Aaron Donald’s contract situation

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.
Status
Not open for further replies.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I'm not really into speculating. Just saying that they're trying to make him the highest paid defensive player and he isn't taking it. Whatever the numbers are, they've offered highest paid defensive player money. He isn't taking it. I don't fault the Rams here. That was my point.
Lol.
Did you actually read the article? Snead never says they've offered him a contract that makes him the highest paid defender. So you in fact speculating.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
You’re speculating that he isn’t taking it :)
We know they said there is a timeline set up. For all we know, more speculation, they’re waiting to announce it so he can skip a couple weeks of camp.
Lol right?
Regurgitating old articles that don't say anything, spinning what was said?
Amazing how much weight headlines carry

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
giphy.gif

bubbaramfan

Legend
Camp Reporter
If the Rams make AD the highest paid defensive player, 20+ mil a year, They're not going to risk that. AD won't be in TC or play in pre-season.

I can see the hoopla now. Rams sign AD to record contract, 10 days later AD tears ACL in TC and will miss the entire season. Rams on the hook for 20 mil..

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
If the Rams make AD the highest paid defensive player, 20+ mil a year, They're not going to risk that. AD won't be in TC or play in pre-season.

I can see the hoopla now. Rams sign AD to record contract, 10 days later AD tears ACL in TC and will miss the entire season. Rams on the hook for 20 mil..
Or..he's the next Merlin Olsen paying 15 years straight, never missing a game due to injury...You never know.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap30...ct-talks-have-been-great?campaign=Twitter_atn

Rams exec: Talks with Aaron Donald have been 'great'
By Marc Sessler

Around the globe, next-level Madden enthusiasts have previewed an on-screen Rams defense for 2018 that stars wild behemoth Ndamukong Suh paired with game-plan destroyer Aaron Donald.

In our world, Donald's participation has hit a snag.

Nestled in the final year of his rookie deal, the All-Pro defensive tackle bypassed both organized team activities and mandatory minicamp. We all know why: He's after a meaty raise on the $6.892 million salary scheduled to light up his direct-deposit in 2018.

At a Los Angeles-based event flaunting the team's new stadium, Rams COO and VP Kevin Demoff weighed in Tuesday on Donald's status a month out from training camp.

"I think when you build stadiums like this, it's with players like Aaron Donaldin mind," Demoff told NFL Network's Steve Wyche. "And we've been at this process, working with them for the past year and a half to try to make sure that Aaron is not only here for the opening of the stadium but plays well into his years. And that he can play in the 2022 Super Bowl in his own home stadium."

Demoff added: "So we're working on it and we'll keep pushing forward. The dialogue's been great. It's been positive. I think [Donald] and coach [Sean] McVay have a terrific relationship. We look forward to getting this done. And putting Aaron in the place where he should be among the highest-paid defensive players."

Asked if negotiations would net results before training camp -- preventing additional, breathless, inch-by-inch updates on NFL.com -- Demoff refused to cave in, echoing Wyche's reporting this month that "nobody could say for certain" if a deal was imminent.

"Well, it will be done before the stadium's done," Demoff joked. "Nah, we're going to keep wishing and hoping. I hope it's done sooner than training camp, but if it goes to training camp, our goal is to make sure it's done and that he feels rewarded and that it's a win-win deal for both sides."

It's clear the Rams value their immensely talented defensive destroyer. The team spent loads of money and picks on newly minted teammates who make this Rams unit a Super Bowl-worthy entry.

It all comes back to Donald, though, a talent who surpasses today's version of Suh or anyone else on the roster. The Rams understand that -- and hope to end this elongated dog-and-pony show before camp.

Easier said than done.

tempests

Hall of Fame
"I think when you build stadiums like this, it's with players like Aaron Donaldin mind," Demoff told NFL Network's Steve Wyche. "And we've been at this process, working with them for the past year and a half to try to make sure that Aaron is not only here for the opening of the stadium but plays well into his years. And that he can play in the 2022 Super Bowl in his own home stadium."

That's quite a statement.

XXXIVwin

Hall of Fame
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap30...ct-talks-have-been-great?campaign=Twitter_atn

Rams exec: Talks with Aaron Donald have been 'great'
By Marc Sessler

Around the globe, next-level Madden enthusiasts have previewed an on-screen Rams defense for 2018 that stars wild behemoth Ndamukong Suh paired with game-plan destroyer Aaron Donald.

In our world, Donald's participation has hit a snag.

Nestled in the final year of his rookie deal, the All-Pro defensive tackle bypassed both organized team activities and mandatory minicamp. We all know why: He's after a meaty raise on the $6.892 million salary scheduled to light up his direct-deposit in 2018.

At a Los Angeles-based event flaunting the team's new stadium, Rams COO and VP Kevin Demoff weighed in Tuesday on Donald's status a month out from training camp.

Demoff added: "So we're working on it and we'll keep pushing forward. The dialogue's been great. It's been positive. I think [Donald] and coach [Sean] McVay have a terrific relationship. We look forward to getting this done. And putting Aaron in the place where he should be among the highest-paid defensive players."

Asked if negotiations would net results before training camp -- preventing additional, breathless, inch-by-inch updates on NFL.com -- Demoff refused to cave in, echoing Wyche's reporting this month that "nobody could say for certain" if a deal was imminent.

"Well, it will be done before the stadium's done," Demoff joked. "Nah, we're going to keep wishing and hoping. I hope it's done sooner than training camp, but if it goes to training camp, our goal is to make sure it's done and that he feels rewarded and that it's a win-win deal for both sides."

It's clear the Rams value their immensely talented defensive destroyer. The team spent loads of money and picks on newly minted teammates who make this Rams unit a Super Bowl-worthy entry.

It all comes back to Donald, though, a talent who surpasses today's version of Suh or anyone else on the roster. The Rams understand that -- and hope to end this elongated dog-and-pony show before camp.

Easier said than done.
Ugh.

No real “new news” of course, but I’m glad to hear Demoff is optimistic. It’s better than the alternative.

Just curious, when you’ve been in a stalemate for a year-and-a-half, how is it possible to say “The dialogue has been great”? To each his own...

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
Just knowing how Demoff & Snead have helped get cap space & bring in McVay type players.

ScotsRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Niall
Ugh.

No real “new news” of course, but I’m glad to hear Demoff is optimistic. It’s better than the alternative.

Just curious, when you’ve been in a stalemate for a year-and-a-half, how is it possible to say “The dialogue has been great”? To each his own...

What dialogue really was there last year though? The team had all the leverage, Donald had 2 years left on his deal. He really took bad advice last year IMO.

dang

Legend
Lets hope this is all part of the master plan. allowing Donald to work out on his own until training camp with no pressure to show up - then signing his contract when by the time he has to show up (by Aug 9??) to retain his UFA status. It would not be good for him or the Rams to have him unsigned after that date.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Ugh.

Neither side is going to tip their hand.
Snead didn't, Demoff isn't, and Donald side says nothing...

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member

Interesting wording.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

Jeff Darlington on nfl live said that the money on the table from the rams is very, very large. Said that everyone is saying pay the man now but the closer the season approaches the narrative will change to Aaron you better take this deal because the money the rams are offering is very, very large.

They also showed 6 of ad's sacks from last season. They think he's worth every cent. They were laughing at the poor offensive linemen that got schooled by him.

Last edited:

bubbaramfan

Legend
Camp Reporter
Neither side wants to finalize a deal because they've had so much fun with "dialogue" the last year and a half,:deadhorse:

XXXIVwin

Hall of Fame
Can there be a win win deal for both sides?
I think so, I hope so.

IMHO a 5 year deal at 21 M per year, with a ton of guaranteed money, would be a win/win. Rams get the best defensive player in the NFL locked up for five years in his prime. AD gets to be the highest-paid player on defense, ever, by a significant margin.

My guess is Rams are offering 20 (per) and AD’s agent is asking for 24. Rams have leverage, so I hope they meet at 21. (And yeah, I know it’s more complicated than that...)

Video of Demoff’s recent comments are up on the Rams website.

XXXIVwin

Hall of Fame
Interesting wording.
Given Demoff’s overall optimism, I think he was still implying that the Rams were offering more than any CURRENT player—but maybe not more than Mack will get.

That’s how I read the tea leaves...

Status
Not open for further replies.