Aaron Donald’s contract situation

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.
Status
Not open for further replies.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
What dialogue really was there last year though? The team had all the leverage, Donald had 2 years left on his deal. He really took bad advice last year IMO.

How can you say that ?? He will make more $$$ now , after proving his worth again.

iamme33

Pro Bowler
Name
dan
How can you say that ?? He will make more $$$ now , after proving his worth again.

if he was offered 20 mil last year he lost 18 mil so he would have to get 23.5 mil for the next 5 years to make up what he lost

drasconis

Starter
Name
JA
if he was offered 20 mil last year he lost 18 mil so he would have to get 23.5 mil for the next 5 years to make up what he lost

That is assuming he was offered $20 mil last year.......we do not know what he was offered or how it was set up (bonus set-up guaranteed money, or length of term).

Ram65

Legend
I think so, I hope so.

IMHO a 5 year deal at 21 M per year, with a ton of guaranteed money, would be a win/win. Rams get the best defensive player in the NFL locked up for five years in his prime. AD gets to be the highest-paid player on defense, ever, by a significant margin.

My guess is Rams are offering 20 (per) and AD’s agent is asking for 24. Rams have leverage, so I hope they meet at 21. (And yeah, I know it’s more complicated than that...)

Video of Demoff’s recent comments are up on the Rams website.

I've had doubts since the beginning. There are so many question about the deal.

Length
Signing Bonus
Guaranteed Money
Escalator Clause to being (top 3-5) highest defensive paid player every year.

Seemed like 20 Million was the magic number last year. We still have no verified numbers. I thought 22 Million is the highest the Rams could go. It depends some on year to year amounts. I watched the video and Demoff doesn't really seem to say much.

dang

Legend
The guaranteed $$$$ is the biggest factor which I have to believe the Rams have been very generous. The question is what is the next item on the table?? Opt out clause after 3 years? Incentive bonuses? Total contract terms?

dang

Legend
August 8th is the key date for Aaron reporting to camp. No show by then is bad news for both Donald and Rams. No contract by then indicates Rams have shown their hand and Donald will have to show his.

JIMERAMS

Pro Bowler
Name
Bill
The guaranteed $$$$ is the biggest factor which I have to believe the Rams have been very generous. The question is what is the next item on the table?? Opt out clause after 3 years? Incentive bonuses? Total contract terms?

if he wants an opt out after a 80m guarantee he can pound sand. I hope that isn't what the problem is but im skeptical

badnews

Use Your Illusion
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
I have to say it -

This thread sucks and I know its the slow part of the year and ADs contract or lack of one will impact the team in many ways for a long time.
That said, its not an election, public opinion cant make anything happen, but we can divide ourselves.
I am already seeing plenty of posts of pure conjecture, fans blaming Donald or the team, choosing sides as if there is a line in the sand - the tribalism in our country is pervasive and we dont even recognize it when we are taking part.
So, for the record: regarding Donalds contract dispute, I am firmly on the side of "what happens will happen whether I like it or not".
I dont know how this process has went behind the scenes and neither do any of you (most likely).
I dont know how it will play out, I dont know which scenario is best for the team and again, no one else on here does either.

When there are some actually meaningful updates to this, I look forward to reading about them. Until then I will continue to mostly avoid this thread.

I dont have any issue with others finding this topic interesting and worthy of endless discussion but I don't and I dont have any interest in taking sides.
Go Donald, Go Rams, Go ROD.

Carry on folks, but do watch out for the pitfalls that can cause us to take sides on things we can't control.

Dieter the Brock

Fourth responder
Before i read all the posts can anyone tell me if Khalil Mack has signed his extension yet?

Cause until Mack signs there is nothing to look at here.

These two guys are the dominos that have to fall in order to set up the market for the next 20 years. We aren't the only team caught up in this logjam - the only difference is we have the best player in the entire 2014 Draft - which is a blessing

Let us look at the logjam list to remind everyone that we aren't the only ones waiting for the shoe to drop:

2014 picks

Taylor Lewan
- not extended- not in camp
Clowney - not extended - fo optimistic
Anthony Barr - not extended "it not on me it's on them"
Mike Evans - signs biggest contract in WR history
Zack Martin - signs biggest contract at OG ever
Derek Carr - signs highest paid player in NFL

I mean if you can't see this list and understand what's going on then it'll be tough trying to dissuade anyone that it isn't personal and that this deal will get done in time and on time and 99 will be a Ram for life

His contract situation isn't personal - it's not an affront to the team or the fans - it's just a numbers game. Mack and Donald are gonna break the bank and it's a waiting game Yo

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
When there are some actually meaningful updates to this, I look forward to reading about them. Until then I will continue to mostly avoid this thread.
I try, but every time I see it in bold I am hoping it is new news and have to see what was said...
I find the sides comical since we have literally no idea what was offered

badnews

Use Your Illusion
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
I try, but every time I see it in bold I am hoping it is new news and have to see what was said...

Me too, thats why I dont like the thread because I have to check it but its always the same thing and feels like its been going on for over a year...

Oh. Right...

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
I have to say it -

This thread sucks and I know its the slow part of the year and ADs contract or lack of one will impact the team in many ways for a long time.
That said, its not an election, public opinion cant make anything happen, but we can divide ourselves.
I am already seeing plenty of posts of pure conjecture, fans blaming Donald or the team, choosing sides as if there is a line in the sand - the tribalism in our country is pervasive and we dont even recognize it when we are taking part.
So, for the record: regarding Donalds contract dispute, I am firmly on the side of "what happens will happen whether I like it or not".
I dont know how this process has went behind the scenes and neither do any of you (most likely).
I dont know how it will play out, I dont know which scenario is best for the team and again, no one else on here does either.

I dont have any issue with others finding this topic interesting and worthy of endless discussion but I don't and I dont have any interest in taking sides.
Go Donald, Go Rams, Go ROD.

Carry on folks, but do watch out for the pitfalls that can cause us to take sides on things we can't control.

Demoff came out with his so called update. Donald is showing his workouts.
Training camp is getting near.
The Rams have Aaron Donald under contract.
The Rams are also in control because they can franchise him.

How The contract is going is face value from Kevin Demoff.

—The nice part of it is Aaron Donald knows the defense this year & also a relationship with Sean McVay.

Ram65

Legend
Before i read all the posts can anyone tell me if Khalil Mack has signed his extension yet?

Cause until Mack signs there is nothing to look at here.

A number of pages back IIRC guesses on Mack were that he could wait for Donald as he is getting around double the amount of Donald this year. That seemed to make sense. Also the one video talking head guess that this is summer break and talks won't really start till around training camp.

ReekofRams

Hall of Fame
Name
Reek
  • I've waited long enough. I'm tired of reading about the fear that some members here on this site has when it comes to the signing of Aaron Donald. I'm also tired of those who not only want to read all the words in between the lines, but also want to put words into the nothing that is said.
Everyone put away the tea leaves. We know nothing more than we did a year ago. The only thing we do know is that sooner or later Aaron Donald will sign a contract that will keep him on the Rams for several years.

How do we know that? I'm glad you asked.
First, have the Rams complained at all about Aaron not signing a contract yet, something that other teams do often about their players? No. Rather the Rams have gone out of their way to respect AD and trust the process, as McVay often states.
Second, has AD or his agent said or stated any animosity or anger towards the Rams, like many players do when trying to negotiate a new contract? No. Instead they've chosen to be quiet and patient with their current time table they have agreed to with the Rams.
Third, have you heard of any trade demands coming from Aaron or his agent, as happens many times in these type of discussions? No. Why not? Because Aaron apparently wants to be a RAM!

So let's all relax Aaron and McVay have a good relationship, everyone is friends, nothing earth shattering is happening, they're being patient, so we need need to be patient also.

That's my two cents worth. And yes due to inflation I can charge that much.
Now I bequeath my permission to you all to continue in your zombie mode of mindless debating and opinionating.

ScotsRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Niall

He was never going to get a new deal last year because the team had absolutely no reason to give him one. Therefore holding out was irrational, had no benefit and was the product of bad advice. IMO of course.

drasconis

Starter
Name
JA
if he wants an opt out after a 80m guarantee he can pound sand. I hope that isn't what the problem is but im skeptical

I doubt that an opt out clause is considered reasonable by anyone, but I could see some sort of escalator or bonus based upon a major change to the salary cap especially based upon the new players contract coming in the next few years. That could be a painful negotiation figuring out how that is set up....

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
He was never going to get a new deal last year because the team had absolutely no reason to give him one. Therefore holding out was irrational, had no benefit and was the product of bad advice. IMO of course.

Did he lose money ? The Rams gave him the money he lost for missing camp.

The Rams still have control.

Status
Not open for further replies.