Aaron Donald’s contract situation

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
I'm preparing for life without Donald, and I love the guy.
I just keep remembering Kroenke wanting to build the franchise in the image of the Patriots, and believe the word has come down that "this" is our best and final offer, and that he and the Rams firm in this stance.
First rule of negotiation - be prepared to walk away.
Personally, I think $2oM for 5 or 6 years, with $60-70 guaranteed is plenty, even a bit much, as I KEEP looking at Watt's deal.
Add to that (me) wanting cash for Saffold, Peters, Joyner, Cooks, Gurley and Havenstein, (plus draft picks we could pick up), just not all in on keeping him no matter what.

Agree. Considering his 2019 Franchise Tag cost is likely less expensive than his salary demand, it's kind of a no-brainer. jmo.

1maGoh

Hall of Fame
If that's the same conversation to you, you need to take a reading comprehension course
My issue was with the article posted, that the author of the article made an accusation without foundation.
Sorry that's too complicated for you to follow
It's all guesses and assumptions without knowledge. I can see the accusation angle, but it's not like what he said is controversial, negative, or far fetched.

You seem to be trying to stifle discussion because we don't know what's really happening. Well, we don't know what's really happening with anything about the team.

And if you're serious about the reading comprehension thing, that's the first time I've ever been told that (when someone was serious) in my life. I'm actually mildly offended, but I won't hold it against you.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
That's an interesting take.

Those articles are not what I remember reading last year, but it does have a reference to someone knowing that the Rams made a strong offer. If the Rams were making crap offers, that would be out on the news already. Do you think the Rams are offering him minimum salary and a 12 pack of Coors Light?

The only way this negotiation could have a chance of staying as quiet as it has is under two conditions:

1. The Rams are making offers
2. Those offers are high quality and it would embarrass Donald if he turned them down

The Rams don't want to make him look bad, so they don't say anything. Donald doesn't want to look bad, so he doesn't say anything.

If they weren't making offers, it would be out already. If they were making below market offers, it would be out because it would help Donald's agent. The Rams would lose face in front of every other player and agent in America. That's a gold mine that Donald's agent wouldn't pass up.

The only other alternative is that the Rams are offering fair-enough deals and Donald is turning them down.

I see you nay saying a lot, but you aren't putting anything into the conversation. You just keep coming on and saying no. Offer a viable alternative, please.
It’s hearsay! Neither AD nor the Rams are negotiating in the media and it’s driving people to make assumptions and worry about it. You can quote every article ever written about the subject and it won’t change a thing. Until we hear a quote from AD or KD it’s all guess work designed to get clicks. So by all means, speculate, insinuate and estimate all you want, it’s all just wasting time right now. There’s nothing to worry about!

1maGoh

Hall of Fame
It’s hearsay! Neither AD nor the Rams are negotiating in the media and it’s driving people to make assumptions and worry about it. You can quote every article ever written about the subject and it won’t change a thing. Until we hear a quote from AD or KD it’s all guess work designed to get clicks. So by all means, speculate, insinuate and estimate all you want, it’s all just wasting time right now. There’s nothing to worry about!
It is all insinuation, guesswork, speculation, and estimation right now. But it's an interesting topic and it's fun. Also, pretty much everything else we talk about here is insinuation, guesswork, speculation, and estimation. This place would be boring if we could only discuss known facts.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
It's all guesses and assumptions without knowledge. I can see the accusation angle, but it's not like what he said is controversial, negative, or far fetched.

You seem to be trying to stifle discussion because we don't know what's really happening. Well, we don't know what's really happening with anything about the team.

And if you're serious about the reading comprehension thing, that's the first time I've ever been told that (when someone was serious) in my life. I'm actually mildly offended, but I won't hold it against you.
I was being an ahole with my response and I apologize.
We’re all fans of the same team. I just was mad at the article, not at anyone’s opinion
I’m done here

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
I'm preparing for life without Donald, and I love the guy.
I just keep remembering Kroenke wanting to build the franchise in the image of the Patriots, and believe the word has come down that "this" is our best and final offer, and that he and the Rams firm in this stance.
First rule of negotiation - be prepared to walk away.
Personally, I think $2oM for 5 or 6 years, with $60-70 guaranteed is plenty, even a bit much, as I KEEP looking at Watt's deal.
Add to that (me) wanting cash for Saffold, Peters, Joyner, Cooks, Gurley and Havenstein, (plus draft picks we could pick up), just not all in on keeping him no matter what.

Agreed and I have been for a while now tbh. Story sounds suspiciously similar to last year. We have no idea what's going on, other than the fact that the Rams cleared cap space for his contract and it's still not done.

Also, if I were the Rams right now, I would not waive his $80K daily fee for this camp. He'd pay it if he's not here. I think they are entering that window where use of leverage has to happen.

Farr Be It

Hall of Fame
Hell yeah they could let him go. $22M for the next 4+ years can cover a lot of team salary.

We could sign a BUNCH of average players for $22mil. (n)

There was a report last year that said the Rams already offered him a contract to make him the highest paid defensive player in NFL history. He turned it down.
It doesn’t make sense, in a league where he may play 10-12 years TOPS, to play another year for less that 7 million, when you are being offered at or close to 20 million. Say you bypass 12 million THIS YEAR in increased salary, and the asking gap is 2 million/year. That is six years x 2 million on potential maximum career salary.

Factor in injury potential, and the fact that the Rams “own” your rights potentially for 3 more years. Donald has Zero leverage. He is receiving horrible advice if he is getting any offer close to 20 million, and 4 years, with 60+ million guaranteed.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
But you are a bookie savant. The "plenty of us"folks had Jersey accents, crooked noses, and hung out at the Bada Bing Topless joint between "jobs.":double:

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
If that's the same conversation to you, you need to take a reading comprehension course
My issue was with the article posted, that the author of the article made an accusation without foundation.
Sorry that's too complicated for you to follow
Alright... knock this shit off.

dang

Legend
Agreed everything is speculation at this point and probably cannot expect a verdict any earlier than the Aug date when Donald would have to report in order to qualify to be classified as a UFA (vs RFA).

In the meantime what is the consensus - 1) sign Donald on his terms (making him very happy/motivated) or 2) hold firm and exercise 5th yr option + 2 years of franchise tag (and surely losing him after 3 yrs)?

12intheBox

Legend
Name
Wil Fay
It looks like this'n will come down to a staring contest - which isn't great for either side, but is understandable from both sides.

I want AD to get paid - I want him in horns. I also want the Rams to be able to lock up as many core players as they can. To that extent - I'm rooting for the Rams here.

The Rams can afford to let AD hold out. They can open the season without him - they will be missing their best player but they can still win.

Can AD99 afford to miss game checks? I mean - yes, of course he can AFFORD to - but will he turn down becoming the highest paid defensive player ever and give up actual games in his prime for more money? The NFLPA will be pressuring him to make sure he maximizes his contract, other agents will pressure his agent not to let him fold, but in the end, AD makes the call.

There is no reason for either side to blink now, or when camp starts, or when pre season games start. This one will come down to the wire - and AD may just miss a game or two. My opinion is its worth it if he misses the first quarter of the season to not wreck the cap plan. This team has a shot at being good for a long time.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

i miss players like kurt warner so much. was the league mvp and superbowl mvp on a contract for peanuts. still came in everyday to practice with the team, said the contract will take care of itself, didn't try to become the highest paid qb in the league, just wanted a fair deal that worked for both sides.

now it's all me, me, me.

1maGoh

Hall of Fame
Agreed everything is speculation at this point and probably cannot expect a verdict any earlier than the Aug date when Donald would have to report in order to qualify to be classified as a UFA (vs RFA).

In the meantime what is the consensus - 1) sign Donald on his terms (making him very happy/motivated) or 2) hold firm and exercise 5th yr option + 2 years of franchise tag (and surely losing him after 3 yrs)?
If he won't be reasonable I would definitely go with number 2. He'll be 30 at that point, although probably still producing at a high level.

Name
George
[QUOTE="1maGoh, post: 1078148, member: 937" I would definitely go with number 2.[/QUOTE] If the Rams don't "pay the man" then I will call Bull-#2.

Status
Not open for further replies.