Aaron Donald’s contract situation

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.
Status
Not open for further replies.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
1) The reports are that he has been offered a record contract for a non-QB. That IS setting the market. He apparently is trying to shatter the market.

Actually, the “reports” have merely been guesses that they “think” what Donald has been offered.
We have no idea and neither do “they”

Turducken

Starter
I wonder whether they sweet spot could be a short term (mostly) guaranteed contract with the team waiving the right to use the exclusive franchise tag on him. Something like a two year extension for $43m. It would mean $50m over next 3 seasons (and then guarantee, say $40m).

Agree to waive right to use UFA tag on him but keep a rock solid right to match the parameters of any other offers. Voidable agreement to waive if AD signs a poison pill contract with another team.

Donald gets some guaranteed money and another shot at a big contract (when he's 29/30). We keep him for a 3 yr SB window. After 2020, the next CBA will likely change all the math.

12intheBox

Legend
Name
Wil Fay
I wonder whether they sweet spot could be a short term (mostly) guaranteed contract with the team waiving the right to use the exclusive franchise tag on him. Something like a two year extension for $43m. It would mean $50m over next 3 seasons (and then guarantee, say $40m).

Agree to waive right to use UFA tag on him but keep a rock solid right to match the parameters of any other offers. Voidable agreement to waive if AD signs a poison pill contract with another team.

Donald gets some guaranteed money and another shot at a big contract (when he's 29/30). We keep him for a 3 yr SB window. After 2020, the next CBA will likely change all the math.

The Rams can already control him for the next 3 years - so there is nothing in it for them in that sweet spot. I’m sure ADs camp would love to be up for free agency in 3-4 years. The Rams don’t want him to be up for 6.

yrba1

Mild-mannered Rams fan
Have a feeling this will be our Albert Pujols situation where we tag him for a few years, win Super Bowls, and then he goes to another team to get a Hall of Fame quarterback-money contract. Basically we underpay him for a few years during his best years, and another team ridiculously overpays him for lesser returns.

Rams43

Hall of Fame
First off: I hope the Rams are at the 80% range of top QB pay. Which is that $24M area. If they're below that, they are lowballing AD. How can I say that? Because he's a defensive MVP who you can count on to stay healthy and be a positive force in the locker room and in the offseason. He's a cornerstone defensive player. 80% of top QB pay is fair for him IMO.

Assuming they're at that range, AD needs to get off his high horse and sign a damn contract. And the Rams need to utilize the CBA as part of the BUSINESS side of things to leverage him into the corner he's positioned to be in. If they do this while lowballing him I think it's a bad deal that will leave hard feelings. If they do it with a competitive offer on the table (i.e. 80%) then at some point he will come around to the understanding that signing the deal is the best path forward.

Last but not least if I'm Demoff: as part of the utilization of the CBA the agents are going to understand a trade will not happen. He can plan on holding out for 10x games this season and doing it again the next two seasons. That, IMO, will be the impetus to help a deal get done.

Re your first paragraph, Merlin...

QB’s play 100% of snaps, AD is 70% of snaps, at very most.

QB’s touch the ball on virtually 100% of plays, AD on almost none.

QB’s are involved in virtually 100% of TD’s via pass or handoff, AD almost never even touches the ball.

Sooooo...

Where’s the logic of paying a DL, even an elite one, 80% of QB money?

I think $20-22 million is Demoff’s top range, he has all the leverage and he knows it, and he will use it.

Demoff will kill AD with kindness until AD and his pos agent recognize the inevitable and sign on the dotted line. It’s just a question of time, and time is on the Rams side.

ReekofRams

Hall of Fame
Name
Reek
The Rams can already control him for the next 3 years - so there is nothing in it for them in that sweet spot. I’m sure ADs camp would love to be up for free agency in 3-4 years. The Rams don’t want him to be up for 6.
I could see a compromise of 4 years on the extension, plus this year making it a total of 5 years.

shaunpinney

Hall of Fame
Remember it's a business, don't take it personally. Don't listen to the noise. Just remember how good ad is and know he is worth the effort, otherwise the rams wouldn't be bothered with all this.

I do get it's a business, but the way I see it he's been offered a contract which would make him the highest paid D-lineman in history, sometimes you have to be a little humble in my mind to be a complete person. Also, being a business he is also under contract currently, he should be fulfilling that contract and be with the team in training.

If I accepted a fixed term contract on a job for a set price, then part way through I think, you know what I'm doing a damn good job here, I want more money. My client is just going to turn round and say but you have agreed to terms etc, failing to fulfil my part of the contact would mean I'm in breach of contract and would either lose the job or pick up a very bad reputation, that's how business usually works.

Legatron4

Legend
Name
Wes
I've been thinking about this. Would the Rams bother tagging him if he doesn't play? They won't waste money on a player who doesn't see the field. I still think a deal get a done. But the Rams aren't in a position to be petty.

shaunpinney

Hall of Fame
Also, AD has been stellar for the Rams since he suited up in horns, but we've not won a ton of games with him, it was when the O started humming last year that we started winning games...

Scoring points wins games people...

snackdaddy

Who's your snackdaddy?
Name
Charlie

QB’s are involved in virtually 100% of TD’s via pass or handoff, AD almost never even touches the ball.

Sooooo...

I think $20-22 million is Demoff’s top range, he has all the leverage and he knows it, and he will use it.

Demoff will kill AD with kindness until AD and his pos agent recognize the inevitable and sign on the dotted line. It’s just a question of time, and time is on the Rams side.

This is a good example. No matter how good a defensive player is he cannot impact a game like a quarterback. He can make the defense better due to double teams and the pressures, but there are ways to negate his impact.

If he had that much impact, they wouldn't be 17-31 his first 3 seasons. And the defense wouldn't be middle of the pack in 2017. Its not a revelation that they won when the offense improved.

I love what the guy can do. And I would love to see him signed. But not to the point where it affects their ability to field a top tier offense. They say defense wins championships but you have to score to win.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I never wanted to stay home sick from school. My mom no matter what she was doing had soap operas playing so loud on the tv that I had to hear that no matter where I was in the house. I went to school sick every time I could. Thanks for reminding me of such a painful childhood memory.:cry::cool::D
You are not faking sick, right. You need to get your Mom a job so you have the house.....Play on the puter' for a while, and then talk your friend into using his Dad's jaguar for a trip to Chicago to lip sync Danke Shoen in a parade...

Turducken

Starter
I know all of that, but a six year deal will come with a 4+ years of guaranteed pay. 3 years with 2.5 guaranteed cuts a lot of risk to the team if AD is injured. It all comes down to whether you think the "not playing without a new contract” threat is believable. If it is, then you might want to go there. If it isn't, then you have to make your best 5-6 year offer and then call his bluff if he doesn't sign.

bubbaramfan

Legend
Camp Reporter
Can this thread get to 2,000 before Aug 7? Will AD be traded to the Alpha Centari Greys?

Turducken

Starter
I've been thinking about this. Would the Rams bother tagging him if he doesn't play? They won't waste money on a player who doesn't see the field. I still think a deal get a done. But the Rams aren't in a position to be petty.
If he doesn't play this year then he still has to fulfill his 5th year of rookie deal at $7m (in the 6th year or later) and the tag is unnecessary. That's a bad scenario for everyone. Lots of bad blood at that point, and he gets traded.

ReekofRams

Hall of Fame
Name
Reek
You are not faking sick, right. You need to get your Mom a job so you have the house.....Play on the puter' for a while, and then talk your friend into using his Dad's jaguar for a trip to Chicago to lip sync Danke Shoen in a parade...
WAS a childhood memory. Since then I've raised kids of my own and they've made me a grandpaps.

Ramlock

Here we f’n go, baby!
Name
Ramlock

Sooooo...

@-X-

Ball Toucher Metric

LOL

Status
Not open for further replies.