8 NFL QB's at career crossroads

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
There is no reason Dalton should be on that list. Yeah he's had three bad post season games but that shouldn't over rule the rest of what he has done IMO. Plenty of young QB's struggled in the post season early on and as far as the Bengals not redoing his deal early that's bad work by the reporter. First off why would the Bengals redo a deal too early and second I believe he was signed under the new CBA which means (if memory serves) they cannot redo his deal until a certain time.

Anyway, Dalton isn't at a crossroads IMO.

He needs to really reduce his turnovers. Most of the QBs on this list except Sam Bradford, Alex Smith, and Robert Griffin III all have turnover issue that puts their team in bad situations.

All of them are good QBs. Honestly this is just a stupid article. You aren't gonna get perfection at QB unless you have Peyton. They all have their strengths and weaknesses but you can win with any of them.

RaminExile

Hall of Fame
RFIP - I don't think I'm the only one who doesn't really know where you're going with this.

You're a noted Bradford supporter - so why would you want Sam to leave? You'd think this would hurt us? Dalton CERTAINLY would be a downgrade!

So is the suggestion to trade Sam for A.J. Green? If so, then who would throw A.J. the ball in STL? I'm not following this one...

I assume he wants him in Cincinnati with Green, you know so he'd have someone to throw to, but I'm putting words in his mouth.

BigRamFan

Super Bowl XXXVI was rigged!
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Craig
I assume he wants him in Cincinnati with Green, you know so he'd have someone to throw to, but I'm putting words in his mouth.
But, but, but...if Sam's in CIN he can't be in STL! I hate that "plan".

laramsoriginal

Starter
Dalton plays the majority of the season while sam does not.

Dalton may struggle in the post season but at least he helps his team make the playoffs.

I like sam but its about damn time he shows us something tangible. Rookie of the year award was nearly 4 years ago

max

Hall of Fame
Name
max
I've heard Kirwan talk about Dalton's contract many times and he believes those are the numbers Dalton's camp wants.

Come on Les, we both know how this ends for Sam in St Louis. The mob has gathered, only thing left us the lynching at this point.

Are you saying that Bradford won't get a fair shake this year in StL? Based on what? Fans booing him? Not having Watkins at WR? That's preposterous.

If the OL stays healthy, the running game will be strong, and the defense and STs should be outstanding. And you think Bradford can't play well under those condition because he doesn't have Sammy Watkins? Come on.

Think back on how well Tom Brady played early in his career with a bunch of pedestrian WRs. Are you saying Bradford can't play well under similar circumstances? He doesn't have to throw 40 TDs, SB just has to make clutch throws in critical situations like Brady did back then.

I have no doubt that the only way it ends badly for SB in StL is if he gets hurt again or stinks it up. This team is good enough now that it doesn't have to depend on SB putting up huge numbers to win. They just need him to be efficient. I guess you don't think he can do that just because he's in StL. Well, I say if he can't do it here NOW, then going to Cincy won't make a damn bit of difference.

NJRamsFan

Please Delete
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Why? What did they write about Bradford that any logical football mind wouldn't agree with?
Its not as much what they wrote imo, its that I think Sams struggles are over hyped by the media and unhappy fans. He was the offensive rookie of the year and has performed very well imo in spite of a sub par supporting cast. He was having a fantastic year last year and proved to me that he is fully capable of leading a team and being our franchise qb.

I agree that he has to stay healthy but I dont think he is fragile, that Carolina injury was just a freak (borderline dirty) play. I guess what im getting at is that Sam has already proven a lot more than he is given credit for to the people who actually watch every play.

Faceplant

Still celebrating Superbowl LVI
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Pick'em Champion
Man RFIP, are you so butthurt about the Rams not drafting Watkins that you are letting it sour you on the team? You certainly have been coming off more like a shit stirrer than an avid fan as of late. Too bad too, because I enjoyed your input before all this.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
I don't know that Bradford is set up to "light up" anything tbh. All I want to see from him is timely completions to keep drives going, a nice third down completion percentage from having a robust running game will get it done.

Ranking those QBs above in terms of how set up they are for success from a OC/knowledge and talent perspective:

1. Cutler. He's the last guy on that list I would take, personally. But he is surrounded by talent offensively and the scheme is very good pass-wise. He will have another strong season I think.

2. Stafford. Better offensive coaching will pair nicely with a very strong supporting cast. I expect a strong season from him too.

3. Tannehill. Comes down to how good Lazor is, and if he learned anything from Kelly Tannehill should be doing backflips. I think he has a chance to have a breakout year if the scheme is anything near as good as what I saw last year in Philly.

max

Hall of Fame
Name
max
Its not as much what they wrote imo, its that I think Sams struggles are over hyped by the media and unhappy fans. He was the offensive rookie of the year and has performed very well imo in spite of a sub par supporting cast. He was having a fantastic year last year and proved to me that he is fully capable of leading a team and being our franchise qb.

I agree that he has to stay healthy but I dont think he is fragile, that Carolina injury was just a freak (borderline dirty) play. I guess what im getting at is that Sam has already proven a lot more than he is given credit for to the people who actually watch every play.

I can't call it a fantastic year. Of the 7 games he played 2 of them were stinkers. He was especially bad against SF. I thought he played very well in about 3 of them. He really didn't play great against Jax or Atlanta. I thought he was just ok in those 2 games. But he probably showed his best stuff against Carolina before going down, so I think the arrow was pointing up for the rest of the year.

Funny thing happened after that though. I mean, even after he had probably his best game against Carolina, because he got hurt it put a damper on his play improving and the media and many fans forgot how he was trending up.

And you will notice that anytime there is an article out there professing to be an unbiased detailed evaluation of Bradford it never says anything about how he played in Carolina before going down. I believe Bradford's performance in Carolina has a lot to do with how Fisher and Snead view him. And that is a big reason why they are sticking with him this year.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
I like how they list Cutler right after he signed a huge deal. The Bears already made their determination.
Not only that but Cutler has missed his share of games due to injury. 13 games in the last 4 seasons to be exact. Is Cutler considered as "injury prone" as Bradford is by the masses? Hmmm...

fearsomefour

Legend
Not only that but Cutler has missed his share of games due to injury. 13 games in the last 4 seasons to be exact. Is Cutler considered as "injury prone" as Bradford is by the masses? Hmmm...
Perception is a funny thing. Very often once someone makes up their mind facts don't matter.
I remember asking one of my sons baseball coaches about throwing weighted baseballs up to 8 oz (a game ball is 5 oz). He responded no, throwing weighted balls cause injury. I then asked him how to build arm strength, he said throw a football ( which weighs more than 8 oz). Here is a guy who has an opinion but has put zero thought into it.
I never asked his opinion about anything again.

RFIP

I'm saying their flat out refusal to infuse the wr ranks with top talent FOR FIVE YEARS NOW is a dagger for any pocket passer.

LOL I just laugh at fate. Just what would be the career paths today of Dalton and Bradford had they been drafted by each other's current team?

I'd venture to say Sam would already be tripped for $18+ mil/ year and Dalton would be on a Ponder/Gabbery-type decent.

Ah fate, you SOB....

Are you saying that Bradford won't get a fair shake this year in StL? Based on what? Fans booing him? Not having Watkins at WR? That's preposterous.

If the OL stays healthy, the running game will be strong, and the defense and STs should be outstanding. And you think Bradford can't play well under those condition because he doesn't have Sammy Watkins? Come on.

Think back on how well Tom Brady played early in his career with a bunch of pedestrian WRs. Are you saying Bradford can't play well under similar circumstances? He doesn't have to throw 40 TDs, SB just has to make clutch throws in critical situations like Brady did back then.

I have no doubt that the only way it ends badly for SB in StL is if he gets hurt again or stinks it up. This team is good enough now that it doesn't have to depend on SB putting up huge numbers to win. They just need him to be efficient. I guess you don't think he can do that just because he's in StL. Well, I say if he can't do it here NOW, then going to Cincy won't make a damn bit of difference.

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
Dalton plays the majority of the season while sam does not.

Dalton may struggle in the post season but at least he helps his team make the playoffs.

I like sam but its about damn time he shows us something tangible. Rookie of the year award was nearly 4 years ago

Like leading the team with game winning drives? Check.

Making the games winnable, even in losses giving the team a shot at winning despite other factors (bad secondary, injuries to other players, etc)? Check.

Being one the best in the league in the redzone? Check.

Can out-fling a certain running QB with fun rhyming initials in a shootout? You know, the one media folk and PD morons think the Rams regret passing on? Check.

Rarely turns it over due to bad decisions? Check.

Actually give a shit about becoming better? Check.

Is actually becoming better rather than regressing or being stagnant? Check.

All while the roster is constantly being cut and replaced? Check.

IDK what people want with him, honestly. He's performed as well as any other QB.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Come on Les, we both know how this ends for Sam in St Louis. The mob has gathered, only thing left us the lynching at this point.

I think your disappointment of not getting the WR you anointed as Sam's savior is affecting your judgment RFIP. In this offense he is never going to be throwing the ball as much as you seem to think he would. What is holding him back, if anything, is scheme that will continue to be safe and plodding in its approach.

He HAS weapons man, just not the ones you want. That kind of drama is premature and is assuming he will fail simply because they haven't drafted the guy you want. Silliness. IMO if you sit back and be a fan of the team and quit acting like the kid that didn't get what he wanted on Christmas morning you'll get more out of it.

It's about WINS, not Sam's stats.

shaunpinney

Hall of Fame
Unfortunately for Sam, he's the last of the 'big contract draftees'. Not his fault and not the Rams, he's always going to have heat for (under)performing.

RFIP

The " in this offense he won't be throwing the ball much.." Thing is wearing thin.

EVERY GOOD OFFENSE HAS TO BE ABLE TO THROW THE BALL IN THE FINAL MINUTES OF HALFS AND GAMES. (Not yelling at you just stating facts)

And I do not believe in any way shape or form are our wrs up to getting up, winning, and holding on to balls in these situations.

I think your disappointment of not getting the WR you anointed as Sam's savior is affecting your judgment RFIP. In this offense he is never going to be throwing the ball as much as you seem to think he would. What is holding him back, if anything, is scheme that will continue to be safe and plodding in its approach.

He HAS weapons man, just not the ones you want. That kind of drama is premature and is assuming he will fail simply because they haven't drafted the guy you want. Silliness. IMO if you sit back and be a fan of the team and quit acting like the kid that didn't get what he wanted on Christmas morning you'll get more out of it.

It's about WINS, not Sam's stats.