Aaron Donald’s contract situation

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.
Status
Not open for further replies.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
I was going to tell you we PMed about it and we're good, but it looks like you're happy anyway.
Good to know. I don't like to jump in but it was starting to feel like I was a kid watching my divorced parents fight.

Well anyway.... moving on. Cheers.

1maGoh

Hall of Fame
Good to know. I don't like to jump in but it was starting to feel like I was a kid watching my divorced parents fight.

Well anyway.... moving on. Cheers.
Hey, that's where I learned to argue. Well, not your divorced parents, mine.

dang

Legend
[QUOTE="1maGoh, post: 1078148, member: 937" I would definitely go with number 2. If the Rams don't "pay the man" then I will call Bull-#2.
So if Donald only wants to be locked in for 3 years - then it seems the Rams would be financially better off with option 2 (retaining his premium services for 3 more yrs) or trading him for a bounty of riches from the highest bidder.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
Agreed everything is speculation at this point and probably cannot expect a verdict any earlier than the Aug date when Donald would have to report in order to qualify to be classified as a UFA (vs RFA).

In the meantime what is the consensus - 1) sign Donald on his terms (making him very happy/motivated) or 2) hold firm and exercise 5th yr option + 2 years of franchise tag (and surely losing him after 3 yrs)?
The problem is that none of us know what "his terms" are or what we have offered. If it is true that he is holding out for an opt out clause, I'd say fuck that noise. He could lose millions and still not get one after three years.

By what I have heard in the recent past, the Rams plan on making him the richest defender in history. So are we talking $1 mil? $5 mil? in difference between the two sides? Is it the opt out clause getting in the way? Are the Rams balking at making a DT the richest defender in history? Are they sticking to the patsy model? Do they have the cash to pay all their core players AND AD? Do they value other positions higher than a DT - even an extremely rare DT like AD?

Who the hell knows. I think we all want him back but I personally want championships over ANY player. And if you have your DT and QB crippling your cap situation, something has got to give.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
Hey, that's where I learned to argue. Well, not your divorced parents, mine.
Ha! Mine aren't divorced but I've been around enough of my friends to know it when I see it.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
please don't put words into my mouth
What exactly does "pay the man" mean? Put words into your own mouth then. "Pay the man" what? If you're going to call bullshit on the Rams - you should have a basis for it.

12intheBox

Legend
Name
Wil Fay
tell me what the Rams final offer is and what you think is fair, then you have valid ammo to dismantle my opinion.

Let’s say the Rams have offered to pay him more than any defensive player has ever made in the history of the the game - which by the reporting we are getting - is highly likely.

It’s a salary cap league. If it were not, and it was just asking Stan to cough it up - I’d be all about “pay the man”. That’s not the case. Every extra dollar we give AD is another dollar we don’t have to fill out the squad, to extend Gurley, Goff, and the rest of the gang.

Is that ammo enough?

1maGoh

Hall of Fame
I love valid reports and valid numbers. Please share with the rest of us. I'll qualify my "pay the man" off of your "valid" numbers.
I can't speak for others, but when someone says "pay the man" I can't help but wonder "pay the man what?"

Technically speaking, they are already paying him. Mission accomplished.

If you mean negotiate a new deal, pay him what? $5? $250k? 100% of the salary cap? Pay him what?

Should they pay him anything he wants (you have already made it clear you didn't say that)? If he demands 40 million a year, should they negotiate down to 38 million?

I think people who aren't saying "pay the man" are really just saying "Pay the man... An amount that works for the team as a whole."

So? What does "pay the man" mean?

Name
George
Last edited:

1maGoh

Hall of Fame
you bring up some excellent theory concepts ... very valid.

btw ... I read the following somewhere today http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap30...rs-tom-brady-aaron-donald-should-head-top-100
You can attempt to mock me for "theory concepts" that you think aren't valid, but not saying anything isn't terribly valid either.

Throw out a ball park figure that you think is fair for him being the best defensive player in the league for the last couple of years. I'm willing to listen. You just haven't said anything meaning yet.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
you bring up some excellent theory concepts ... very valid.

btw ... I read the following somewhere today http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap30...rs-tom-brady-aaron-donald-should-head-top-100
Another "excellent" speculative piece designed to get clicks that is based on absolutely zero facts. Again you can speculate all you want. Throw around the "pay the man" silly comments that are regurgitated ad nauseum. Until we we hear something from AD or KD this is all just regurgitating speculation.

Name
George
You can attempt to mock me for

wasn't my intention

I just chose not to rehash the same argument that has been on the internet since before I was born. The only thing that has changed in the argument is the name of the player and name of the team.

your points are valid ... I've sang the same exact songs many times ... I just chose not to sing in the choir today.

Name
George
Another "excellent" speculative piece designed to get clicks that is based on absolutely zero facts. Again you can speculate all you want. Throw around the "pay the man" silly comments that are regurgitated ad nauseum. Until we we hear something from AD or KD this is all just regurgitating speculation.

I understand your point to mean that "Pay the Man" is a tongue in cheek cliché. I agree. Pay the man.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
tell me what the Rams final offer is and what you think is fair, then you have valid ammo to dismantle my opinion.
Yeah - not going to play this game with you. If you are going to call bullshit on the Rams you should have a basis. But it's clear you don't so fuck it. I'm done with this circle jerk.

Kevin

Pro Bowler
Donald turned 27 in May; do the Rams want to offer a six-year deal to him like Fletcher Cox got from the Eagles and pay him when he's in his thirties or release/trade him sooner and have dead money on the cap? I dunno, depends on how the contract is structured. Maybe Donald wants a shorter contract like 3 years so he can become a FA when he turns 30 and still get another big contract offer. Thing is, we don't know.

bubbaramfan

Legend
Camp Reporter
I'm still of the opinion AD and the Rams are in a ("wink, wink, nod nod") Orlando Pace type situation to keep him out of harms way during pre-season and TC.

Just sayin' because its been done before, with Pace and last season with AD.

But who knows. Both sides have been very careful not to let details out.

Status
Not open for further replies.