OFFICIAL 2023 season ending thread

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams ran in to a buzz saw yesterday and could have wilted under the pressure.
They didnt
Felt like they were losing by 40 and yet they were only down 4 at the half.
Losing sucks, no 2 ways about it. Hard to take solace in anything but surely can be proud of a team who took Detroit's best shots (literally and figuratively) and kept getting up off the mat and fighting back

Psycho_X

Legend
Rams ran in to a buzz saw yesterday and could have wilted under the pressure.
They didnt
Felt like they were losing by 40 and yet they were only down 4 at the half.
Losing sucks, no 2 ways about it. Hard to take solace in anything but surely can be proud of a team who took Detroit's best shots (literally and figuratively) and kept getting up off the mat and fighting back
Yeah I was telling the people I was watching with that the Rams just had to stay in the game to get past the adrenaline and hype the Lions had from the beginning. I expected the Lions to tire themselves out in the second half after that adrenaline wore off. Was mostly true but we couldn't overcome ourselves and the refs unfortunately.

I like Rams

Hall of Fame
I wish I could agree with you on this. But I feel protective of the defensive side in regard to how difficult a job it is to tackle in today's league. Feels like banning low tackles would make defenses much worse.

For myself I've always said once this league gets to full flag football, which feels inevitable in this age of fear and nitpicking, that I'll be watching something else. Still feel that way. So again wish I could agree because I'm sick for Higs on this one.
I see where you're coming from, but Higbee's a big dude with alot of real estate to make a successful tackle bw his hips and knees. Going for the knees only screams "dirty" to me.

snackdaddy

Who's your snackdaddy?
Name
Charlie
This offseason will not feel like last offseason. They did well in the draft. And now they have resources to fill immediate needs. We do need guys that can step up against single blockers when Donald is double or triple teamed. We need a couple better DB's. Maybe some extra depth on the offensive line. A legit backup at quarterback instead of those inaccurate noodle arms they've had.

As far as our pending free agents Dotson needs to be re-signed. Would like to bring Robinson back. Jackson is a RFA. Gotta tender him so we don't lose him. The rest would only be depth/role player guys. If they leave no big deal. Or return at a team friendly price. They are replaceable.

Last night it was disappointing because he had a real shot at the end. But looking at the season as a whole, we have to be happy with the development of a lot of young guys. We should have a legit playoff team from the beginning next year. Maybe even another deep run.

DeaconJones

Rookie
It was a pretty good game. Three one-point games in a row! Aside from potential bad or missing calls, the naked truth is we had nothing for them in the red zone. That troubles me because we had our full O-line and most/all of our main weapons available and Matthew Stafford.

If we run this back next year, what can we have or do that makes us better there? I don’t see any clear answer. Do we need to hit the jackpot again like we did this year with Puka?

Happy to see the D hold off the Lions in the second half and the promise is there. We can be hopeful that the D will be improved by draft picks and/or free agent signings now that we have cash to spend.

At the start of the year, I felt like most people: 7-10 probably with potential up to 10-7 with above average health. We had pretty good health overall but still exceeded expectations due to Puka, Kobie, etc. The O-line had injuries but never too many at once so had pretty good continuity. I think their pass blocking against the Lions was the best we’ve seen all year.

Get the special teams sorted out and we will have a great chance next year. Go Rams!

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
It was a pretty good game. Three one-point games in a row! Aside from potential bad or missing calls, the naked truth is we had nothing for them in the red zone. That troubles me because we had our full O-line and most/all of our main weapons available and Matthew Stafford.
I hate to say this but I don't think our weapons are all that great. It's the Nacua show in the pass game, and the Williams show in the run game. So it's a good offense but not elite in terms of the pieces. But an offense that lacks speed and explosive playmaking ability.

Kupp hasn't been his usual self. He's not the guy who can get open in a phone box this year. Hoping that's an injury thing where he just needs time to heal up and work back but there is no real threat there with him in terms of the defense being worried. He is rather easily removed of late.

Higs is a balance type TE not a guy who is a big pass game threat. He isn't tough to cover if you are focused on him. Guys like him get open because he blocks and you can lose him. I mean compare him to LaPorta who is a receiving game weapon and it's night and day.

Robinson's a third threat type and not a bad one but he's not a real big threat. Pedestrian speed and risk for a defense in coverage. Tutu does make the occasional play but then disappears.

The moment Williams went out our offense was less potent. You can see it. This year's group had to use balance to elevate their scoring potential. It's not a group that is going to light up a good defense with explosive matchups.

So for next year if we can get Kupp back to at least close to the guy he used to be, and then on top of that add another pass game threat in that X role, without our OL going backwards again due to FA... We should be pretty good. Definitely top ten, maybe top 5. Add a good RB pick to back up Williams then top 5 looks more likely. Allen with a second camp under his belt emerging as an upgrade over Higs which is possible would make that better.

But a lot of the potency of this unit is Stafford and McVay effect IMO. Which would be fine if we had top defense quality on the other side but we don't.

Ramstien

Hall of Fame
Name
Ramstien
I have to say toward the end of the season Allen has shown some promise. Higbee is old school and I kind of like that, when he gets healthy, he will probably be the starter again.

Jacobarch

Hall of Fame
Name
Jake
I hate to say this but I don't think our weapons are all that great. It's the Nacua show in the pass game, and the Williams show in the run game. So it's a good offense but not elite in terms of the pieces. But an offense that lacks speed and explosive playmaking ability.

Kupp hasn't been his usual self. He's not the guy who can get open in a phone box this year. Hoping that's an injury thing where he just needs time to heal up and work back but there is no real threat there with him in terms of the defense being worried. He is rather easily removed of late.

Higs is a balance type TE not a guy who is a big pass game threat. He isn't tough to cover if you are focused on him. Guys like him get open because he blocks and you can lose him. I mean compare him to LaPorta who is a receiving game weapon and it's night and day.

Robinson's a third threat type and not a bad one but he's not a real big threat. Pedestrian speed and risk for a defense in coverage. Tutu does make the occasional play but then disappears.

The moment Williams went out our offense was less potent. You can see it. This year's group had to use balance to elevate their scoring potential. It's not a group that is going to light up a good defense with explosive matchups.

So for next year if we can get Kupp back to at least close to the guy he used to be, and then on top of that add another pass game threat in that X role, without our OL going backwards again due to FA... We should be pretty good. Definitely top ten, maybe top 5. Add a good RB pick to back up Williams then top 5 looks more likely. Allen with a second camp under his belt emerging as an upgrade over Higs which is possible would make that better.

But a lot of the potency of this unit is Stafford and McVay effect IMO. Which would be fine if we had top defense quality on the other side but we don't.

Rams were 11th in big time plays this year. Stafford was #1 or #2 in big time throws...Your assessment of explosive plays doesn't stack up if you're actually comparing it to other NFL teams. Being top 10 is good enough, sure there's always room for improvement but this team is stacked and it's only going to get better in 24'.

Robinson has been great since Tutu's injury and he never gave the spot back. He's a 3rd or 4th WR and it really doesn't get better when comparing numbers since week 8 or 9 since he started. I'd like to see a #3 WR who put up better numbers than Robinson since week 8. I'll wait...

Higs is a good all around talent. I'll agree with you on this one. However, Davis Allen looks like the real deal. Everything I've seen thrown his way this season, he catches, and he runs great routes. Look for that kid to have a year next year.

Show me a team that isn't less potent when their Star #1 RB goes out of the game? Even the Lions with their two headed RB monster is less potent when they have their #2 in. Because Gibbs is mostly an outside runner, so you can game plan for that. There's a reason teams have #1's and 2's.

Agree with you about the Oline and not going backwards due to FA. It would be a bummer to lose Dobson to FA, that kid is a monster. If anything we need to upgrade @ C or LT, I'd be fine with either one but upgrading both in one offseason is a tall task. I'll say this tho, for as much shit as I talk about boom I'm glad we have him as a backup, he's definitely a very valuable piece to have.

The real litmus test for this team will be Defense next year. The probability of losing Morris might be a bigger hit on this team than many are realizing, not to mention you know some of his assistants are going to follow him to wherever he goes. On the flip side of that if McVay thinks we have our heir apparent already waiting on the coaching staff then I trust his judgement. What I don't want is a guy to come in with a completely different philosophy and having to rebuild from square one. Again, I doubt McVay goes that route but you never know.
What I don't want to see is DT's/DE's covering Great TE's or WR's which we all saw the result of that this season. Even the Lions exploited that yesterday, and every time I see it my hair gets a little more grey.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Rams were 11th in big time plays this year. Stafford was #1 or #2 in big time throws...Your assessment of explosive plays doesn't stack up if you're actually comparing it to other NFL teams. Being top 10 is good enough, sure there's always room for improvement but this team is stacked and it's only going to get better in 24'.
It's good enough to you. But you're not the one who will be making the decisions on what is good enough. That is McVay in combination with Snead.

I'm just trying to project what McVay is going to want, which I presume is explosive talent added to this WR group. Because if you go player by player we lack that. We have a top gameplanner in McVay and a top QB in Stafford so they can get by with less than some other HC/QB combos and get good production. But that doesn't mean it's going to be enough for McVay.

And it's the same thing on defense. Limiting explosives is coverage/rush combination. And their needs on that side of the ball are longer than just that. So to put this in order for the team priority I'd go something like this...

1. Edge/Corner. Simply because we are so bad that improving this gives us the biggest gains for the team. Covers explosives limitation for the defense. We lack tackling and coverage at corner. We lack speed and rush threat off the edge.

2. WR (X). With Kupp aging and the lack of speed in our wideout group this is a very big need. Explosives for the offense.

3. OL. Ensuring Stafford is protected is crucial. There is a lot of room for creativity in how they stack this group but if they get Dotson inked it ensures the "floor" is pretty damn good. LT has to fall in their lap in the draft I think for that to get done. Might have problems getting Jackson sorted, i.e. he might decide to hold out who knows. Might be they just ink Dotson and spend a 4th rounder on a C so this one is very hard to predict but they gotta ensure a certain level this time around. More the QB can hold the ball the more chances you get for those key gainers.

4. DL. Better rotation depth and another big body required. Gotta be able to hold up in the trenches in the playoffs.

5. Safety. Feels like we need at least one for the pairing. We lack guys who can tackle so a good safety could really bump this defense.

6. Kicker. Please God.

7. Backup RB. Better answer for if Williams goes down.

8. Punt returner. This would be made even better if we could get some lane production by return teams blocking to actually be able to catch and return one here and there too. But this problem is a bottom of the roster priority issue and we need a better ST coach IMO.

And so on.

FrantikRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
the defense did enough to give us a chance at the end.

But he isn't wrong in saying the defense had a horrific 1st half.. because it was like 248 yards and 21 pts.

However, the D got us the ball back with 7 min left - that was the time to win and we couldn't do it.

That was the ball game.

I feel like I'm in the twilight zone lol. The defense didn't just get us the ball back with 7 min left. Starting with one minute to go in the first half, after EVERY Detroit possession they got the offense the ball back down by 7 or less. EVERY SINGLE POSSESSION of the second half the offense had the ball with a chance to tie or take the lead and they failed every time.

FrantikRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
It's good enough to you. But you're not the one who will be making the decisions on what is good enough. That is McVay in combination with Snead.

I'm just trying to project what McVay is going to want, which I presume is explosive talent added to this WR group. Because if you go player by player we lack that. We have a top gameplanner in McVay and a top QB in Stafford so they can get by with less than some other HC/QB combos and get good production. But that doesn't mean it's going to be enough for McVay.

And it's the same thing on defense. Limiting explosives is coverage/rush combination. And their needs on that side of the ball are longer than just that. So to put this in order for the team priority I'd go something like this...

1. Edge/Corner. Simply because we are so bad that improving this gives us the biggest gains for the team. Covers explosives limitation for the defense. We lack tackling and coverage at corner. We lack speed and rush threat off the edge.

2. WR (X). With Kupp aging and the lack of speed in our wideout group this is a very big need. Explosives for the offense.

3. OL. Ensuring Stafford is protected is crucial. There is a lot of room for creativity in how they stack this group but if they get Dotson inked it ensures the "floor" is pretty damn good. LT has to fall in their lap in the draft I think for that to get done. Might have problems getting Jackson sorted, i.e. he might decide to hold out who knows. Might be they just ink Dotson and spend a 4th rounder on a C so this one is very hard to predict but they gotta ensure a certain level this time around. More the QB can hold the ball the more chances you get for those key gainers.

4. DL. Better rotation depth and another big body required. Gotta be able to hold up in the trenches in the playoffs.

5. Safety. Feels like we need at least one for the pairing. We lack guys who can tackle so a good safety could really bump this defense.

6. Kicker. Please God.

7. Backup RB. Better answer for if Williams goes down.

8. Punt returner. This would be made even better if we could get some lane production by return teams blocking to actually be able to catch and return one here and there too. But this problem is a bottom of the roster priority issue and we need a better ST coach IMO.

And so on.

Exactly how I see it. Will be interesting to see what we can fill in FA - I think it might make sense to just try to retain everyone with our cap dollars this year and then continue building through the draft. BPA between EDGE/CB/WR/OL with our first few picks. I'd prefer a vet CB but not sure that will be possible

FrantikRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Morris made some adjustments and we began to give some resistance but it wasn’t soon enough. Brutal first half defensively.

The red zone was frustrating but the big plays kept us in it. Stafford and Nacua gutted this motherfucker out. Made the plays.

I don't get this so I did the math just to prove the point here.

The Lions scored: 31, 20, 42, 26, 31, 22, 42, and 30 points in their home games for an average of 30 points per game. Only two teams held them to less points than we did all season. We held them to 6 points under their average.

And more than that - if someone came to us and said you'll hold Detroit to 24 and there will be ZERO special teams issues, what would you have put the odds of us winning at? 100% for me.

Their offense was their strength, defense their weakness. For us to hold them under their average is outstanding. For them to hold our offense under OUR average is a complete and utter failure by the offense.

dang

Legend
Let’s be respectful to each other folks. Celebrate and vent with class my Rams brothers.

I thought the no calls in the second half were shady. I can appreciate letting them play a bit more in the post season but a couple of those (roughing on Stafford and holding Nacua) were clearly home town BS.

But as a whole, our D wasn’t good enough to overcome that horrific first half.

For anyone who cares, Stafford outplayed Goff, Nacua outplayed Amon-Rah. Our offensive guys were better. No surprise there.

The Lions won in the trenches. Period.

We’re just a few pieces away from the mountain top again. I cannot fucking wait for next season.

The Rams almost got it done tonight. I love this team. Fuck the rest.
Agreed on all points with one adjustment:
As a whole, our O wasn’t good enough to overcome that horrific first half by the D.

dang

Legend
If you would have told most of us that we were going to score 23 before the game.

We'd have said that's not enough.
I declared the magic number as 31. That was very attainable with settling for 3 FGs in red zone.

FrantikRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Also.....fuck the Lions.

They were playing borderline dirty the whole game....only team I'll be rooting for them to beat is the Niners and I can't wait for them to lose.

dang

Legend
I have to say toward the end of the season Allen has shown some promise. Higbee is old school and I kind of like that, when he gets healthy, he will probably be the starter again.
All respect for Higs and hope for a full recovery. However, for the good of the Rams offensive potency I hope the Rams find a better option (Allen or Draft Pick) next year.

iamme33

Pro Bowler
Name
dan
mighty fine season. according to ram fans we get screwed every time we losei i don't feel that way. oh well this year went far better than i expected. go rams get ready for next year

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
Exactly how I see it. Will be interesting to see what we can fill in FA - I think it might make sense to just try to retain everyone with our cap dollars this year and then continue building through the draft. BPA between EDGE/CB/WR/OL with our first few picks. I'd prefer a vet CB but not sure that will be possible

I’ll TOTALLY disagree with you both on a lot of things.

The Rams just posted highlights of the game !!!
I’ll say Sean Mcvay had trouble sleeping last night & will for awhile.At least until The Superbowl is over .

—The Rams were playing as good as anybody & that’s a FACT !! We can go down that road if you want to.

I was WRONG about Player Personnel,but that’s on Raheem in away ? Hope he gets a HC job.Either way though The Rams will benefit.Getting a Comp Pick would be nice.

Speaking of Picks I’ll go with bringing The Offensive Line back.That group was really gelling.

Ronnie Rivers,Tutu Atwell & Davis Allen all had very good games.It will be a Treat to Watch there Development!!

I’d say a CB is very much needed.Kendrick might done ?
He sort of became to much & disappointing finishing to the season.Cobie Turner isn’t a cover CB at all. Whiterspoon is a FA ?

I feel a Sideline to Sideline MLB(inside) is needed.Rosebom played well at times,but he is more of a special teams depth guy.Having him as a starter hurt the special teams play.

A Edge Rusher is always needed.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
All respect for Higs and hope for a full recovery. However, for the good of the Rams offensive potency I hope the Rams find a better option (Allen or Draft Pick) next year.

Long actually would have been nice depth.Davis Allen is the whole package. Why they didn’t feed him in the REDZONE stunk.