Aaron Donald’s contract situation

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ReekofRams

Hall of Fame
Name
Reek
I just wonder if the Rams could get equal value for Aaron. I can't think of any time when big names were traded that the team trading him got back equal value. Can you think of a time when trading a big name got traded that the team got equal value in return?
Hey @dang why are you calling this inappropriate? I'm just trying to figure out if the Rams decided to trade Donald, which I hope they don't, could we reasonably get equal value. That's why I asked @Merlin that question. Now tell me how is that inappropriate?

dang

Legend
Hey @dang why are you calling this inappropriate? I'm just trying to figure out if the Rams decided to trade Donald, which I hope they don't, could we reasonably get equal value. That's why I asked @Merlin that question. Now tell me how is that inappropriate?
Huh? I didn’t indicate anything was inappropriate. My last post was merely a response to @So Ram’s post regarding Tavon and Sammy.

Akrasian

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I just wonder if the Rams could get equal value for Aaron. I can't think of any time when big names were traded that the team trading him got back equal value. Can you think of a time when trading a big name got traded that the team got equal value in return?

What's equal value? Are you factoring in the considerable cap savings, and any issues keeping the player is having on the team?

I think the Rams could get considerable help with their depth, and keep or sign a good to very good player or two thanks to trading Donald. I also think that if Donald decides he will only play if he can force the Rams to pay more than makes sense for them that the Rams will not get much value by keeping him, especially since it will show other good players that they can break the Rams in negotiations. This after the Cooks and Gurley negotiations set good examples.

What would Gurley do if he sees that? Gurley was arguably the best player on the Rams last season, not Donald.

ReekofRams

Hall of Fame
Name
Reek
Huh? I didn’t indicate anything was inappropriate. My last post was merely a response to @So Ram’s post regarding Tavon and Sammy.
It's post #940 on page 47 that you marked inappropriate.

ReekofRams

Hall of Fame
Name
Reek
What's equal value? Are you factoring in the considerable cap savings, and any issues keeping the player is having on the team?

I think the Rams could get considerable help with their depth, and keep or sign a good to very good player or two thanks to trading Donald. I also think that if Donald decides he will only play if he can force the Rams to pay more than makes sense for them that the Rams will not get much value by keeping him, especially since it will show other good players that they can break the Rams in negotiations. This after the Cooks and Gurley negotiations set good examples.

What would Gurley do if he sees that? Gurley was arguably the best player on the Rams last season, not Donald.
Plus we do have the GM Extraordinaire, the Master of all trades, that he manages to keep secret until it's official. The one who works every angle. The one, who when McVay request a player from another team, he does exactly that. A person of power, strength, might, and awe inspiring wisdom who accomplished his every will, while others just stare in amazement. All praise deservedly then goes indeed to Sir Snead.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
Sorry but Tavon is the opposite of a diva. I don’t think I ever heard him complain about not touching the ball despite adjusted playing time as he was bounced between being PR, WR or RB.
As a result I will forever regard Tavon as a “We not Me” player.

I think Watkins has shown some diva tendencies in the past but I didn’t see that last year. However he did show a lack of effort or knowledge during a number of plays but not Diva status.

If Donald doesn’t sign then he will play way below market this year and below market for the next 2 years. I believe that is the golden ticket to get him to sign. The problem may be however that he is expecting the Rams to make up for the bargain on Donald the last 4 years. If that is the case that may be the root cause in the gap of the current contract expectations.
They both wanted the ball more. The media sort of asked which player was better. Watkins started out complain after a few games. McVay stopped it right away.
Tavon I agree to a point. He just didn’t fit & not a great WR

Merlin

Damn the torpedoes
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Likely to be a rising team. Has the money to pay him. Has his former DC.

If the Rams made a deal contingent on his signing, and he refused, his likely options are caving in to the Rams or not playing, and his agent wanting to be paid would tell him that.

Exactly. Just because his representation wants $25M doesn't mean they're going to get it. If things progress to the point where the Rams put him on the trade market, he might find that out real quickly. It would definitely be a deal contingent on him agreeing to terms at least ballpark with the trading team.

No team is going to be calling Les and offering a round one pick plus yesterday's garbage. It would be two first round picks and most teams would expect to be giving that up. Why? Because chances are you're not going to get a future Hall of Fame player with a clear history of staying healthy and MVP level production year in and year out even if you take two shots in round one. Chances of hitting on a round one pick are somewhere around 50%, but chances of hitting on a Hall of Fame level player is much lower.

snackdaddy

Who's your snackdaddy?
Name
Charlie
I dunno. Maybe they'll get a deal done. Maybe not. But I'm starting to think they better prepare themselves to be without Donald for at least the first few games. Maybe longer. Maybe the whole season.

I'm beginning to think the Suh signing was in anticipation of a protracted holdout. If they are that far apart as the reports coming out, I'm sure they knew it last year. Woulda been nice to have them line up side by side but I'm not as optimistic as I was before.

Treat it like a star player who had a season ending injury. Next man up. They're still a formidable team with an improved defense.

Akrasian

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I dunno. Maybe they'll get a deal done. Maybe not. But I'm starting to think they better prepare themselves to be without Donald for at least the first few games. Maybe longer. Maybe the whole season.

I suspect that if he holds out into the season they look for a trade partner - unless they are very close and just dotting the i's and crossing the t's.

I'm beginning to think the Suh signing was in anticipation of a protracted holdout. If they are that far apart as the reports coming out, I'm sure they knew it last year. Woulda been nice to have them line up side by side but I'm not as optimistic as I was before.

I don't know - they seemed so much more optimistic before. It could be they want to publically focus on training camp now, or that they were putting a pleasant face on it. Or it could be that at some point this offseason the demands grew. If he really is demanding $25 million or he'll be insulted, I have to think that the Rams would have traded him before free agency, when his trade value was highest. Unless his agent saw how salaries rose this offseason, and decided with AD that his salary should rise accordingly.

Treat it like a star player who had a season ending injury. Next man up. They're still a formidable team with an improved defense.

Big improvement in the CBs. While Suh is a decline from AD, smaller than it would otherwise be. The Rams think at least LBs should be improved, by getting rid of three starters who were overall negatives. We'll see how the replacements do, but it looks promising.

Merlin

Damn the torpedoes
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I'm beginning to think the Suh signing was in anticipation of a protracted holdout.

Been thinking the same thing for some time now. Didn't like the signing at the time, as I felt it was too much money spent on just the interior portion of the DL with him, Brock, and AD all potentially making a lot of money. But if they expected AD to hold out and for it to be nasty then it makes a lot more sense from the perspective of wanting to limit the dropoff in production.

Hopefully AD will be paid and in camp here soon. But meh. I'm not too confident at this point and suspect it's gonna get ugly before someone caves and a deal gets done.

Merlin

Damn the torpedoes
Rams On Demand Sponsor

I get what I suspect (and hope) are inappropriate "misclicks" all the time. No real reason to sweat them, though, unless your Dad's checking your RoD report card...

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu

Yeah - it happens. I've done it a couple times myself and had it done to me for no apparent reason. It was usually just an accidental touch of the wrong button. Looks like CGI already took care of it.

James Otto

Starter
Personally, I think AD has played his last down with the Rams. No logical reason why they haven't gotten him signed. If he is not there on August 7, it's over. They will trade him.

Ramhusker

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bo Bowen
You average those DE and DT numbers together and you get darn close to $21M a yr. a $22M a yr deal for four years would seem awful fair to me if you guarantee most or all of it.

Status
Not open for further replies.