Aaron Donald’s contract situation

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Akrasian

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
We'll see but I hate the vibe I'm getting. I want AD in horns long term. But after last year and with it going this long, I can't help but think the phone lines are heating up for some kind of block buster type trade. It might even come down that he plays for less to play for the Steelers.

I would think that if they were going to trade him, it would have happened before free agency, so the Rams could spend the money elsewhere, and so picks they got could be used for 2018.

I suppose his agent could have seen what happened with contracts in free agency, and suddenly tacked another $5 million per year onto his demands. But I doubt that. I think they're waiting for Mack.

JoeBo21

Hall of Fame
giphy.gif

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Maybe it's just me, but I got a sinking feeling when I read that the Rams are "optimistic" about getting a deal done with Donald.

This shouldn't be this difficult - you either make him the highest paid defensive player or you don't.

I do have a bit of a sneaking suspicion that AD’s agents are demanding too much and possibly the Rams grabbed Suh as more of a safety blanket in the event that they couldn’t mortgage the team in order to give him the kind of contract they were seeking. In that case they could trade AD in 2019 as they would still own his rights in the worst case scenario that he held out all season. Am I right in that last part?

I feel the same as you dudes tbh, and have for some time now. The truth is any player can price himself off of any team. The truth is also that Demoff has not exactly proven he can sign elite players.

Didn't like the signing of Suh, felt like it was idiotic to chase another 3T when you're trying to lock up AD. Still feel that way. I don't think he'll be an impact guy on the nose outside passing downs, but hopefully I'm wrong. So as this offseason unfolds eerily like last year's and all this spin starts coming from the Rams, I'm like...

giphy.gif

Just show me a signed player. That's what I want to see, is AD locked the F up. Just get it done.

Ram65

Legend
Is Donald waiting for Khalil Mack to resign?

How much money is too much money for the Rams to give to Aaron Donald?

The Rams are doing the right things publically. They are saying Donald is a priority etc....

We have no idea what is going on between both parties. To say the Rams should just get a deal done is not fair to them. Until we get details we can't make any definite conclusions on why a deal has not been done. Could be any number of reasons. I can see this going to the F Tag with Rams getting a couple more years of service after this year. All we can do do is sit and wait and make more posts.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
I don’t think anyone disagrees; Donald is on a HOF trajectory and the best at his position.

So is Hekker... yet we’d never pay him $20MM per season.

Detroit didn’t keep Suh at the level he was demanding.

Miami released Suh... and not because of play.

I’d lean upon these lessons and prioritize my cap space on other positions. That is not a diss against Donald. It’s just math.

nighttrain

Legend
I don’t think anyone disagrees; Donald is on a HOF trajectory and the best at his position.

I’d lean upon these lessons and prioritize my cap space on other positions. That is not a diss against Donald. It’s just math.
To pay AD and Goff, almost imossible
train

tempests

Hall of Fame

Suh's sack totals have dropped 3 straight seasons. Yes, 20 million is too much for a guy who averages 5 sacks a year.

Eagles paid Fletcher Cox. Most guaranteed $ ever given to a non QB.

Donald had more forced fumbles last season than Suh has his entire career. He's a game wrecker, He is in the conversation for Defensive Player of the Year every season.

Suh never is.

Last edited:

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
Suh's sack totals have dropped 3 straight seasons. Yes, 20 million is too much for a guy who averages 5 sacks a year.

Donald had more forced fumbles last season than Suh has his entire career. He's a game wrecker, He is in the conversation for Defensive Player of the Year every season.

Suh never is.

Donald is everything you say he is. I agree. I LOVE him.

Just not sure we can afford that kind of commitment at his position without weakening the team in ways that still add up to wins. It’s my opinion. Doesn’t mean I am right. The cap is the cap. Only so many contracts can fit. Sucks in that regard.

Makes me sick to post this.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave

Suh never is.
One thing about Suh. It has been reported he is use to being double & Triple Teamed in every game. that's not going to happen with Donald on the same D-Line!! So I want to see IF he has a " Break-Out-Year"!(y)

Legatron4

Legend
Name
Wes
I will say, the FO has been very disappointing when it comes to these contract extensions. Misusing the franchise tag, extending guys like Austin. It's getting to the point where if we don't sign Donald to a long term deal, maybe it's time to look in a different direction.

We all have our own opinions, but this deal should have been done last year. He is the best DT ever. $20 million per year should get it done.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
Short term...$22-25 million...guaranteed....3 years...so...$66-75 million guaranteed...

Ram65

Legend
Short term...$22-25 million...guaranteed....3 years...so...$66-75 million guaranteed...

Rams won't want to do a short term deal. A four or five year extension that ups this years money would be better for the Rams and Donald. As it is they have this year and most likely two F Tags to use. It's not only the amount of money but the contract length that both sides have to agree on.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams won't want to do a short term deal. A four or five year extension that ups this years money would be better for the Rams and Donald. As it is they have this year and most likely two F Tags to use. It's not only the amount of money but the contract length that both sides have to agree on.
Rams don’t have the space in 2018 to up his cap hit this year.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Yes they are up against the cap. Well he will get more up front signing bonus money.
As long as it hits next years cap we’re golden. Atlanta worked Matt Ryan’s contract so the signing bonusstarted hitting this year.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
As long as it hits next years cap we’re golden. Atlanta worked Matt Ryan’s contract so the signing bonus started hitting this year.
I've seen it mentioned from the Rams perspective that his contract wasn't an issue cap wise. And I cant ever recall seeing the team say that the cap was preventing the signing.
Have to believe them on this, there are ways to make it work.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I've seen it mentioned from the Rams perspective that his contract wasn't an issue cap wise. And I cant ever recall seeing the team say that the cap was preventing the signing.
Have to believe them on this, there are ways to make it work.
I’m not disagreeing with them at all. Like I stated there isn’t cap space this year so there isn’t room for signing bonuses to hit this year like Ryan’s deal. He’s going to play this year with his current cap hit. They’ve said all along there was cap space for AD, they just never said what year they were talking about.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I’m not disagreeing with them at all. Like I stated there isn’t cap space this year so there isn’t room for signing bonuses to hit this year like Ryan’s deal. He’s going to play this year with his current cap hit. They’ve said all along there was cap space for AD, they just never said what year they were talking about.
If they gave him a 5 year extension for "X" and with that a 30 mill signing bonus, the additional cap hit would only be 5 mill for 2018, which basically Spotrac says is available for the current top 51. If there's a will there's a way. Seems to me the "X" is the bigger issue

Status
Not open for further replies.