Aaron Donald’s contract situation

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.
Status
Not open for further replies.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
Like from the beginning. The Rams have control of Aaron Donald . The question is how far will Arron Donald go in his hold out ?

If he sits out the whole first half of the season. It still might even make The Rams that much better to closenthe season heading into the playoffs.
Aaron Donald would play in almost as many games if they make it to the Suoer Bowl .

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
tenor.gif

5b7eb9cf21721194199540.gif

Kevin

Pro Bowler
Two 1st round picks and a 2nd would ease my pain.
You don't think Donald is worth more than $21M per year, but you think some other team(s) would be willing to give up two firsts and a second round pick for him AND THEN pay him more than $21M?

FrantikRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Yep I would take Mack in a heartbeat. I'd oust either LaMarcus or Barron for him (for cap purposes) and give up our entire draft next year.

96GS#007

Pro Bowler
At this point, now that we exceeded our goal of #100pages, I've officially joined Camp Don'tgiveashit.

To AD....Need more than being the highest paid defensive player? Should've been a quarterback. Too damn bad that's not the position you happen to excel. You're a piece to the puzzle, not the end-all/be-all answer. If you were, we would have had a winning season before last year.​

If he re-joins the team, great. It he sits, so be it.

Nonetheless, this thread does have significant entertainment value so I'll be checking in often :D

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu

Cool to see so much Ram love in that video. The problem I had was that one dude and his definition of valuable being all about bang for the buck. Apparently you have to be on your rookie deal in order to be valuable to your team. The idea that Gurley became somehow less valuable because he signed his new contract is bafflingly idiotic. Here I thought value related to how your play helps the team.

ReekofRams

Hall of Fame
Name
Reek
Two 1st round picks and a 2nd would ease my pain.
You would trade a super star, one of the best defensive players of all time for 3 possible good players? I'm sorry but you sound like you work in the Cleveland Browns office.

Akrasian

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
You would trade a super star, one of the best defensive players of all time for 3 possible good players? I'm sorry but you sound like you work in the Cleveland Browns office.

Don't leave out $21 million plus in cap room. Over $21 million, since presumably he is holding out for more than that. It seems the cap room is often forgotten. Figure that is multiple good players in addition.

Kevin

Pro Bowler
Don't leave out $21 million plus in cap room. Over $21 million, since presumably he is holding out for more than that. It seems the cap room is often forgotten. Figure that is multiple good players in addition.
That should be worth two wins.

dang

Legend
There is a difference between best player and most valuable player. I believe part of the “value” equation is the cost to the team. If your best player costs the team 20% of the cap but only contributes to 15% of that teams success it’s plausible to consider if you could use 15% of the cap to achieve the same 15% of success. It’s a legitamite cost/benefit assessment.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Minus the salary those three draft picks make you might have one good player. And even then those 4 picks might not have the impact AD does, it’s a roll of the rice.

ReekofRams

Hall of Fame
Name
Reek
H
How many positions do we need good players? Oh, and good luck in matching good players for the positions we need. It's a crapshoot. Donald however is not a crapshoot. So keep talking about cap savings all you want, but you would still need to spend that money to help the team. And you're spending that money on a crapshoot. I'll take the sure thing anytime, and Donald is the sure thing.

Akrasian

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Minus the salary those three draft picks make you might have one good player. And even then those 4 picks might not have the impact AD does, it’s a roll of the rice.

Fair enough. Of course, those roster spots filled with the rookies and the player or players signed would take up cap space (and not necessarily league minimum players being replaced) so add a few million to allow upgrades at positions - i.e., being able to sign a better player or two than they would have otherwise.

Oh, and this assumes that Snead keeps all the picks, instead of spinning one or two off for slightly lower and probably much cheaper picks to go where the value is for whichever positions they are looking to fill. With Havenstein's signing and not counting AD, there are still 5 starters who are FAs at the end of the season. There is also a need to upgrade at least 1 of the OLB spots. Oh, and likely a TE too. So there is work to be done with or without Donald. Having picks and cap space makes the work more likely to be successful.

I don't expect Donald to be traded now - the time to do so was at the beginning of the league year, btw. However, if AD signs I still expect him to miss a game or two at a minimum, reducing his value to the Rams.

Akrasian

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
H

How many positions do we need good players? Oh, and good luck in matching good players for the positions we need. It's a crapshoot. Donald however is not a crapshoot. So keep talking about cap savings all you want, but you would still need to spend that money to help the team. And you're spending that money on a crapshoot. I'll take the sure thing anytime, and Donald is the sure thing.

As I mentioned above, with Havenstein signed and not counting AD, there are 5 starter spots who are FAs. There are also backups that need to be replaced (including backup QB, and any backups desirable as starters to replace FAs like Noteboom). At least 1 OLB it looks like. Maybe both, although a platoon might work out for one spot. TEs have not yet produced under McVay, even though in Washington it was one of the more important positions on the offense.

In terms of Donald not being a crapshoot - ask the Texans whether their 3-time DPOY player who had never been injured before signing his big contract is a crapshoot or not. EVERYBODY in the NFL is a crapshoot, just some bigger than others. Putting 1/7 of the salary cap space into one non-QB makes it more likely that if an injury occurs the team is crippled.

There is more than one way to build a team - while wanting stars, some of us would also like to have very deep teams so injuries don't automatically derail the success and so teams don't have weak spots to target. While so far the front office looks like they have plans to fill holes, it's also the case that not all of it has been successful yet (or TEs would be a much larger part of the offense, backup QB wouldn't seem to be a major issue, and OLBs wouldn't be needing an upgrade), and it will get MUCH harder with Donald at a record contract, and starting in 2020 Goff getting even more money.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
EVERYBODY in the NFL is a crapshoot, just some bigger than others. Putting 1/7 of the salary cap space into one non-QB makes it more likely that if an injury occurs the team is crippled.

^^^^This is what worries me the most^^^^

FaulkSF

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
FaulkSF
R-E-L-A-X
Donald will sign somewhere between n this Sunday thru Thursday. Doesn't want to play in preseason, but wants to be there for Game 1. If I hear more people complain about Donald and his contract, I'm going to implode!View attachment 25876

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
R-E-L-A-X
Donald will sign somewhere between n this Sunday thru Thursday. Doesn't want to play in preseason, but wants to be there for Game 1. If I hear more people complain about Donald and his contract, I'm going to implode!View attachment 25876

Better get ready to implode then because one way or another this will continue. If AD signs there will be complaints about him taking up too much cap room. If he doesn't sign then it will get even worse. Btw this thread has become a national treasure. :)

5b7f08ffc4444069065386.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.