a respectful thread about Robert Quinn

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Ramfansince79

Rookie
Name
Ramsfan79
Dude is probably a little rusty from not playing much and getting confidence in his repaired body.

…..

Legend
We should realize SJ averaged 77 yards per game as a Ram.

Which is about what Tony Dorsett averaged for the Cowboys.
point taken. but it also takes 63 yards a game to get a 1000 yards and in his last 1k yard year he got 1005

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Quinn is rusty because he can not remain healthy....Quinn's body is not close to what he was back in 2013 & 2014. His dynamic skills as a full time player are gone. Besides the lack of production in the pass rush just as important is the run defense that has been even worse. Before this season began Quinn injured his wrist & had to have surgery....that event followed two back to back injury filled seasons that resulted being placed on the Injured Reserve. I am having a bit of a problem understanding how my fellow good ROD members are able to remain hopeful after fully reviewing the whole body of evidence. Has anyone observed a glimpse of the 2013 or 2014 Rob Quinn? Maybe a hand full of plays vs 85 to 90 so so or poor plays?

Season Week Description Status
Injured Reserve

2016 15 Concussion
2016 14 Concussion Questionable
2016 13 Concussion Questionable
2016 11 Illness Questionable
2016 7 Shoulder Questionable
2016 6 Shoulder Questionable
2016 5 Shoulder Questionable

Underwent several back surgeries post IR
Injured Reserve
2015 15 Back Out
2015 15 Back Injured Reserve
2015 14 Back Out
2015 13 Back Doubtful
2015 12 Hip, Back Questionable
2015 11 Hip Questionable
2015 10 Knee Questionable
2015 9 Knee Questionable
2015 8 Knee Questionable
2015 7 Knee Probable
2015 5 Not Injury Related Probable
2014 13 Not Injury Related Probable

The defense is playing well below what we have seen from it in the past & one of the main elements of this poor run defense takes place when Quinn mans the Right OLB'er post. I am not sure the team can continue to perform @ this defensive level & not end up with this season suffering major damage just so Quinn can work to knock the rust & attempt to get back in his grove? I just don't have that kind of patience but it not up to me..... its 4 wks into regular season of 2017 2 full years removed from his last decent playing season......if it were my decision I would bench him & let him knock off the chunks of rust in practice if its possible.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Quinn is rusty because he can not remain healthy

Nice post Boni.

For myself Quinn's just another guy who can't live up to his contract let alone the expectations of a starter. This isn't the Jeff Fisher show any longer. This staff isn't going to make excuses for guys who can't bring it to the field. There are multiple types who are in that conversation right now, and some of them to include guys like Quinn, Tavon, and Barron need to prove they can be counted on by this team to help them move forward.

As fans we get attached to these guys. They build loyalty with us and when they start to decline or otherwise don't fit or can't do the job we tend to make excuses for them. I'm past that point with Quinn, personally, just like I am with some others. Like with Tavon or even Barron I am hoping they get their $#!T together. Just no longer actively participating in overlooking what is obvious.

I'm tired of losing. I've had it man. Guys who can't contribute and help this team get better I am done with.

EDIT: oh and btw re: Quinn I do think he gets a couple more games to start showing he belongs. And since we don't have a young budding star behind him--at least that we know about right now--doing it this way is ok by me. Keep taking snaps from him and if he doesn't win them back so be it.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
I like to keep in mind that whatever I see of Quinn on the field, Wade sees all.

He's probably seeing what we see. He gets pushed out of the play constantly.

IMO, his issue is that he was never one to win with great pass rushing moves. He was just so amazing at speed rushing, but injuries to his back likely effected his ability to bend like he use to making his speed rush much less effective and he doesn't have a spin or swim move or fall back on

Backs are tricky after surgery, I've known people that ended up perfectly fine and people that never fully recovered. IMO Quinn hasn't been as strong or as fast and it's probably going to cost him his job after this year unless he turns it around.

Quinn needs to develop more than an outside move. He's gotta start using inside moves, bullrushes, and spins. LTs know what he's doing.

I don't think it's going to happen. He's been doing this for 3 seasons or more. I've been saying that since the year after the 19 sacks.

He's a one trick pony.

Rams43

Hall of Fame
Nice post Boni.

For myself Quinn's just another guy who can't live up to his contract let alone the expectations of a starter. This isn't the Jeff Fisher show any longer. This staff isn't going to make excuses for guys who can't bring it to the field. There are multiple types who are in that conversation right now, and some of them to include guys like Quinn, Tavon, and Barron need to prove they can be counted on by this team to help them move forward.

As fans we get attached to these guys. They build loyalty with us and when they start to decline or otherwise don't fit or can't do the job we tend to make excuses for them. I'm past that point with Quinn, personally, just like I am with some others. Like with Tavon or even Barron I am hoping they get their $#!T together. Just no longer actively participating in overlooking what is obvious.

I'm tired of losing. I've had it man. Guys who can't contribute and help this team get better I am done with.

EDIT: oh and btw re: Quinn I do think he gets a couple more games to start showing he belongs. And since we don't have a young budding star behind him--at least that we know about right now--doing it this way is ok by me. Keep taking snaps from him and if he doesn't win them back so be it.

Very well said, Merlin. In fact, you beat me to it by 34 minutes. Lol.

I would add a few more names to our mutual "prove it" list, however.

Higbee
Barwin
Ogletree

Like you, I'm done with the Fisher type patience thing. It's produce or be replaced by this staff.

It's all about winning from now on.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
The right side "D" does look to be under powered up front. You have lightweights (Donald, Quinn & Barron) involved on that side so there could be some tweaking to power up that front seven right side in the future.

UDFA WWC Matt Longacre is a solid tough consistent Right OSLB'er & offers up improvement when he comes in for Quinn. Ogletree may end up playing the Barron inside position after the bye too. Until Donald gets his run D back in full operation DL'ers Smart & Walker have serious size improvements to offer up vs the run.

Notice how we posting above about Ram non producers here 3 mentioned in the above posts who are in fail mode are listed in the top five of the Rams salary cap??(Austin,Quinn & Barron).

Pancake

Hall of Fame
Name
Ernie
Quinn is the Harry Chapin of football. Had a great one hit wonder year but nothing else close.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
point taken. but it also takes 63 yards a game to get a 1000 yards and in his last 1k yard year he got 1005
No Sjax fan here but he did avg 77 per game while Faulk only averaged 70

wolfdogg

Hall of Fame
Name
wolfdogg
No Sjax fan here but he did avg 77 per game while Faulk only averaged 70

Now that's an interesting tidbit, especially since Marshall had the benefit of a much better passing game, yet even knowing that, you're not a fan of SJ?

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
Before I make the leap, I want to make sure that he is in real football shape. He's been held out, quite a bit, all off-season, and he doesn't truly know the position. I'll give him a couple more weeks, then I can say for sure, whether he fits, or he doesn't.

He's not the only player on defense that I question this on. I hope that we get it it, and not that, we don't quite fit.

Seems like every year, it took us a couple games to figure out contain responsibilities, but then we did.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rarely will you see a crap LT....unless it's G-Rob or Flowers.....LOLOL yep blue font...for me....LOL

Looking at our schedule, the crap LTs are:
Seattle x2 (whoever is the starter now)
Cam Robinson - Jags (rookie; maybe not crap)
Cardinals x2 (if Humphrey is still hurt)
Ereck Flowers - Giants (total crap)
Texans (if Brown is still holding out)

So Quinn will have opportunities to juice his stats. Plus, he'll get to face guys like Reiff and Humphrey (if healthy) who aren't good LTs.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Looking at our schedule, the crap LTs are:
Seattle x2 (whoever is the starter now)
Cam Robinson - Jags (rookie; maybe not crap)
Cardinals x2 (if Humphrey is still hurt)
Ereck Flowers - Giants (total crap)
Texans (if Brown is still holding out)

So Quinn will have opportunities to juice his stats. Plus, he'll get to face guys like Reiff and Humphrey (if healthy) who aren't good LTs.

Yes but if Quinn doesn't improve game to game as we go forward it might be another OLB padding his stats. He is running out of time IMO.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Yes but if Quinn doesn't improve game to game as we go forward it might be another OLB padding his stats. He is running out of time IMO.
Are you speaking about the reserve non starting OLB'er who is leading (Quinn, Donald, Brockers, Westbrooks, Barwin & all other defensive players) the Rams defense in sacks thus far?

Current signed Ram OLB'ers who have played Right OSLB'er in pre season & regular season have been Barwin, Longacre, Price, Ebukam & Thompson. Wade seems to like Ebukam playing behind Barwin @ SSLB'er post along with Thompson. Price mainly saw action @ Weak or Right OLB'er.

Last edited:

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Are you speaking about the reserve non starting OLB'er who is leading (Quinn, Donald, Brockers, Westbrooks, Barwin & all other defensive players) the Rams defense in sacks thus far?

Most definitely. Quinn's already lost snaps to him and might lose more vs Dallas if he doesn't come out ballin. We will not win this game if Dak and the Ewok aren't contained.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Notice how we posting above about Ram non producers here 3 mentioned in the above posts who are in fail mode are listed in the top five of the Rams salary cap??(Austin,Quinn & Barron).

I've always wanted to go back and look at the big contracts given out year to year and see what the success rate is for them. Might do that someday, as well as see if there's a hit/miss correlation in number of years.

This is one thing that irks me about the Donald situation btw. Even though I understand where the Rams are coming from and even though I would not pay him stupid money (DTs are too easily gameplanned for), I don't see him as a guy who will coast or otherwise fail to live up to big money. Crappy situation.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
Most definitely. Quinn's already lost snaps to him and might lose more vs Dallas if he doesn't come out ballin. We will not win this game if Dak and the Ewok aren't contained.

15624396_1659032901062082_6560551618243198976_n.jpg

Longacre keeps squeezing in there. Not a superstar, but solid.

BriansRams

"Rams next Superbowl is 2023 season." - (Oct 2022)
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Camp Reporter
Name
Brian
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
ok, quite honestly, couldn't get past the first several sentences.

if you start talking about quinn and the first thing you say is he's a nice guy and not a complainer, you may be talking about your friend down the street named Robert quinn.

when you say he's made some great plays, you are obviously not talking about someone who has accomplished what he has.

but when you say, and this is when I wonder if you are being serious or in the midst of a serious binge of some kind, that he's well above average, then I'm at a loss for words.

no, wait, are you out of your damn mind?

Above average?? And then, well, used to be????

I'll try and get through the rest of this, well, I don't know what to call it, but I'll get back to it in the hope that there's actually a valid point. And if there is, I'll be all apologies, but if there isnt.....just imagine that scene in tombstone when Kurt has Ike in his barrel site at the train station and says you called down the thunder, well you got it!! You tell him I'm coming, AND I'M BRINGING HELL WITH ME!!!

Um. Yes, my valid point was wondering what are we going to do about Quinn making bazillions and not producing? That was my long winded point. You didn't see that when you read through it? :)

BriansRams

"Rams next Superbowl is 2023 season." - (Oct 2022)
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Camp Reporter
Name
Brian
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I think teams are still trying to account for him......But He's playing himself out of relevance in a hurry.

Money issues aside, production is important to maintain his starting spot. It is pretty important that dude gets some sacks. Thats just the facts of this position, with or without Wade Phillips.

Alot of us dont want to see our defensive stars fade......but this star has faded faster than Chris Long's.

For now, he's a Ram and we'll hope he has a resurgence. If he does not, the reality is what it is and we wont see him in horns another year @ 11m. Just business.

Yes. That's all I was trying to say. You use your words better than I. Thank you.

wolfdogg

Hall of Fame
Name
wolfdogg
Um. Yes, my valid point was wondering what are we going to do about Quinn making bazillions and not producing? That was my long winded point. You didn't see that when you read through it? :)

I said up front, I couldnt get past the first few sentences and would try later, which I will probably after tomorrow's game when I can make a better assessment, however, if he continues to play like he has, he will probably be hard to keep at his current contract.

I'm just giving up on him as of now.