Aaron Donald’s contract situation

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.
Status
Not open for further replies.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
Which sort of makes my point. As a DT, his impact was limited despite being exceptional. His impact does not merit being paid like he is an elite, or even a good, QB.

About the "elite QB" comparisons we have seen tossed around.

A DT like Donald is sort of like having a HOF QB on the roster, but only passing 20 times a game. The effect on the game is limited in one case by the position and on another by the limited use. Donald's position limits his value to a degree.

And the number of what I would call "elite" QB's well outnumbers the number of "elite" DT's in recent history. Maybe in the entire history of the NFL. It's very true that guys like Donald only come around once every 10-15 years at best. You could make a case that there have only been maybe 5 guys that could be in that group together since the beginning of the sport.

But.

An "elite" QB makes much more of a difference on the outcome from week to week during the season. That doesn't diminish Donald's talent, which is beyond generational and will be considered "all time" when he retires IMO. But it does diminish his pay ceiling.

If I was Demoff I'd make the biggest/best offer I could responsibly make without breaking the bank and put it on the table and let the agent know that no more would be coming. I might be willing to try to find a way to get to $23MIL or even $23.5MIL if I knew it would close the deal. I could find a way to do that.

@ReekofRams I'm starting to feel the same way about the tweet, so I think 25MIL was never on the table.

EastRam

Pro Bowler
About the "elite QB" comparisons we have seen tossed around.

A DT like Donald is sort of like having a HOF QB on the roster, but only passing 20 times a game. The effect on the game is limited in one case by the position and on another by the limited use. Donald's position limits his value to a degree.

And the number of what I would call "elite" QB's well outnumbers the number of "elite" DT's in recent history. Maybe in the entire history of the NFL. It's very true that guys like Donald only come around once every 10-15 years at best. You could make a case that there have only been maybe 5 guys that could be in that group together since the beginning of the sport.

But.

An "elite" QB makes much more of a difference on the outcome from week to week during the season. That doesn't diminish Donald's talent, which is beyond generational and will be considered "all time" when he retires IMO. But it does diminish his pay ceiling.

If I was Demoff I'd make the biggest/best offer I could responsibly make without breaking the bank and put it on the table and let the agent know that no more would be coming. I might be willing to try to find a way to get to $23MIL or even $23.5MIL if I knew it would close the deal. I could find a way to do that.

@ReekofRams I'm starting to feel the same way about the tweet, so I think 25MIL was never on the table.

I would add to your offer that the offer is off the table on August 7th.

As Howie would say.
Deal or no deal.

SeminoleRam

Pro Bowler
Name
PaceRam
I would add to your offer that the offer is off the table on August 7th.

As Howie would say.
Deal or no deal.

I am probably being way too optimistic but I think Aaron Donald's Agents are waiting for the August 7th Deadline to make sure they get the best offer possible from the Rams and then he will sign (At least, That is what I am hoping for!!!)!

DLux27

Rookie
Honestly at this point in the process I rather have the rams not pay him, if he’s not at camp by Aug 7th, he loses all his leverage and a year toward FA. He also has little leverage anyway considering the Rams can franchise him for 2 years for well below whatever contract he would sign. Remember AD is already 27 so the Rams can control him for well under market value for his age 27, 28, and 29 seasons pretty much all of his “prime” why give the big deal when u can have him for his prime. Its a tough situation all around but really he doesn’t have much leverage here which is unfortunate, trust me I get it, so when CBA negotiating begin next time the players need to enact a one and done franchise system or do something to benefit the players in this situation. Being able to continuously franchise is kinda rediculous but that’s the current agreement.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I'm starting to feel the same way about the tweet, so I think 25MIL was never on the table.

the tweet said the rams offered $21m per year. it also said the donald camp was after $25m. that's why they were "insulted" by the rams offer.

i don't think the rams move past 21m, nor should they. if donald sits out when the rams offered him that much money, well, let him sit. he'll come to his senses soon enough.

bluecoconuts

Legend
the tweet said the rams offered $21m per year. it also said the donald camp was after $25m. that's why they were "insulted" by the rams offer.

i don't think the rams move past 21m, nor should they. if donald sits out when the rams offered him that much money, well, let him sit. he'll come to his senses soon enough.

I don't have a major issue with them coming up from 21m, but they need to be careful about it. 21m is about 11% of the cap, and elite defenders have eaten up to 13-14% of the cap in the past, so the Rams can afford to come up, especially as the cap should go up as well in the future.

They still need to be careful though, and make sure that they will be able to take care of Goff when he's up. Franchising a QB is much more expensive and I can't imagine the Rams want to do that.

PressureD41

Les Snead's Draft Advisor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Eddy
I know this is a Business and there is a limit to how much you will pay but I think it will be a great disappointment if the Rams can't sign him and put out what I think could be one of the best (If not, The best!) 3 man DL (Donald, Suh and Brockers would be very, very scary!) in History!

Ya its getting to the annoying stage, thats for sure. It sucks he's going to demand so much but he's worth it and the cap will keep going up. We can make it work.

dang

Legend
The passing of 8/7 without a contract hurts Donald. It might actually help the Rams next year although it would continue to be a negative distraction this year.

1maGoh

Hall of Fame
Found this video on YouTube of Donald's 2017 season. It's literally a nearly seven minute highlight reel that consists of nothing but him defeating blocks. Don't know if the guy is correctly identifying all the moves he uses, but it's surreal.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NfjbdUxPS0o

But not all of those defeated blocks ended in defeated plays. That's the point over been making. 7 minutes of defeated blocks which didn't all end on defeated plays, plus the remaining minutes of his play time in which he did not defeat blocks.

He makes a significant impact, but does he make the impact equivalent to 14% of the whole team? If that's what he asking them to pay him, then that's the kind of impact he should have.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
But not all of those defeated blocks ended in defeated plays. That's the point over been making. 7 minutes of defeated blocks which didn't all end on defeated plays, plus the remaining minutes of his play time in which he did not defeat blocks.

He makes a significant impact, but does he make the impact equivalent to 14% of the whole team? If that's what he asking them to pay him, then that's the kind of impact he should have.

Yep.

He also has averaged about 75% of the defensive snaps aside from his rookie year that was in the 60s. Compare that to starting QBs in the 90s. A QB will always affect a game more than even the best DT. Sorry but it’s really not even close.

As much as we all want AD to remain a Ram for his career, I’m not buying into the idea that if we don’t get him locked up, it is a failure on the part of the organization. Sometimes, players simply price themselves off a team. And that INCLUDES future HOFers.

The guy absolutely makes our defense better. But we also saw our defense play poorly with the loss of Michael Brockers. So does paying AD mean wins? Pretty hard to say.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
I'm still in the camp that says pay the man. Sure fire HOF'r.

I also stand firm with my previous arguments that teams don't cripple themselves or the cap when handing out fat contracts to good players....with care and with expertise of course. Things always tend to work themselves out. Worrying about Goff, Peters right now is mostly a waste of energy IMO.

Players restructure, players retire, players get cut. Teams find draft day gems making other starters obsolete. Money gets moved around. GM's and capoligists find a way. Pay Donald.
Demoff will find a way....
giphy.gif

Akrasian

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I don't have a major issue with them coming up from 21m, but they need to be careful about it. 21m is about 11% of the cap, and elite defenders have eaten up to 13-14% of the cap in the past, so the Rams can afford to come up, especially as the cap should go up as well in the future.

I don't know the answer - this isn't rhetorical - but how many defenders with those cap eating contracts actually complete their contracts, as opposed to being cut after a couple of seasons (like Suh)?

You addressed Goff, but there are multiple other expensive stars on the Rams, which might be more than those other teams had. Not to mention two other key defenders and 3/5 of the OL being free agents next year, in addition to Goff's contract coming up. Goff is, of course, the most important contract.

Akrasian

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I'm still in the camp that says pay the man. Sure fire HOF'r.

I also stand firm with my previous arguments that teams don't cripple themselves or the cap when handing out fat contracts to good players....with care and with expertise of course. Things always tend to work themselves out. Worrying about Goff, Peters right now is mostly a waste of energy IMO.

Players restructure, players retire, players get cut. Teams find draft day gems making other starters obsolete. Money gets moved around. GM's and capoligists find a way. Pay Donald.
Demoff will find a way....
giphy.gif

Well, you say they can do it " with care and with expertise". I'd think part of the care is setting a budget for the player and sticking to it. I mean, they've budgeted for a record contract from all reports, but not necessarily for another 19% above that.

And yes, there are examples throughout recent NFL history of teams trying to pay all their stars, and then collapsing because they didn't have the resources for other parts of their team. <cough>Seahawks</cough>

ReekofRams

Hall of Fame
Name
Reek
Found this video on YouTube of Donald's 2017 season. It's literally a nearly seven minute highlight reel that consists of nothing but him defeating blocks. Don't know if the guy is correctly identifying all the moves he uses, but it's surreal.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NfjbdUxPS0o

Note to self. Don't rush the ball on Aaron's side. Oh crap, there's Suh. Oh and there's Brockers
Note to self. Don't run the ball. Ah hell, don't pass the ball either. Hey make sure the punters ready for a big game!

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
And yes, there are examples throughout recent NFL history of teams trying to pay all their stars, and then collapsing because they didn't have the resources for other parts of their team. <cough>Seahawks</cough>
This is one of the reasons they're on the downslide sure, but they did have a helluva run and won a Super Bowl. Elite for about 5 years.
IMO they didn't draft well enough. Poorly as a matter of fact.

Planning ahead when managing the cap is crucial but you just can't predict exactly where your team will be or how you will view certain contracts two or three years from now. Things change. Good things happen, bad things happen.

I'm just not a believer that NFL teams cripple themselves by overpaying like we've seen in the NBA or MLB.

XXXIVwin

Hall of Fame
What if AD gets a new five year deal, and then pulls a Julio Jones (decides to holdout with three years left on a five year deal)?

I’m sure that Todd France’s willingness to encourage a holdout (before the contract expires) will contribute to the Rams’ reluctance to give up their leverage.

Akrasian

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
What if AD gets a new five year deal, and then pulls a Julio Jones (decides to holdout with three years left on a five year deal)?

I’m sure that Todd France’s willingness to encourage a holdout (before the contract expires) will contribute to the Rams’ reluctance to give up their leverage.

Make a large percentage of the annual pay bonuses for reporting to OTAs and to training camp. If he holds out, he forfeits a large portion of his salary, plus fines. Make it clear that's not refundable.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Make a large percentage of the annual pay bonuses for reporting to OTAs and to training camp. If he holds out, he forfeits a large portion of his salary, plus fines. Make it clear that's not refundable.
hmmmm...Ray Miland or Rosy Grier...Rosy Grier or Ray Miland...choices, choices, choices!

Steve808

Pro Bowler
Name
Steve
I'm no salary cap expert, but I would think that AD's camp wants signing bonus and guaranteed money. If the Rams give AD a large signing bonus, don't they have the flexibility to prorate it over a number of years? If that's the case, the Rams could backload the contract. That would give the Rams a big window to win the Lombardi in the next few years but things could get tough when the money gets tight later. But we could hope that the cap increases to make the deal a bit more palatable? That said, I'm not sure how much more than 21 million is reasonable since we need to pay Goff in the near future,

I'm sure AD's camp is counting on the fact that the Rams went all in to win the SB this year. If not, we could let him sit a year. He'd be a year older and have the same 6.9 million due him in the 2019 season.

Status
Not open for further replies.