Aaron Donald’s contract situation

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.
Status
Not open for further replies.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Your right. The Rams also have the players they need to be successful. The Rams do a real nice job making training camp fan friendly!!

hey i was just saying dissing the tes like that in front of the gm in their house wouldn't be what i would do.

having said that i really appreciate the updates you provide of what's happening in camp.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
He's under contract. Why should that count towards the extension?

5 years at $24m equals $120m. add his salary this year $7m comes to 6 years for $127m. that would be the way the rams look at it.

Akrasian

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
5 years at $24m equals $120m. add his salary this year $7m comes to 6 years for $127m. that would be the way the rams look at it.

I doubt the Rams would look at it that way. They would look at it as paying him $24 million per year from 2019-2023. Because in fact, that's what they'd be doing. They already have him contractually obligated for 2018. And I strongly suspect that paying him $24 million per year is something that the Rams are not actually willing to do. There might be a year or two with that much, but with other added years with enough less that the front office would decide it was worth it. If they were willing to go $24 million average each year of the extension, I suspect they'd have had him signed long ago.

Rainram

Starter
No doubt having AD in the mix would be awesome...but I think we're easily a 10-win team, with a top 10 defense, without him. Hmmmm

12intheBox

Legend
Name
Wil Fay
No doubt having AD in the mix would be awesome...but I think we're easily a 10-win team, with a top 10 defense, without him. Hmmmm

Maybe so, but thats no longer the measuring stick we are using.

Are we a Superbowl team without him?

Are we a Superbowl team with him?

If the answers to those two questions are different, then that should create some urgency.

Still, having said that, the Rams have the leverage and they should use - but only sofar as a deal still gets done.

Rainram

Starter
Maybe so, but thats no longer the measuring stick we are using.

Are we a Superbowl team without him?

Are we a Superbowl team with him?

If the answers to those two questions are different, then that should create some urgency.

Still, having said that, the Rams have the leverage and they should use - but only sofar as a deal still gets done.

With McVay, Phillips and the players we have. I think so.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I doubt the Rams would look at it that way. They would look at it as paying him $24 million per year from 2019-2023. Because in fact, that's what they'd be doing. They already have him contractually obligated for 2018. And I strongly suspect that paying him $24 million per year is something that the Rams are not actually willing to do. There might be a year or two with that much, but with other added years with enough less that the front office would decide it was worth it. If they were willing to go $24 million average each year of the extension, I suspect they'd have had him signed long ago.
If say the extension is for 5 years 120 (24 per) with a 20 mill singing bonus, wouldn’t they pro rate the bonus over 6 years including this, and pay out 20 mill base for 5 years?

1maGoh

Hall of Fame
Why is it that you don't want players playing for than 6 games a year? I get that they have the option, but jeez. Nobody really wants to see them use it.

Akrasian

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

It's unrealistic to think that the Rams will give in on both the salary AND the guaranteed money. If they were going to give in on both, they would have done so already. Demoff though already indicated they weren't willing to do a deal that would hurt the team. I do think the Rams would be much more willing to give in on guaranteed money than have such huge cap hits. And as I've said before, I could see a huge unguaranteed year at the end that would likely never be paid. But that way AD would get a metric shit-ton of guaranteed money, and have the official AAV of the extension be huge - but the Rams would have a lower annual value, so that the salary cap isn't effed up.

Akrasian

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

Individual year cap figures do matter. While it's possible to move some money around, players generally want to be paid earlier all things being equal. Time value of money, you know - they want to be investing it sooner, or buying luxury items, or whatever. Can't blame them on that. And with a team that has a bunch of high-end contracts either just signed or coming due, that can be a real problem.

Huge non-guaranteed years that aren't expected to be paid SHOULD be irrelevant, but in fact, we have seen them repeatedly being used to pad the numbers of the contract, so that players can show up at or near the top of the list for contracts, at least for a while. It's an ego thing, and like it or not, part of what drives players is their competitiveness, including in things like contract sizes. Heck, AD's desire to be the highest paid by a large margin is itself an ego thing to some extent.

What I've been suggesting is blowing out the record for guaranteed money for a non-QB, if he signs long enough even for a QB - but while the AAV would be a record even before the nonguaranteed balloon, it would not be a decent QBs salary.

If AD is insisting on QB's salaries, and the Rams knew that was where he was going to hold his ground, they should have traded him at the beginning of the league year. That they didn't, AND that Demoff has been interviewed making it plain they would not do a contract bad for the team, makes me believe that the Rams do expect to hold the AAV down. Since Kroenke and the Rams are rich they can afford to guarantee a lot, and especially can afford to give a huge signing bonus so that AD gets his money sooner than later. But a huge signing bonus does limit how much money can be shuffled around year to year. And yes, I know the Rams generally limit signing bonuses - I think this is a special situation.

I know there was that one report that he'd get an AAV of $24 million - but we know that report is at least partially wrong, since it also said he'd sign this week, and that did not happen.

FWIW, my prediction is a 5 year extension if there isn't a balloon year at the end. Those 5 years would be for $108 million, with a record $55 million signing bonus and another $40 million guaranteed. More than I think any defender is worth in the NFL nowadays, but liveable.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
hey i was just saying dissing the tes like that in front of the gm in their house wouldn't be what i would do.

having said that i really appreciate the updates you provide of what's happening in camp.

Hey- no worries man, to each his own. I respect your opinion. It’s a good time. Camp
Is over now & just glad I was able to check it out.
Watched some of the game today, but you can tell who the players are in practice.I
have to watch the game next week again, but
I liked how things are coming together.
This should be a real fun season.

12intheBox

Legend
Name
Wil Fay

View: https://twitter.com/DowntownRams/status/1031356914280611840

tenor.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.