Aaron Donald’s contract situation

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Zaphod

Hall of Fame
I have no problem ignoring it, on purpose. It's not our money and it's Keven Demoff's job to spend wisely. It's his job to figure the CAP out now, and in the future. If he signs AD for 25 million, then I believe he has thought it through to a level that goes beyond our understanding. Not saying we're stupid, but he gets paid to do this, so I trust him as he has done a pretty d@mn good job so far.
And if he doesn't sign him for that, because it would hamstring the team's future with other players, then you would agree with Demoff not spending Kroenke's money?

Also, I'm going to have to offer a dissenting perspective for Demoff's ability to negotiate contracts for players that can't go wrong - Tavon Austin.
We see bad contracts hurt teams all the time in the NFL.

That's how pay the man gets so easily gets translated as stick it to the man. If he doesn't want to abide by his current contract, fine him, franchise him and let him try to make up the pay of two or three lost seasons all due to an agent playing on his ego for that highest played status.

There's no finance magic here, he already lost out on free agent status, his agent is screwing him, and he's just going to keep losing money the longer he steps on it.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
And if he doesn't sign him for that, because it would hamstring the team's future with other players, then you would agree with Demoff not spending Kroenke's money?

Also, I'm going to have to offer a dissenting perspective for Demoff's ability to negotiate contracts for players that can't go wrong - Tavon Austin.
We see bad contracts hurt teams all the time in the NFL.

That's how pay the man gets so easily gets translated as stick it to the man. If he doesn't want to abide by his current contract, fine him, franchise him and let him try to make up the pay of two or three lost seasons all due to an agent playing on his ego for that highest played status.

There's no finance magic here, he already lost out on free agent status, his agent is screwing him, and he's just going to keep losing money the longer he steps on it.

I could have sworn I said that already (“And if he doesn’t sign for that...”) And as much as I didn’t like TA deal, you are comparing apples and oranges. I said that Demoff was very good at managing the CAP and would sign a deal with AD that would make sense (wouldn’t hamstring the team). TA’ s deal, like Ogletree’s deal, didn’t prevent the moves we made this year, did they? Individual deals can be bad, but they don’t necessarily put said team in CAP hell.

Zaphod

Hall of Fame
I could have sworn I said that already (“And if he doesn’t sign for that...”) And as much as I didn’t like TA deal, you are comparing apples and oranges. I said that Demoff was very good at managing the CAP and would sign a deal with AD that would make sense (wouldn’t hamstring the team). TA’ s deal, like Ogletree’s deal, didn’t prevent the moves we made this year, did they? Individual deals can be bad, but they don’t necessarily put said team in CAP hell.
Individual deals add up.

Akrasian

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
If you can draft well and mine the UDFA pool, talent will be available to you. If you can develop a system that plays to player strengths, you will have depth.

The state of Denver's roster cannot be ascribed to Von Miller's contract, but to Elway's drafting. Outside of their first round pick, their 2017 draft class was limited to almost exclusively special teams contributions only. They're on their fourth different starting QB since P Manning retired. That's another issue.

Von Miller restructured his contract and allowed them to pursue Case Keenum. Miller is taking up less than 6% of the 2018 cap, but what will determine the Broncos ability to improve on their record, is whether Keenum can play like he did in Minnesota.

Yes, if you consistently draft more effectively than average, you can mitigate the lack of cap space to some extent. But nobody consistently hits on all their draft picks. And mitigating the lack of cap space does NOT mean you are better off, it just means you are not hurt as much as you could have been. You still lose veteran depth, you still are forced into harder decisions of who to keep, and you still are more dependent on rookies having an impact, and not having them be more than special teams players their rookie year.

Von Miller restructuring his contract just shows that the team realized they couldn't get someone they really needed with Von Miller being very expensive. It actually provides evidence that such a huge contract hurts needed flexibility and depth.

VegasRam

Give your dog a hug.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Doug
See Reggie White.

And Von Miller was a huge reason the Broncos made 2 superbowls, winning one of them.

Edit - plus demarcus ware.

Miller, Ware and White were not DTs, (and I think Manning and Favre had a little to do with it as well).
Read the original post.

Akrasian

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I agree he did , but he’s not a DT.

And, as has been pointed out - he played before the salary cap. In fact, his last season was the year before the cap started.

Plus he played mainly in the '80s - before so many of the rule changes that favored the passing attack over running backs and over the defense. It's just not the same game now, though similar in many ways I suppose.

But given that LT played for a big market team, there's no reason to believe that LTs salary impacted the Giants' depth in any way. But that's not the case with stars now a days - hard choices have to be made at times.

Akrasian

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
They do, but Demoff has managed them all so far, with front loaded deals.

1) Every offseason there is griping about the Rams not signing players that players want from other teams, tied in to cap space. There is also griping about players not being resigned. The managing is maybe not as rosy as you are claiming.

2) This past season was the first winning season since Demoff started working for the Rams. It is FAR too early to claim that Demoff will be able to handle cap issues related to having a bunch of star players on their second contract.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
1) Every offseason there is griping about the Rams not signing players that players want from other teams, tied in to cap space. There is also griping about players not being resigned. The managing is maybe not as rosy as you are claiming.

2) This past season was the first winning season since Demoff started working for the Rams. It is FAR too early to claim that Demoff will be able to handle cap issues related to having a bunch of star players on their second contract.
Just because there is griping by fans with limited knowledge, doesn’t prove your point. I’ll admit that I griped about Jenkins and later TruJo not being re-signed, but then I didn’t realize Talib and Peters were coming. We just don’t have the information about goals per position, nor the extended plans they may have. Regardless of whether we re-sign players that are favorites, choices have to be made, with Demoff informed by football people as to which players should be kept. It will never be perfect.

Rosy? Naw, it’s never rosy. But by and large, Demoff is disciplined in the way he operates

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Oh, and Von Miller made a huge difference to the Broncos - on his rookie contract. When he took over 10% of the cap space for the first time in 2017 they were 5-11. There were many reasons for that - but Von Miller so far has not provided a justification for paying a defender a huge amount. And he's an edge rusher, a position that normally gets paid more than a DT.

i'm sure p manning retiring had nothing to do with that.

even the best defenders need an offense for them to make a difference in games.

Akrasian

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
i'm sure p manning retiring had nothing to do with that.

even the best defenders need an offense for them to make a difference in games.

Peyton Manning had retired 2 years before - and was horrible his last season. Without Peyton the following season (the one before Von Miller had a big pay jump) the Broncos were 9-7.

But yes, they needed an offense still. Sort of my point. Sacrifices had to be made in terms of who they paid, since Von Miller started earning well over 10% of the cap. It hurt depth, it meant they didn't have the resources to put in important places. When some players didn't work out, the Broncos didn't have the depth available to overcome problems. One of the likely results that comes with paying a position more than it impacts the field.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Peyton Manning had retired 2 years before - and was horrible his last season. Without Peyton the following season (the one before Von Miller had a big pay jump) the Broncos were 9-7.

But yes, they needed an offense still. Sort of my point. Sacrifices had to be made in terms of who they paid, since Von Miller started earning well over 10% of the cap. It hurt depth, it meant they didn't have the resources to put in important places. When some players didn't work out, the Broncos didn't have the depth available to overcome problems. One of the likely results that comes with paying a position more than it impacts the field.

the difference here is that the rams have their whole offense intact for at least the next 3 years. hopefully the oline they drafted this year develop into good starters.

Akrasian

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
the difference here is that the rams have their whole offense intact for at least the next 3 years. hopefully the oline they drafted this year develop into good starters.

Well, their offense except the entire OL will be intact. Yes, hopefully draft picks will come through without too many bumps in the road. Of course, that means much of their draft collateral will need to be used to pick OL, leaving less to fill in holes on the defense.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu

not long now.

brockers - suh - donald

knob.gif

That's pretty damn funny. :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

1maGoh

Hall of Fame
Donald gets more pressure than edge rushers do though. He’s not your typical DT.
He's getting less sacks than premier edge rushers though. I haven't looked at the numbers, but it would have to be a lot more pressures to make up for the extra 6 or more sacks that premier edge rushers are getting.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
He's getting less sacks than premier edge rushers though. I haven't looked at the numbers, but it would have to be a lot more pressures to make up for the extra 6 or more sacks that premier edge rushers are getting.

He gets the kind of pressure qbs hate the most, straight up the middle.

Status
Not open for further replies.