Aaron Donald’s contract situation

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.
Status
Not open for further replies.

12intheBox

Legend
Name
Wil Fay
I love AD , I will vouch and say he is the best defensive player in the leauge .

I have never seen a player do what he does and he is truly special. BUT if this report is true that they declined 21 million per year then I can accept him leaving LA in the near future.

I know he can be tagged but if he chooses to sit out then what can the team do ? Fine him?
Will he ask for a trade? I know alot of teams would pay him whatever he asks

This sukcs and this is where I hate greedy agents ..how is 21 million and playing on this team not enough ?

Would 25 million a year in Indianapolis or cleveland be better ? Just ridiculous

They can let him sit out. He wont count against our cap, our 53 man roster, or anything else. They can let him sit and see how that works out for him. He can demand a trade all he wants - doesn't mean the Rams have to go for it.

If he wants to get to free agency, he needs to play his way there - and right now, he a long way away from that day.

Turducken

Starter
I'm not saying he should be expected to take less - but the Rams shouldnt be expected to pay more, either. They have to build a complete team.

The CBA is the CBA - its a league and they need to play by the rules of that league. Those rules give the Rams most of the leverage here - leaving AD in a position where he can ....

a. retire
b. take a long term deal that his team is offering
c. play out his rookie deal and as many tags as he has to to hit free agency

Those are his choices - and there really aren't any others.

They are hoping to make option b as lucrative as they can - and I don't blame them a bit for doing that. But the Rams know there is no 4th choice and option A is a total load of crap.
Isn't his fourth choice to just not report and make them continue to tag him year after year? Rams only get one tag per year and it sucks to use it on someone who isn't playing. Isn't that his ultimate leverage (rather than retire)?

12intheBox

Legend
Name
Wil Fay
August 7th.

I don't really see that as a deadline with teeth. I get why it could be seen that way - but I'm guessing that we dont see a deal inked until closer to August 30th or even the first week of September. It needs to be obvious to his camp that the Rams are prepared to begin the season - and play the season - without him.

12intheBox

Legend
Name
Wil Fay
Isn't his fourth choice to just not report and make them continue to tag him year after year? Rams only get one tag per year and it sucks to use it on someone who isn't playing. Isn't that his ultimate leverage (rather than retire)?

Nah, if he doesn't show up - we don't have to use the tag on him at all - or even pay him what he is owed under his rookie contract. He doesn't even move a year closer towards free agency. We retain his exclusive rights under his rookie deal until he plays his rookie deal. By not showing up - he is effectively retiring until he does show up.

ReekofRams

Hall of Fame
Name
Reek
You think the parties to an agreement can't agree to later alter that agreement?
Yes I do, and I think they will. But that's later, right now they all have to work under the current CBA. So what they may or may not do in the future has no effect on the here and now.

pmil66

Starter
Name
pmil
Ndamukong Suh's rookie contract with Detroit in 2010 was for 5 years 65 million. Aaron Donald's rookie contract was for 4 years 10.13 million in 2014. Donald's 5th year he will be paid 6.8 million. Donald was drafted at 13, Suh at 2. Can understand why Donald wants 25 million per year, considering he is 50 million behind Suh in career earnings, after the tremendous start to his career he has had.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Yes I do, and I think they will. But that's later, right now they all have to work under the current CBA. So what they may or may not do in the future has no effect on the here and now.

They could do it today if they wanted. The owners don't want to do it. They want more money in their pockets.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
This is silly Jrry! What business man if given an option would? The players union is just as much to blame as the owners for the current CBA so quit trying to blame just one side for it, it's disingenuous.

There's nothing disingenuous about it. That's a bullshit response. Donald gets hated on for playing the game. I'm telling people that they're backing the billionaire over the millionaire. Kroenke and the owners acted in their best business interest in enacting the salary cap to protect their profits, and Donald is acting in his best business interests now by trying to get max value on his contract. Donald should not be expected to take less so that Kroenke can make more. Don't hate the player; hate the game.

12intheBox

Legend
Name
Wil Fay
Ndamukong Suh's rookie contract with Detroit in 2010 was for 5 years 65 million. Aaron Donald's rookie contract was for 4 years 10.13 million in 2014. Donald's 5th year he will be paid 6.8 million. Donald was drafted at 13, Suh at 2. Can understand why Donald wants 25 million per year, considering he is 50 million behind Suh in career earnings, after the tremendous start to his career he has had.

The rookie scale was a big part of the problem that the last CBA tried to fix. I don't blame AD for wanting more one bit. I just don't buy this - "I won't play again unless" mallarky. Of course, I recognize that AD hasn't said this (that I have heard) and all kinds of crazy things are put out in complex negotiations.

But consider this: AD has made under 10 million so far. Today, he could sign a deal that guarantees him (I'm assuming here) something in the range of 70 million and if he stays heathy and plays the full contract, actually pays something closer to $120 million.

Or he can stay home and make nothing. $0 million.

Are we really thinking that if the Rams play hardball and keep their long term offer where it is that he really going to settle for the goose egg?

12intheBox

Legend
Name
Wil Fay
There's nothing disingenuous about it. That's a bullcrap response. Donald gets hated on for playing the game. I'm telling people that they're backing the billionaire over the millionaire. Kroenke and the owners acted in their best business interest in enacting the salary cap to protect their profits, and Donald is acting in his best business interests now by trying to get max value on his contract. Donald should not be expected to take less so that Kroenke can make more. Don't hate the player; hate the game.

Does Kroenke make more the less he pays Donald? I believe the Rams will be one of the teams that spends right up to the limit of the salary cap. Payroll is payroll, regardless of who is getting paid.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Does Kroenke make more the less he pays Donald? I believe the Rams will be one of the teams that spends right up to the limit of the salary cap. Payroll is payroll, regardless of who is getting paid.

Not with the salary cap. But that's the point. People argue Donald making more hurts us, but the salary cap is an artificial constraint created so the owners can retain their profits.

ReekofRams

Hall of Fame
Name
Reek
They could do it today if they wanted. The owners don't want to do it. They want more money in their pockets.
@jrry32 you're incorrigible and insufferable:cheers:, but I still like you and respect your opinion, but I'm out of this discussion.

12intheBox

Legend
Name
Wil Fay
Not with the salary cap. But that's the point. People argue Donald making more hurts us, but the salary cap is an artificial constraint created so the owners can retain their profits.

Sure it is, but Kroenke can't change that on his own even if he wanted to. The owners and players together could (and you are right as to why they won't) but its a reality of the situation that the NFL is currently in. The less AD takes, the more room the Rams have to add or retain other pieces. That may not be the way it should be - but it is the way it is.

I agree that AD shouldn't be the "bad guy" here - but the Rams aren't either. I would be completely in favor of removing the cap - but until that happens, I root for the team to get team friendly deals.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
@jrry32 you're incorrigible and insufferable:cheers:, but I still like you and respect your opinion, but I'm out of this discussion.

I very likely am all those things, but Article 70 Section 9 of the CBA allows for its modification at any time by a written agreement signed by the authorized reps of the NFL and the NFLPA. ;)

majrleaged

Hall of Fame
If he doesn't report they dont have to tag him

Kevin

Pro Bowler
The salary cap is like a budget. The more you spend on one budget item like AD, the less you have to spend on other items, the other players. Assuming the Rams spend almost up to the cap, which they are at now for 2018.

Merlin

Damn the torpedoes
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
At this point, if that really is AD's official position - then it is time for the Rams to harden. They hold the leverage and AD's - I won't play another down position is entirely illogical. Keep your best offer on the table - always be willing to welcome him back if he is ready to become the highest payed defensive player in history and show up - but tell him that you have a team to run and if he doesn't show up for this season, that you will begin working on Goff, Peters, and possibly extending Suh. If by the time AD decides he wants to play again, the cap situation has changed, then the offer may get worse. He can still come play out the rest of his contract and play under the tag - or he can waste a few of his prime out of football. AD just doesn't have many options other than to threaten retirement - which is a non position.

If I am the Rams, offers don't improve from here.

Yep and like I mentioned before they need to start by levying the fines if he doesn't sign the deal. Here's the deal, take it or leave it. Best offer is best offer. No player is greater than the team, not even Donald. If he insists on QB money it's probably going to be in another team's uniform. Rams have too many great players to lock up.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Sure it is, but Kroenke can't change that on his own even if he wanted to. The owners and players together could (and you are right as to why they won't) but its a reality of the situation that the NFL is currently in. The less AD takes, the more room the Rams have to add or retain other pieces. That may not be the way it should be - but it is the way it is.

I agree that AD shouldn't be the "bad guy" here - but the Rams aren't either. I would be completely in favor of removing the cap - but until that happens, I root for the team to get team friendly deals.

The point I'm making is that changing it is against Kroenke's interests, which is why he won't vote to do so. AD doesn't owe us a duty to take less money because the owners have put artificial constraints on what teams spend because it benefits them. It's a business. Both sides are playing the game.

ramsplaya16

The One and Only
Regardless of how good he is, hes not worth 25+ million to me. If he really did reject a 21 mil offer, then let it play out. If he doesn’t report he doesn’t get paid. Gotta play hardball.

The rams are offering to make him the highest paid D player in the league. I think that’s fair. I also think it’s outrageous to ask for QB money when one defensive player can’t possibly impact a game as much as an elite QB can.

Status
Not open for further replies.