Aaron Donald’s contract situation

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ram65

Legend
The national media has been especially lazy in reporting on Donald. I have heard crap takes like, 'The Rams haven't made him a priority' or 'They chose to pay the offense'. In a world where only the headlines are read by 95% of the people out there, its especially frusterating - not that it really matters what talking heads think - AD knows that the Rams have been at the table taking his extension seriously since last year.

All the while the Rams have been working at getting a deal done. It bothers me to know end. Lot's of opinions mostly favoring Donald. More than half the media on NFLN are former players so of course they side with the player. Lot's of frustrating things about the Donald Deal. The Deal just can't come soon enough.

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
With that post, we are in the 90s.

And it's the final countdown!!!! The #questfor100 is within reach!!!!!

Akrasian

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Replacing Donald with Suh just might make the rams run defense better,

Posters are complaining, but the thing is - AD is the best DT in the league, and by far is the best pass rusher among DTs in the league. But on the Rams, I would put Brockers as better at run defense, and it is possible that Suh is better too. Just because somebody is the best overall at their position does not mean that he is the best at every part of the skillset.

Ram65

Legend
Rams will be getting a lot of comp picks too. Two 3rd round picks most likely for tru and Sammy. Then another 3rd after next year for suh(assuming we don’t resign him). Probably get a few other later round comp picks as well.

Great point. Just read that the Rams could get a 7th rounder for Cody Davis next year too. Looks like they don't have their 7th rounder traded to the Giants and they don't have their 2nd rounder they traded away for Peters. Those comp picks are very valuable. All things considered starting with the Goff trade the Rams have managed not to mortgage their future drafts while turning the franchise around.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap30...jecting-compensatory-picks-for-2019-nfl-draft

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2019_NFL_Draft#Round_1

Psycho_X

Legend
With that post, we are in the 90s.

And it's the final countdown!!!! The #questfor100 is within reach!!!!!

giphy.gif

12intheBox

Legend
Name
Wil Fay
Posters are complaining, but the thing is - AD is the best DT in the league, and by far is the best pass rusher among DTs in the league. But on the Rams, I would put Brockers as better at run defense, and it is possible that Suh is better too. Just because somebody is the best overall at their position does not mean that he is the best at every part of the skillset.

Agreed that you can be the best at your position and not the best at every part of the skillset but I have to say - AD is superb against the run - its just apples and oranges - he and Brockers are asked to do different things. AD is asked to penatrate - to blow up the backfield - not to hold the point of attack - they are just way different assignments. We are lucky to have both skillsets on the team.

Akrasian

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Agreed that you can be the best at your position and not the best at every part of the skillset but I have to say - AD is superb against the run - its just apples and oranges - he and Brockers are asked to do different things. AD is asked to penatrate - to blow up the backfield - not to hold the point of attack - they are just way different assignments. We are lucky to have both skillsets on the team.

Absolutely. If he were expected to hold the line instead of penetrating, he would have fewer TFLs and fewer sacks, most likely. It wouldn't be taking full advantage of his amazing quickness for his size. However, quite probably there would be fewer running backs making it past him to the second level. Sometimes it's a trade-off. But the original post still stands - there is a realistic chance that with Suh instead of Donald overall the Rams' defense against the run would be better.

12intheBox

Legend
Name
Wil Fay
Absolutely. If he were expected to hold the line instead of penetrating, he would have fewer TFLs and fewer sacks, most likely. It wouldn't be taking full advantage of his amazing quickness for his size. However, quite probably there would be fewer running backs making it past him to the second level. Sometimes it's a trade-off. But the original post still stands - there is a realistic chance that with Suh instead of Donald overall the Rams' defense against the run would be better.

I suppose it depends on what Suh is being asked to do. If he is being asked to shoot the gap, then when the RB is on a quick hitter to another hole, they are going to run right by just like it looks like they are doing with AD. Donald isn't freelancing out there to the detriment of the run D - he is doing what he is asked.

This is why draw plays work - btw - when the defensive goal is to penatrate into the backfield, lanes will be open to run through.

AllGasNoBrakes

Air Traffic Controller
I suppose it depends on what Suh is being asked to do. If he is being asked to shoot the gap, then when the RB is on a quick hitter to another hole, they are going to run right by just like it looks like they are doing with AD. Donald isn't freelancing out there to the detriment of the run D - he is doing what he is asked.

This is why draw plays work - btw - when the defensive goal is to penatrate into the backfield, lanes will be open to run through.

This is where our Linebackers have to play better. The D Line penetrating was not the problem it was the LB’s not being able to clean up after them. Missed tackles by Ogletree and Barron galore last year.

This is why a run stuffer is such an important piece in Wade’s D, hoping that Littleton or Wilson really step up in this role.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
We still know nothing, haven't learned anything new...
But still, I love that the tone has changed to "its only a matter of time before he signs"

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
You do realize Aaron is going to sign when we are on p. 99 and @CGI_Ram will close this thread, start a new thread, as this one drifts off into obscurity.

No way. This thread will get to #100 even if we have to fill it with endless speculations based on anonymous sources and gifs that make no sense...oh wait.

funny-gifs-Life.gif

iamme33

Pro Bowler
Name
dan
I was for signing ad but lately I have been thinking we should trade him. if we can trade him for 1st round pick and cap savings. we could resign the hole ol and keep joyner and maybe extend peters plus have a 1st round pick. knot to worry for those who want to resign ad by my saying I want to trade him that means he will be signed with in a week.

Status
Not open for further replies.