8 NFL QB's at career crossroads

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I'm not a fan of the "on pace" stuff. Because they were also "on pace" to have 0 rushing Td last year while Sam was playing.
Yeah? Well I'm not a fan of people complaining about the rams qb even though he was playing well before he got injured.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Lol. Stop the on pace talk. He didn't accomplish those numbers because he was injured.

Like I stated earlier, remaining healthy is also a prerequisite for being a top QB. Year 5, time to produce. No more "potential" talk or on pace hypotheticals please

He was producing. It seems like you're locked into the whiners and cowboys games.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Yeah? Well I'm not a fan of people complaining about the rams qb even though he was playing well before he got injured.

I'm not a fan of people not reading what people are actually saying and making dumb comments.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Yeah, because we had zero rushing game for the beginning of the season. Someone had to make up for that lack of production.
Which is why the on pace talk is silly.
Sam was incredible in the red zone last year, but like you said we had no running game. So many of those opportunities may have turned out to be running plays. Conversely looking at the way he had the deep ball going in the Carolina game, he may have ended up throwing even more Td. Either way just not a fan of the on pace stuff.

Thordaddy

Binding you with ancient logic
Name
Rich
Which is why the on pace talk is silly.
Sam was incredible in the red zone last year, but like you said we had no running game. So many of those opportunities may have turned out to be running plays. Conversely looking at the way he had the deep ball going in the Carolina game, he may have ended up throwing even more Td. Either way just not a fan of the on pace stuff.
Well I wouldn't call it silly and one could even say the lack of any running game further bolsters the "on pace" as an indicator he had the ability to perform at that level at least part of a season against defenses that didn't need to honor the run and that maintaining the pace was really the question.
In the end it's his last sample of work and as a sample it's encouraging and not at all "silly" to me.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
The problem i have with the crowd that obviously doesn't support Bradford is that they obviously don't support Bradford. I don't use stats to support him, nor do i use stats to write him off.
He needs to play a full season and improve in some areas of his game i agree(I'm no Sam homer)...but some of you are just pushing your own agenda that says you want a new QB. I guess thats fine if you do want him replaced, but i wish you'd just say so and then leave it alone...but you'd better have the nuts to man up about it in six months if he has that type of season YOU don't think he's capable of producing.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I'm not a fan of people not reading what people are actually saying and making dumb comments.

Yeah I read it.

"I'm a Bradford supporter but....whining about Sam....blah....fawning over other qbs....blah...more whining..."

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
Yeah the 6 more Td passes make the numbers non comparable.

And why so hung up on the term excuse? What term would your prefer? Reasons? I think he had legitimate excuses for not living up to expectations.

Relax, take a breath. I'm on the same side here. Whatever "reasons" his performance was held back is behind us and he should be free to show what he's made of this year.

Better??

I hate the word "excuse." To me it's an ugly word that whenever and wherever it's used makes it seem like a fans are "covering up" when in fact...it actually happens.

For example....Sam Bradford couldn't lead the team to victory against the Falcons.

What actually happened: The defense, particular the secondary, put the team in a hole early on.

But that's an excuse.

Not saying that's what you are implying, just an example.

Thordaddy

Binding you with ancient logic
Name
Rich
I hate the word "excuse." To me it's an ugly word that whenever and wherever it's used makes it seem like a fans are "covering up" when in fact...it actually happens.

For example....Sam Bradford couldn't lead the team to victory against the Falcons.

What actually happened: The defense, particular the secondary, put the team in a hole early on.

But that's an excuse.

To me excuse is why you didn't do what you should have done. a reason is why you couldn't do what you needed to

snackdaddy

Who's your snackdaddy?
Name
Charlie
I guess the Bradford debate will rage on until he's no longer a Ram. And probably for a while after. But the way I see it, he's our starting QB in 2014. We don't have a say so in the matter. And frankly, we could do a lot worse.

Sure, he ain't Manning/Rogers/Brees/Brady. But he ain't Weeden/Freeman/Ponder/ either. Yes, he needs better weapons than he has to excel. Which likely means he's not elite. And what does elite actually mean? I don't think superbowl winning QB's like Eli Manning/Flacco/Rothleisberger/Wilson are considered elite. At least not on the level of the top 4. Those guys had solid teams around them.

Put an elite defense on the field with a solid running game and Bradford will look much better. No, he won't be Kurt Warner during the GSOT. But he's efficient and capable making quality throws. I can easily see them building a team where he can win look like a winner.
As far as the salary not matching the production, well, thats what you get when it comes to that position. Stafford and Cutler got themselves big contracts and they haven't exactly won a ton of games. Their teams know they're good enough if they build around them. Like Bradford is good enough if they build around him. Which they really haven't done so far.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

But that's an excuse.

Ok. Then my apologies.
I believe the excuses are fair and just reasons.
So we are on same page.
I think he will have a great year.

No more "reasons", none necessary

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Robert Griffin III, Sam Bradford among guys who must deliver
By Adam Schein/NFL Media columnist

It's go time.

As we get set for the unofficial start of summer this Memorial Day weekend, let's turn up the heat on some notable folks across the NFL.

No more underachievement. No more excuses. No more drama. It's time to put up or shut up.

Here's my Schein Nine on eight players -- and one coordinator -- who must take the next step forward in the 2014 season.

1) Robert Griffin III, quarterback, Washington Redskins

He won the power struggle with Mike Shanahan. Now RGIII needs to prove he's worth it.

For the most part, Griffin's rookie year in 2012 was flat-out majestic. But everything went south after RGIII injured his knee down the stretch, eventually blowing it out in a playoff loss to the Seattle Seahawks. This set off an overly aggressive -- and ill-fated -- "All in for Week 1"rehab effort. There was the way-too-public timeline for return, the impromptu press conferences and the eventual rush back to playing after barely practicing; it all led to a failed sophomore campaign. RGIII clearly wasn't healthy and never should've started the season under center for the Redskins.

Rock bottom came in December, when Griffin was publically embarrassed by Shanahan; the now ex-coach shut down his star pupil for the final three games of the regular season, handing the reins to backup quarterback Kirk Cousins. RGIII's reputation, on the field and in the locker room, took a major hit.

I love the appointment of Jay Gruden as the Redskins' new head man. Griffin would be wise to listen to his new coach. Griffin also would be wise to be wiser around the press and his teammates.

Was last season a blip or a trend? This is the year when we get an answer.

2) Trent Richardson, running back, Indianapolis Colts

I'm willing to give Richardson a semi-pass for last season. I'm sure his head was swimming after the stunning trade away from Cleveland. Suddenly, the second-year pro had to get acclimated to a new playbook (and new teammates) while simultaneously getting past the shock of being tossed aside by a franchise that had selected him with the No. 3 overall pick less than 17 months prior.

Of course, Richardson also had trouble staying on his feet, which is rather problematic for a running back. In 14 regular-season games with the Colts last year, he averaged 2.9 yards per carry. That's gross.

The guy has skills, and he's a nice fit in offensive coordinator Pep Hamilton's blue-collar offense. There is no excuse. It's not hyperbole to say Richardson's career is hanging in the balance. Which makes him similar to ...

3) Matthew Stafford, quarterback, Detroit Lions

Detroit rightly fired Jim Schwartz, replacing him with offensive/quarterback guru Jim Caldwell. The Lions then signed receiver Golden Taint in free agency. And in the first round of the 2014 NFL Draft, they eschewed many talented defenders -- wrongly, in my humble opinion -- to take tight end Eric Ebron. All of that was done for Stafford, a guy I seriously question.

The Lions quarterback makes suspect in-game decisions and throws too many picks. I don't think he's close to being elite. The time is now for Stafford to prove me wrong.

4) Sam Bradford, quarterback, St. Louis Rams
When it comes to this former No. 1 overall pick not living up to expectations, you can talk injuries or multiple offensive coordinators. You can reference poor offensive lines and receiving corps.

There's always an excuse for the Bradford apologists, but honestly, it's on Bradford himself. The quarterback hasn't been available, and when he has been on the field, he hasn't played great.

The Rams have talent and excellent coaching. In theory, Jeff Fisher's squad is ready to make a jump. Unfortunately, St. Louis plays in the NFC West -- the best division in the NFL. But hey, this is a results-based industry. If Bradford can't get this team over the hump in 2014, the Bradford era will be over in St. Louis. That's fair.

5)
Mike Wallace, wide receiver, Miami Dolphins

Wallace was never worth $60 million; the pact that brought him to Miami was a bad deal for the Dolphins. The purported crown jewel of last year's free agency crop, Wallace is a guy I first-guessedlong before pen hit paper. And he's one of the many reasons that Jeff Ireland is now a former general manager.

OK, in the interest of fairness, I'll point out that the raw statistics from Wallace's first year in Miami -- 73 catches for 930 yards and five touchdowns -- aren't catastrophic. But that's a shortsighted way to look at this. The truth is, Wallace did a lot of complaining last fall and came down with a case of the yips. While he isn't worth the money -- particularly the $27 million guaranteed -- Wallace is a much better player than what he showed last year. It's time to stop talking and start catching the ball.

6) Jay Cutler, quarterback, Chicago Bears

On the flip side, I really like the Jay Cutler-Marc Trestman marriage. Signing Cutler to a long-term contract was a no-brainer, as I wrote before the deal was consummated. I believe in Cutler. Now he needs to deliver.

GM Phil Emery was a wizard this offseason, locking up Cutler while vastly improving the defense via free agency and the draft. The offense is loaded with talent. Cutler must continue to work with Trestman and become the top-10 quarterback this organization is paying him to be. If he doesn't, the intensity in the football hotbed of Chicago -- and the heat from media nationwide -- will ratchet up quickly.

This team is ready for prime time. Cutler has to prove he can lead, dominate and get the Bears to the promised land.

7) Morris Claiborne, cornerback, Dallas Cowboys

When Claiborne was coming out of college, I thought he was going to be fantastic. So did the Cowboys, who traded up to take him with the No. 6 overall pick in the 2012 NFL Draft. He's been adequate, at best, and most certainly not an elite corner. In his first two NFL seasons, Claiborne's play has been spotty and he's battled a bevy of injuries.

Now, to be fair, I should note that Dallas' defense was a complete mess last season, as I touched on earlier this week. I fault former coordinator Monte Kiffin. Cowboys COO Stephen Jones understandably pointed a finger at the front seven on my SiriusXM Radio show, "Schein on Sports." But now, there's a new coordinator and new players up front. This defense, which ranked 30th against the pass, can significantly improve in 2014, but Claiborne has to take that next step. I expect it to happen.

8) Dom Capers, defensive coordinator, Green Bay Packers

I must admit, I am befuddled. I think Capers is a tremendous defensive football coach, and Green Bay has talent on that side of the ball. So why has this Packers unit been a sieve for two of the past three seasons?

Aaron Rodgers is healthy and ready to regain his rightful place as the game's best quarterback. This team is poised to do big things, but ...

... the defense, at the least, has to be adequate. Green Bay added pass rusher Julius Peppers in free agency and safety Ha Ha Clinton-Dix in the draft. If the D can't hold up its end of the bargain, thePackers will need a new coordinator.

9) David DeCastro, offensive guard, Pittsburgh Steelers

Everyone once called DeCastro -- a steady, sturdy offensive guard from Stanford -- one of the safest picks of the 2012 NFL Draft. Well, a knee injury claimed his first season and poor play marred 2013.

Pittsburgh hired O-line guru Mike Munchak this offseason. DeCastro must live up to the billing.

Follow Adam Schein on Twitter @AdamSchein.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
Robert Griffin III, Sam Bradford among guys who must deliver
By Adam Schein/NFL Media columnist

It's go time.

As we get set for the unofficial start of summer this Memorial Day weekend, let's turn up the heat on some notable folks across the NFL.

No more underachievement. No more excuses. No more drama. It's time to put up or shut up.

Here's my Schein Nine on eight players -- and one coordinator -- who must take the next step forward in the 2014 season.

1) Robert Griffin III, quarterback, Washington Redskins

He won the power struggle with Mike Shanahan. Now RGIII needs to prove he's worth it.

For the most part, Griffin's rookie year in 2012 was flat-out majestic. But everything went south after RGIII injured his knee down the stretch, eventually blowing it out in a playoff loss to the Seattle Seahawks. This set off an overly aggressive -- and ill-fated -- "All in for Week 1"rehab effort. There was the way-too-public timeline for return, the impromptu press conferences and the eventual rush back to playing after barely practicing; it all led to a failed sophomore campaign. RGIII clearly wasn't healthy and never should've started the season under center for the Redskins.

Rock bottom came in December, when Griffin was publically embarrassed by Shanahan; the now ex-coach shut down his star pupil for the final three games of the regular season, handing the reins to backup quarterback Kirk Cousins. RGIII's reputation, on the field and in the locker room, took a major hit.

I love the appointment of Jay Gruden as the Redskins' new head man. Griffin would be wise to listen to his new coach. Griffin also would be wise to be wiser around the press and his teammates.

Was last season a blip or a trend? This is the year when we get an answer.

2) Trent Richardson, running back, Indianapolis Colts

I'm willing to give Richardson a semi-pass for last season. I'm sure his head was swimming after the stunning trade away from Cleveland. Suddenly, the second-year pro had to get acclimated to a new playbook (and new teammates) while simultaneously getting past the shock of being tossed aside by a franchise that had selected him with the No. 3 overall pick less than 17 months prior.

Of course, Richardson also had trouble staying on his feet, which is rather problematic for a running back. In 14 regular-season games with the Colts last year, he averaged 2.9 yards per carry. That's gross.

The guy has skills, and he's a nice fit in offensive coordinator Pep Hamilton's blue-collar offense. There is no excuse. It's not hyperbole to say Richardson's career is hanging in the balance. Which makes him similar to ...

3) Matthew Stafford, quarterback, Detroit Lions

Detroit rightly fired Jim Schwartz, replacing him with offensive/quarterback guru Jim Caldwell. The Lions then signed receiver Golden Taint in free agency. And in the first round of the 2014 NFL Draft, they eschewed many talented defenders -- wrongly, in my humble opinion -- to take tight end Eric Ebron. All of that was done for Stafford, a guy I seriously question.

The Lions quarterback makes suspect in-game decisions and throws too many picks. I don't think he's close to being elite. The time is now for Stafford to prove me wrong.

4) Sam Bradford, quarterback, St. Louis Rams
When it comes to this former No. 1 overall pick not living up to expectations, you can talk injuries or multiple offensive coordinators. You can reference poor offensive lines and receiving corps.

There's always an excuse for the Bradford apologists, but honestly, it's on Bradford himself. The quarterback hasn't been available, and when he has been on the field, he hasn't played great.

The Rams have talent and excellent coaching. In theory, Jeff Fisher's squad is ready to make a jump. Unfortunately, St. Louis plays in the NFC West -- the best division in the NFL. But hey, this is a results-based industry. If Bradford can't get this team over the hump in 2014, the Bradford era will be over in St. Louis. That's fair.

5)
Mike Wallace, wide receiver, Miami Dolphins

Wallace was never worth $60 million; the pact that brought him to Miami was a bad deal for the Dolphins. The purported crown jewel of last year's free agency crop, Wallace is a guy I first-guessedlong before pen hit paper. And he's one of the many reasons that Jeff Ireland is now a former general manager.

OK, in the interest of fairness, I'll point out that the raw statistics from Wallace's first year in Miami -- 73 catches for 930 yards and five touchdowns -- aren't catastrophic. But that's a shortsighted way to look at this. The truth is, Wallace did a lot of complaining last fall and came down with a case of the yips. While he isn't worth the money -- particularly the $27 million guaranteed -- Wallace is a much better player than what he showed last year. It's time to stop talking and start catching the ball.

6) Jay Cutler, quarterback, Chicago Bears

On the flip side, I really like the Jay Cutler-Marc Trestman marriage. Signing Cutler to a long-term contract was a no-brainer, as I wrote before the deal was consummated. I believe in Cutler. Now he needs to deliver.

GM Phil Emery was a wizard this offseason, locking up Cutler while vastly improving the defense via free agency and the draft. The offense is loaded with talent. Cutler must continue to work with Trestman and become the top-10 quarterback this organization is paying him to be. If he doesn't, the intensity in the football hotbed of Chicago -- and the heat from media nationwide -- will ratchet up quickly.

This team is ready for prime time. Cutler has to prove he can lead, dominate and get the Bears to the promised land.

7) Morris Claiborne, cornerback, Dallas Cowboys

When Claiborne was coming out of college, I thought he was going to be fantastic. So did the Cowboys, who traded up to take him with the No. 6 overall pick in the 2012 NFL Draft. He's been adequate, at best, and most certainly not an elite corner. In his first two NFL seasons, Claiborne's play has been spotty and he's battled a bevy of injuries.

Now, to be fair, I should note that Dallas' defense was a complete mess last season, as I touched on earlier this week. I fault former coordinator Monte Kiffin. Cowboys COO Stephen Jones understandably pointed a finger at the front seven on my SiriusXM Radio show, "Schein on Sports." But now, there's a new coordinator and new players up front. This defense, which ranked 30th against the pass, can significantly improve in 2014, but Claiborne has to take that next step. I expect it to happen.

8) Dom Capers, defensive coordinator, Green Bay Packers

I must admit, I am befuddled. I think Capers is a tremendous defensive football coach, and Green Bay has talent on that side of the ball. So why has this Packers unit been a sieve for two of the past three seasons?

Aaron Rodgers is healthy and ready to regain his rightful place as the game's best quarterback. This team is poised to do big things, but ...

... the defense, at the least, has to be adequate. Green Bay added pass rusher Julius Peppers in free agency and safety Ha Ha Clinton-Dix in the draft. If the D can't hold up its end of the bargain, thePackers will need a new coordinator.

9) David DeCastro, offensive guard, Pittsburgh Steelers

Everyone once called DeCastro -- a steady, sturdy offensive guard from Stanford -- one of the safest picks of the 2012 NFL Draft. Well, a knee injury claimed his first season and poor play marred 2013.

Pittsburgh hired O-line guru Mike Munchak this offseason. DeCastro must live up to the billing.

Follow Adam Schein on Twitter @AdamSchein.
Again, staying on the field wasn't mentioned in the Jay Cutler piece...yet Bradford falls under the injury prone category.
icon_rolleyes.gif

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
I think many have also forgotten that those two games were played in a five day span.
And that Isaiah Pead, Benny Cunningham and Daryl Richardson were the guys charged with running into the teeth of those defenses. Once that proved ineffective, they were just teeing off on Bradford. Successfully too, I might add.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
I think many have also forgotten that those two games were played in a five day span.

And that Isaiah Pead, Benny Cunningham and Daryl Richardson were the guys charged with running into the teeth of those defenses. Once that proved ineffective, they were just teeing off on Bradford. Successfully too, I might add.

Was anything on either side of the ball working for the Rams in those two games? IIRR the Rams couldn't have beat a decent college team if they played like they did against Dallas.

Boffo97

Still legal in 17 states!
Name
Dave
"4) Sam Bradford, quarterback, St. Louis Rams

There's always an excuse for the Bradford apologists"

WHOOSH!

See that thing, flying far far away? That's Mr. Schein's journalistic credibility.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
There is no reason Dalton should be on that list. Yeah he's had three bad post season games but that shouldn't over rule the rest of what he has done IMO. Plenty of young QB's struggled in the post season early on and as far as the Bengals not redoing his deal early that's bad work by the reporter. First off why would the Bengals redo a deal too early and second I believe he was signed under the new CBA which means (if memory serves) they cannot redo his deal until a certain time.

Anyway, Dalton isn't at a crossroads IMO.

They could have already signed him. New CBA isn't stopping them.

Dalton is on the list because he's played like a middle of the pack QB that can't get it done in the playoffs.