OFFICIAL 2023 NFL trades, cuts, free agents, and more

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ram_Rally

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
The Rams only saved $13.6M in 2023 by moving Ramsey, Floyd and Wagner. BUT, they cleared $61.2M off the books in 2024 with these moves. That, my friends, was the Rams' goal.

That's a lot of cap room coming.
And more to come

Merlin

Damn the torpedoes
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Counting on Boom to stay healthy was definitely a mistake. I'm still undecided on Robinson, although Jordan did say that was an emotional decision. Bruss was just bad luck.
Yeah I think they can get Robinson going. Just get his head right with the scheme and the rest should follow. Then they have the option to trade his ass at the deadline this season to help us finish the roster in the offseason.

If they draft a TE who will give them a shot in the arm in the pass game, i.e. a guy like LaPorta or Kraft, then the slot will be spoken for next season. So I think Robinson will be moved at some point but that might be limited by contract numbers to be next offseason or whatever.

blackbart

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
Am I the only one who hates the "it's all for 2024" shit? Like, what? We're supposed to be OK with punting a season away?
Right there with you, brother. Add in the “But we won the SB 2 years ago” junk for me.

No one happier than me to win it but having a losing record is never ok with me.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
Agreed. I’m just surprised it’s happening with AD, Stafford and Kupp still around. Heck, I’m shocked McVay is cool taking a step back and playing the longer game versus one year at a time.
It’s a rinse and repeat 3-5 year plan. At least we have McVay for another cycle.

blackbart

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
Sorry guys, we know you’re getting up there in age and probably only have 2 or 3 years left. We have to keep someone around so people will buy tickets and we thought you were our best options. Just try not to get hurt this year and we promise the following year we’ll actually try to win some games. You know how it goes, this is our down cycle year. :eyeroll:

dang

Legend
Agreed. I’m just surprised it’s happening with AD, Stafford and Kupp still around. Heck, I’m shocked McVay is cool taking a step back and playing the longer game versus one year at a time.
My opinion (and it’s only an opinion) is now that McVay has tasted a Super Bowl win - anything less is unacceptable. Staying the course this year may have gotten the Rams into a wild card playoff slot but nowhere near Super Bowl contenders level. So he’s taking the quickest route to get back to Super Bowl contender level by dumping players who make a lot of money but are declining. As a Rams fan I’d rather have a below average team this year then reload over next couple years than have an average team for the next 4+ years.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Sorry guys, we know you’re getting up there in age and probably only have 2 or 3 years left. We have to keep someone around so people will buy tickets and we thought you were our best options. Just try not to get hurt this year and we promise the following year we’ll actually try to win some games. You know how it goes, this is our down cycle year. :eyeroll:
"The beatings will continue until morale approves...." ~ Someone at ROD

Flatlyner

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Survivor Champion
Don't worry guys, I peaked at the expected free agents in 2024. The whole plan is to sign Burrow and Tunsil in 2024. I hope?

bubbaramfan

Legend
Camp Reporter
Awkward The Simpsons GIF

PARAM

Hall of Fame
The Rams only saved $13.6M in 2023 by moving Ramsey, Floyd and Wagner. BUT, they cleared $61.2M off the books in 2024 with these moves. That, my friends, was the Rams' goal.

That's a lot of cap room coming.
Absolutely. And you know what else? They really don't have to wait until 2024 to spend it. Of course they may choose to wait. But what would knock Ram fans on their ears? If they went out and got somebody unexpected. You never know.

Flatlyner

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Survivor Champion
I was thinking Andrew Thomas or Jedrick Wills.
I could be on board with that. So Burrow and A.Thomas. I like it. I suppose you could substitute Herbert for Burrow and I'd be ok also.

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
I could be on board with that. So Burrow and A.Thomas. I like it. I suppose you could substitute Herbert for Burrow and I'd be ok also.
Probably won't need Burrow after drafting Caleb Williams with the #1 overall draft pick, ... and if we keep going the way we have been, it seems possible.

PhillyRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Scott
I'm not questioning the trade for him or paying him. Decline happens in this league and I'm actually impressed with how they handled Ramsey this offseason. It will pay off down the road when we're not holding that bag. He helped us win a title so all good.

But I also think they've made a lot of mistakes of late that expedited this offseason. If for example Boom had stayed healthy and locked it down at LT things would have been different. Same with Robinson. Same with Bruss being able to lock down RG. And so on.

What's a shame is that they actually got good production from Wagner but realized they don't want to tie money up in ILB and want to recoup value in the ILB they drafted and believe in. Which goes back to the signing being a mistake for purpose of vision and that's a bad sign. Shows they were busy celebrating that offseason and maybe not focused in how they should have been which I don't blame them for but that was an unnecessary load on top of everything else.
Wagner seemed to be about trying to run it back by adding a defensive leader/ playmaker after Miller moved on.

Had the offense stayed healthy, he would have helped them get to the postseason.

Unfortunately with a decimated offense his presence had no impact.

majrleaged

Hall of Fame
I hate it too because it's not accurate. It's also about moving guys who are not living up to their contracts. That is the Rams way under McVay. They pay out the cash but they move your ass if you don't live up to it.

Where you run into problems is when you're moving multiple disappointments. Rams have made a lot of mistakes of late in that regard, more than usual, and it expedited the cleanup.
None of those 3 were mistakes. All did what was asked of them and did it very well.

FrantikRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Yeah I was gonna mention the OL caused those two injuries about got tired of typing on my phone.

I still dream of our young guys making a huge leap + having the greatest draft ever + AD/Stafford/Kupp being all pros = a SB win this year (dream yes indeed). That’ll get me thru until the 2024 season.

It's not that far fetched.

Kupp and AD are virtual locks for being all pros. Stafford less likely, but your overall point is that he plays like he did two years ago I think. That is very possible as well.

It all hinges on the OL - and the things is, if you look at 2019, it was bad because of injuries but once that stabilized, the Rams with an interior of: a rookie fifth rounder, Blythe and Corbett completely stabilized for the last five games or so.

Corbett was brand new and Blythe was awful, yet McVay made it work with consistency. So despite the seeming lack of overall talent on the OL, let's just assume that we have better injury luck and have a semblance of a run game....i.e. Akers finally puts together a full season.

Kupp/Jefferson/Atwell/Sko are a fine quartet of WRs when you factor that we have the best WR in the league. Look at what he was doing last year before getting hurt.

That assumes we draft nothing for the OL, and invest in pass rushers, ILB, CB, etc. With a good draft our defense could be an average unit, and if the OL stabilizes or just even returns to the form it was in 2020 when we could run the damn ball - this is a 12 win team.

rdlkgliders

"AKA" Hugo Bezdek
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Don
Probably won't need Burrow after drafting Caleb Williams with the #1 overall draft pick, ... and if we keep going the way we have been, it seems possible.
The tank for Caleb is a bit of a running joke here but man, if you could get a player like that.
I like him more than Mahomes at the same stage and really can't remember a QB that dynamic.
My only concern is he holds the ball and we all know you can't get away with that in the NFL unless, of course, you are the aforementioned MR Mahomes

fanotodd

Diehard
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Fanotodd
I believe that it was on the 11 Personnel podcast. They said many teams are interested in Ashawn and he is projected to get around 12 million per year.

I thought it was odd. Ashawn is basically just a run stuffer who played with AD, which makes his job easier. Plus he was injured last season. Is he really that coveted?

Gaines was injured this season too. Maybe teams are leery of his health?

Forget about last year. Go back and watch the post season of ‘21. ARob was a frikkin beast against the run. He was a huge reason in the Rams defense doing what they did to win that Lombardi.

Status
Not open for further replies.