Aaron Donald’s contract situation

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Yes, Jrry, I hear you, but since a fan base is in love with a player like Aaron Donald, it becomes much more than business to them, right? IF the agent is representing AD as he should, a deal will be done, I believe. If he (the agent) is unrealistic and bullheaded, or likewise the team is, then we have problems. AD is almost a once in a lifetime talent, like Reggie White was for the Eagles. I don’t know if Philly’s management was wrong there or Reggies manager was messed up, but a one in a lifetime DE ended leaving a town that loved him, and went to Green Bay. Sure it worked out for White and his agent and the Green Bay Packers, but I imagine it crushed Eagles fans who cheered for him every Sunday. It’s more than just business.

Well, those Eagles fans should have directed their anger at the team, not the player.

The agent appears to be making this into an either/or type of scenario, which was my point. When it gets there, I'll take the wins and playoffs rather than the DPOY.

The agent and the team are negotiating. They're playing hardball. A deal will get done. It's a business.

P.S. I'll take the Super Bowls and DPOY over a few million bucks.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
It's all ego at this point. AD missing his 2nd TC. Not a team player. "I'm the best, so I have to get paid the most" EGO.

Sorry AD, but you aren't as important to the team as a Goff, Gurley, or Cooks.
This has been dragging on for going on 2 years and its affecting the team negatively. Not a team player. Ego.

Quibbling over 21 or 25 mil. That's so much money AD's great-great grand kids will never have to work. What's the difference between 21 and 25 mil when you can't even spend a 1/4 of it in your lifetime? Ego. Not a team player. Might as well be quibbling over 20 trillion or 25 trillion. So many zeroes it's pointless. No way you can spend it. Ego. "I'm the best, so I have to get paid the most" Ego. I was on AD side when this all started. Not any more.

How about the team? How much is Kroenke worth? How much are the Rams worth? Why should Donald take less to help those who are richer than him? The Rams have a massive amount of cap room, yet they're also quibbling over that amount. Stop taking the business personally.

Do you think AD would be right to tell you that you should take less money from your job, Bubba?

12intheBox

Legend
Name
Wil Fay
How about the team? How much is Kroenke worth? How much are the Rams worth? Why should Donald take less to help those who are richer than him? The Rams have a massive amount of cap room, yet they're also quibbling over that amount. Stop taking the business personally.

Do you think AD would be right to tell you that you should take less money from your job, Bubba?

This is one of the problems with the salary cap - it becomes a reality of the situation. The more that AD takes, the less there is for the rest of the team. If this were baseball - I think everyone would be on team Donald.

As it is, I'm on team Rams.

And I know negotiations are negotiations, but if AD's agents really are threatening not playing another down, I'd be inclined to call that bluff.

thirteen28

I like pizza.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Erik
I saw a report that Donald's agent doesn't feel the August 7th reporting date matters, but I know he needs to be here to avoid becoming an RFA in 2019. Does anyone know how Donald can work this to avoid that situation? Does he have to just refuse to play until he gets a new deal to pull it off?

IF his agent truly believes that, then he is doing his client a great disservice because AD loses a year of accrued tenure toward free agency. Either way, the Rams can control rights to AD for the next 3 years. I don't know what the franchise tag figure is for DT's, but they would probably even save money and AD wouldn't get his long term deal. He's 27 now, so the Rams would control his rights until he's 30, and could let him walk then - at which time there is virtually no way he would get the same deal that's likely on the table for him now. So let him play hardball ... he's just cutting off his nose to spite his face.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
This is one of the problems with the salary cap - it becomes a reality of the situation. The more that AD takes, the less there is for the rest of the team. If this were baseball - I think everyone would be on team Donald.

As it is, I'm on team Rams.

And I know negotiations are negotiations, but if AD's agents really are threatening not playing another down, I'd be inclined to call that bluff.

Why should AD be expected to take less? If someone else will pay him what he believes is his worth, the Rams are the bad guys here. The salary cap is a team creation. If the 32 owners wanted to get together and raise it to pay the players more, do you think the players would complain?

thirteen28

I like pizza.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Erik
This is one of the problems with the salary cap

And that's the crux of the problem for AD right there. It's not about whether Stan has the money to pay AD or not, we know the extra $4 million he is alleged to want per year is couch cushion change for a guy like Kroenke. The issue is the cap which puts a hard limit on the resources you have to allocate to players. It would be absolutely foolish for the Rams to put the extension of a franchise QB like Goff in jeopardy to extend AD with QB type money.

12intheBox

Legend
Name
Wil Fay
Why should AD be expected to take less? If someone else will pay him what he believes is his worth, the Rams are the bad guys here. The salary cap is a team creation. If the 32 owners wanted to get together and raise it to pay the players more, do you think the players would complain?

I'm not saying he should be expected to take less - but the Rams shouldnt be expected to pay more, either. They have to build a complete team.

The CBA is the CBA - its a league and they need to play by the rules of that league. Those rules give the Rams most of the leverage here - leaving AD in a position where he can ....

a. retire
b. take a long term deal that his team is offering
c. play out his rookie deal and as many tags as he has to to hit free agency

Those are his choices - and there really aren't any others.

They are hoping to make option b as lucrative as they can - and I don't blame them a bit for doing that. But the Rams know there is no 4th choice and option A is a total load of crap.

Kevin

Pro Bowler
I think it's hard to paint the Rams as "bad guys" if they truly are offering Donald over $20M per year for 4 or 5 years. It all depends on how the contract is structured and how much money is guaranteed. GMF touched on it this morning when talking about Julio Jones. Do you sign a long-term deal and crow about being the highest paid at your position for a while, knowing that you won't see the money in the last year or two of that contract, or do you bet on yourself and sign a short-term deal for less total, but more guaranteed money, and become an UFA and test your worth on the open market?

MadGoat

Mathematically alive
In reality, the Rams are likely one of the few teams that might oppose a salary cap. They are one of the most valuable teams, have deep pockets, and play in a market where adding star players would likely pay off. So they really aren't the bad guys, they are simply operating within the rules negotiated between the owners themselves and with the players.

thirteen28

I like pizza.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Erik
I think it's hard to paint the Rams as "bad guys" if they truly are offering Donald over $20M per year for 4 or 5 years.

Not to mention making him the highest paid defensive player in the league, and the first to break the $20 million barrier for that side of the ball. If it is true that's what the Rams are offering, then I don't think you can make them out to be the bad guys. It's not as if AD would be getting the shaft or be underpaid on such a deal.

ReekofRams

Hall of Fame
Name
Reek
No the owners can't, not according to the collective bargaining agreement. The players and owners can't do anything until it expires. So they all have to play by the same rules.
Yes Aaron Donald is free to ask any amount he wants, but a team first person who wants to win Super Bowls would realize that he can still get paid even more than the current rate and be the highest paid defensive player in the NFL, while still making it feasible to be fair to the rest to the team so that Superbowls are still possible. If he's not going to play fair, then we treat him as the child he would be acting like.
However, let me state clearly, that despite certain media rubbish, I respect Aaron and think that fair negotiations between him and the Rams are taking place, and soon all will be solved. Maybe then we can talk about football.

majrleaged

Hall of Fame
If I'm following correctly, Donald can sit out later because the Rams will franchise Donald even if he was due to become a RFA in 2019. They can't risk him signing a deal they can't/won't match.
Correct. He also could just hold out till next year without it changing that status. I still say, you dont trade or change a fair offer. See where he is after he sits without a pay check.
Besides if they cant signed him this year maybe they sign Peter's instead. Or suh.

majrleaged

Hall of Fame
Correct. He also could just hold out till next year without it changing that status. I still say, you dont trade or change a fair offer. See where he is after he sits without a pay check.
Besides if they cant signed him this year maybe they sign Peter's instead. Or suh.
Also they can just franchise him next three years after that. Unless he gets injured, then, that's the way he wants it that's the way he gets it.

Legatron4

Legend
Name
Wes
Y'all worry too much. Aaron Donald will be a Ram for 15 years. A deal will be done before the deadline and you will all forget this ever happened.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
In reality, the Rams are likely one of the few teams that might oppose a salary cap. They are one of the most valuable teams, have deep pockets, and play in a market where adding star players would likely pay off. So they really aren't the bad guys, they are simply operating within the rules negotiated between the owners themselves and with the players.

Kroenke isn't going to oppose a salary cap.

No the owners can't, not according to the collective bargaining agreement. The players and owners can't do anything until it expires. So they all have to play by the same rules.

You think the parties to an agreement can't agree to later alter that agreement?

Adi

Pro Bowler
Name
Adi
I love AD , I will vouch and say he is the best defensive player in the leauge .

I have never seen a player do what he does and he is truly special. BUT if this report is true that they declined 21 million per year then I can accept him leaving LA in the near future.

I know he can be tagged but if he chooses to sit out then what can the team do ? Fine him?
Will he ask for a trade? I know alot of teams would pay him whatever he asks

This sukcs and this is where I hate greedy agents ..how is 21 million and playing on this team not enough ?

Would 25 million a year in Indianapolis or cleveland be better ? Just ridiculous

1maGoh

Hall of Fame
Y'all worry too much. Aaron Donald will be a Ram for 15 years. A deal will be done before the deadline and you will all forget this ever happened.
I don't think he's going to have a15 year career. 3 years from now he'll be 30 with a 7 year career. 38 year old AD probably won't be playing football.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Kroenke isn't going to oppose a salary cap.

This is silly Jrry! What business man if given an option would? The players union is just as much to blame as the owners for the current CBA so quit trying to blame just one side for it, it's disingenuous.

Legatron4

Legend
Name
Wes
I don't think he's going to have a15 year career. 3 years from now he'll be 30 with a 7 year career. 38 year old AD probably won't be playing football.
I think you underestimate him. Julius Peppers is still playing at 38.

Status
Not open for further replies.