he came to that conclusion because I clicked on the segment after that point

If Donald is worth two games a year, is 25 million a year, worth it?

Assuming that's true, then Donald could be the difference between 9-7 and 11-5. Or 11-5 and 13-3.

Making the playoffs or missing them, the no 3 seed in the conference or no 1 seed.

He makes the team better, no doubt about that.

Ram65

Legend
Yeah, he started out sounding like the dumb guy at the bar with hyperbolic pontification only to later speak to the superiority over said dumb guy at the bar afforded to him by his access to analytic software.
LNOvnUl.jpg

He does have a point though, after you peel away the drama ... that Mack and Donald aren't worth what they think they are, and that any team foolish enough to give them what they want will run into trouble with the cap.

Would have made more sense to come out and say just that that Mack and Donald aren't worth what they think they are. Then give the reasons. Bring in Cooks and Gurley deals gives a bad slant to the Rams. I'm tired of the media over dramatizing Donald's contract situation. Talk the points much like we have here. There is only so much cap space available and the Rams have to be fiscally responsible or as you say they will get into cap trouble.

Last edited:

12intheBox

Legend
Name
Wil Fay
Would have made more sense to come out and say just that that Mack and Donald aren't worth what they think they are. Then give the reasons. Bring in Cooks and Gurley deals gives a bad slant to the Rams. I'm tired of the media over dramatizing Donald's contract situation. Talk the points much like we have here. There only so much cap space available and the Rams have to be fiscally responsible or as you say they will get into cap trouble.

The national media has been especially lazy in reporting on Donald. I have heard crap takes like, 'The Rams haven't made him a priority' or 'They chose to pay the offense'. In a world where only the headlines are read by 95% of the people out there, its especially frusterating - not that it really matters what talking heads think - AD knows that the Rams have been at the table taking his extension seriously since last year.

Ram65

Legend
How the Los Angeles Rams’ contract layout would look with an extension for DL Aaron Donald
The Rams are rumored to be close to locking up DPOY Aaron Donald with a long-term megadeal. Here’s how it would look afterward in terms of the other major players on expiring deals.
By misone

https://www.turfshowtimes.com/2018/...cts-salary-cap-aaron-donald-extension-holdout

That's good enough for it's own thread. Rams are getting their core players signed. Gurley, Woods, Cooks (Kupp and Everett 3 years on rookie deals). Soon Donald, Goff and Peters. They have the cap to resign more current players like Brockers, Hav and Brown if they want too. I would like to see even a more indepth look at the next three years as far as signed players and the cap. It's amazing how soon draft classes will become free agents.

Stl2La

Hall of Fame
That's good enough for it's own thread. Rams are getting their core players signed. Gurley, Woods, Cooks (Kupp and Everett 3 years on rookie deals). Soon Donald, Goff and Peters. They have the cap to resign more current players like Brockers, Hav and Brown if they want too. I would like to see even a more indepth look at the next three years as far as signed players and the cap. It's amazing how soon draft classes will become free agents.

Rams will be getting a lot of comp picks too. Two 3rd round picks most likely for tru and Sammy. Then another 3rd after next year for suh(assuming we don’t resign him). Probably get a few other later round comp picks as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.