Aaron Donald’s contract situation

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.
Status
Not open for further replies.

nighttrain

Legend
Browns, that would serve him right if he is holding us up for some outrageous sum
train

tempests

Hall of Fame
If I were the Rams right now and IF my best offer isn't close to what AD's reps are requiring, I would trade him for a couple first round picks and move on.

If the Rams were still mucking around with 7-9 W/L records I might see that. But they brought in Suh, Peters, Talib and Cooks, by any outward appearance to make a push for the SB.

Trading away their defensive MVP before the season sets us back. To fans, players, coaches, that would send a confusing message.

nighttrain

Legend
If the Rams were still mucking around with 7-9 W/L records I might see that. But they brought in Suh, Peters, Talib and Cooks, by any outward appearance to make a push for the SB.

Trading away their defensive MVP before the season sets us back. To fans, players, coaches, that would send a confusing message.
to late to trade this season, he plays for his contract, then traded
train

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member

That's a fair point. And with a guy of AD's caliber if they know it's not going to get done they can tag/deal him after the season.

One thing's for sure: if they know it's not going to happen, i.e. the numbers are too far apart, they need to make him pay the non-show fines. If they're close, well, hopefully it'll get done.

Steve808

Pro Bowler
Name
Steve
I believe the Rams have all the leverage for this season because if AD doesn't comply with his contract at a certain date, he cannot become a UFA next season. I believe it's because he held out last season so maybe he got bad advice. Hopefully the front office can get it done so as not to become a distraction this season.

Of course I want to see AD paid and under contract for another 5 years if possible.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Anything new?
Nope?
Ok, see ya
tenor.gif

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
I believe the Rams have all the leverage for this season because if AD doesn't comply with his contract at a certain date, he cannot become a UFA next season. I believe it's because he held out last season so maybe he got bad advice. Hopefully the front office can get it done so as not to become a distraction this season.

Of course I want to see AD paid and under contract for another 5 years if possible.

It's going to be interesting to see a couple things here real soon...

First, will AD hold out in camp again. Because he can do that without affecting his UFA status. And also because he had a defensive MVP season after a camp holdout. So while none of us know the ins and outs of the money discussions, I have to think there's a good chance that AD does hold out through camp.

Second, will the Rams dock his pay for his absence if he does. To date it's been all rainbows and unicorns with the team spin on the situation, but don't think for a moment other players on the team aren't watching this unfold. And in the face of "We Not Me," the players in that locker room might be wondering "why don't I agent up" to get mine. I mean why not when the best player on the team can do what he wants without being fined.

Best case scenario is a deal gets done. But if not, here's hoping the Rams find their balls and throw them on the table.

1maGoh

Hall of Fame
It's going to be interesting to see a couple things here real soon...

First, will AD hold out in camp again. Because he can do that without affecting his UFA status. And also because he had a defensive MVP season after a camp holdout. So while none of us know the ins and outs of the money discussions, I have to think there's a good chance that AD does hold out through camp.

Second, will the Rams dock his pay for his absence if he does. To date it's been all rainbows and unicorns with the team spin on the situation, but don't think for a moment other players on the team aren't watching this unfold. And in the face of "We Not Me," the players in that locker room might be wondering "why don't I agent up" to get mine. I mean why not when the best player on the team can do what he wants without being fined.

Best case scenario is a deal gets done. But if not, here's hoping the Rams find their balls and throw them on the table.
I swear I've read a bunch of articles that said if he holds out in camp he will remain an RFA. Did you see something that said he'll still be a UFA?

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I swear I've read a bunch of articles that said if he holds out in camp he will remain an RFA. Did you see something that said he'll still be a UFA?
If he doesn't report by I think it was August 10th, maybe 7th, he loses this year towards his service time which he also missed last year. That would make him a restricted free agent this off season. In all honesty that's irrelevant though. The Rams aren't going to let him go out without a franchise tag, it could be less money than what he would sign as a restricted free agent and would be more compensation for us.

XXXIVwin

Hall of Fame
If AD refuses to extend when offered something in the $20-22 million range with $60-70 million guaranteed, then they are cutting off their noses to spite their faces...

Here’s the math, by way of explanation. If AD doesn’t extend he earns merely $6.9 this year. If he extends for, say, $22 million, then he would earn $15.1 million more. Honestly, ask yourself if you really believe that AD will be able to negotiate more than an extra $3 million per year for 5 years to offset this “loss”? Me neither.

Well said, Rams 43. Donald’s agent (Todd France) is a poker player who likes to go “all in” and put maximum pressure in order to get the big payday. But what if the Rams call his bluff, never give in, keep the current contract, and tag him next year? AD would end up losing out.

Since all we have is speculation, I prefer speculation from an agent who is familiar with Todd France. I imagine this has been posted already somewhere in this monster thread, but here it is.

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/...-khalil-mack-are-still-waiting-for-new-deals/

Last edited:

XXXIVwin

Hall of Fame
Frankly I’ve read conflicting reports about this. The facts are consistent, but the interpretations of the facts are not.

Fact: If AD does not report by August 7, AD will NOT be an UFA next year, he will merely be a RFA.

Interpretation one (Cameron de Silva, I think): This is a big difference, and AD would be crazy to let the Aug.7 deadline pass.

Interpretation two: It doesn’t really matter that much if AD is forced to be “only” a RFA next year, because the Rams will use the franchise tag on him next year regardless (if a new deal isn’t signed before then).

My take: Sounds like one of two things will happen by Aug. 7: either a big new deal is announced, or AD reports to camp. If AD holds out beyond Aug. 7, sounds he’s not really helping his own cause very much.

XXXIVwin

Hall of Fame
Found the quote from Les Snead.

He said, “[Aaron Donald is]on the verge of being the highest-paid defensive player in football.” Link:

https://theramswire.usatoday.com/20...-rams-aaron-donald-les-snead-contract-update/

To me, this sounds like Snead has conceded the point that the Rams are comfortable with the idea of paying AD an average of $20 M per year.

To speculate further, AD is holding out because he wants more than that.

Some people on this thread have noted that “no reports of dollar amounts have been confirmed.” But this quote from Snead tells me that the Rams have already offered a contract that is at or above $20 M per year.

Again, best article I’ve read about this is from Joel Corry. (Link is two posts above this one). Corry makes a plausible argument that the Rams are offering 20 per, but AD’s camp is looking for something more like 24 per. (And other sticking points could include guaranteed money, length, opt-out clauses, etc.)

Last edited:

shaunpinney

Hall of Fame

He said, “[Aaron Donald is]on the verge of being the highest-paid defensive player in football.” Link:

https://theramswire.usatoday.com/20...-rams-aaron-donald-les-snead-contract-update/

To me, this sounds like Snead has conceded the point that the Rams are comfortable with the idea of paying AD an average of $20 M per year.

Some people on this thread have noted that “no reports of dollar amounts have been confirmed.” But this quote from Snead tells me that the Rams have already offered a contract that is at or above $20 M per year.

Again, best article I’ve read about this is from Joel Corry. (Link is two posts above this one). Corry makes a plausible argument that the Rams are offering 20 per, but AD’s camp is looking for something more like 24 per. (And other sticking points could include guaranteed money, length, opt-out clauses, etc.)

IMHO to turn down a $20MPY contract is crazy...

1maGoh

Hall of Fame

Dang it. Where's that guy I was discussing this with?

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

Dang it. Where's that guy I was discussing this with?

Probably me, but you realize all these podcast's and articles all cite Snead talking yet never does he mention a dollar figure. Even in this podcast with King he says the same thing "highest paid defensive player". We can assume whatever we want but he is not saying a specific dollar figure. For reference the current highest paid defensive player is Fletcher Cox who has a total value contract of $102 million with Von Miller having the most guaranteed at $70 million and this years highest cap hit is Justin Houston at $20.6 million. So we can keep speculating from there what the numbers will be.

1maGoh

Hall of Fame
Probably me, but you realize all these podcast's and articles all cite Snead talking yet never does he mention a dollar figure. Even in this podcast with King he says the same thing "highest paid defensive player". We can assume whatever we want but he is not saying a specific dollar figure. For reference the current highest paid defensive player is Fletcher Cox who has a total value contract of $102 million with Von Miller having the most guaranteed at $70 million and this years highest cap hit is Justin Houston at $20.6 million. So we can keep speculating from there what the numbers will be.

I'm not really into speculating. Just saying that they're trying to make him the highest paid defensive player and he isn't taking it. Whatever the numbers are, they've offered highest paid defensive player money. He isn't taking it. I don't fault the Rams here. That was my point.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I'm not really into speculating. Just saying that they're trying to make him the highest paid defensive player and he isn't taking it. Whatever the numbers are, they've offered highest paid defensive player money. He isn't taking it. I don't fault the Rams here. That was my point.
You’re speculating that he isn’t taking it :)
We know they said there is a timeline set up. For all we know, more speculation, they’re waiting to announce it so he can skip a couple weeks of camp.

Status
Not open for further replies.