Aaron Donald’s contract situation

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.
Status
Not open for further replies.

12intheBox

Legend
Name
Wil Fay
The point I'm making is that changing it is against Kroenke's interests, which is why he won't vote to do so. AD doesn't owe us a duty to take less money because the owners have put artificial constraints on what teams spend because it benefits them. It's a business. Both sides are playing the game.

It may actually be in his interests - as one of the richer owners. I suppose its debatable whether he would make more money being able to field a superior team year after year or if the NFL would suffer league wide if half of the teams were never really competitive. But the "poorer" owners would certainly never vote for it.

ramsplaya16

The One and Only
Also, why wouldn’t the owners want more money? That’s generally how businesses work. The owners assume all of the monetary risk, pay a fair amount to their employees (tens of millions of more than fair, don’t give me the BS of the injury argument, the players assume that risk when they decide to go pro, otherwise they can take their free college education and get a job outside of football).

I’m not against the salary cap at all, look at baseball with no salary cap, yeah the players are making big money ( just wait until machado and Harper get deals this offseason) but the same 5-6 teams are the only ones in the running generally every year with a couple teams sprinkled in every couple years.

I have no problem with the salary cap, but I don’t believe one player is worth the kind of money he’s asking, I also don’t have a problem with him trying to get more money, that’s his choice, but if he will hold out, he won’t get paid until one side gives in. IMO the ball is in their court, I believe our offer is fair, but his side doesn’t see it that way. Why walk away from 20+ mil a year, to make 0$ a year? Seems like a no brainer to me.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
The point I'm making is that changing it is against Kroenke's interests, which is why he won't vote to do so. AD doesn't owe us a duty to take less money because the owners have put artificial constraints on what teams spend because it benefits them. It's a business. Both sides are playing the game.

Because nobody here understands it's a business. Right. Got it, thx. (y)

pmil66

Starter
Name
pmil
The rookie scale was a big part of the problem that the last CBA tried to fix. I don't blame AD for wanting more one bit. I just don't buy this - "I won't play again unless" mallarky. Of course, I recognize that AD hasn't said this (that I have heard) and all kinds of crazy things are put out in complex negotiations.

But consider this: AD has made under 10 million so far. Today, he could sign a deal that guarantees him (I'm assuming here) something in the range of 70 million and if he stays heathy and plays the full contract, actually pays something closer to $120 million.

Or he can stay home and make nothing. $0 million.

Are we really thinking that if the Rams play hardball and keep their long term offer where it is that he really going to settle for the goose egg?

Certainly hope he is not one to challenge the system in place currently, as both of us certainly want to see #99 lining up at his DE spot to lead the D into a super bowl run this season. Seeing those workout videos that have been posted, he has worked his ass off to become the player he is today. Maybe he is the 1 to challenge and hold out until he gets what he wants. Hope not.

Akrasian

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I don't think AD is the bad guy, and nobody gives more effort than him on the field or when prepping.

But it is things like this second hold out - which I expected - and unprecedented demands - which I also expected - that had me suggesting during his first hold out that he be traded if acceptable offers came along. I really hoped that before free agency this past offseason that he would be traded to the Browns (for say their #4 first rounder plus various lower picks spread over years). His value would never be higher, and the Rams would have had resources and time to build their roster.

I understand why he would want so much money, and am hoping that the reports are wrong, and he's just trying to get a token amount more than Mack, while missing practices that he barely needs. But the Rams have shown they are willing to pay players well now, and it can't be good for the team for its best defensive player to miss training camp for two seasons in a row.

I suspect either he reports soon, or is traded by the beginning of the league year 2019.

Kevin

Pro Bowler
We understand that. The artificial constraint/salary cap was agreed to by the owners and players union, so it's not an arbitrary limit, it's a real spending cap. AD can do whatever he wants to do, within the limits of the agreement. Same with the Rams.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I don't think AD is the bad guy, and nobody gives more effort than him on the field or when prepping.

But it is things like this second hold out - which I expected - and unprecedented demands - which I also expected - that had me suggesting during his first hold out that he be traded if acceptable offers came along. I really hoped that before free agency this past offseason that he would be traded to the Browns (for say their #4 first rounder plus various lower picks spread over years). His value would never be higher, and the Rams would have had resources and time to build their roster.

Yeah I hate the tendency nowadays to make everything black & white. I mean since I think AD is probably asking for too much at this point, obviously I think it's his fault or I'm demonizing him in some way. It's ridiculous.

If the leaked information is true, he's asking for too much. Period.

Now, from there, things can go a few different ways. Rams can cave. Donald can cave. Or the Rams can make the decision to move him for a blockbuster deal.

Once again, if that information that was "leaked" is correct I doubt the Rams will cave. I doubt Donald will cave. And him not showing up until he gets a new deal will change the equation in terms of the Rams' patience. Trade suddenly goes from the possibility nobody is really considering to a very strong option.

RamDino

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Even if that 21M per year offer is legit, we still don't know the details. Mainly, how much money is guaranteed. Isn't that what counts anyway? And we don't know how much is guaranteed. I think the next deadline is August 7th, but let's not get too far ahead of ourselves, and let's not get too crazy either. AD will sign, IMHO, because his other options stink (tags, Cleveland trade, keep Suh,etc). But AD is being very quiet and professional... let's give him the benefit of the doubt, and not treat him like he is a greedy villain here. He just might be reading this stuff!! I still believe he will sign at some point.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Even if that 21M per year offer is legit, we still don't know the details. Mainly, how much money is guaranteed. Isn't that what counts anyway? And we don't know how much is guaranteed. I think the next deadline is August 7th, but let's not get too far ahead of ourselves, and let's not get too crazy either. AD will sign, IMHO, because his other options stink (tags, Cleveland trade, keep Suh,etc). But AD is being very quiet and professional... let's give him the benefit of the doubt, and not treat him like he is a greedy villain here. He just might be reading this stuff!! I still believe he will sign at some point.

To date we've assumed AD will be showing up in time to get his final year credit. But if he is unhappy enough with his deal that he's willing to hold out until he's paid... Well that changes things.

When that happens deals either get done (both sides will get very serious on the deal) or when they are too far apart players get traded. At this point things are beginning to look different this time around, where I doubt we can rule anything out. I used to feel that a deal would get done even if things got a bit rocky but I'm not nearly as certain of that now.

yrba1

Mild-mannered Rams fan
With all the anger and bitterness, it sure seems like some are taking it personally.

Hoping there's a significant increase in the salary cap next season. Demoff, Snead, and McVay are trying to build a sustainably good team for years to come in the salary cap era. I'm quite certain we would've signed Donald to a reasonable contract had there been no salary cap.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
There's nothing disingenuous about it. That's a bullcrap response. Donald gets hated on for playing the game. I'm telling people that they're backing the billionaire over the millionaire. Kroenke and the owners acted in their best business interest in enacting the salary cap to protect their profits, and Donald is acting in his best business interests now by trying to get max value on his contract. Donald should not be expected to take less so that Kroenke can make more. Don't hate the player; hate the game.

How about the team? How much is Kroenke worth? How much are the Rams worth?

That second quote has no basis in the reality of the NFL. You know damned well there is a salary cap in this league and all teams are capped at the amount they can spend. Teams are likewise required to spend a minimum. Kroenke could be the richest guy in the world and it doesn't change the amount of money the Rams can spend on salary one single penny and you know that.

We all want AD in camp and we all want him properly compensated, but acting like the Rams aren't offering him enough is bad on them because Kroenke is a billionaire is so far out of left field it's not even funny. You know as well as anybody the business side of the NFL. The Union with the approval of it's players signed off on it, quit blaming just one side of it. In these battles between the Union and the NFL only one side truly loses, us fans.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Hoping there's a significant increase in the salary cap next season. Demoff, Snead, and McVay are trying to build a sustainably good team for years to come in the salary cap era. I'm quite certain we would've signed Donald to a reasonable contract had there been no salary cap.
The cap has gone up about $10 million every year under this current CBA there's no reason to think it won't go up that much again with the new streaming deals they signed. As long as fans keep going to games and contributing their hard earned money the player and owners should again see some nice revenue gains.

Dodgersrf

Name
Scott
The agent is doing his job. Donald is paying him for that reason. It's a business. People need to stop taking this personally. And I'll take the Super Bowl win with the DPOY over taking the business personally and cutting off our nose to spite our face.
If Donald holds out this year, than his agent certainly is NOT doing his job WELL.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
That second quote has no basis in the reality of the NFL. You know damned well there is a salary cap in this league and all teams are capped at the amount they can spend. Teams are likewise required to spend a minimum. Kroenke could be the richest guy in the world and it doesn't change the amount of money the Rams can spend on salary one single penny and you know that.

I also know damned well and explained damned well who wants the salary cap in place. You're conveniently ignoring that point which puts everything you quoted into a very clear and intellectually honest context.

Faceplant

Still celebrating Superbowl LVI
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Pick'em Champion
I'm telling people that they're backing the billionaire over the millionaire.
Except they're not, and that is a "bullshit" assumption. I am a RAMS fan... and I want what is best for the TEAM. If that means the Rams and AD are not able to get a long term deal done, then so be it. He will play out his contract and whatever tags are placed on him or they can trade him. I could care less about Kronke's or Donald money in any way other than how it affects the RAMS ability to maneuver within the current cap structure. Its as simple as that really. WE not ME.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Except they're not, and that is a "bullcrap" assumption. I am a RAMS fan... and I want what is best for the TEAM. If that means the Rams and AD are not able to get a long term deal done, then so be it. He will play out his contract and whatever tags are placed on him or they can trade him. I could care less about Kronke's or Donald money in any way other than how it affects the RAMS ability to maneuver within the current cap structure. Its as simple as that really. WE not ME.

The Rams are a billion-dollar business owned by a billionaire. It's exactly what you're doing. In fact, it's a testament to the NFL that they've been able to build such strong brand loyalty that fans see themselves more as part of the "team" than customers of extremely profitable businesses. I'm guilty of that too, but I'm not going to feel some type of way about a player trying to maximize his value.

Status
Not open for further replies.