Aaron Donald’s contract situation

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Akrasian

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Akrasian, I have no interest in saying anything more. I don't respect the crap you're pulling here. With all Donald has done for this team, he doesn't deserve to have his name dragged through the mud and his character attacked. I see nothing wrong with his tactics, and you're not going to change my mind. It's quite clear where you stand, and I won't change your mind. Good night.

Funny thing is - I don't appreciate the shit Donald pulled at the end of his holdout in 2017. Reporting in time to get a game check, but too late to play, and too late to support his teammates. It made no difference to his holdout, but it was petulant and punished the team and his teammates. That's not a team player. Good night.

dang

Legend
I would love to know the internal battle that Donald is having internally between short term (is he missing his teammates/football, is he anxious about not yet being financially set for life) and long term (is he motivated by a record contract or does he want to blow that record off the map, how much does the flexibility with his next/final big contract come into play).

I would also think as competitive as he is - he has to be wondering what could have been last year. He missed week1, wasn't fully geared up until week 3 and was held out of week 17. Which means he accomplished a hell of a lot in the 13 games that he was primed and fully engaged. If he loves football as much as he appears to - he has to be itching to get this thing done - and at the same time having an opportunity of setting up the Donald family for success literally FOREVER.

PressureD41

Les Snead's Draft Advisor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Eddy
We're certainly not paying two All Pro caliber players on the DL. An All Pro caliber pass rusher is asking for similar money to Donald. So are we just going to forsake our pass rush?

If you're asking me to choose, I let Joyner, Saffold, and NRC walk to pay Donald. I think replacing guys like that is a lot easier than replacing Donald.

The way our cap is going I bet we will walk away from Joyner next season. Snead has proven to be able to find S's since being our GM. Its one of his scouting strengths. Don't get me wrong I love me some Joyner but not at his price tag. M. Peters is the big ticket "we" need to keep.
Were going to have 2-3rd rders Snead will solve that problem w/ ease! JMO

PressureD41

Les Snead's Draft Advisor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Eddy
e5ca00bc-8aee-4b9e-bbb3-fd31b60df279.jpg

This prick hasn't been hitting the gym at all, fuck us we are all domed :rolllaugh::deadhorse:

Fellas this is Reggie White Part 2 possibly, so pay the man! End of Story. Besides he's signing "this week" So
R-E-L-A-X

Akrasian

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
The way our cap is going I bet we will walk away from Joyner next season. Snead has proven to be able to find S's since being our GM. Its one of his scouting strengths. Don't get me wrong I love me some Joyner but not at his price tag. M. Peters is the big ticket "we" need to keep.

I don't expect Joyner to be resigned - but he'll be a loss. FWIW, I expect the Rams to have 3-3rd rounders - their own, plus two comp picks. But I sort of expect one to be used on a QB, and there will be a lot of other positions the Rams will want to be developing players at, so which positions they are used for will depend on where the value happens to fall.

Merlin

Damn the torpedoes
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member

Supply and demand so yeah. Safeties right now are not in a good place. Rams will let him walk and replace him in the draft. I think when he turned his nose up at the Rams' offer that pretty much determined the two sides would go their separate ways. Rams just weren't ready to let him walk this year.

ReekofRams

Hall of Fame
Name
Reek
Supply and demand so yeah. Safeties right now are not in a good place. Rams will let him walk and replace him in the draft. I think when he turned his nose up at the Rams' offer that pretty much determined the two sides would go their separate ways. Rams just weren't ready to let him walk this year.
What offer? Did I miss the boat again.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Didn’t AD show up around Week 4 of preseason last year? He better sign right friggin now! *taps foot...

12intheBox

Legend
Name
Wil Fay
He isn't going to just "show up" this year until there is a new deal. A new deal will come - just likely not until both sides have sniffed the panic of the ticking clock. We should all expect this to bleed into the season - thats just the likelihood at this point.

But even then, I suggest we relax and let the leverage being to do its thing. AD's side will crack - it will have to.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
He isn't going to just "show up" this year until there is a new deal. A new deal will come - just likely not until both sides have sniffed the panic of the ticking clock. We should all expect this to bleed into the season - thats just the likelihood at this point.

But even then, I suggest we relax and let the leverage being to do its thing. AD's side will crack - it will have to.
HE doesn’t know who I am. *Picks up the phone...”

Kevin

Pro Bowler
Well, Gurley is guaranteed a bunch of money. He's safe. Suh is gone - the Rams won't have enough to sign him and Donald. But there are others who would be gone with signing Donald to that huge contract.

Looking at Spotrac, with Havenstein's contract the Rams will have about $41 million in cap space available. If Donald signs a contract and has a cap hit of $24 million, as many speculate, that would leave $17 million. "But wait" some will say, "it can be backloaded". Well if Donald agrees. And keep in mind that in 2020 Goff's cap hit will likely be around $25 million, and likely over $30 million in 2021 the way QB contracts are going. (5th year rookie contract tenders are priced as if they are transition tags. In 2018 for QBs that would be $20.9 million - but there was a number of very large QB contracts handed out this past offseason, and Aaron Rodgers will get an even bigger contract soon - so this number is going to skyrocket for 2019, and be even higher in 2020.) So there isn't really a lot of room for backloading. Oh, and add in Gurley's extension, which starts in 2020. So no, backloading will not be a savior.

If Donald's cap hit is $24 million, then again, that would leave the Rams with $17 million or so available (keep in mind that Spotrac is already assuming a cap increase of over $10 million, btw). Now, the Rams will need to replace one of their starting cornerbacks, a backup cornerback, their star free safety, Suh, an All Pro 2nd string guard in Saffold, their other starting guard, various backups - oh, and I suspect they will want to get a veteran backup QB. Mannion is a free agent, and will be more expensive. Allen is less than inspiring. I expect them to sign a vet backup and draft someone too. They also have holes in places like OLB and TE. Plus, of course, various backups needed. A few of the holes will be filled from within - but not all of them, and if the best backups are moved to starter, other backups will be needed. Not everybody who is cheap will work out, so the Rams will need some money for late signings. In addition, every late round draft pick and desirable UDFA will have signing bonuses - if they don't make the team, that money will count for 2019 - not necessarily a fortune, but it has to be counted too, and likely close to a million. And the practice squad costs over a million in cap space too.

Maybe the Rams can go cheap and fill all the holes - but more likely some players just won't work out. Oh, and injury replacements count against the cap too, as do players on IR. Oh, and players on the practice squad.

I want you to demonstrate with all this showing that money would be very tight, that the Rams would actually have cap space to use more than cheap rookies to fill holes. Given what cornerbacks cost, unless they use a high pick they are unlikely to replace Talib (and high picks have large cap hits). Suh won't be replaced - again, unless they use a high pick and get lucky. It will be hard to have a quality OL with this cap space. Unless they use a high draft pick and get lucky - but they only have one first after all. Free safety is likely to decline. Basically, by this point, you need to show that with signing AD to a mega contract the Rams won't likely have multiple holes they really won't be able to fill, or you are just being foolishly optimistic.
You think I'm foolish? I think you are ignorant and not capable of grasping moderately complicated situations like this.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Meanwhile (on the positive side) while AD remains in Pittsburgh @ home, he leaves a large opening @ the 3 tech DL post for other present Rams DL'ers additional time to showcase their skills & talents plus prove their future worth to Wade & DL coach Johnson.

Several of the DL'er who have some amount of type skills for the 3 tech post like youngster Tanzel Smart, McCoy Murphy, Lord Hyemamg & Jarrod Clements ( here's some negative stuff) have not flashed or shinned.So it appears there's not much to hope for here but Lord Hyemang has not got many snaps either. So based on what I have seen thus far Rams have not gained anything here with those DL'ers.

{Some more negative stuff to add here} The Rams best two newcomers into the DL are NT Sebastian Joseph-Day & (4 tech/5 tech) DE/OLB'er John Franklin Myers...however they appear to not possess the needed 3 tech type skills at this time.

Now to get to the positives ;) Wade/Johnson do have two young vets who will be non starters( if AD were here) ,who do have what it takes to be an effective replacement for the vacancy @ this post. vet's Ethan Westbrooks & Dom Easley. In addition both starters NT Ndamukong Suh & DE Michael Brockers have lined up in the 3 tech & played in the NFL very successfully. Just so happens Westbrooks & Easley have played & started in the NFL @ Suh & Brockers assigned posts. In addition rookie John Franklin-Myers & Sebastian Joseph-Day stand @ the moment to make this 53 player roster & figure into Rams future plans.

Those 6 DL'ers mentioned above IMO have the ability to hold down Wade's 3 man Defensive Front if need be hold off any major disaster if AD does not return for what ever reason. In addition Snead has brought in 8 ER/DE/OLB'er tweeners { Longacre, Ebukam, Price, Davis, Okonorkwo, Young, Lawler & Womac } into this 2018 roster to be mixed in with the main six DL'ers in passing downs to provide the needed numbers to be competitive.

Last edited:

Akrasian

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
You think I'm foolish? I think you are ignorant and not capable of grasping moderately complicated situations like this.

Your post, that I was responding to.

This is a false choice. we do not have to choose between Donald and Suh/Gurley. Actually look at the cap room the team has and then demonstrate that the Rams have to make the choice you are presenting, otherwise you are just presenting and emotional, baseless premise.

You know, where you "argue" that if somebody disagrees with you, they should either present facts or they are "emotional" and offering a baseless premise.

So in good detail I explained the cap situation, the limited space, some of the future cap hits that the team is facing, the free agents that will need to be replaced and the difficulty in replacing them quickly through the draft. Rather than address points as you demanded people do for you, you ignore the points entirely.

Shame. Other posters have at least tried to address it, not just hand wave away the cap issues. If you are willing to address issues, great. So far you have not. Presumably because you cannot, but still want to fantasize that signing AD to a mega contract will not create significant cap issues. But please - actually address the cap limitations.

pmil66

Starter
Name
pmil
Your post, that I was responding to.

You know, where you "argue" that if somebody disagrees with you, they should either present facts or they are "emotional" and offering a baseless premise.

So in good detail I explained the cap situation, the limited space, some of the future cap hits that the team is facing, the free agents that will need to be replaced and the difficulty in replacing them quickly through the draft. Rather than address points as you demanded people do for you, you ignore the points entirely.

Shame. Other posters have at least tried to address it, not just hand wave away the cap issues. If you are willing to address issues, great. So far you have not. Presumably because you cannot, but still want to fantasize that signing AD to a mega contract will not create significant cap issues. But please - actually address the cap limitations.

I will try to address the Cap.

Rams can cut Barron after this season, adding an additional 7 million to the cap. See a couple of potential replacements on the roster currently in Wilson and/or Scales. Going into the offseason will 25 million in cap space, Donald signed, I would take that

Another help with the cap, will be the next draft. Over the past 3 drafts, the Rams have picked 5 players in the top 100 in Goff, Everett, Kupp, Johnson & Noteboom. In 2019, the Rams will have 4 picks in the top 100. That will be an excellent opportunity to address roster shortfalls with lower cost help And considering the above 5, im very optimistic the Rams will.

Akrasian

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I will try to address the Cap.

Rams can cut Barron after this season, adding an additional 7 million to the cap. See a couple of potential replacements on the roster currently in Wilson and/or Scales. Going into the offseason will 25 million in cap space, Donald signed, I would take that

Another help with the cap, will be the next draft. Over the past 3 drafts, the Rams have picked 5 players in the top 100 in Goff, Everett, Kupp, Johnson & Noteboom. In 2019, the Rams will have 4 picks in the top 100. That will be an excellent opportunity to address roster shortfalls with lower cost help And considering the above 5, im very optimistic the Rams will.

I've thought about cutting Barron. Supposedly Wade is a big fan of him. I'm not sure he is that easily replaced from within. Even if it is, it does create another hole in the backups, at least. And the Rams' least experienced position would be even less experienced.

I'd like the draft to be productive. I doubt every pick will be as productive as the past two drafts. For instance, Everett really hasn't been that productive yet for the Rams. Picks often take a year or two to produce, if they ever do. Relying on every pick - or nearly every pick - hitting on a team with a bunch of expensive players is risking wasting prime years. But I can see why you might be optimistic.

RamBall

Legend
Camp Reporter
Name
Dave
Hopefully AD will feel like he is missing out on the fun after seeing the starters on D today.

Status
Not open for further replies.