Aaron Donald’s contract situation

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.
Status
Not open for further replies.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
I'm sorry it bothered you.
That's not the point. If you were intending to be a dick, then simply don't post it. There is a reminder in the reply box that says "Think Before You Post". It's there for a reason.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I was listening to ESPNALA with DMarco Farr and Keyshawn Johnson. Meshawn made the point that the Rams were ahead of the curve in signing Gurley and Cooks to long term deals, but were behind the blackball with AD. Meshawn also said that Donald wants to be paid more than some starting QB's, but not tier one QB's like Rodgers,etc.. (otherwise his agent was crazy). IF the Rams don't start out well in the regular season in the midst of a holdout, players will be upset that one of their guys wasn't taken care of (a massive deal), someone is getting fired. Without context of different salaries earned by position group, the players won't care, because Donald hasn't got his deal. DMarco is being silent here....I think I'm hearing Meshawn's version of "Pay the Man" or folks will get fired....Is Demoff under the gun, here?

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I was listening to ESPNALA with DMarco Farr and Keyshawn Johnson. Meshawn made the point that the Rams were ahead of the curve in signing Gurley and Cooks to long term deals, but were behind the blackball with AD. Meshawn also said that Donald wants to be paid more than some starting QB's, but not tier one QB's like Rodgers,etc.. (otherwise his agent was crazy). IF the Rams don't start out well in the regular season in the midst of a holdout, players will be upset that one of their guys wasn't taken care of (a massive deal), someone is getting fired. Without context of different salaries earned by position group, the players won't care, because Donald hasn't got his deal. DMarco is being silent here....I think I'm hearing Meshawn's version of "Pay the Man" or folks will get fired....Is Demoff under the gun, here?

nah, kj doesn't know his head from his arsehole.

the rams really don't have to do anything. they can wait out ad. ad will be the one losing money if he sits out. one sixteenth of $21m equals $1.3m per game. is he really gonna pass that money up to make a couple of mil more per season?

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
nah, kj doesn't know his head from his arsehole.

the rams really don't have to do anything. they can wait out ad. ad will be the one losing money if he sits out. one sixteenth of $21m equals $1.3m per game. is he really gonna pass that money up to make a couple of mil more per season?

Meshawn's point is that the effect of AD being gone will mess with team chemistry, in thinking that the organization isn't taking care of their guy. If it results in losses and hard feelings multiply, doesn't it extend beyond just the money for AD?

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Meshawn's point is that the effect of AD being gone will mess with team chemistry, in thinking that the organization isn't taking care of their guy. If it results in losses and hard feelings multiply, doesn't it extend beyond just the money for AD?

the chemistry was just fine last season after the same situation. this year the rams are offering to make him the highest paid d player in history. why should there be hard feelings?

edit - kj is just a shock jock.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
the chemistry was just fine last season after the same situation. this year the rams are offering to make him the highest paid d player in history. why should there be hard feelings?

edit - kj is just a shock jock.

But it probably won't be the same as last year.AD didn't play the first game, but came back before that game. This year, it sounds like he could be gone for several games if things get ugly...Yeah, KJ is a shock jock icehole, no doubt.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
But it probably won't be the same as last year.AD didn't play the first game, but came back before that game. This year, it sounds like he could be gone for several games if things get ugly...Yeah, KJ is a shock jock icehole, no doubt.

ad isn't gonna cut his nose to spite his face. let's see what happens as the season nears.

Akrasian

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

I don't think that would be the effect. The Rams quite cleverly took care of two key players, including the OPOY, with huge contracts. If the rumors are true, they have offered Donald 40% or so more than they gave Gurley, so the players are likely to accept that the Rams are making an aggressively good faith effort to sign AD. At this stage, it's obvious that the Rams want to pay players, but also want to pay all their players, not just a couple. At some point, since AD has held out twice, and is being offered record money, it is on him, not the team. If the Rams lose games without AD, why doesn't AD want to play for record money?

1maGoh

Hall of Fame
If they fine him 10/16 of his salary, I would think he would have no choice but to play. If he holds out for 10 games then he'll only receive 6/16 of his salary (no play no pay, right?) . 6/16 - 10/16 is negative 4/16. He'd been in the hole for the year. By a bunch.

Am I wrong in my understanding that if he doesn't show up to play then he won't collect a check for that game?

Akrasian

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

He's not getting a $21 million salary for 2018. There isn't near enough cap room. He might get a $25 million or so signing bonus this year. But the opportunity for a straight salary like that is long gone - the Rams signed and traded for too much in salary to give AD that. There's not much cap room left for 2018. So he wouldn't be sacrificing anyway near as large a game check this season.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
He's not getting a $21 million salary for 2018. There isn't near enough cap room. He might get a $25 million or so signing bonus this year. But the opportunity for a straight salary like that is long gone - the Rams signed and traded for too much in salary to give AD that. There's not much cap room left for 2018. So he wouldn't be sacrificing anyway near as large a game check this season.

I was just using a per year average. The rams can tell him every week missed will lead to a one sixteenth reduction in signing bonus to hurry up his decision. There has to be some ramifications for sitting out games.

1maGoh

Hall of Fame
So if a player didn't show up to play, they still get the same paycheck? Or is the game check they lose considered a fine as well? I assumed the fines were different from not getting a check for not showing up.

If you don't show up for your job, then you don't get paid. That isn't a fine, that's how jobs work. I assumed the NFL was the same. That would make it fines plus not getting game checks. If not getting game checks is a fine, then that's stupid, but whatever.

MadGoat

Mathematically alive
So if a player didn't show up to play, they still get the same paycheck? Or is the game check they lose considered a fine as well? I assumed the fines were different from not getting a check for not showing up.

If you don't show up for your job, then you don't get paid. That isn't a fine, that's how jobs work. I assumed the NFL was the same. That would make it fines plus not getting game checks. If not getting game checks is a fine, then that's stupid, but whatever.
NFL players just don't get paid for games they hold out. Duane Brown lost around $4 million last season for the games he missed.

1maGoh

Hall of Fame
So basically if he only plays 6 games, the fines are waived. If the fines alone can take away 10 games of pay, and not playing 10 games can take away ten games of pay, but fines plus not playing 10 games can only take 10 games of pay away, then basically one of those things is irrelevant.

I'm also not sure why someone wouldn't be able to incur more fines than they made, assuming discreet actions have specific fine amounts for each action. But that's neither here nor there and probably a function of the CBA more than an actual law somewhere.

dang

Legend
In an attempt to rationalize Donald’s new contract compensation:

1. Assuming any sane person would agree that an elite QB deserves the highest compensation. That bar has been set by Kirk Cousins @$28m/year. 2. Understanding a new bar has been set for RBs by Todd Gurley @$14.375m/yr.
3. Agreeing that Donald is the most dominant Defensive player in the NFL today. I am thinking Donald’s compensation reasonably belongs somewhere in the middle. $28m + $14.375m/2 = $21.2m/year.

Sounds about right to me. So other than guaranteed $$$ what else is reasonably in dispute???

Merlin

Damn the torpedoes
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
The thing with AD, though, is that not playing for 10 games is gonna kill him. He's not the type of player who can smugly sit at home and relish the team struggling without him. At least I don't see him that way. And even worse, with this roster the Rams will probably still win without him.

Honestly he needs to lighten up on the redefining of the defensive position value and sign a deal that will bring him the happiness and security he deserves. I am so damn tired of this shit man. I pray this thing gets done soon.

Status
Not open for further replies.