Aaron Donald’s contract situation

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.
Status
Not open for further replies.

dang

Legend
Well one of the most important pieces of this is what Aaron ends up with in California.. after assumes agents fee and federal and state taxes... 22 million a year ends up being about 8.9 million.. a lot of money of course but not as much as he may want. The agent may be exposed to same issues and trying to get as much as he can..!! ??
Let his agent tap into $$$$$$$ endorsements for Donald. No better place than LA LA land. Or better yet give up a little of his % to make the deal. Its done all of the time in the real estate market - especially on big $$$ contracts.

Rams4life

Rookie
Name
Bud
Joe Curley vouches for him:

Joe Curley

@vcsjoecurley

Eric is real. He’s there a lot. He’s not making this up. Someone definitely told him this.
8:55 PM - Jul 25, 2018

See Joe Curley's other Tweets

[twitter.com]

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
The agent is doing his job. Donald is paying him for that reason. It's a business. People need to stop taking this personally. And I'll take the Super Bowl win with the DPOY over taking the business personally and cutting off our nose to spite our face.
Yes, Jrry, I hear you, but since a fan base is in love with a player like Aaron Donald, it becomes much more than business to them, right? IF the agent is representing AD as he should, a deal will be done, I believe. If he (the agent) is unrealistic and bullheaded, or likewise the team is, then we have problems. AD is almost a once in a lifetime talent, like Reggie White was for the Eagles. I don’t know if Philly’s management was wrong there or Reggies manager was messed up, but a one in a lifetime DE ended leaving a town that loved him, and went to Green Bay. Sure it worked out for White and his agent and the Green Bay Packers, but I imagine it crushed Eagles fans who cheered for him every Sunday. It’s more than just business.

Ram65

Legend
Well one of the most important pieces of this is what Aaron ends up with in California.. after assumes agents fee and federal and state taxes... 22 million a year ends up being about 8.9 million.. a lot of money of course but not as much as he may want. The agent may be exposed to same issues and trying to get as much as he can..!! ??

This was based on what players are getting paid not what they keep. That's another can of worms.

96GS#007

Pro Bowler
The agent is doing his job. Donald is paying him for that reason. It's a business. People need to stop taking this personally. And I'll take the Super Bowl win with the DPOY over taking the business personally and cutting off our nose to spite our face.

The agent appears to be making this into an either/or type of scenario, which was my point. When it gets there, I'll take the wins and playoffs rather than the DPOY.

XXXIVwin

Hall of Fame
Joe Curley vouches for him:
Eric is real. He’s there a lot. He’s not making this up. Someone definitely told him this.]

Crap. If Geller’s source is legit, then it’s looking like a real possibility that 2018 could be AD’s last year as a Ram.

As others have posted, however, It just makes no sense for AD not to sign now... even if he’s traded away next year and gets a shiny new 4 year 112 M (28M per year) contract, he still would probably end up with less overall, since he will only be getting around 7M for 2018.

OTOH, keep in mind, AD has been massively underpaid during his first five years. First four years combined were for 10M. Wow. AD is looking for payback.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Crap. If Geller’s source is legit, then it’s looking like a real possibility that 2018 could be AD’s last year as a Ram.

As others have posted, however, It just makes no sense for AD not to sign now... even if he’s traded away next year and gets a shiny new 4 year 112 M (28M per year) contract, he still would probably end up with less overall, since he will only be getting around 7M for 2018.

OTOH, keep in mind, AD has been massively underpaid during his first five years. First four years combined were for 10M. Wow. AD is looking for payback.

The Rams could play hardball and have him 3 years at least. Especially since now Gurley has a deal and the Rams won't need to franchise him. Getting $25 million a year as a DT is BS.

tempests

Hall of Fame
]

Eric is real. He’s there a lot. He’s not making this up. Someone definitely told him this.
8:55 PM - Jul 25, 2018

"Somebody" did, the problem is it could be anybody.

The Rams and Donald's agents agreed from the start not to leak things to the media. Snead just said, not two days ago, they were going to keep the details of the Donald negotiation in house.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
https://www.thescore.com/nfl/news/1575325

Report: Rams' Donald won't play another down on existing contract

Los Angeles Rams star defensive tackle Aaron Donald did not report to training camp Wednesday, and it appears he won't be doing so until he gets a raise.

There is a belief around the NFL that Donald will not play another down on his existing contract, ESPN's Adam Schefter reported. This could result in a lengthy holdout until he and the Rams agree on a new deal.

Donald has previously stated he intends to hold out for a second consecutive season.

General manager Les Snead has said he is simultaneously working on a new contract for the star defender after recently extending Todd Gurley and Brandin Cooks.

The interior pass-rusher is under contract for 2018 thanks to the fifth-year option of his rookie deal, which will pay him $6.8 million this season

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
tenor.gif

dang

Legend
Donald proved he doesn't need training camp/preseason - so again - probably nothing until 8/7. Then either he is signed or all terms of the negotiation will become public - and the "Bad Guy" in this plot is revealed.

MadGoat

Mathematically alive
I saw a report that Donald's agent doesn't feel the August 7th reporting date matters, but I know he needs to be here to avoid becoming an RFA in 2019. Does anyone know how Donald can work this to avoid that situation? Does he have to just refuse to play until he gets a new deal to pull it off?

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I saw a report that Donald's agent doesn't feel the August 7th reporting date matters, but I know he needs to be here to avoid becoming an RFA in 2019. Does anyone know how Donald can work this to avoid that situation? Does he have to just refuse to play until he gets a new deal to pull it off?

doesn't make a difference. the rams would franchise tag him no matter what designation he has.

it's just so frustrating we have no idea why this has dragged on so long. but going on recent signings by the rams they're not low balling anyone. which leads to only one conclusion.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
"There's a belief around the NFL" "unnamed sources" just a couple of the catch phrases that let you know to not take the report seriously.

dang

Legend
Being a RFA vs UFA is a big deal. It allows the Rams to control retention or release of Donald and I believe compensation if signed by another team. Much better situation for Rams and worse situation for Donald. So his agent is bluffing if he is indicating it doesn't matter. I really hope this is all about the guaranteed $$ and not something else. The contract $$/yr is an ego thing compared to guaranteed $$.

bubbaramfan

Legend
Camp Reporter
It's all ego at this point. AD missing his 2nd TC. Not a team player. "I'm the best, so I have to get paid the most" EGO.

Sorry AD, but you aren't as important to the team as a Goff, Gurley, or Cooks.
This has been dragging on for going on 2 years and its affecting the team negatively. Not a team player. Ego.

Quibbling over 21 or 25 mil. That's so much money AD's great-great grand kids will never have to work. What's the difference between 21 and 25 mil when you can't even spend a 1/4 of it in your lifetime? Ego. Not a team player. Might as well be quibbling over 20 trillion or 25 trillion. So many zeroes it's pointless. No way you can spend it. Ego. "I'm the best, so I have to get paid the most" Ego. I was on AD side when this all started. Not any more.

Last edited:

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Being a RFA vs UFA is a big deal. It allows the Rams to control retention or release of Donald and I believe compensation if signed by another team. Much better situation for Rams and worse situation for Donald. So his agent is bluffing if he is indicating it doesn't matter. I really hope this is all about the guaranteed $$ and not something else. The contract $$/yr is an ego thing compared to guaranteed $$.

if ad is a rfa and another team signs him for an amount the rams don't want to match all they get is one 1st round pick. no way they don't franchise tag him after this season if they can't get a deal done now.

MadGoat

Mathematically alive
if ad is a rfa and another team signs him for an amount the rams don't want to match all they get is one 1st round pick. no way they don't franchise tag him after this season if they can't get a deal done now.

If I'm following correctly, Donald can sit out later because the Rams will franchise Donald even if he was due to become a RFA in 2019. They can't risk him signing a deal they can't/won't match.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
If I'm following correctly, Donald can sit out later because the Rams will franchise Donald even if he was due to become a RFA in 2019. They can't risk him signing a deal they can't/won't match.

giphy.gif.1f4fc213bfb4048b80101642f7e75c8a.gif

12intheBox

Legend
Name
Wil Fay
At this point, if that really is AD's official position - then it is time for the Rams to harden. They hold the leverage and AD's - I won't play another down position is entirely illogical. Keep your best offer on the table - always be willing to welcome him back if he is ready to become the highest payed defensive player in history and show up - but tell him that you have a team to run and if he doesn't show up for this season, that you will begin working on Goff, Peters, and possibly extending Suh. If by the time AD decides he wants to play again, the cap situation has changed, then the offer may get worse. He can still come play out the rest of his contract and play under the tag - or he can waste a few of his prime out of football. AD just doesn't have many options other than to threaten retirement - which is a non position.

If I am the Rams, offers don't improve from here.

Status
Not open for further replies.