Aaron Donald’s contract situation

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.
Status
Not open for further replies.

NERamsFan

Pro Bowler
No disrespect to Jake, but I honestly wasn’t holding my breath for his “sources.”

I hope for his sake he doesn’t get blackballed for his recent efforts, complete whiff!

12intheBox

Legend
Name
Wil Fay

I agree. It seems - as most of us thought all along - that it’s going to take real deadlines and that we will probably need to go past those deadlines to see who blinks first.

But maybe, just maybe - they are more agreed than disagreed on the bigger picture and they just need more time to sort out details.

The former seems more likely.

dang

Legend
I truly appreciate what Downtown Ram is presenting. We all hope for a deal before the regular season but perhaps its best for them to wait for some more substantiated details to come forward.

ReekofRams

Hall of Fame
Name
Reek
No disrespect to Jake, but I honestly wasn’t holding my breath for his “sources.”

I hope for his sake he doesn’t get blackballed for his recent efforts, complete whiff!
I truly appreciate what Downtown Ram is presenting. We all hope for a deal before the regular season but perhaps its best for them to wait for some more substantiated details to come forward.
As discussed earlier in this thread right after Downtown is listed as reporting it so is John Clayton of espn quoted confirming the same thing as @jakebogen95. So it not only came from Downtown.

badnews

Use Your Illusion
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
I still believe a long term deal is done before long. If not with the Rams than I really believe they will seek a trade partner before the deadline. The Rams are clearly all in on this season and an ongoing AD holdout will get uglier and grow into a distraction I dont think the Rams want. Either DTR is right or they are really at an impasse that neither side can work around. It's entirely possible that a HOF caliber interior DL plays his way out of a contract in an offensively driven NFL.
A situation where - the position + the greatness of the player + the roster + the way the game is won today + his agent + a prudent FO = A perfect storm where a smart FO and a great player can't work it out.

For the record, I expect him to sign before week 1.
Odds are Brockers he signs/Bulger he dont. Maybe closer to Westbrooks/Ficken.
I am also predicting that whatever deal Aaron Donald signs will be for so much money that a lot of people hold it against him, call him greedy and then also talk about how great their favorite MLB and NBA stars are, who make so much more and put less on the line...
It's ok to want your team to be in great financial shape, to worry about cap space and to disagree with how much cap should be spent on a player. What isnt cool is to negatively judge the player personally for getting the best contract that he possibly can. Good for Aaron Donald. Nobody in football currently has earned the opportunity to get a big contract more than he has.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
I won't be complaining about the money. Athletes are overpriced. We know this. Its not my money and no matter what the Rams pay him it won't be an excuse as to why we didn't win a Super bowl in the next 5 years.

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
I won't be complaining about the money. Athletes are overpriced. We know this. Its not my money and no matter what the Rams pay him it won't be an excuse as to why we didn't win a Super bowl in the next 5 years.

Hey! We’re winning the next 5 Super Bowls!!!

Time to get on the truth train, brother!!!

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
Hey! We’re winning the next 5 Super Bowls!!!

Time to get on the truth train, brother!!!
I'm full on board Mack, and what i'm saying is that "overpaying" our young stars isn't going hurt this team enough to cripple our chances of winning. It just doesn't happen. In the NFL, teams cripple themselves by not having a legit QB, drafting poorly and spending too much in FA.

Pay the man and stop worrying folks. :)

UKram

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I personally doubt we see AD in camp before week 1 of the season ( im thinking like last year be back in time for game 2)

i dont care what he i gets as long as it doesn't interfere with the Rams ability to sign competent players to keep the team competitive for the next 5-10 years ,, we have been through too many shit years and crap rosters to go back to that ( lets go madden for a moment ) if his contract stops us sigining those 85-74 players and we are stuck with the 65 and lower players it wont be worth it

ask SJ what its like to be a phenom and stuck in shit for the whole of your career

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
I'm full on board Mack, and what i'm saying is that "overpaying" our young stars isn't going hurt this team enough to cripple our chances of winning. It just doesn't happen. In the NFL, teams cripple themselves by not having a legit QB, drafting poorly and spending too much in FA.

Pay the man and stop worrying folks. :)
I agree with this to a point. But still... a few million won’t be the reason if we don’t stay in the hunt. All of what you said have to be done and it ain’t easy for any team to do it.

Jacobarch

Legend
Name
Jake
I agree with this to a point. But still... a few million won’t be the reason if we don’t stay in the hunt. All of what you said have to be done and it ain’t easy for any team to do it.

eh that's only half true. and if Goff plays even better this year than the last, how are going to be able to afford him? No way we afford, Goff, Gurely, Cooks, Woods, Kupp, Peters, Joyner, AD, John Johnson, and co. and I'm sure there's going to be another player or two that flashes this year.

If we sign AD to QB money, it will wreck our team a year or two down the road. Mark my words.

Kevin

Pro Bowler
eh that's only half true. and if Goff plays even better this year than the last, how are going to be able to afford him? No way we afford, Goff, Gurely, Cooks, Woods, Kupp, Peters, Joyner, AD, John Johnson, and co. and I'm sure there's going to be another player or two that flashes this year.

If we sign AD to QB money, it will wreck our team a year or two down the road. Mark my words.
Spend a few minutes just looking at where the Rams are in relation to the salary cap in years 2019 and beyond. We are in very, very good shape especially considering we already have Gurley, Cooks and Woods signed to long-term contracts.

We cannot spend foolishly (like $5 million on Teddy Bridgewater, e.g.) but we can sign the stars we need to keep without wrecking the team.https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/los-angeles-rams/cap/2019/

Akrasian

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Spend a few minutes just looking at where the Rams are in relation to the salary cap in years 2019 and beyond. We are in very, very good shape especially considering we already have Gurley, Cooks and Woods signed to long-term contracts.

We cannot spend foolishly (like $5 million on Teddy Bridgewater, e.g.) but we can sign the stars we need to keep without wrecking the team.https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/los-angeles-rams/cap/2019/

So nearly half the available cap space going to AD. 6 other starters free agents, plus numerous backups. Either they are resigned (not enough money), replacements signed (again, not enough money for good ones) or filled by backups and draft picks. But there aren't enough picks to do that, unless every pick is a hit. Which won't happen. So there will be mediocrities, without money to grab players to fill holes, or to grab good injury replacements. Oh, and not shown for 2020 but Brockers is a free agent (remember what happened after he got hurt in the playoff game?) and Goff will get a huge raise as a 5th-year player - and a #1 overall QB to boot. Plus Peters, etc.

A few extra million in cap space would make a huge difference in terms of throwing an extra half million here, a half million there to get players to sign with the Rams, instead of the Rams having to offer the minimum.

Plus, of course, giving in to AD after hard negotiations would mean that other agents would insist on negotiating in a similar way since the Rams would have shown that when push comes to shove in negotiations, they sign the player at his price. So there likely would be years of tough negotiations, with the fans saying "pay the man". Fortunately, Demoff in that radio interview made it sound like the Rams wouldn't give in for a bad contract.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Just for consideration, if I were you guys don’t get too attracted to safeties. We might change out low round draft pick after every rookie contract expires. A row other spots could see this as well, like Gurley backups.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Plus, of course, giving in to AD after hard negotiations would mean that other agents would insist on negotiating in a similar way since the Rams would have shown that when push comes to shove in negotiations, they sign the player at his price. So there likely would be years of tough negotiations, with the fans saying "pay the man". Fortunately, Demoff in that radio interview made it sound like the Rams wouldn't give in for a bad contract.

I only say "Pay the Man" when "the Man" is a first ballot Hall of Famer. He might be the best ever 3 Tech DT. Even so, 25 million is about as far as I'd go...So I am saying PAY THAT MAN HIS MONEY!*

*as long as the contract is within my idea of being reasonable.

Kevin

Pro Bowler
So nearly half the available cap space going to AD. 6 other starters free agents, plus numerous backups. Either they are resigned (not enough money), replacements signed (again, not enough money for good ones) or filled by backups and draft picks. But there aren't enough picks to do that, unless every pick is a hit. Which won't happen. So there will be mediocrities, without money to grab players to fill holes, or to grab good injury replacements. Oh, and not shown for 2020 but Brockers is a free agent (remember what happened after he got hurt in the playoff game?) and Goff will get a huge raise as a 5th-year player - and a #1 overall QB to boot. Plus Peters, etc.

A few extra million in cap space would make a huge difference in terms of throwing an extra half million here, a half million there to get players to sign with the Rams, instead of the Rams having to offer the minimum.

Yes, about half the cap space in 2019 and less than one-fourth in 2020 would go to the best defensive player int he league if the Rams signed him for about $24M per year. There is always turnover and good football teams like the Rams will find good replacements and coach them up through the draft and free agency. Saving a few million here and there is a lot of money. Avoiding dead cap is important. My turn to ask a ridiculous hypothetical question: would you rather sign Bridgewater for $5M per year or have enough cap to resign Brockers?

Status
Not open for further replies.