OFFICIAL 2023 NFL trades, cuts, free agents, and more

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.
Status
Not open for further replies.

thirteen28

I like pizza.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Erik
I hate it too because it's not accurate. It's also about moving guys who are not living up to their contracts. That is the Rams way under McVay. They pay out the cash but they move your ass if you don't live up to it.

Where you run into problems is when you're moving multiple disappointments. Rams have made a lot of mistakes of late in that regard, more than usual, and it expedited the cleanup.

That's partially true, but the word is that the FO were kind of always planning on this with respect to guys like Ramsey. I'd say he's lived up to his contract for the most part, and I don't think it was a mistake to extend him the way they did when they did. They apparently knew it would come to this and accepted it as a cost of doing business (particularly after the haul they gave up to get him).

Lunchbox

Starter
Name
LunchBox
I fear these decisions might be the right move at this time, although many of us are 70 years old or more, and many more are approaching these years, we really want to see our team back on top again.
I don't see it as the Rams 'tanking', although I don't know what the proper word would be for one category or ranking above that.
I'm one of those (67) years old) and would like to see the Rams be competitive every season, but a one year reboot doesn't scare me. We should be able to compete with all but the very best teams in 2023 if our draft goes well. Certainly better than we did in 2022.
I'm glad our FO isn't afraid to make the difficult decisions necessary to get us back on track.

FarNorth

Hall of Fame
People also complain about draft picks while Holmes was director of scouting and then turn around and talk about how Snead sucks and Holmes is better. Even with Holmes being a part of a lot of Sneads drafts.
Agree people inconsistently complain about Snead when Holmes was on board. Imo they're both very capable guys. They also have had powerful head coaches who have had a lot to say about draft picks. So there is shared credit and blame.

If I had to choose between them, right now I would take Holmes. Maybe just because he has a lot more to work with at the moment. And his end of the Stafford-Goff trade is looking like a key to turning the Lions around. Both sides got what they wanted in the deal.

Holmes has already made some astute moves right now in free agency for Detroit. https://theathletic.com/4309808/2023/03/15/lions-nfl-free-agency-cornerback/. The real test will be to see what he can do with 5 top 80 picks.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
Am I the only one who hates the "it's all for 2024" shit? Like, what? We're supposed to be OK with punting a season away?
We have to accept that it is the Rams philosophy for having a winning organization.

In McVays first year his big acquisition was Whitworth. Then they made it to the SB in 2018.

In 2019 they had a down year. Then in 2020 they traded for Ramsey, then in 2021 traded for Stafford. This reset was slated for next offseason but the injuries seem to have made them think it’s time to go back to 2017 and start over.

As long as McVay and Snead are here I’d say we have to get used to this rinse and repeat strategy every 3-5 years.

If it keeps working, then people will look back and think man the Rams have been in a lot of Super Bowls over the years. A down year here and there will be insignificant.

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
Now? I think they established that as soon as they announced Wagners cut.

Established ? I don't think so.
While the Rams certainly knew where they were heading, the Wagner cut could have easily taken us in another direction with several other options still available, but we fans weren't privy to their ultimate plans. For those posters who stated at the time of Wagner's dismissal that a complete purge was forthcoming, then I congratulate them.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
This is the summary of Jourdan’s article on the Ramsey trade:
6D4F0311-AB0B-49D1-861D-BA8404AF3131.jpeg

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Agree people inconsistently complain about Snead when Holmes was on board. Imo they're both very capable guys. They also have had powerful head coaches who have had a lot to say about draft picks. So there is shared credit and blame.

If I had to choose between them, right now I would take Holmes. Maybe just because he has a lot more to work with at the moment. And his end of the Stafford-Goff trade is looking like a key to turning the Lions around. Both sides got what they wanted in the deal.

Holmes has already made some astute moves right now in free agency for Detroit. https://theathletic.com/4309808/2023/03/15/lions-nfl-free-agency-cornerback/. The real test will be to see what he can do with 5 top 80 picks.
Right now Lions fans are overall very happy with the direction of the franchise from what I read. Though they're not happy that Williams wasn't retained.

Ram Ts

Hall of Fame
Am I the only one who hates the "it's all for 2024" shit? Like, what? We're supposed to be OK with punting a season away?
It’s a bit odd to me because last year’s destruction was the crazy OL injuries. Fix that, or just not have the worst OL injury luck in history, and things are way different.

There’s only so long that Stafford, AD and Kupp will remain elite. These years are precious.

PhillyRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Scott
The Rams only saved $13.6M in 2023 by moving Ramsey, Floyd and Wagner. BUT, they cleared $61.2M off the books in 2024 with these moves. That, my friends, was the Rams' goal.

That's a lot of cap room coming.
That was clear by moving all of them. If they just cared about this yr they wouldnt have moved all of them and would have just done enough to get under the cap and restructured Kupp right away.

It's a course correction of the cap. They got the ring, now clean up the mess that was made when they baked that cake, and now start gathering the ingredients to make another one.

FarNorth

Hall of Fame
Right now Lions fans are overall very happy with the direction of the franchise from what I read. Though they're not happy that Williams wasn't retained.
Williams had a fabulous year scoring I think 15 short yardage TDs and 1000 yards. That's tremendous production. No wonder the fans love him. But David Montgomery is apparently an even more capable (and younger) back, can match Williams for power but do more both as a runner and receiver. And the CBs look like smart pickups for Detroit, though I'm sure they will still draft a top CB.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
It’s a bit odd to me because last year’s destruction was the crazy OL injuries. Fix that, or just not have the worst OL injury luck in history, and things are way different.

There’s only so long that Stafford, AD and Kupp will remain elite. These years are precious.
Yes. They were still SB contenders if the team stayed healthy. It could be reasoned that Oline injuries led to Stafford’s and even Kupp’s injuries.

Merlin

Damn the torpedoes
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
That's partially true, but the word is that the FO were kind of always planning on this with respect to guys like Ramsey. I'd say he's lived up to his contract for the most part, and I don't think it was a mistake to extend him the way they did when they did. They apparently knew it would come to this and accepted it as a cost of doing business (particularly after the haul they gave up to get him).
I'm not questioning the trade for him or paying him. Decline happens in this league and I'm actually impressed with how they handled Ramsey this offseason. It will pay off down the road when we're not holding that bag. He helped us win a title so all good.

But I also think they've made a lot of mistakes of late that expedited this offseason. If for example Boom had stayed healthy and locked it down at LT things would have been different. Same with Robinson. Same with Bruss being able to lock down RG. And so on.

What's a shame is that they actually got good production from Wagner but realized they don't want to tie money up in ILB and want to recoup value in the ILB they drafted and believe in. Which goes back to the signing being a mistake for purpose of vision and that's a bad sign. Shows they were busy celebrating that offseason and maybe not focused in how they should have been which I don't blame them for but that was an unnecessary load on top of everything else.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
A few of us have been saying for a few years that the kicking the can down the road payroll philosophy can't be maintained forever. It eventually will need a reset as we see the Rams doing now. And before anybody brings up the Saints how are they doing lately? Next year they're already over the cap $117 million and have close to $50 million of that as cap hits for people not even signed for that year including Winston and Cam Jordan. Under .500 the last two years and haven't competed in a Super Bowl since 2009.

It sucks that the Rams had to let those guys go but it doesn't mean we're intentionally as a club trying to be bad. Nobody expected us to win it in 2021 hell most "experts" and fans ranked us 3rd in our own division. It's a shame Rams fans are already writing off their team so soon.

Ram Ts

Hall of Fame
Yes. They were still SB contenders if the team stayed healthy. It could be reasoned that Oline injuries led to Stafford’s and even Kupp’s injuries.
Yeah I was gonna mention the OL caused those two injuries about got tired of typing on my phone.

I still dream of our young guys making a huge leap + having the greatest draft ever + AD/Stafford/Kupp being all pros = a SB win this year (dream yes indeed). That’ll get me thru until the 2024 season.

Ram Ts

Hall of Fame
A few of us have been saying for a few years that the kicking the can down the road payroll philosophy can't be maintained forever. It eventually will need a reset as we see the Rams doing now. And before anybody brings up the Saints how are they doing lately? Next year they're already over the cap $117 million and have close to $50 million of that as cap hits for people not even signed for that year including Winston and Cam Jordan. Under .500 the last two years and haven't competed in a Super Bowl since 2009.

It sucks that the Rams had to let those guys go but it doesn't mean we're intentionally as a club trying to be bad. Nobody expected us to win it in 2021 hell most "experts" and fans ranked us 3rd in our own division. It's a shame Rams fans are already writing off their team so soon.
Agreed. I’m just surprised it’s happening with AD, Stafford and Kupp still around. Heck, I’m shocked McVay is cool taking a step back and playing the longer game versus one year at a time.

thirteen28

I like pizza.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Erik
But I also think they've made a lot of mistakes of late that expedited this offseason. If for example Boom had stayed healthy and locked it down at LT things would have been different. Same with Robinson. Same with Bruss being able to lock down RG. And so on.

Counting on Boom to stay healthy was definitely a mistake. I'm still undecided on Robinson, although Jordan did say that was an emotional decision. Bruss was just bad luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.