Aaron Donald’s contract situation

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.
Status
Not open for further replies.

1maGoh

Hall of Fame
I recall a guy who showed up in impeccable shape,
That's in his best interest for getting a new contract. It may or may not have anything to do with a "we not me" attitude.

who was a dominant force
That's in his best interest for getting a new contract. It may or may not have anything to do with a "we not me" attitude.

who was a dominant force by week 3,
Week 3 is 2 games too late.

who gave 110% on the field for us, who dominated the playoff game against the Falcons, and who won Defensive Player of the Year.

I also recall the Rams promising to get a deal done with him before this season after he reported last year.
The Rams can't force him to sign a contract. I'm sure if they could they would have had a deal by last year before the season. Without knowing any details of the negotiations, we can't blame anyone definitively.

tempests

Hall of Fame

Aaron being as dominant as he is has to do with his own intense work ethic and inner drive for greatness. That would remain unchanged whether there was a new contract on the line or not.

RamWoodie

Legend
This stuff kinda reminds me of the Eric Dickerson saga...a great player who kept holding the team hostage.

My thoughts are this:

Donald is no dummy. he knows how good he is but I don't think he plans to play much longer. He probably wants his contract front loaded with guaranteed cash in case he gets hurt...ala JJ Watts.

Reasonableness works for both sides folks!

Ram_Rally

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Demoff is better than me because that preview of the defense today would've had me salivating to see Donald included .They're the real deal.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Aaron being as dominant as he is has to do with his own intense work ethic and inner drive for greatness. That would remain unchanged whether there was a new contract on the line or not.

Yep. He has been dominant and a fixture in our lineup since Day 1 of his rookie year. The guy has missed a grand total of ONE game in his entire career (not counting Week 17 last year), which was the game he missed due to the holdout. This is a guy who works as hard as anybody in the NFL. This is a guy who plays every down like it's his last. This is a guy who is available and busting his ass for us week in and week out. This is a guy who has earned a monster contract. People can call him a "me-first" player. That's their right. And it's my right to lose any respect for their opinion that I once had.

1maGoh

Hall of Fame
I didn't say it wasn't and I wasn't trying to imply it wasn't because he had intended with ethic if his own. I was merely pointing out that him working his ass off might not have anything to do with bring a team first guy. It's entirely possible he was dominant last year because that's just who he is and/or that's what's best for him in negotiationing a new contract.

If he came in and sucked because he was mailing it in then negotiations would be harder for his side. Probably not much, but he wouldn't have been able to point to actual play in the actual defense they want him to play in as a sign that he deserves the new mega big contract. By working hard and still kicking ass as usual, he can say he still dominates in this defense and still deserves the ultra super big
contract.

That was my only point.

Well, that and being dominant by week 3 (jrry's point, not mine) is 2 weeks too late. I feel like that's a fair assessment. Is it ok for everyone to miss game 1, play below their ability game 2, and finally show up ready in game 3, or is that something special just for Aaron Donald? And if it's not ok for everyone (that's the "we" in "we not me") then why is it ok for one player (the "me")?

I'm not trying to say he's a bad guy or even that he's selfish. Showing up when he did last season appears to be, from the outside, an isolated act that doesn't fit the "we not me" mantra. Everything else he did last season could have been out of good, neutral, or selfish motivations. We'll never actually know, as much as we would like to guess or assume.

Akrasian

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Take a look at their contracts. Compare it to the rest of the market. It's quite clear.

So what was Goff's new contract that was so "me not we"? Oh wait, that's a fantasy. He can't have a new contract until after this year. You're making it up.

Let's look at Gurley - best player on the team last year, second in league MVP voting. He chose to honor his rookie contract. He did want a record contract. The Rams gave him one - that starts in two seasons. Not a QB equivalent contract in a league where the QB is by far the most important player, but a huge contract for his position. And again, that starts in two seasons, where the cap will have risen. But yes, Gurley got what I call a "grandchildren" contract. If he's not foolish, he can live in luxury AND he will be able to pay his grandkids way through college and professional school. He should be able to help them all with home down payments, or downpayments for businesses. Good for him.

Donald, who was NOT MVP of the team, is supposedly holding out to be paid like he's a good QB - a far more valuable position than he plays. He is not particularly willing to honor his contract - though if he hadn't been worth the contract, I see no evidence that he would have paid back part of his bonus. Now, he shouldn't expect to pay that back - but rookie contracts are set up so that players get a lot of money, but so that on average they are underpaid. That is part of what makes second contracts so large - they go to players who deserve it. If you want extra money early, normally you sacrifice something to get it. Gurley knows that he might have gotten more money if he had waited - but he traded that for the guarantee. AD seemingly wants the best of both worlds - guarantees, and max money now. More money now than actually makes sense, imo, given the salary cap and his position.

We don't know about Cooks - though he doesn't particularly support your position. Gurley got a lot of money, but honored his contract, and the money is set up in a team friendly way. What evidence do you have that AD wants the money in a team friendly way? Or are you making that up, like you made up Goff's extension?

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
So what was Goff's new contract that was so "me not we"? Oh wait, that's a fantasy. He can't have a new contract until after this year. You're making it up.

I am sure Goff will get a massive extension.

tenor.gif

Akrasian

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
None of them live up to your "we not me" definition because they didn't take less money to benefit the team.

You said that all of them didn't take less money to benefit the team. Your words, not mine. Shame you don't stand by what you post.

In any case - by far the most relevant example is Gurley - who despite being more valuable than Donald, very clearly did work out a team friendly contract, unlike Donald. I have no doubt given what the Rams have done this offseason, that if Donald were a we not me player interested in a large contract but willing to work in a team friendly way he would have a contract already, and would be working in camp to fit in with all his new teammates. Instead, the reports indicate that he wants more than 20% higher than any other non-QB - even though he's not even the most valuable non-QB on the team.

Picked4td

Pro Bowler
I’m sorry but the we not me slogan doesn’t extend to contracts. I doubt any coach would consider a player to be selfish or not a team player because they are trying to maximize their earnings. In fact, if anything is bet the would encourage their players to fight for what they feel they are worth

Akrasian

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I’m sorry but the we not me slogan doesn’t extend to contracts. I doubt any coach would consider a player to be selfish or not a team player because they are trying to maximize their earnings. In fact, if anything is bet the would encourage their players to fight for what they feel they are worth

So coaches would encourage players to report for their physical too late to play in the opening day game?

Yeah, not in the real world. Wanting players to be paid fairly is one thing. Wanting players to get a game check without them actually intending to play in the game is another thing. Wanting players to not honor their contracts is another thing, too.

Picked4td

Pro Bowler
1. I feel like Donald intended on playing when he showed up late but he held out a little to long in the long game of chicken. Either way, he showed up before the game and was eligible to play. Sure there’s better ways this could have all played out but he’s trying to get the contract he deserves and sometimes it gets a little messy. Doesn’t make him a bad teammate

2. While I normally agree about players should honor their contracts, I don’t really extend that to players on rookie contracts cuz they have no say in their pay. That’s all decided by the Cba and draft positions and their only option is to sign it or not play

Status
Not open for further replies.