Aaron Donald’s contract situation

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jjab360

Legend
It pains me to say this, but if AD is pricing himself out then trade him for fair draft pick value, continue to stock up on cheap, young players that fit the system, and use that cap room to pay the multitude of other franchise players we need to get signed.

That might just be the reality of the situation right now.

It's a business and AD deserves to get paid but the Rams have proven to be no less than fair with all of these other contract extensions.

Is the juice worth the squeeze? When that squeeze is 1/6 of your cap room and you have 52 other players to pay? Take emotion and platitudes out of the situation and look at it logically. When it comes to cap space, would you take having Donald at 25 mil over both Suh and Gurley at 25 mil combined?

shaunpinney

Hall of Fame
It pains me to say this, but if AD is pricing himself out then trade him for fair draft pick value, continue to stock up on cheap, young players that fit the system, and use that cap room to pay the multitude of other franchise players we need to get signed.

That might just be the reality of the situation right now.

It's a business and AD deserves to get paid but the Rams have proven to be no less than fair with all of these other contract extensions.

Is the juice worth the squeeze? When that squeeze is 1/6 of your cap room and you have 52 other players to pay? Take emotion and platitudes out of the situation and look at it logically. When it comes to cap space, would you take having Donald at 25 mil over both Suh and Gurley at 25 mil combined?

Unfortunately, I'm with you here @jjab360 - it really does seem that the Rams are being fair to their players, signing guys at sensible value. AD seems to be asking for a king's ransom, and yes he IS a great player, but what happens when Goff is to be extended etc.

If there are feelers out there and teams are offering fully loaded draft high end picks, then it really is something that needs to be looked at seriously. It's obvious (to me anyway) that the extra $4m is more important to AD than playing for Team Rams.

He is good, but he's not invincible.

rdlkgliders

"AKA" Hugo Bezdek
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Don
Nobody wants to lose A.D but unless their we get him signed in the next week this is hurting the team. This situation is the black eye on an otherwise bright offseason.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
No worries...AD will soon sign a large contract and will win 4 Super Bowls as a Ram before he retires...He'll be beloved in LA when he accepts the Gold Jacket, five years after that...

Kevin

Pro Bowler
This is a false choice. we do not have to choose between Donald and Suh/Gurley. Actually look at the cap room the team has and then demonstrate that the Rams have to make the choice you are presenting, otherwise you are just presenting and emotional, baseless premise.

Ramstien

Hall of Fame
Name
Ramstien
I'm sorry Donald does not seem to fit under the "We not Me" mantra of this Rams team.

Ramhusker

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bo Bowen
It really has boiled down to this. AD is not going to get but so much from any team and he has found that limit with the Rams. He can either break and take it or wish on rainbows that another team will up the ante. Reality is that any team that does that will probably be a loser because winning teams no longer break the bank on any one player that isn't a QB. The Rams are not going to break the bank. They are not going to pay a DT/DE but so much even though he is the best at the position. I can't believe AD is this stupid so it has to be other influences still at play. I'm guessing the most powerful entity blowing smoke up his ass is the NFLPA and his agent is implicitly involved in that agenda to up the scale on DL pay. I fear AD is caught in the middle.

ReekofRams

Hall of Fame
Name
Reek
No? Nothing yet?:shocking: I guess I'm off to another round of 'Inna Godda Davida' and 'Frankenstein' by the Edgar Winter Group.

It's either that or 'Loving You' by Minnie Ripperton.:puke:

Ramstien

Hall of Fame
Name
Ramstien
You seem to think that whenever someone asks for more than they are offered, that makes them selfish.

When being offered a contract to be the highest paid defensive player in the NFL at $21 million a year is not enough and you're trying to break the bank it is being self centered and not about the team. Someone please tell me what else Donald is able to do and make $21 million a year. The thing is he is still under contract for this season, if he and his agent continue to be unreasonable let him sit at home. The Rams can win without him.

Ramhusker

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bo Bowen
When being offered a contract to be the highest paid defensive player in the NFL at $21 million a year is not enough and you're trying to break the bank it is being self centered and not about the team. Someone please tell me what else Donald is able to do and make $21 million a year. The thing is he is still under contract for this season, if he and his agent continue to be unreasonable let him sit at home. The Rams can win without him.
I hate it because I had dreams of seeing AD and Suh lining up together and destroying QBs all season. It'll definitely be a most memorable "what ifs" if it doesn't end up happening. Fingers crossed.

Kevin

Pro Bowler
It really has boiled down to this. AD is not going to get but so much from any team and he has found that limit with the Rams. He can either break and take it or wish on rainbows that another team will up the ante. Reality is that any team that does that will probably be a loser because winning teams no longer break the bank on any one player that isn't a QB. The Rams are not going to break the bank. They are not going to pay a DT/DE but so much even though he is the best at the position. I can't believe AD is this stupid so it has to be other influences still at play. I'm guessing the most powerful entity blowing smoke up his ass is the NFLPA and his agent is implicitly involved in that agenda to up the scale on DL pay. I fear AD is caught in the middle.
We don't know what the Rams offer is so I'm not judging AD as stupid yet. We all want AD to sign and make our team whole again, and when that doesn't happen the tendency is to blame someone and in most people's eyes that someone is AD.

Are the Rams not offering enough guaranteed money? Is AD asking for excessively large incentive bonuses? Is AD doing this just to avoid training camp? We just don't know.

Legatron4

Legend
Name
Wes
If Donald gets a $120 million contract like I predict, it would take him 82 years to spend it if he blew $4000 per day.

#themoreyouknow

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
If Donald gets a $120 million contract like I predict, it would take him 82 years to spend it if he blew $4000 per day.

#themoreyouknow
82.19178 years, approximately...
0H1J6In.jpg

BadCompany

Rookie

#themoreyouknow

Before or after taxes?

Assuming he pays, give or take 50% in taxes, he's down to 41 years, which barely gets him to your standard retirement age, never mind into his 80s or 90s, which more and more people are living to. Of course this doesn't factor in any gifts he may give to family, friends, or charities, or any purchases he may want to make. $4000 a day may seem like a lot (and of course it is, really), but that's "only" $1.46 million per year. He couldn't even pay for a luxury house outright (the horror!).

Mind you, this doesn't factor in any endorsements he might make, or what have you. But still... Given "that" kind of lifestyle, $120 million can be blown fairly easy.

(I get it, I'm merely arguing for the sake of arguing, none of us will make that amount of money, but none of us live in that world either, and in that world $120 million may not seem like as much as it does to you and I, as insane as that may seem)

Status
Not open for further replies.