Aaron Donald’s contract situation

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
99kSpW5.png

Akrasian

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
But JJ Watt is an injury waiting to happen. AD has been rock solid, like Merlin Olsen was solid (14-15 straight years). It's not our money,*shrugs, so if they can make it work at less than 25 million a year, I could care less about the a few measly million spent by a multibillion dollar company named the LA Rams.

JJ Watt didn't miss a game his first 5 seasons. He was rock solid, not an injury waiting to happen - until injuries began to happen. He also won DPOY 3 times in those 5 seasons, so I don't think he was badly outclassed by AD's talent level.

And again - it's not the money per se - it's the cap space that matters. It doesn't matter how much the Rams make - regardless of their profitability, there is a limited amount they are allowed to spend on players. Every extra dollar going to AD is a dollar less going to other players, which ultimately means good players can't be resigned, or holes filled with a free agent. All the more so, since paying him extra than the team has budgeted because he held out encourages other players to hold out. You don't think EVERY agent in the league isn't keeping a close eye on the negotiations, to see if they can gain an advantage in future negotiations?

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
JJ Watt didn't miss a game his first 5 seasons. He was rock solid, not an injury waiting to happen - until injuries began to happen. He also won DPOY 3 times in those 5 seasons, so I don't think he was badly outclassed by AD's talent level.

And again - it's not the money per se - it's the cap space that matters. It doesn't matter how much the Rams make - regardless of their profitability, there is a limited amount they are allowed to spend on players. Every extra dollar going to AD is a dollar less going to other players, which ultimately means good players can't be resigned, or holes filled with a free agent. All the more so, since paying him extra than the team has budgeted because he held out encourages other players to hold out. You don't think EVERY agent in the league isn't keeping a close eye on the negotiations, to see if they can gain an advantage in future negotiations?
Of course I know all of that. I believe I said "if they can make it work."I have nothing invested in how much they pay the DT position, because I don't care. Demoff won't make a deal with AD that will crash the Rams future. He always has a view to the future, and is a master at trick-fukking the CAP. It's apparent that fans, by and large, don't understand all the financial weapons in his arsenal (me included). Demoff won't let us go wrong, so whatever they pay Donald, I'm cool with it.

dang

Legend
I think we all see that Donald is in no hurry. He doesn't need nor want preseason (see all the injuries coming out just after 1 week). With that said - all indications are the Rams are playing ball and offering to make him the highest paid non-QB in the history of the NFL. If he misses ANY regular season games - he will be tagged as the BAD guy. So here's to hoping this ends within the next 3 weeks so he can be ready to go for Game 1.

VegasRam

Give your dog a hug.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Doug
But JJ Watt is an injury waiting to happen. AD has been rock solid, like Merlin Olsen was solid (14-15 straight years). It's not our money,*shrugs, so if they can make it work at less than 25 million a year, I could care less about the a few measly million spent by a multibillion dollar company named the LA Rams.

Sorry - not talking about AD - who is the greatest football player on the planet.
Talking about the position - which you, along with everyone else is ignoring.

And btw, how much money the owner has is irrelevant. Again, the position is not worth the money.
See Suh.

See Haynesworth.
See Vin Miller.
See Demarcus Ware.see Clowny.
See Reggie Miller. (OK - maybe not) lol.
See Leonard Little.

Not one of those guys got their team to the SB.

See

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Sorry - not talking about AD - who is the greatest football player on the planet.

And btw, how much money the owner has is irrelevant. Again, the position is not worth the money.
See Suh.

See Haynesworth.
See Vin Miller.
See Leonard Little.

Not one of those guys got their team to the SB.See

I have no problem ignoring it, on purpose. It's not our money and it's Keven Demoff's job to spend wisely. It's his job to figure the CAP out now, and in the future. If he signs AD for 25 million, then I believe he has thought it through to a level that goes beyond our understanding. Not saying we're stupid, but he gets paid to do this, so I trust him as he has done a pretty d@mn good job so far.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
Hang on ROD Nation. Just a few more weeks of this and i suspect we'll be mothballing this thread and AD will be suiting up in Horns.

dang

Legend
Rooting for the Rams from 2005 to 2016 was excruciating, Lucy-takes-away-the-football stuff.

But 2017 changed everything.

Soon enough, this thread will be ...

View attachment 25760
I tell younger sports fans all the time. Pick your team carefully but once you pick one - stick with them through thick and thin. Staying a fan of a team that has long stretches of failure is very painful but when success comes its all the more rewarding. There is also a strong sense of pride and camaraderie with other fans that have weathered the storm.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

See Suh.

See Haynesworth.
See Vin Miller.
See Leonard Little.

Not one of those guys got their team to the SB.

See

See Reggie White.

And Von Miller was a huge reason the Broncos made 2 superbowls, winning one of them.

Edit - plus demarcus ware.

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
Hang on ROD Nation. Just a few more weeks of this and i suspect we'll be mothballing this thread and AD will be suiting up in Horns.

NOT until the #questfor100 is reached.

Your mission, if you choose to accept it.

XXXIVwin

Hall of Fame
I tell younger sports fans all the time. Pick your team carefully but once you pick one - stick with them through thick and thin. Staying a fan of a team that has long stretches of failure is very painful but when success comes its all the more rewarding. There is also a strong sense of pride and camaraderie with other fans that have weathered the storm.
Yes... USUALLY. Every once in a while, though, there are teams that just make their fans suffer too, too much. Cleveland Browns for example.
(Factory of Sadness—yikes.)
Or Chicago Cubs— yes they won it all, but what about the generation of fans who didn’t live to see it?
My point is: yes, I agree with you in general— loyalty to a team makes the payoff even more sweet. But every once in a long while (sadly), there’s a team or two that will break your heart and never make up for it!
Thank goodness our Rams aren’t that way.. they make us suffer, but they reward us too.

Akrasian

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
It's not that great defenders don't help the team. Of course they do. It's that if they take a huge amount of resources, they hurt the team's depth too much - especially now. The reputed QB equivalency demands are asking for AD to be paid about 14% of cap space. That is more than historical defender examples. Add in that NFL rule changes have consistently been to favor the passing offense, and correspondingly reduce the impact that any defender can have.

Oh, and Von Miller made a huge difference to the Broncos - on his rookie contract. When he took over 10% of the cap space for the first time in 2017 they were 5-11. There were many reasons for that - but Von Miller so far has not provided a justification for paying a defender a huge amount. And he's an edge rusher, a position that normally gets paid more than a DT.

bubbaramfan

Legend
Camp Reporter
Maybe AD needs to change positions, since he's so good, while he's holding out he can practice passing the ball, and he can become the backup to Goff, Rams can get rid of Mannion and Donald can get his QB money.

Everyone is happy! :party::banana::bow:

tempests

Hall of Fame
Oh, and Von Miller made a huge difference to the Broncos - on his rookie contract. When he took over 10% of the cap space for the first time in 2017 they were 5-11. There were many reasons for that - but Von Miller so far has not provided a justification for paying a defender a huge amount. And he's an edge rusher, a position that normally gets paid more than a DT.

If you can draft well and mine the UDFA pool, talent will be available to you. If you can develop a system that plays to player strengths, you will have depth.

The state of Denver's roster cannot be ascribed to Von Miller's contract, but to Elway's drafting. Outside of their first round pick, their 2017 draft class was limited to almost exclusively special teams contributions only. They're on their fourth different starting QB since P Manning retired. That's another issue.

Von Miller restructured his contract and allowed them to pursue Case Keenum. Miller is taking up less than 6% of the 2018 cap, but what will determine the Broncos ability to improve on their record, is whether Keenum can play like he did in Minnesota.

Status
Not open for further replies.