Aaron Donald’s contract situation

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.
Status
Not open for further replies.

tempests

Hall of Fame
But not all of those defeated blocks ended in defeated plays.

I'm aware. Wasn't making any point, just thought it was a cool video that people would enjoy, showing what a bear he is for offensive lineman to handle.

Last edited:

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Well, you say they can do it " with care and with expertise". I'd think part of the care is setting a budget for the player and sticking to it. I mean, they've budgeted for a record contract from all reports, but not necessarily for another 19% above that.

And yes, there are examples throughout recent NFL history of teams trying to pay all their stars, and then collapsing because they didn't have the resources for other parts of their team. <cough>Seahawks</cough>

If you want to understand why Seattle collapsed, take a look:
https://www.pro-football-reference.com/teams/sea/draft.htm

They drafted quite poorly from 2013 to 2016. When you start to lose players, you have to replace them with guys on cheap deals. Best way to do that is with rookie contracts. Seattle failed to do it. Which is why their stars aging became a big problem for them.

ProGen

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
The man undoubtedly makes our defense better THIS YEAR, but with him taking up so much of the pie, will he help us going forward? That cap he'd swallow up may not help this team address it's LB issues next off-season, lock down Peters/Talib/Joyner, keep the offense stocked with Talent for McVay etc.

We have to remember, it's not like our defense was a world beater last year with him. It takes more than one great DT to be a dominant defense.

We ALL want him in horns, but we can't shoot ourselves in the foot. Mario Williams, Ndamukong Suh, Muhammad Wilkerson, JJ Watt...just 4 players that never lived up to their contracts.

...then again...what's weirder? Paying the greatest defensive player in the NFL "over the odds", or paying a WR a shit ton of money before he ever takes a competitive snap with us and the only real game data to assess him on, is with HOF all time great QB's?

Who knows...not me lol. Not an easy decision for the Rams. In many ways, it's a lose-lose situation and they'll get criticised regardless.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
If you want to understand why Seattle collapsed, take a look:
https://www.pro-football-reference.com/teams/sea/draft.htm

They drafted quite poorly from 2013 to 2016. When you start to lose players, you have to replace them with guys on cheap deals. Best way to do that is with rookie contracts. Seattle failed to do it. Which is why their stars aging became a big problem for them.

Aaron Donald’s contract does not make sense after players success.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
The man undoubtedly makes our defense better THIS YEAR, but with him taking up so much of the pie, will he help us going forward? That cap he'd swallow up may not help this team address it's LB issues next off-season, lock down Peters/Talib/Joyner, keep the offense stocked with Talent for McVay etc.

We have to remember, it's not like our defense was a world beater last year with him. It takes more than one great DT to be a dominant defense.

We ALL want him in horns, but we can't shoot ourselves in the foot. Mario Williams, Ndamukong Suh, Muhammad Wilkerson, JJ Watt...just 4 players that never lived up to their contracts.

...then again...what's weirder? Paying the greatest defensive player in the NFL "over the odds", or paying a WR a crap ton of money before he ever takes a competitive snap with us and the only real game data to assess him on, is with HOF all time great QB's?

Who knows...not me lol. Not an easy decision for the Rams. In many ways, it's a lose-lose situation and they'll get criticised regardless.

Agree with the part of the pie part.

Brandon Cook is a guy McVay has had an eye on & now knows him up close. The Rams had 2 Divas last season in Tavon Austin & Sammy Watkins going back and forth with wanting touches. Cook will work himself into those touches. I watched him last season because my girlfriend had him on her fantasy. He fought through a tough patch at one point. He became a better player for it.

It’s a Aaron Donald thread & he is still not in camp. I’m good with that part of it , the problem is what is his future with The Rams ?

I can not jump to conclusions ,but that said The Rams do have him locked in for 3 more years if they just sit tight. He will get paid market value. Tru Johnson took advantage of
The franchise cap twice.

The signing of Todd Gurley makes this more possible than ever. The Rams can back load Jared Goff’s contract.He is a very humble QB who will be more about winning than the money.

SeminoleRam

Pro Bowler
Name
PaceRam
I apologize as I know this has been discussed several times but I have to admit that I am really getting confused (Old Age!) but just how long can the Rams keep Aaron Donald a Ram without his wishes? I thought I read that even if he becomes a Free Agent in 2019 (If, He reports to camp by August 7th?) the Rams can still tag him for another 2 or more seasons? Sorry, For for rehashing this subject/question but I am just trying to get the facts straight in my head and if those facts are correct I just can't see Donald not coming to terms with the Rams in the near future since it seems to me he could win the Battle but lose the War? Seems like losing several million a year over the next few years would negate the few million a year difference that they are arguing about now?

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

...then again...what's weirder? Paying the greatest defensive player in the NFL "over the odds", or paying a WR a crap ton of money before he ever takes a competitive snap with us and the only real game data to assess him on, is with HOF all time great QB's?

the rams have a plan of attack. if they want someone to stay they will give him the money.

and cooks is a home run for mcvay. so happy they signed him and not watkins.

ProGen

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
the rams have a plan of attack. if they want someone to stay they will give him the money.

and cooks is a home run for mcvay. so happy they signed him and not watkins.

Me too. I was just offering it as a different perspective. McVay REALLY wanted Cooks and we know he'll have a plan for him. Week one, I bet he lights it up.

As for Donald! This coaching staff/FO do not seem like fools. I can't see them getting us in a bind over a DT getting QB1 money.

Merlin

Damn the torpedoes
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
I apologize as I know this has been discussed several times but I have to admit that I am really getting confused (Old Age!) but just how long can the Rams keep Aaron Donald a Ram without his wishes? I thought I read that even if he becomes a Free Agent in 2019 (If, He reports to camp by August 7th?) the Rams can still tag him for another 2 or more seasons? Sorry, For for rehashing this subject/question but I am just trying to get the facts straight in my head and if those facts are correct I just can't see Donald not coming to terms with the Rams in the near future since it seems to me he could win the Battle but lose the War? Seems like losing several million a year over the next few years would negate the few million a year difference that they are arguing about now?

Under the CBA the Rams can play a lot of hardball, three years if they so choose, but it comes with the drawback of them eating his cap hit and the distraction/drama of a great player holding out. I think they might be able to request a cap waiver, someone else can probably shed light on that as I am not certain, but the player and in particular a great player can cause all manner of unpleasantness if he's properly motivated to do so.

I presume AD's representation is claiming he will hold out until he's paid to neutralize the "tag him 3x years" thing. That's strong leverage for the Rams, but not if he is willing to sit out for a couple years if it comes down to that. Given him being willing to not show up period, and the contract impasse remaining in effect, the team almost surely will reach that point where they elect to move him. So IMO the "Rams hold all the cards" argument is a bit overdone, because any player can dig in enough to have the team wash their hands even a future HoF type dude.

And players do it different ways too. You can not show up and be a distraction, or you can be there and be a distraction. Remember our own Eric Dickerson during his final season in horns? He was a malcontent who showed up and would occasionally elect to not play like that Browns game where he went in the game for a play, ran for a TD, and went back to the bench. I don't think AD has it in him to show up and be a distraction. And I also don't think he has it in him to sit out a year or two. So if I had to guess, I would think hardball might be the extra incentive he needs to get his ass in there and sign a compromise. But if not, then he'll be moved relatively quickly thereafter IMO.

Rams43

Hall of Fame
Under the CBA the Rams can play a lot of hardball, three years if they so choose, but it comes with the drawback of them eating his cap hit and the distraction/drama of a great player holding out. I think they might be able to request a cap waiver, someone else can probably shed light on that as I am not certain, but the player and in particular a great player can cause all manner of unpleasantness if he's properly motivated to do so.

I presume AD's representation is claiming he will hold out until he's paid to neutralize the "tag him 3x years" thing. That's strong leverage for the Rams, but not if he is willing to sit out for a couple years if it comes down to that. Given him being willing to not show up period, and the contract impasse remaining in effect, the team almost surely will reach that point where they elect to move him. So IMO the "Rams hold all the cards" argument is a bit overdone, because any player can dig in enough to have the team wash their hands even a future HoF type dude.

And players do it different ways too. You can not show up and be a distraction, or you can be there and be a distraction. Remember our own Eric Dickerson during his final season in horns? He was a malcontent who showed up and would occasionally elect to not play like that Browns game where he went in the game for a play, ran for a TD, and went back to the bench. I don't think AD has it in him to show up and be a distraction. And I also don't think he has it in him to sit out a year or two. So if I had to guess, I would think hardball might be the extra incentive he needs to get his ass in there and sign a compromise. But if not, then he'll be moved relatively quickly thereafter IMO.

Well, this is just my opinion, Merlin.

But I don’t think AD will sit very long, if at all. It would cost him a fortune in lost game checks. Over a million per game while he’s haggling over a difference of approx $4 million per year. AD needs the Rams a helluva lot more than the Rams need AD. AD will surely blink first in a holdout. He didn’t even make it for one game last year. Lol.

A trade would require so many difficult things to line up perfectly for it to happen that it seems all but impossible.

Finding a team willing to pay AD his $25 million, or so.
And willing to pay Rams 1st round picks for a couple of years.
And finding a team acceptable to both AD and the Rams. Rams won’t accept an NFC West team, probably no NFC team. Certainly not a team they’re likely to see in the playoffs.
AD probably wouldn’t approve a perennial losing team. He hates losing.

So, like I said already, a holdout would be very short lived and a “forced trade” seems highly unlikely.

Checkmate.

Merlin

Damn the torpedoes
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
A trade would require so many difficult things to line up perfectly for it to happen that it seems all but impossible.

I think you're way off there 43. Players of AD's stature are not hard to move. Even with those complications you list. He is young, and a future HoF player. Les would have plenty of suitors if and when the Rams elect to put him on the trade block.

Again, hope it doesn't come to that. But I have seen several posts about how hard it'll be to move AD if it comes to that and I think you people are crazy. This isn't some middle of the road player. Elite players who are still young and in their prime with zero history of injury will always have suitors. Always.

SeminoleRam

Pro Bowler
Name
PaceRam

Thanks Merlin for the Information! First of all I don't think the Rams (Especially, Coach McVay!) will let this go on for three years but it does sound like to me that they (The Rams) hold the better hand! Does Aaron Donald really want to be tagged which seems to me will cost him a lot of money and will he have the same value and be able to demand (And, Get) the same offer or more in three years that he is getting now from the Rams? I realize he might get more but the old saying "A BIRD IN THE HAND IS WORTH TWO IN A BUSH" could come back to haunt him if he has any injuries, just not as dominant as he is now or other teams prefer to spend their money elsewhere. I do think AD takes a Major Gamble if he decides to hold out! It would definitely hurt the Rams if he doesn't sign but in my mind it could do a lot more damage to his career (And, Quite possibly, His Finances!) if he holds out too long. Call me WAY TOO OPTIMISTIC but I do think Aaron Donald and the Rams will come to terms in the pretty near future! I just think they both have to much to lose if they don't and I have to think there is a very good relationship/respect between AD and the Rams!

Akrasian

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

Finding a team willing to pay AD his $25 million, or so.
And willing to pay Rams 1st round picks for a couple of years.
And finding a team acceptable to both AD and the Rams. Rams won’t accept an NFC West team, probably no NFC team. Certainly not a team they’re likely to see in the playoffs.
AD probably wouldn’t approve a perennial losing team. He hates losing.

There'd be limited teams to pay him what he (may) be demanding. But there are some.

I think Snead is creative enough to find compensation that the Rams would be willing to take and that the other team would pay. Maybe not two firsts, but there are mixtures of good picks and young players that the Rams would be happy about, including possibly subbing for one of the firsts somewhat later picks and a young player to fill a hole this year or next. The Rams are likely most concerned about filling holes with suitable players and saving cap space for other players to be signed.

I'm not concerned about which teams Donald prefers. FWIW, any team with the cap room is not an immediate contender most likely, but a team trying to be in a position to rise - and that's how they'd sell themselves to AD.

AD will surely blink first in a holdout. He didn’t even make it for one game last year. Lol.

Well, last year after agreeing to report while having his fines waived, he intentionally dawdled showing up so he would get his game check but couldn't play. I interpreted that as his way of saying that "You won this time, but I have power too". I suspect his competitive nature will have him holding out without giving in - IF he chooses to hold out at all.

Last edited:

Rams43

Hall of Fame
I think you're way off there 43. Players of AD's stature are not hard to move. Even with those complications you list. He is young, and a future HoF player. Les would have plenty of suitors if and when the Rams elect to put him on the trade block.

Again, hope it doesn't come to that. But I have seen several posts about how hard it'll be to move AD if it comes to that and I think you people are crazy. This isn't some middle of the road player. Elite players who are still young and in their prime with zero history of injury will always have suitors. Always.

I stand by my statements, Merlin.

Finding a team that would pay him $25 million might be possible.

But also willing to give up two firsts?

AND not be in the NFC West?

And not be a playoff threat team for the Rams?

For a D player that never touches the football and can only play 70% of the D snaps?

Man...

That’s a buttload full of filters, if you ask me. Probably easier to find a unicorn. Lol.

And don’t get me started about his inability to sit while watching his teammates play and win games while he knows he’s flushing over a million dollars of his money per game down the toilet. He won’t sit very damned long, trust me.

Akrasian

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I stand by my statements, Merlin.

Finding a team that would pay him $25 million might be possible.

But also willing to give up two firsts?

AND not be in the NFC West?

And not be a playoff threat team for the Rams?

For a D player that never touches the football and can only play 70% of the D snaps?

Man...

That’s a buttload full of filters, if you ask me. Probably easier to find a unicorn. Lol.

And don’t get me started about his inability to sit while watching his teammates play and win games while he knows he’s flushing over a million dollars of his money per game down the toilet. He won’t sit very damned long, trust me.

Top of my head, the Browns. A team many think will rise quickly, so likely acceptable to AD, especially since his old DC is there.

Lots of young players, a ton of cap room left this season so AD can be frontloaded.

Has a strong need to show major improvement THIS season.

And as I've said elsewhere, the Rams and them could probably strike a deal that both sides find fair. Snead is creative.

Rams43

Hall of Fame
Top of my head, the Browns. A team many think will rise quickly, so likely acceptable to AD, especially since his old DC is there.

Lots of young players, a ton of cap room left this season so AD can be frontloaded.

Has a strong need to show major improvement THIS season.

And as I've said elsewhere, the Rams and them could probably strike a deal that both sides find fair. Snead is creative.

Well, would AD agree to a trade with the Browns, Akrasian?

Reason I ask is because he reportedly hates to lose and was fed up with Fisher.

Akrasian

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Well, would AD agree to a trade with the Browns, Akrasian?

Reason I ask is because he reportedly hates to lose and was fed up with Fisher.

Likely to be a rising team. Has the money to pay him. Has his former DC.

If the Rams made a deal contingent on his signing, and he refused, his likely options are caving in to the Rams or not playing, and his agent wanting to be paid would tell him that.

dang

Legend
Agree with the part of the pie part.

Brandon Cook is a guy McVay has had an eye on & now knows him up close. The Rams had 2 Divas last season in Tavon Austin & Sammy Watkins going back and forth with wanting touches. Cook will work himself into those touches. I watched him last season because my girlfriend had him on her fantasy. He fought through a tough patch at one point. He became a better player for it.

It’s a Aaron Donald thread & he is still not in camp. I’m good with that part of it , the problem is what is his future with The Rams ?

I can not jump to conclusions ,but that said The Rams do have him locked in for 3 more years if they just sit tight. He will get paid market value. Tru Johnson took advantage of
The franchise cap twice.

The signing of Todd Gurley makes this more possible than ever. The Rams can back load Jared Goff’s contract.He is a very humble QB who will be more about winning than the money.
Sorry but Tavon is the opposite of a diva. I don’t think I ever heard him complain about not touching the ball despite adjusted playing time as he was bounced between being PR, WR or RB.
As a result I will forever regard Tavon as a “We not Me” player.

I think Watkins has shown some diva tendencies in the past but I didn’t see that last year. However he did show a lack of effort or knowledge during a number of plays but not Diva status.

If Donald doesn’t sign then he will play way below market this year and below market for the next 2 years. I believe that is the golden ticket to get him to sign. The problem may be however that he is expecting the Rams to make up for the bargain on Donald the last 4 years. If that is the case that may be the root cause in the gap of the current contract expectations.

ReekofRams

Hall of Fame
Name
Reek

I just wonder if the Rams could get equal value for Aaron. I can't think of any time when big names were traded that the team trading him got back equal value. Can you think of a time when trading a big name got traded that the team got equal value in return?

Status
Not open for further replies.