Aaron Donald’s contract situation

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.
Status
Not open for further replies.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
I do have a bit of a sneaking suspicion that AD’s agents are demanding too much and possibly the Rams grabbed Suh as more of a safety blanket in the event that they couldn’t mortgage the team in order to give him the kind of contract they were seeking. In that case they could trade AD in 2019 as they would still own his rights in the worst case scenario that he held out all season. Am I right in that last part?

In this none too exciting scenario, they could retain Suh with a better offer than he’d likely get elsewhere, still have one of the most dominant DTs in the league and use the trade value they got to keep the team in contention.

PressureD41

Les Snead's Draft Advisor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Eddy
Being that he is still under contract, don’t they automatically go up?
Ya, What I think happens is Donald "misses time", gets fines, then will end up signing new deal and those fines get forgiven as long as he doesn't go deep into the season. Thats my "uneducated understanding" anyways

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
That may be. But as long as they get it done in time for him to get some practices in along side Suh, I’ll be satisfied.

On another note, doesn’t AD get penalized even heavier for holding out this time around if he chooses that route again?
I completely agree about Donald and Suh!! That is really what I want to see most!! Add Brockers into the mix, so all 3 get use to each others moves!!

I have no clue how the Fines work.

RamBall

Legend
Camp Reporter
Name
Dave
I do have a bit of a sneaking suspicion that AD’s agents are demanding too much and possibly the Rams grabbed Suh as more of a safety blanket in the event that they couldn’t mortgage the team in order to give him the kind of contract they were seeking. In that case they could trade AD in 2019 as they would still own his rights in the worst case scenario that he held out all season. Am I right in that last part?

In this none too exciting scenario, they could retain Suh with a better offer than he’d likely get elsewhere, still have one of the most dominant DTs in the league and use the trade value they got to keep the team in contention.

I also think signing Suh was just as much an insurance policy as it was about having the most dominate DL in the NFL. I'm not concerned so much with the OTAs but I would like to see AD in TC working with his new teammates, especially the week I am there so my grandson can get his autograph.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon

AD sure likes Pittsburgh of the North Eastern part of the US too.......I said it before LA is a long distance from his home ...some people just get home sick....I believe that AD does not like LA life style. Here is two latest news articles involving AD below:

https://theramswire.usatoday.com/20...aron-donald-connor-barwin-workout-free-agent/

https://theramswire.usatoday.com/20...on-donald-sean-mcvay-holdout-contract-update/

dang

Legend
It will be interesting to see how this plays out. I have faith the Rams FO is making all the right moves but it will be extremely disappointing if the 2 sides cannot get this signed before training camp. I sure hope the communication lines are wide open so both sides know exactly what the other is thinking.

Faceplant

Still celebrating Superbowl LVI
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Pick'em Champion
I have said all along that I think AD wants to go back east and he might make life miserable until the Rams finally give up on an extension and/or trade him. If that is the case, the Rams have a couple of choices. Tag him for 3 more years and let him go or trade him for a haul.

OregonRamsFan

All Horned Up
Rams On Demand Sponsor
AD sure likes Pittsburgh of the North Eastern part of the US too.......I said it before LA is a long distance from his home ...some people just get home sick....I believe that AD does not like LA life style. Here is two latest news articles involving AD below:

https://theramswire.usatoday.com/20...aron-donald-connor-barwin-workout-free-agent/

https://theramswire.usatoday.com/20...on-donald-sean-mcvay-holdout-contract-update/
Exactly what I was thinking. I think AD wants to be in Pittsburgh. Or he wants big money to stay. Just a hunch on my part.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
I have said all along that I think AD wants to go back east and he might make life miserable until the Rams finally give up on an extension and/or trade him. If that is the case, the Rams have a couple of choices. Tag him for 3 more years and let him go or trade him for a haul.
Exactly what I was thinking. I think AD wants to be in Pittsburgh. Or he wants big money to stay. Just a hunch on my part.

Lets see stay in Pittsburgh Pennsylvania from January till first of September near 9 months of the year ...or just live is LA southern California :thinking::notsure::cautious::unsure::confused:o_O:doh::palm:

Is it home-sickness?:sick:

Last edited:

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Pittsburgh has cap issues of their own, and after Roethlisberger hangs em up, they will be lousy.
I really would have thought that they would have signed him by now, but will keep the faith that they finally do

iamme33

Pro Bowler
Name
dan

a question for everyone would you rather have Donald and no gulley or 2 first round draft picks and 23 to25 mil in cap savings

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu

Hey now. This was my theory way back in this thread or one of the other 500 threads on AD. :mad::ROFLMAO:

I really do think this plays in. He and his dad seem to be thick as thieves and he really likes going back home. He just doesn't seem like an LA kind of guy.

We'll see but I hate the vibe I'm getting. I want AD in horns long term. But after last year and with it going this long, I can't help but think the phone lines are heating up for some kind of block buster type trade. It might even come down that he plays for less to play for the Steelers.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
a question for everyone would you rather have Donald and no gulley or 2 first round draft picks and 23 to25 mil in cap savings
I would rather have a team that is a legitimate threat for the SB - no matter how that shakes out. No one player is going to get us there but one great player like AD can make an entire defense click. It's not an either/or question for me.

nighttrain

Legend
Hey now. This was my theory way back in this thread or one of the other 500 threads on AD. :mad::ROFLMAO:

I really do think this plays in. He and his dad seem to be thick as thieves and he really likes going back home. He just doesn't seem like an LA kind of guy.

We'll see but I hate the vibe I'm getting. I want AD in horns long term. But after last year and with it going this long, I can't help but think the phone lines are heating up for some kind of block buster type trade. It might even come down that he plays for less to play for the Steelers.
if ya paid attention to the look on his wife's face last season, well my interpretation is she hates all things LA
train

ReekofRams

Hall of Fame
Name
Reek
Maybe it's just me, but I got a sinking feeling when I read that the Rams are "optimistic" about getting a deal done with Donald.

This shouldn't be this difficult - you either make him the highest paid defensive player or you don't.
Remember though, Khalil Mack has not signed yet, and since they both want to be the highest paid defensive player, they're most likely playing a game of cat and mouse.

On one of the scenes on Behind the Grind Donald stated that the Rams called him and asked for his ok on signing Ndamukong Suh, to which he was excited about.

This doesn't take place without 100% confidence from both sides that a deal between them will get done.

Dieter the Brock

Fourth responder
Remember though, Khalil Mack has not signed yet, and since they both want to be the highest paid defensive player, they're most likely playing a game of cat and mouse.

On one of the scenes on Behind the Grind Donald stated that the Rams called him and asked for his ok on signing Ndamukong Suh, to which he was excited about.

This doesn't take place without 100% confidence from both sides that a deal between them will get done.

I totally agree
Mack is waiting for AD and AD is waiting for Mack
It's about the cash
Deal is gonna get done - 99 in Horns for the next decade

wolfdogg

Hall of Fame
Name
wolfdogg
If AD really wanted out, his agent would have given an ultimatum long ago so he could settle in with his new team as soon as possible while hoping that they too would want to make him the highest paid defender in NFL history.

And there's no probability that he'd even go to a team hed prefer AND that has as good a chance of a SB or more over the next few years.

Coach says AD's texting back and their communication is an improvement from last off zeason. Im pretty sure from mcvays demeanor tthat the texts have nothing to do with being traded.

His wife's expression may have been from a bad day or constipation, or maybe she was late to go shopping on rodeo drive.

You guys are getting yourselves all worked up in a tizzy. AD is going nowhere. I'll bet my sanity on it.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
You guys are getting yourselves all worked up in a tizzy. AD is going nowhere. I'll bet my sanity on it.
I think a tizzy is going a bit far. It's just discussing observations. We'll see how it all unfolds.

Status
Not open for further replies.