Aaron Donald is signed, 6-years, $135 million, including $87 million guaranteed

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
We are talking past each other. Yes, Donald is freak with leverage and conditioning. But a player needs mass as well, otherwise long distance runners would be kicking @ss in the NFL.

Don't forget that technically, especially with Suh manning the nose, AD is going to be a DE and doesn't need that extra 15-20 lbs. I fully expect them to use AD more at the 5 than in the past because both Brockers and Suh are just studs against the run.

Either way, as long as his functional strength isn't greatly diminished and his quickness is slightly increased, he should be more productive than ever.

If he was going to be a 3T with time at 1T occasionally, then yeah, I'd say he needs the extra pounds.

Where he's likely to play now? Not so much.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Don't forget that technically, especially with Suh manning the nose, AD is going to be a DE and doesn't need that extra 15-20 lbs. I fully expect them to use AD more at the 5 than in the past because both Brockers and Suh are just studs against the run.

Either way, as long as his functional strength isn't greatly diminished and his quickness is slightly increased, he should be more productive than ever.

If he was going to be a 3T with time at 1T occasionally, then yeah, I'd say he needs the extra pounds.

Where he's likely to play now? Not so much.
But Phillips has said that Where Donald plays will be essentially the same in a 3-4 DE vs a 4-3 DT?

PhillyRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Scott
But Phillips has said that Where Donald plays will be essentially the same in a 3-4 DE vs a 4-3 DT?

You should pull him aside after practice and tell him he looks too weak to play in Wade's 3/4... and that he needs to bulk up.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
You should pull him aside after practice and tell him he looks too weak to play in Wade's 3/4... and that he needs to bulk up.
It’s amazing the attitude you and others are showing about a simple question of lost weight. I never said that Donald would function less than last year. He weighs as much as DT’s in 70’s weighed, many of which couldn’t handle todays NFL linemen.

It’s not a stupid assed question to ask, imo.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
It’s hilarious that I have been debating tempest in a different thread that Aaron Donald is a generational talent and is the GOAT at 3 Technique DT(IMO), and I’m getting indirectly accused of AD sucking because he lost 15-20 pounds...lol

PhillyRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Scott
It’s amazing the attitude you and others are showing about a simple question of lost weight. I never said that Donald would function less than last year. He weighs as much as DT’s in 70’s weighed, many of which couldn’t handle todays NFL linemen.

It’s not a stupid assed question to ask, imo.

I was just joking... relax.

I am sure he will get to where he needs to be though. They are professionals... They have an idea of what's going on.

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack

I think with our secondary and with both Brockers and Suh also on the line, I think Wade will try to do things to free up AD so he's not getting doubled and tripled every play.

I mean if they move Suh around, it kinda follows that they'll move AD around, too.

Honestly, unless he reported under 250, I dunno that his weight matters at all.

I know last year to ease the transition to the 3-4, they didn't really change AD's role and essentially was a 3T irrespective of the base set.

I really think this year they get more creative with AD and Suh will be a big part of giving Wade the flex to move AD around.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I was just joking... relax.

I am sure he will get to where he needs to be though. They are professionals... They have an idea of what's going on.
I’m sorry.:baghead:

Akrasian

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Here is what is reported for 2020 without the Havenstein contract that they haven't updated. They also don't have Goff's number. Brockers could be a casualty of the other contracts and Barron's health has been a question mark. If he is healthy his 9 Million doesn't look so bad. The Rams are top heavy on contract numbers. Donald, Gurley, Cooks, Havenstein, Woods, NRC and Goff are all secure. That is the foundation the Rams are building on. Hekker has the 8th highest cap number. Marcus Peters is another big deal that will take big money too. The rest of the roster is cheap labor.

It's 2021 when the rookie class of 2017 will be free agents. Kupp, Johnson and company. So it will be 2020 decision time. I guess those are the players the Rams could lose. The QB numbers a staggering although I think Goff may not hold the Rams hostage to make a deal. If you took out 25 Mlillion for Goff, 18 Million for Peters and 8 Million for Havenstein that leaves the Rams with estimate of 48+ Million remaining.

Well at least we can get an idea of what they Rams are facing in 2020. Your right 2018 and 20159 look very good.

https://overthecap.com/salary-cap/los-angeles-rams/
Total Cap Liabilities: $100,247,500
  • Top 51: $100,247,500
  • Team Cap Space: $99,752,500
  • Offense: $48,405,501
  • Defense: $46,629,999
  • Special: $5,212,000
View attachment 26013

I think you're right that Brockers will be a sacrifice. He's an outstanding player, but I expect Wade to believe that much of his production could be replaced with a 2nd rounder - not as good as MB, but much cheaper.

In terms of the OL, Havenstein is signed. Noteboom I expect to be a starter, though we don't know at which position for sure. I think it would be very optimistic to expect both Allen and Demby to be starters that the Rams wouldn't be trying to upgrade - maybe one of them, but not both. So that's two OL realistically not yet on the roster. But the big hit will be the secondary. CB is one of the key positions in the current defense. 3 of the top 4 CBs are free agents by then. Maybe Peters signs that cheaply, though that is far from sure. That still leaves 2 of the top 4 CBs to be signed or replaced, in a position that the Rams have yet to show an ability to develop from within, and which is generally highly valued in the draft and in free agency. Add in FS and things like TE, plus of course LB, and there are definitely holes to fill. Hence Brockers likely not resigned, and several other positions needing to be filled in expensive ways.

Oh, Goff isn't listed since it is too early to tender him for 5th year, and the dollar figure won't be known until after the 2019 season. We do know that the figure would be $20.9 for 2018, and with all those expensive QB contracts signed this offseason that figure is going up.

In any case, the Rams made their choice, so let's hope that they have an even higher rate of draft success than they've been having - they will need it.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
It can be, when you are dealing with 350 pound behemoths.

You sure he's lost a lot of weight? None of us know where AD plays on a year to year basis. I expect he's the guy who knows best what he should weigh to maximize his performance.

MachS

Hall of Fame
I think last year Brock and AD both moved into the NT a bit, where this year it will be Suh and Brock rotating at NT. I'm sure Aaron will be there a bit, but the priority is keeping him on the guards shoulder (3tech).

I'd he's playing more 3tech and less NT this year, playing at 280 and being a hair quicker should be perfect.

XXXIVwin

Hall of Fame
I’m with Loyal on this one.

On the one hand, I trust McVay and Phillips completely, I’m sure they’ll figure things out.

OTOH, it struck me as a bit weird that Wyche reported that AD was all the way down to 270 lbs., since I thought a 3-4 DE usually comes in at 280-300 lbs.

Just curious whether the lost weight was intentional or not. People sometimes lose weight when they are severely stressed, and I even wondered if the stress of the holdout was affecting AD?

Regardless, I trust this to be worked out. But my guess is that the Rams coaches would prefer for AD to be 280-285 instead of 270. A couple extra days of chowing down and he’ll be all good.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I’m with Loyal on this one.

On the one hand, I trust McVay and Phillips completely, I’m sure they’ll figure things out.

OTOH, it struck me as a bit weird that Wyche reported that AD was all the way down to 270 lbs., since I thought a 3-4 DE usually comes in at 280-300 lbs.

Just curious whether the lost weight was intentional or not. People sometimes lose weight when they are severely stressed, and I even wondered if the stress of the holdout was affecting AD?

Regardless, I trust this to be worked out. But my guess is that the Rams coaches would prefer for AD to be 280-285 instead of 270. A couple extra days of chowing down and he’ll be all good.

Donald is down to 280 pounds. He said that about a week ago. When did he say he's 270 pounds?

ReekofRams

Hall of Fame
Name
Reek
This day keeps getting better. Seems the Rams are focused AND I passed that stone last night.

oh_happy_day.gif~c200
Been there, done that, don't want to do it again. Hopefully you're either done, or almost done.