Aaron Donald’s contract situation

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ramlock

Here we f’n go, baby!
Name
Ramlock
1) I also see it as a big FU to the team, and coincidentally his teammates. It turned out the Rams didn't need him against the Colts, but he couldn't be certain of that. Getting a game check without any real intention of playing is not the mark of a good teammate.

I believe that to be a fan view not the player's view.

All of his teammates, when asked, have been supportive of his efforts to get paid.

If there is anyone that has spoken out against AD, I haven't heard it.

They may think badly of him though...

Last edited:

HeiseNBerg

Pro Bowler

what-does-that-mean.jpg

MadGoat

Mathematically alive
Mack and AD, Rams vs Raiders on MNF Week One, How ironic is that?
It's interesting. Who gets hurt more by these guys possibly sitting out? Even if Donald is the better player, it seems like Mack sitting out would be scary for the Raiders against the Rams offense.

Zaphod

Hall of Fame
Yea...I got lazy with my numbers. Sorry.

I understand your perspective. But here’s my general take...

What is the net difference, with either approach? Maybe $10M? Maybe. When he’ll have made around $150M by the end of his career regardless of the path he chooses.

Seems a bit reckless to me to play on some of these one year deals. Risk injury. Add drama every year to your life.

Seems like a strange approach for someone that will make $150M.

Hell...if he wanted to play hardball with the organization that bad he could have reported to camp on time the last two years and been an UFA next year.

Weird appraoch if you ask me. I question his advisors.
I think you nailed it. It could get to the point where he can't make up for the loss of pay, and at that point I would think that it's more his agent's ego than Donald's.

Akrasian

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

First, he has missed the reporting deadline. He just hasn't passed the point where he loses credit for a year in terms of the difference between being an RFA and a UFA. But showing up for the beginning of training camp is a contractual obligation, which he's broken two years in a row.

Secondly, he got paid more than $1 million last season. He did get a nearly $5.7 million signing bonus, for his 4 years plus a team option contract. That counts too.

In terms of providing more value than his contract - just as he is not expected to return the signing bonus if he just didn't play up to that level, the Rams are not expected to pay him more if he exceeds the level of value. The contract works both ways - demanding the Rams make up the difference is trying to have his guaranteed cake and eat it, too.

Now, in fact, the Rams have been trying to reward him for his performance. He has turned them down, wanting (apparently) a lot more than a record-setting contract. They even didn't punish him with fines last season for violating his contract by missing OTAs and training camp. Apparently, no good deed goes unpunished for the Rams.

I understand why AD is behaving this way. I like money too. But he's not being virtuous, just trying to get what he thinks is fair for his past of being underpaid - i.e., as much money as possible.

Last edited:

Jacobarch

Legend
Name
Jake
It's interesting. Who gets hurt more by these guys possibly sitting out? Even if Donald is the better player, it seems like Mack sitting out would be scary for the Raiders against the Rams offense.

I honestly don't know what to expect from the Raiders this year. They had such a good year 3 seasons ago then fell off completely. I think it's going to be tough to play the Raiders for the first 4 weeks and of course we get them week 1. ugh.

Anyways, I hope Mack doesn't play, and all signs point to him not playing. Having AD isn't a huge concern of mine because we have insurance (suh) but it sure would be nice to see them both on the field at the same time.

Rams43

Hall of Fame
Well, here are 3 things I now believe regarding these AD negotiations...

I believe that Demoff is gonna hold the line on just how much the Rams will pay AD. Period.

I believe that that number is in the $20-22 million range.

I believe that this AD extension could have been concluded even before the Cooks extension if AD had a different agent. Hell, maybe even concluded last year!

Let me add something that I don’t necessarily believe, but do hope for. I fervently hope that the Rams fully impose all appropriate fines whether an extension is done, or not.

Akrasian

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I believe that this AD extension could have been concluded even before the Cooks extension if AD had a different agent. Hell, maybe even concluded last year!

I believe that part of the Cooks and Gurley signings was that if AD was going to be unreasonable, the Rams better get others signed, even if the money would affect how any AD signing could be structured. I think the Suh signing was like that, too. With Suh's money and what AD is owed for 2018, the Rams could have given AD a $21 million dollar salary for 2018.

Merlin

Damn the torpedoes
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Well, here are 3 things I now believe regarding these AD negotiations...

I believe that Demoff is gonna hold the line on just how much the Rams will pay AD. Period.

I believe that that number is in the $20-22 million range.

Let me add something that I don’t necessarily believe, but do hope for. I fervently hope that the Rams fully impose all appropriate fines whether an extension is done, or not.

First off: I hope the Rams are at the 80% range of top QB pay. Which is that $24M area. If they're below that, they are lowballing AD. How can I say that? Because he's a defensive MVP who you can count on to stay healthy and be a positive force in the locker room and in the offseason. He's a cornerstone defensive player. 80% of top QB pay is fair for him IMO.

Assuming they're at that range, AD needs to get off his high horse and sign a damn contract. And the Rams need to utilize the CBA as part of the BUSINESS side of things to leverage him into the corner he's positioned to be in. If they do this while lowballing him I think it's a bad deal that will leave hard feelings. If they do it with a competitive offer on the table (i.e. 80%) then at some point he will come around to the understanding that signing the deal is the best path forward.

Last but not least if I'm Demoff: as part of the utilization of the CBA the agents are going to understand a trade will not happen. He can plan on holding out for 10x games this season and doing it again the next two seasons. That, IMO, will be the impetus to help a deal get done.

James Otto

Starter
My guess is since there is no indication that AD is a dick, that he is just simply being honest. My guess is that if there is no deal by August 7th that he will report and request to be traded.

I can understand why he is doing what he is doing. Where he was drafted, he had no leverage to sign a bigger contract. AD is going to go down as one of the greatest defensive players in NFL history. However, an injury could derail that instantly, and maybe permanently, and he deserves a shot at legit guaranteed money right now.

I wouldn't feel that way about very many players, but AD is one of the few.

Status
Not open for further replies.