Aaron Donald’s contract situation

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.
Status
Not open for further replies.

iamme33

Pro Bowler
Name
dan
Another "excellent" speculative piece designed to get clicks that is based on absolutely zero facts. Again you can speculate all you want.

ok my speculation is nothing gets done this year and next year we use the unresected tag on a d then we get 2 1st round picks and everyone moves on. this is pure spec on my part nothing to back it up.

Ken

Starter
Name
Ken Morris
Some of my thoughts, FWIW. I don't think 'they' are waiting for Mack to sign a contract first this offseason, since that's very unlikely to happen. If AD's side wants an early opt out, give it to him. Offer a 3 year contract that makes him the highest paid defender (~ 21 mil/yr average fully guaranteed). Because the salary cap this year precludes paying AD that amount, he would play this year on the option, and that contract would start in the 19/20 season, but his guarantees could apply immediately, in the event of injury.

That's not what any of us want, but i believe it's better for the Rams in the long run not to try to leverage AD with tags, but to pay him in the neighborhood of what he's earned. Then you also put other options for AD to consider. Like a 7 year contract that starts out at 23 mil/yr and increases 1/2 mil/yr thereafter with ~ 90 mil (1st 4 seasons) guaranteed. After 4 years, either side can opt out if the pay is not in line with the production.

If AD's side wants significantly more than the 7 year contract offer, and are not willing to accept the 3 year offer, then you may have to threaten to use the tag leverage. AD's side would be crazy to not accept one of these offers versus playing on the option/tags or holding out.

Name
George
Yeah - not going to play this game with you. If you are going to call bullcrap on the Rams you should have a basis. But it's clear you don't so freak it. I'm done with this circle jerk.
yes, your strawman argument failed. I don't know why you changed the context of what I said. It was very disingenuous of you to do that.

Name
George
ok my speculation is nothing gets done this year and next year we use the unresected tag on a d then we get 2 1st round picks and everyone moves on. this is pure spec on my part nothing to back it up.
It is a possibility that isn't far fetched. I hope it doesn't come to that.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I'm still of the opinion AD and the Rams are in a ("wink, wink, nod nod") Orlando Pace type situation to keep him out of harms way during pre-season and TC.

Just sayin' because its been done before, with Pace and last season with AD.

But who knows. Both sides have been very careful not to let details out.
Totally different.
OP was getting 1 year franchise deals and avoiding camp.
Donald is working out like a demon while not attending official workouts

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
I wouldn't mind a three-year deal with a potential opt-out. Is it what I want? Not really; I want AD to be a Ram for life. But it's fair to the Rams, fair to Donald, and fair to the fans. At least it's a multi-year deal. Then we can focus on Cooks, Gurley, Goff, and Peters.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I wouldn't mind a three-year deal with a potential opt-out. Is it what I want? Not really; I want AD to be a Ram for life. But it's fair to the Rams, fair to Donald, and fair to the fans. At least it's a multi-year deal. Then we can focus on Cooks, Gurley, Goff, and Peters.
A three year deal with an opt out? When would the opt out be exercised?

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I think Mem meant a long term deal with an opt out after the 3rd year maybe? If we don't franchise him before signing that deal I wouldn't mind that contract. He opts out after 3 years we can franchise him after he opts out. I'm not a fan of opt outs but I get it.

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma

I think Mem meant a long term deal with an opt out after the 3rd year maybe? If we don't franchise him before signing that deal I wouldn't mind that contract. He opts out after 3 years we can franchise him after he opts out. I'm not a fan of opt outs but I get it.

Yeah, OldSchool's contract is what I meant.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Got it. Makes sense.
@Memento or you know if there are any other contracts in nfl with opt out? I would imagine that the prorated money would accelerate if a player opts out which would make it very difficult for a team to offer. If they give hime signing bonus of 30k spread over 6 years and he opts out after 3, I would imagine that they would have to take the hit instead of spreading 3 more years

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Got it. Makes sense.
@Memento or you know if there are any other contracts in nfl with opt out? I would imagine that the prorated money would accelerate if a player opts out which would make it very difficult for a team to offer. If they give hime signing bonus of 30k spread over 6 years and he opts out after 3, I would imagine that they would have to take the hit instead of spreading 3 more years
I just read through a lot of gobbley gook about NBA contracts and option years and I'd imagine with the next cba the NFL and the Union will address this. A couple of things I found were options can only be in the last year of a contract for the NBA and they're either player or team options, not both. And the other is the contract will deal with the money in the opt out year whether it's guaranteed or not. I'd imagine any team will try to work it so there is no guaranteed money they're on the hook for if a player opts out.

With the leverage the Rams have I can't see them offering an opt out. One thing that would be interesting to see is a contract that goes up at the same rate each year as the salary cap. So we pay him just for argument $20 million year one of the contract. Every year that goes up the same rate as the salary cap. This year the cap went up a little over 6% so his base would go up this year to $23,320,000. Guaranteed from the signing bonus would stay the same.

1maGoh

Hall of Fame
I just read through a lot of gobbley gook about NBA contracts and option years and I'd imagine with the next cba the NFL and the Union will address this. A couple of things I found were options can only be in the last year of a contract for the NBA and they're either player or team options, not both. And the other is the contract will deal with the money in the opt out year whether it's guaranteed or not. I'd imagine any team will try to work it so there is no guaranteed money they're on the hook for if a player opts out.

With the leverage the Rams have I can't see them offering an opt out. One thing that would be interesting to see is a contract that goes up at the same rate each year as the salary cap. So we pay him just for argument $20 million year one of the contract. Every year that goes up the same rate as the salary cap. This year the cap went up a little over 6% so his base would go up this year to $23,320,000. Guaranteed from the signing bonus would stay the same.
Didn't Steven Jackson have a player option on the last year of his last contract? I seem to remember something like that, but it was long ago.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Didn't Steven Jackson have a player option on the last year of his last contract? I seem to remember something like that, but it was long ago.
They negotiated with 2 years left on his contract that if they didn't sign him to an extension before the final year he could opt out. It's unclear what he gave up financially for that. The Rams though lost out on a comp pick for him because of the modifying the last year of his contract. It will be interesting to see if they address options in the next CBA.

RamBall

Legend
Camp Reporter
Name
Dave
Krapondick had an opt out clause in his last contract. He opted out and never got picked up by anyone.

Ram65

Legend
Got caught up on four pages of speculation.

I'm still of the opinion AD and the Rams are in a ("wink, wink, nod nod") Orlando Pace type situation to keep him out of harms way during pre-season and TC.

Just sayin' because its been done before, with Pace and last season with AD.

But who knows. Both sides have been very careful not to let details out.

I would go even further. They could have a deal in place and will announce it in time for Donald to come into camp and be ready game one against the Raiders.

Rams save interest and keep Donald healthy.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
If I were the Rams right now and IF my best offer isn't close to what AD's reps are requiring, I would trade him for a couple first round picks and move on.

Rams are going to need to find their LT of the future soon, and/or could otherwise use those picks to supplement their roster with pieces that complement the stars that want to be here. Gurley and Goff are the identity of this team moving forward and I don't think the Rams want to tie up their franchise designation for two years for a guy who is not the central identity of the team. I love AD, but the dude has to be within a certain range of salary for me to lock him up and whatever that salary expectation is, IF the two sides are far apart the Rams need to make a hard decision of what is best for the team.

I know this won't be popular with most of you, and hopefully they aren't that far apart. But I am getting myself ready for that kind of thing, where he might not be a Ram long term after all. Hope I'm wrong.

Rams43

Hall of Fame
Well, this has been a helluva thread, huh?

Couple of things that the AD camp, and particularly his agents, should be seriously thinking about.

1) If AD refuses to extend when offered something in the $20-22 million range with $60-70 million guaranteed, then they are cutting off their noses to spite their faces. Meaning that the lost income via even just the 5th year option salary scheduled for this year vs what could have been earned via extension can never be made up. Never. AD stands to lose millions by delaying now, no matter what he ultimately settles for.

Here’s the math, by way of explanation. If AD doesn’t extend he earns merely $6.9 this year. If he extends for, say, $22 million, then he would earn $15.1 million more. Honestly, ask yourself if you really believe that AD will be able to negotiate more than an extra $3 million per year for 5 years to offset this “loss”? Me neither. And that’s just the ‘18 season! The shortfall keeps compounding through ‘19-‘20. Checkmate.

2) AD and his agents are taking a terrible chance by risking serious injury prior to his signing the inevitable extension. Again, such an injury would cost him irretrievable millions. More millions than he could ever recover in a subsequent extension.

These are 2 completely avoidable risks that I think responsible agents should be driving home to AD.

As an aside, I doubt that the guaranteed amount is a major sticking point. I suspect that the Rams are willing to agree to a 5-6 year extension with $60-70 million guaranteed. I can’t prove it, of course, but it seems like common sense, doesn’t it?

Bottom line? Prudence dictates that AD should accept something in the $100-120 million for 5 years with $65 million guaranteed. And he should do so before August 7th, his required reporting date to secure qualifying eligibility for future UFA status.

To do otherwise seems quite reckless, don’t you think?

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
If I were the Rams right now and IF my best offer isn't close to what AD's reps are requiring, I would trade him for a couple first round picks and move on.

Which teams still have money to throw around?

Status
Not open for further replies.