Aaron Donald’s contract situation

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.
Status
Not open for further replies.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

They have cameras everywhere in the rams facility. If a player scratched his bum they put out a video of it. Why can't they have a live feed of contract negotiations between the rams and ad's agent? Would make riveting viewing. Just imagine, "That should be a comma there not a full stop. This word should be "and" not "or". Does Aaron look like a bitch? Why are you trying to fuck him".

Last edited:

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
Testing, RamsFan503, testing!:rockon: I wonder if I would get banned for dredging every Aaron Donald thread in RODS history, from the dead.? ha!
Well I could just block you from participating in any of them. But then again if you did it might give us some easy merge targets. But let’s dont and say we did... or did not.

Memphis Ram

Legend
I wonder what Donald's contract demands might look like after playing a season with Suh next to him and Talib and Peters covering guys in the secondary. 2018 might be his best season yet.

Ramrasta

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
Name
Tyler
Not sure I understand the logic. First, regarding the 2 players mentioned, no one knows yet what Cooks and his agent are looking for yet in an extended contract. We don't know if the Franchise tag is necessary.
Second, wouldn't it make better sense to use the tag on a player that's asking for a much higher percentage over the average of their position? ie, hypothetical, if the average of the 5 highest paid CB's was 14-Mil a season and your player is asking 16, you would work with them to come to an agreement because the difference is so small. On the other hand, if the average wage for a player is 14-mil and they're asking fro 20-mil, then use the Tag. You'll pay the player more than 14 but less than 20
IMO, teams that pay non-QB players in the range of 20-mil per season, the amount I have heard mentioned to sign A. Donald, do not stay competitive for long. 75% of the teams that went to the playoffs last year didn't have a defender on their roster with a salary over 15-mil.

We have to make up our minds here. If we tag Donald, we are likely going to lose either Peters or Cooks and possibly both. If we have Donald signed, we have the franchise tag to retain at least one of them. If we tag Donald, he will leave LA for sure. He made it clear that he was looking for a big contract with the holdout last season and there are plenty of teams willing to pay him that.

Sure, we can tag him, but there is no guarantee he won’t just hold out again and he would leave the first chance he gets. If we can’t fathom paying him the deal he deserves then we need to trade him. No matter how you slice it, Donald is going to get his money.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
We have to make up our minds here. If we tag Donald, we are likely going to lose either Peters or Cooks and possibly both. If we have Donald signed, we have the franchise tag to retain at least one of them. If we tag Donald, he will leave LA for sure. He made it clear that he was looking for a big contract with the holdout last season and there are plenty of teams willing to pay him that.

Sure, we can tag him, but there is no guarantee he won’t just hold out again and he would leave the first chance he gets. If we can’t fathom paying him the deal he deserves then we need to trade him. No matter how you slice it, Donald is going to get his money.
I would always choose an all pro Linemen over flashing pretty toys like a DB or a WR.....

Why did the Miami Dolphins release a fully healthy all pro star DT like Suh......could we state that Suh is in the same area code as DT Aaron Donald talent-wise? :thinking:

The financial realities that led to Suh being released—Suh's contract was strangling :help: Miami team's ability to add players to contend & fill the major holes each season in its roster. Most know that its understandable. I feel there will be major consequences for any of these moves .... some evident quickly some later next season & beyond.

I do not see the Rams winning here on this one issue with AD contract event ....even if they sign AD or if they don't.:(:sadwalk:

I still will maintain that when you have a blossoming healthy un-damaged franchise pocket passer QB teamed up with a fresh NFL offensive HC genius McVay.... you should invest in keeping him protected with the cap funds first...Rams stand a high possibility to loose four of the starting OL'ers @ the conclusion of this season (Saffold/Havenstein/Brown & Whitworth) who help protect the team biggest most important investment.

How will you be able to replace just a piece of that OL with all these future big $$$ contracts with DT Aaron Donald, WR Cooks, CB Peters & then RB Gurley, DT Brockers & QB Goff? :doh:

Ramrasta

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
Name
Tyler
I would always choose an all pro Linemen over flashing pretty toys like a DB or a WR.....

Why did the Miami Dolphins release a fully healthy all pro star DT like Suh......could we state that Suh is in the same area code as DT Aaron Donald talent-wise? :thinking:

The financial realities that led to Suh being released—Suh's contract was strangling :help: Miami team's ability to add players to contend & fill the major holes each season in its roster. Most know that its understandable. I feel there will be major consequences for any of these moves .... some evident quickly some later next season & beyond.

I do not see the Rams winning here on this one issue with AD contract event ....even if they sign AD or if they don't.:(:sadwalk:

I still will maintain that when you have a blossoming healthy un-damaged franchise pocket passer QB teamed up with a fresh NFL offensive HC genius McVay.... you should invest in keeping him protected with the cap funds first...Rams stand a high possibility to loose four of the starting OL'ers @ the conclusion of this season (Saffold/Havenstein/Brown & Whitworth) who help protect the team biggest most important investment.

How will you be able to replace just a piece of that OL with all these future big $$$ contracts with DT Aaron Donald, WR Cooks, CB Peters & then RB Gurley, DT Brockers & QB Goff? :doh:

I have never been a fan of choosing cap space over a stacked roster. When we made the decision to acquire all these players like Peters, Cooks, and Talib, we made the decision to enter cap hell for awhile.
The alternative is that we mortgaged our future for rentals. Then we neither have quality veterans or promising rookie talent and we are back to rebuild mode. You can make a case for not paying a defensive player top tier money but then you should at least trade him in order to get something to bridge the gap.
The worst thing we can do is what we did with Watkins. Trade high draft picks/young players for a one year rental and then just let him walk. We might get a compensatory pick but it’s not equal value.
I have seen teams win Super Bowls with an elite offense/average defense and an average offense/elite defense. We have the rare opportunity to have not only an elite offense and elite defense but also an elite special teams. We want to keep that foundation in place as many years as we can in order to boost our chances at a title. (My bet is we probably only have a two year window at this point).

Memphis Ram

Legend
I can see a scenario where the Rams can pay Donald, Suh, Peters, Cooks, Gurley, and Goff and still field a team that can compete for a championship.

It's just a matter of good drafting and continuing to move on from some of the lesser essential/impactful players with bigger deals (like they did with Quinn, Ogletree, & Austin) while also picking up solid, perhaps stopgap, veterans in the 2nd or 3rd phase of free agency.

For example, cheaper personnel like Noteboom, Demby, and Allen and/or future draftees/ undrafted free agents have to be able to replace guys like Whitworth, Saffold, and Sullivan ($26 million plus 2018 cap space).

Guys like Joyner, Brockers, and Barron cannot have double digit non-front loaded cap numbers for what they bring to the table total impactwise ($32 million plus 2018 cap space). They'll probaby have to be replaced by draft selections or other cheaper alternatives on the current roster or in future drafts.

PressureD41

Les Snead's Draft Advisor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Eddy

They have cameras everywhere in the rams facility. If a player scratched his bum they put out a video of it. Why can't they have a live feed of contract negotiations between the rams and ad's agent? Would make riveting viewing. Just imagine, "That should be a comma there not a full stop. This word should be "and" not "or". Does Aaron look like a bitch? Why are you trying to freak him".

Sooo good!!!! :rolllaugh:

PressureD41

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Eddy
Maybe the contract talks went a little something like this:

Ram65

Legend
I can see a scenario where the Rams can pay Donald, Suh, Peters, Cooks, Gurley, and Goff and still field a team that can compete for a championship.

It's just a matter of good drafting and continuing to move on from some of the lesser essential/impactful players with bigger deals (like they did with Quinn, Ogletree, & Austin) while also picking up solid, perhaps stopgap, veterans in the 2nd or 3rd phase of free agency.

For example, cheaper personnel like Noteboom, Demby, and Allen and/or future draftees/ undrafted free agents have to be able to replace guys like Whitworth, Saffold, and Sullivan ($26 million plus 2018 cap space).

Guys like Joyner, Brockers, and Barron cannot have double digit non-front loaded cap numbers for what they bring to the table total impact wise ($32 million plus 2018 cap space). They'll probably have to be replaced by draft selections or other cheaper alternatives on the current roster or in future drafts.

That would be awesome. I got the impression that Snead has a plan to get most of them resigned. It's become difficult if you don't get deals done before they become free agents. I agree with how you have to fill in other positions. These players may have to give in a little bite to stay LA Rams. Hopefully, we get a couple to resign over the next month or two to get things rolling. The money is there and the Rams are making the moves to save money elsewhere. We have to let it play out.

FrantikRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Maybe it's just me, but I got a sinking feeling when I read that the Rams are "optimistic" about getting a deal done with Donald.

This shouldn't be this difficult - you either make him the highest paid defensive player or you don't.

Ram65

Legend
Maybe it's just me, but I got a sinking feeling when I read that the Rams are "optimistic" about getting a deal done with Donald.

This shouldn't be this difficult - you either make him the highest paid defensive player or you don't.

How much higher is the difficult part.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

Imo they’re in a no win situation talking about it. If they acted supremely confident fans would criticize them for that and if they said they were struggling with it they’re in the same boat. But the bigger thing is AD’s agents reaction. What they are saying is the middle road and imo the best way to handle it. They’re talking him up, stressing they are talking with his agents and telling us they’re working on it. They’re managing his agents egos as much as they’re negotiating, as somebody who works on contracts, on a smaller level, this is a solid approach that usually leads to success.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
For me the best case scenario is they get this contract done in time for Donald to come in and Fully participate in OTA's and Training Camp. That would be the Best thing for the Teams readiness going into Pre-Season and the Regular Season!! JMHO

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
For me the best case scenario is they get this contract done in time for Donald to come in and Fully participate in OTA's and Training Camp. That would be the Best thing for the Teams readiness going into Pre-Season and the Regular Season!! JMHO
That may be. But as long as they get it done in time for him to get some practices in along side Suh, I’ll be satisfied.

On another note, doesn’t AD get penalized even heavier for holding out this time around if he chooses that route again?

PressureD41

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Eddy
In theory the fines should be heavier, but in most cases they get waved upon signing new deal

Status
Not open for further replies.