Aaron Donald’s contract situation

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Akrasian

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Yes, about half the cap space in 2019 and less than one-fourth in 2020 would go to the best defensive player int he league if the Rams signed him for about $24M per year. There is always turnover and good football teams like the Rams will find good replacements and coach them up through the draft and free agency. Saving a few million here and there is a lot of money. Avoiding dead cap is important. My turn to ask a ridiculous hypothetical question: would you rather sign Bridgewater for $5M per year or have enough cap to resign Brockers?

Well, I've never said sign Bridgewater - however, the Rams appear to need a backup QB. Going cheap on that would put the Rams at risk for a Goff injury. Margins of error like that are things that will be sacrificed the more money that is spent on paying a defender like a QB.

The 2020 cap space is without most of the team - including $20 million+ for Goff's 5th-year option, AD, Havenstein's extension, starting CBs, the starting FS, Brockers, Suh, the entire OL, etc. It's a meaningless figure, especially since salaries are increasing. It actually means either the Rams have to hit on basically every pick or they will have holes all over. Yes, management is good - but putting them into the position where they have to hit on and successfully develop quickly such a high percentage of picks puts the Rams into a position where major depth holes are likely.

I understand wanting AD. I don't understand being so confident that an amazing amount of depth can be reliably replaced quickly.

Kevin

Pro Bowler
Well, I've never said sign Bridgewater - however, the Rams appear to need a backup QB. Going cheap on that would put the Rams at risk for a Goff injury. Margins of error like that are things that will be sacrificed the more money that is spent on paying a defender like a QB.

The 2020 cap space is without most of the team - including $20 million+ for Goff's 5th-year option, AD, Havenstein's extension, starting CBs, the starting FS, Brockers, Suh, the entire OL, etc. It's a meaningless figure, especially since salaries are increasing. It actually means either the Rams have to hit on basically every pick or they will have holes all over. Yes, management is good - but putting them into the position where they have to hit on and successfully develop quickly such a high percentage of picks puts the Rams into a position where major depth holes are likely.

I understand wanting AD. I don't understand being so confident that an amazing amount of depth can be reliably replaced quickly.
Bridgewater was just an example of not spending a lot of money when the team doesn't have to. You and I disagree on the value of Mannion; I think he's good enough for this year. Next year, maybe we move on from him.

IMO, the 2020 cap number is important. We have just about as many players under contract in 2020 as other teams do. Some more, some fewer. But that includes Gurley, Cooks, Woods, NRC and now Havenstein - even Barron. Plus Kupp, JJohnson, Noteboom and others will still be on their rookie contracts. I think there is enough $$$ to add Goff, Peters and Brockers too, depends on how smartly the FO structures the contracts and spreads out the big contract amounts over the years. We have players on our roster now who have enough talent to become starters two years from now. Maybe they are rough right now, but they can become stars, or good compliments to the stars we are lucky to have. I'm optimistic.

Merlin

Damn the torpedoes
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
I definitely think Jake has a bright future in journalism but I just don’t know what sources he would have related to the Rams. If true it would be extremely impressive and I would never doubt his word again.

The Rams have a tight front office, not much in the way of leaks coming out of there or otherwise the Havenstein contract not to mention Gurley's would have been reported. Cooks was obvious and still there wasn't any real insider info that broke on his status. IMO it's pretty clear some guys took a calculated risk in predicting AD was gonna sign.

Also gotta say you have a load of dudes nowadays parading around BS on twitter as if they're "reporters." Make a twitter account, name your product something snazzy, and prowl fan boards for material. Sorry if I'm not impressed by that BS.

bubbaramfan

Legend
Camp Reporter
Chances of AD and Suh taking a snap together not looking good.
Taking Easley off PUP and now a full go to play. Rams preparing to play without AD?

Stl2La

Hall of Fame
Taking Easley off PUP and now a full go to play. Rams preparing to play without AD?

Lol what does Easley being activated have to do with Donald? Or are you just trolling?

12intheBox

Legend
Name
Wil Fay

Oh, baloney feathers. There is no way AD sits out the year.

It will get done - it will just be at the last minute. We will all say, why couldn’t they have done that a month ago? And the answer will be because it isn’t a month ago. Deadline spur action - and the bigger the deal, the more this is true.

Whatever the final number ends up being, I would bet dollars to doughnuts that AD wouldn’t have taken it had it been offered a month ago. Why not? Because there may have been more out there for the taking.

bubbaramfan

Legend
Camp Reporter
AD's going to miss a game or more of regular season. Rams are preparing for that by getting Easley ready.

ReekofRams

Hall of Fame
Name
Reek

The writer is correct in saying that with the signings of Havenstein, Gurley, and Cooks we didn't hear a peep. So that would be consistent in what we're hearing about negotiations with Donald, not a peep. So when Jake might have something, which is backed by John Clayton of espn that was earlier discussed on this thread, then who are we to rag on him when he might just know something, and is willing to share what he has heard? Really?

bubbaramfan

Legend
Camp Reporter
Because Easley and AD play the same positions.

And yes I do think AD will be back, but not in time for the fisrt game.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I can't wait for this thread to die a nasty, AD contract signing, death. With as much intensity and passion I have seen AD in Camp during the Fisher years, it's always been a crazy proposition in saying he's holding out until Preseason is over. Donald has never been afraid of work, and loves everything about football, which included Preseason. He's not an old guy trying to preserve his body. He's a young firecracker, wanting to go off. Next offseason will be so much more pleasant than the drama we've had to endure with this BS, is over.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
2 preseason games in the book and chances are looking likely Donald will start slow or have to be nursed into games once he signs. May miss a game or games.

If this situation was our starting QB, we’d be in full panic mode.

But it’s not and we’re not.

That alone demonstrates the DT position is not worth QB money.

Not sure what Doanld’s agents are asking for, but I’m doubtful the Rams are being cheap watching nice contracts for Cooks, Gurley, Havs.

dang

Legend
We are all so hungry for Donald news that any news is better than no news!! I think its time to wait until we get solid substantiated news.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Yes, about half the cap space in 2019 and less than one-fourth in 2020 would go to the best defensive player int he league if the Rams signed him for about $24M per year. There is always turnover and good football teams like the Rams will find good replacements and coach them up through the draft and free agency. Saving a few million here and there is a lot of money. Avoiding dead cap is important. My turn to ask a ridiculous hypothetical question: would you rather sign Bridgewater for $5M per year or have enough cap to resign Brockers?
If that's choice, Brockers in a heartbeat

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
The Suh signing was far more indicative of the AD contract negotiation than anything Easley related. Easley was already here and rehabbing.

AD will sign, probably in about two weeks...and a year from now Suh will sign elsewhere as a FA. I also believe that Talib is a short-timer here(if Peters is successful this season).

It's also possible that two or three years from now the Rams mine another stud RB in the draft and when the money gets tighter they trade Gurley for high end picks. Gurley's contract could very well be a bargain three years from now from the POV of another team looking to add an experienced, former pro bowler with a few years left on the tires...and be willing to trade a 1st or 2nd. Both teams win.

I'm rambling, but the point is that you can't predict what a player contract will look like three years from now in relation to his production, and in relation to team direction or the ENTIRE ROSTERS STATUS. Money gets moved around, veterans restructure, players retire, good affordable players suddenly become available in 2nd tier FA, you find depth and/or starters in the draft that make current starters less valuable in money terms, you lose players to career injury and on and on.

If your front office knows what it's doing it all works itself out....just like any of us who have had bad days or bad weeks...you push through, do what you gotta do and come out the other side in good shape :)

I understand that worrying about the money NOW makes for good discussion right NOW....but i'm just not buying into that angle at all.

If the Rams are staring at 4-12 five years from now it won't be because they paid Aaron Donald QB money. It will be because they didn't maintain the quality scouting, got stupid in FA, lost key players to career threatening injuries or found God at the ass-end of space.
giphy.gif

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
The Suh signing was far more indicative of the AD contract negotiation than anything Easley related. Easley was already here and rehabbing.

AD will sign, probably in about two weeks...and a year from now Suh will sign elsewhere as a FA. I also believe that Talib is a short-timer here(if Peters is successful this season).

It's also possible that two or three years from now the Rams mine another stud RB in the draft and when the money gets tighter they trade Gurley for high end picks. Gurley's contract could very well be a bargain three years from now from the POV of another team looking to add an experienced, former pro bowler with a few years left on the tires...and be willing to trade a 1st or 2nd. Both teams win.

I'm rambling, but the point is that you can't predict what a player contract will look like three years from now in relation to his production, and in relation to team direction or the ENTIRE ROSTERS STATUS. Money gets moved around, veterans restructure, players retire, good affordable players suddenly become available in 2nd tier FA, you find depth and/or starters in the draft that make current starters less valuable in money terms, you lose players to career injury and on and on.

If your front office knows what it's doing it all works itself out....just like any of us who have had bad days or bad weeks...you push through, do what you gotta do and come out the other side in good shape :)

I understand that worrying about the money NOW makes for good discussion right NOW....but i'm just not buying into that angle at all.

If the Rams are staring at 4-12 five years from now it won't be because they paid Aaron Donald QB money. It will be because they didn't maintain the quality scouting, got stupid in FA, lost key players to career threatening injuries or found God at the ass-end of space.
giphy.gif
1I82rDk.png

Status
Not open for further replies.