Aaron Donald’s contract situation

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Akrasian

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
1. I feel like Donald intended on playing when he showed up late but he held out a little to long in the long game of chicken. Either way, he showed up before the game and was eligible to play.

There were reports early in the week that he was coming in. He chose to wait - despite there being all new coaches, with a new defensive system, signals, oh - and he was actually playing a new position. And showed up for his physical the day before the game - when, you know, the coaches were too busy to spend time getting him up to speed. I'm not impressed.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
You said that all of them didn't take less money to benefit the team. Your words, not mine. Shame you don't stand by what you post.

In any case - by far the most relevant example is Gurley - who despite being more valuable than Donald, very clearly did work out a team friendly contract, unlike Donald. I have no doubt given what the Rams have done this offseason, that if Donald were a we not me player interested in a large contract but willing to work in a team friendly way he would have a contract already, and would be working in camp to fit in with all his new teammates. Instead, the reports indicate that he wants more than 20% higher than any other non-QB - even though he's not even the most valuable non-QB on the team.
So Gurley being the 2nd highest paid running back behind only Bell on his 2nd franchise tag is a team friendly deal? Lets not mistake that his extension was 4 years $57 million for a $14.25 aav. The next closest back after him is a whopping $6 million aav behind. Team friendly? I think your definition is off his new money makes him anything but a team friendly deal. Now if you want to make your self feel better with the money he was already signed for being added to his extension then sure he's still the highest paid back aside from Bell.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
So Gurley being the 2nd highest paid running back behind only Bell on his 2nd franchise tag is a team friendly deal? Lets not mistake that his extension was 4 years $57 million for a $14.25 aav. The next closest back after him is a whopping $6 million aav behind. Team friendly? I think your definition is off his new money makes him anything but a team friendly deal. Now if you want to make your self feel better with the money he was already signed for being added to his extension then sure he's still the highest paid back aside from Bell.
Funny how that works. Gurley being pictured as unselfish for signing a friendly deal is hysterical

Akrasian

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
So Gurley being the 2nd highest paid running back behind only Bell on his 2nd franchise tag is a team friendly deal? Let's not mistake that his extension was 4 years $57 million for a $14.25 aav. The next closest back after him is a whopping $6 million AAV behind. Team friendly? I think your definition is off his new money makes him anything but a team friendly deal. Now if you want to make your self feel better with the money he was already signed for being added to his extension then sure he's still the highest paid back aside from Bell.

Well, by his actual value to the team, yes his deal is team friendly. He was the most valuable player on the team last year, 2nd in the league for MVP (and should have won it). He was willing to keep playing the contract he signed. If his extension kicked in this season he would still be getting less than 8% of the cap, which is a sustainable percentage historically though a lot. But by the time the extension actually kicks in, it will be about 7% and declining rapidly as a percentage of cap. Not bad for the most valuable player on the team, and a contract that doesn't cripple the team. He gets paid, but in a way the team can live with given his value. AD who wasn't the most valuable player on the team, wants a lot more - the figures being tossed around are 47% to 68% more. Basically, it will cripple the team's cap - especially since league rules make it very difficult for defenders to be as valuable as key offensive players especially QBs of course. And the rule changes are just getting more extreme. The new helmet rules will again decrease the value of defense compared to offense. Given his actual value to the team, Gurley's contract is team friendly, and he was willing to work with the team to have it hit several years out. Donald, otoh, is willing to sit out games, and in a league where rule changes is reducing value of defense relative to offense, wants to be paid as if he were a good player at a far more valuable position.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Listened to Alex Marvezthis morning, and he believes that AD will sign and be in camp in the next 10 days. He feels that Donald will say enough is enough, especially when he knows the gtd money will be too tempting to hold out (60 plus million). We’l see. Marvel has always seemed pretty level headed to me.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Well, by his actual value to the team, yes his deal is team friendly. He was the most valuable player on the team last year, 2nd in the league for MVP (and should have won it). He was willing to keep playing the contract he signed. If his extension kicked in this season he would still be getting less than 8% of the cap, which is a sustainable percentage historically though a lot. But by the time the extension actually kicks in, it will be about 7% and declining rapidly as a percentage of cap. Not bad for the most valuable player on the team, and a contract that doesn't cripple the team. He gets paid, but in a way the team can live with given his value. AD who wasn't the most valuable player on the team, wants a lot more - the figures being tossed around are 47% to 68% more. Basically, it will cripple the team's cap - especially since league rules make it very difficult for defenders to be as valuable as key offensive players especially QBs of course. And the rule changes are just getting more extreme. The new helmet rules will again decrease the value of defense compared to offense. Given his actual value to the team, Gurley's contract is team friendly, and he was willing to work with the team to have it hit several years out. Donald, otoh, is willing to sit out games, and in a league where rule changes is reducing value of defense relative to offense, wants to be paid as if he were a good player at a far more valuable position.
So because he won some silverware being the highest paid person at his position. Got it, spin it however you want Gurley did not sign a team cap friendly deal sorry.

ReekofRams

Hall of Fame
Name
Reek
Listened to Alex Marvezthis morning, and he believes that AD will sign and be in camp in the next 10 days. He feels that Donald will say enough is enough, especially when he knows the gtd money will be too tempting to hold out (60 plus million). We’l see. Marvel has always seemed pretty level headed to me.
Oh how I remember the time when people thought I was level headed. Didn't last very long, but they were good times. Notice, no blue font.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
So because he won some silverware being the highest paid person at his position. Got it, spin it however you want Gurley did not sign a team cap friendly deal sorry.
Yes. If Aaron Donald won DPOY then he would deserve a contact too.
Oh, wait a minute

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Oh how I remember the time when people thought I was level headed. Didn't last very long, but they were good times. Notice, no blue font.
But that was back when you was the Pocatello Kid...

Akrasian

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

No, because of how his actual on the field performance helped the Rams win a lot more games than they would have otherwise. Players should be paid based on what they actually contribute to winning and making the team as good as possible. How else should they be paid?

Why on earth do some posters think AD should be paid $24 million per, if not for his actual contributions on the field? Why should Gurley not be paid accordingly? Why is that laughable? It's just that I realize that the actual value contributed is less than mid $20s, but rather $14-15 million in Gurley's case - and in Donald's case, though I realize because of precedent the Rams will foolishly pay more.

The thing is, thanks to the NFL rules having been slowly changed to favor the offense the past few decades, it is virtually impossible for a great defender to contribute as much to winning as a great offensive player. Heck, the new helmet rule just put in means that on at least some of what were clean QB hits last season by Donald, will now be personal fouls. People have been bitching about it - one of the implications will be to shift a little bit more value to the offense and away from defense, especially from rushers. Back in the '60s and '70s if they'd had a cap then maybe Donald would deserve to be paid a really high percentage of the cap - but that NFL is long gone. Of course, in that NFL you wouldn't have an issue with Gurley's pay either.

Getting back to the point, based on his actual contribution to team winning, Gurley's contract IS team friendly. I'm sorry you think that actual contribution to winning shouldn't affect why players are paid so much. It's just that Gurley is more than a running back - he's a great receiver - and because of that he contributes more to winning. Which I'd assumed was obvious.

Young Ram

Hall of Fame
No, because of how his actual on the field performance helped the Rams win a lot more games than they would have otherwise. Players should be paid based on what they actually contribute to winning and making the team as good as possible. How else should they be paid?

Why on earth do some posters think AD should be paid $24 million per, if not for his actual contributions on the field? Why should Gurley not be paid accordingly? Why is that laughable? It's just that I realize that the actual value contributed is less than mid $20s, but rather $14-15 million in Gurley's case - and in Donald's case, though I realize because of precedent the Rams will foolishly pay more.

The thing is, thanks to the NFL rules having been slowly changed to favor the offense the past few decades, it is virtually impossible for a great defender to contribute as much to winning as a great offensive player. Heck, the new helmet rule just put in means that on at least some of what were clean QB hits last season by Donald, will now be personal fouls. People have been bitching about it - one of the implications will be to shift a little bit more value to the offense and away from defense, especially from rushers. Back in the '60s and '70s if they'd had a cap then maybe Donald would deserve to be paid a really high percentage of the cap - but that NFL is long gone. Of course, in that NFL you wouldn't have an issue with Gurley's pay either.

Getting back to the point, based on his actual contribution to team winning, Gurley's contract IS team friendly. I'm sorry you think that actual contribution to winning shouldn't affect why players are paid so much. It's just that Gurley is more than a running back - he's a great receiver - and because of that he contributes more to winning. Which I'd assumed was obvious.

There’s a lot of variables that goes into player contracts.

Let’s see. Donald hasn’t missed a game due to injury. He has played at an all pro level since the first day he stepped on the field. He doesn’t need anybody else’s help to do his job.

Gurley has played good his rookie year, bad his second year, and all pro his 3rd year. He has missed games due to injury. Is also more susceptible to injury due to being constantly tackled. Gurley needs help to do his job. If his online is bad, he will look bad (as we saw in his second year).

So based on this information I would definitely feel more comfortable paying Donald $20+ than paying Gurley the same amount.

Akrasian

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
There’s a lot of variables that goes into player contracts.

Let’s see. Donald hasn’t missed a game due to injury. He has played at an all pro level since the first day he stepped on the field. He doesn’t need anybody else’s help to do his job.

Gurley has played good his rookie year, bad his second year, and all pro his 3rd year. He has missed games due to injury. Is also more susceptible to injury due to being constantly tackled. Gurley needs help to do his job. If his online is bad, he will look bad (as we saw in his second year).

So based on this information I would definitely feel more comfortable paying Donald $20+ than paying Gurley the same amount.

Well, I don't think EITHER are worth $20+.

Yes, Donald is more likely to stay at his level - but since Gurley's level last season was more valuable to the Rams than Donald, what that means is that if you overpay Donald, you just are much more likely to be overpaying him each year. He's a great player, but the nature of the NFL in 2018 makes him less valuable than Gurley was in 2017. Once you decide how valuable somebody actually is to the team, consistency and health are reasons to give more guaranteed money or longer contracts - not reasons to pay him more than he actually contributes.

Oh, I suspect Donald would look a lot less good if he had as bad a DC as the Rams had an OC in 2016.

Donald also needs help to look good. Look what happened to the Rams when Donald accidentally injured Brockers in the playoff game. Look how poor the run defense was with him all year. Defenders can often be run around - they are NOT doing it all by themselves. Donald's a great player, but he needs players all around him, or he will be schemed, or he will have the holes attacked. Gurley needs help too - but if there is an intelligently designed offense holes can be found still, just not as many as he had last season with a genius offense. Of course, is it any coincidence that AD's DPOY came with Wade, despite half the starting defense being replaced the next season?

In terms of healthy, don't count on it too much. The Texans had a guy who didn't miss a game his first 5 seasons, and won 3 DPOY during that period. Healthy and consistent. Has been consistently injured and a shell of himself since then.

Donald's a great player. But the game has changed and is changing to favor the offense. Sorry if you don't like it, but it's the case. His desire to be paid like a good QB does not make sense in the modern NFL. OTOH, Gurley's desire to be paid like a top non-QB, with the contract not starting until after two seasons of the cap being raised even higher, does make sense, and is team friendly. By the time his extension starts, the money is unlikely to raise any eyebrows, and it was all achieved without any drama, and without demands that his rookie contract be rewritten. You know, the contract that guaranteed him a bunch of money, without any certainty that he would be worth the money.

Last edited:

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
$24 Million a year for 4 years, $70 million signing bonus. I and Akrasian approve!:rockon:

Ramhusker

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bo Bowen
We better slow down because the # of pages this thread ends up with is how many million AD is going to ink for. 114 right now!

Psycho_X

Legend
For what it's worth which isn't much. Have said for a while the deal is done and it'd get signed and sealed a couple days before the last preseason game so he could skip it all. But here ya go, another dart at the board. Nothing new.

Status
Not open for further replies.