a respectful thread about Robert Quinn

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Soul Surfer

Legend
Name
Charles Mazyck
Amazing fact;
Robert Quinn played on the same high school football team,
( Fort Dorchester High School, Charleston, South Carolina )
as Byron Maxwell and Carlos Dunlap.

BriansRams

"Rams next Superbowl is 2023 season." - (Oct 2022)
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Camp Reporter
Name
Brian
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Amazing fact;
Robert Quinn played on the same high school football team,
( Fort Dorchester High School, Charleston, South Carolina )
as Byron Maxwell and Carlos Dunlap.

That's pretty cool. Not sure it is "amazing" but it's pretty cool, and a bit rare.

BriansRams

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Camp Reporter
Name
Brian
What is everyone's opinion on how Robert Quinn played last week at Dallas?
I was not impressed. I'm really worried. He's on the ground a lot.
I feels like we have 10.5 players on defense sometimes.

Please no name calling regarding Quinn. He's a good guy, so let's discuss him with respect. (It is NOT disrespectful to have an opinion that he's not playing well at all)

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I was not impressed. I'm really worried. He's on the ground a lot.
I feels like we have 10.5 players on defense sometimes.

Please no name calling regarding Quinn. He's a good guy, so let's discuss him with respect. (It is NOT disrespectful to have an opinion that he's not playing well at all)

He is on the ground a lot. I thought he did okay as a pass rusher considering the competition. I have a feeling that he'll feast against Seattle.

TexasRam

Legend
Yea Quinn is not the same. I think he will get phased out real soon if he doesn’t turn it around. It happens to some guys with injuries. Longacre probably takes over.

Alexander is already getting phased out. Johnson was getting all the snaps in the second half of the Cowboys game.

These two stick out on film as killing the defense. Olgeltree at least offers help in pass coverage and blitzing. We may see him have a critical role running down Wilson.

Barron’s game is really coming together.

gabriel18

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I've been critical of Quinn the past two years for doing the same thing over and over . I can't believe the coaches don't make him try another move because running 5 yards behind the QB every play drives me crazy . Hopefully he finds a way to figure it out against the Hags but I wouldn't bet on it .

Soul Surfer

Legend
Name
Charles Mazyck
In 2013 he had 19 sacks!
The man was on the verge of setting a NFL record for sacks.

He has had 55.5 sacks in his six-year career so he's still averaged 8 to 9 sacks a year.
Resigning him made very good sense but the bar was set so high by himself that we kind of expect him to regain that at some point.
However he had a severe back injury that required major surgery and rehab.

I think Quinn, his teammates, the coaches in the front office all realize this is pretty much a make-or-break year for him.
Is he able to do it physically?
Does he still have the mindset to do it?
Is he subconsciously or consciously aware that he could be permanently injured if he plays too hard?

At the minimum we're looking at a restructure unless he really starts tearing it up.

Last edited:

Noregar

Starter
Name
Roger
I really want to seem him prove me wrong in that I think he is shell of his former self just as Boni and many others here have stated. Quinn's 2103 season was amazing. He truly was dominant and he was more than a one-trick pony then. Quinn and Long were both in their prime and that was fun to watch. It is sad how quickly injures can sap a great player's career so we should appreciate greatness when we see it, for we do not know how long it will last. The drop-off in production for both Quinn and Long after injuries was precipitous.

Below is a look Quinn's basic career stats to date

YR Age Games/Starts Sacks Tackles
2011 21 15 / 1 5.0 20
2012 22 16 / 14 10.5 24
2013 23 16 / 16 19.0 50
2014 24 16 / 16 10.5 39
2015 25 8 / 7 5.0 13
2016 26 9 / 8 4.0 8
2017 27 4 / 4 1.5 4

IMO Quinn's best game this season was against Indy while also playing fewer snaps but that was also the weakest opponent (both team and the player) he faced. To Quinn's credit he has faced three of the better left tackles in the league in Williams, Staley, & Smith but if he were still elite he would have shown more. We really need to see if he can make hay against some of the lesser tackles he will face coming up. If we do not see more production out of him against Seattle, Jacksonville, and Arizona then he truly is done IMO.

Last edited:

Soul Surfer

Legend
Name
Charles Mazyck
Bonifay. Which part did you have a differing opinion on?
I made like 10 different points and I can't be wrong on all of them.....

....or can I?

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
Meh

I need at least a couple tackles....a sack...or several pressures.....to say a DE/OLB had a nice game...bat some passes...something. Dude barely makes tackles behind the LOS

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
In 2013 he had 18 sacks!
The man was on the verge of setting a NFL record for sacks.

He has had 55.5 sacks in his six-year career so he's still averaged 8 to 9 sacks a year.
Resigning him made very good sense but the bar was set so high by himself that we kind of expect him to regain that at some point.
However he had a severe back injury that required major surgery and rehab.

I think Quinn, his teammates, the coaches in the front office all realize this is pretty much a make-or-break year for him.
Is he able to do it physically?
Does he still have the mindset to do it?
Is he subconsciously or consciously aware that he could be permanently injured if he plays too hard?

At the minimum we're looking at a restructure unless he really starts tearing it up.

The question that comes to my small mind Soul Surfer is why would Quinn restructure a deal when he will be the highest paid Ram in 2018 season? RQ will earn close to 11 million this season & is due to make a near 25 million the next 2 seasons. As you pointed out RQ has been a proven 43 right DE in the NFL. RQ is only 27 yrs old. One of the hardest defensive positions in the NFL to find.... is a good pass rushing right DE in the standard 43 defense. RQ knows that & his agent knows that so why would he take a pay cut when the NFL is digging scrapping the college ranks & all other NFL teams to find a proven 43 "D" Right DE.?

RQ has shown thus far in Training Camp, Pre season & thru wk 5 that he is not worth his current rate of salary cap hit as an OSLB'er. Quinn as of yet has shown no indications that he is trending upwards in his performance. Fact is Quinn has not had a full sack since wk#1 & has no sacks the last 2 games after starting all of them. RQ has only 1 tackle in the last 2 games. Might I say trending downward?

RQ's back up Matt Longacre who was a UDFA & earns the lowest end of the pay scale has 5 tackles the last 2 games & has logged 2 sacks. Barwin the other starting OSLB'er has 11 tackles compared to 4 tacks of Quinn. Barwin also leads the team in sacks & makes approx 8 million less than RQ. Then there's the fact that the Rams have 3 very interesting edge rushers in the recent Snead/McVay draft rookies Samson Ebukam/ Ejuan Price & promising 1st yr Carlos Thompson all under contract in 2018. All priced economy.

Rams can save over 24.5 million in 2018 & 2019 seasons with the release of RQ. That's a extra large chunk of cap $$ that could go to sign Aaron Donald, Sammy Watkins, John Sullivan, Lamarcus Joyner, Conner Barwin, Trumaine Johnson, Alec Ogletree & Nickell Robey-Coleman....all of which are playing much better than Rob Quinn.

Last edited:

Soul Surfer

Legend
Name
Charles Mazyck
Why would Quinn restructure?
If he still wants to play, he may have to.

That may be his only option.

The Rams may say, "We're not paying 11 million dollars or 25 million in the next two years for a below-average outside linebacker".

They have already drafted potential replacements and they may be looking at somebody already on the roster to replace him with.

I'm pretty sure he's in that place in his contract were they can cut him without much cap hit.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Why would Quinn restructure?
If he still wants to play, he may have to.

That may be his only option.

The Rams may say, "We're not paying 11 million dollars or 25 million in the next two years for a below-average outside linebacker".

They have already drafted potential replacements and they may be looking at somebody already on the roster to replace him with.

I'm pretty sure he's in that place in his contract were they can cut him without much cap hit.
You are correct the Rams can release him & it will cost them less than 1 million with a huge cap savings of a near 11.5 million.

Like you said the Rams already have better replacements for Quinn now there is no need for the 2017 version of Rob Quinn.(n)

Let Quinn go home to play for the Panthers where he can easily get a good size future contract in that defense.

Last edited:

Soul Surfer

Legend
Name
Charles Mazyck
Like you SAID the Rams already have better replacements for Quinn now there is no need for the 2017 version of Rob Quinn.(n)
No reason for you to scratch your head in wonderment because I said no such thing.

gogoat1

Pro Bowler
Name
Troy
I have not given up on Quinn just yet. If he has not figured it out (3-4) by week 8-10 then he wont. But he is still young, Rams are piling up points so its not make or break just yet. He still has time to be the "Ware" of this defense.
How long did it take him to get things going in this defense, or was it more of a natural fit.
Maybe Quinn and Ware need to talk ?

But still, I hate 3-4 defenses. Something not right about it. Its the RAMS and THE RAMS play a 4-3. Fearsome Foursome and all that. Jack Youngblood, Deacon, Merlin, Brook, Fanning, Dryer, Grier ect.

Ramstien

Hall of Fame
Name
Ramstien
I hope that Quinn and Austin are both moved this off season for whatever they can get for them.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
But still, I hate 3-4 defenses. Something not right about it. Its the RAMS and THE RAMS play a 4-3. Fearsome Foursome and all that. Jack Youngblood, Deacon, Merlin, Brook, Fanning, Dryer, Grier ect.
Yeah, but times change....look at it like a 5-2.....there, that's an ole school defense!:yess:

BriansRams

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Camp Reporter
Name
Brian
Quinn did a little better against the seahags in my opinion, but still not good enough for a starter, at big money. He had one sack right?