OFFICIAL 2023 NFL trades, cuts, free agents, and more

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member

Report: Bucs to interview Kentucky offensive coordinator Liam Coen​

Not a fan of Liam as a coordinator at the NFL level. He had some shit stacked against him in his window with us, but the offense was lifeless and Baker's desire to ensure he has an OC from the McVay tree might have led the Bucs to the wrong candidate.

I suspect how this will go down is the offense will struggle, and Mayfield will be under extra pressure to perform with his new contract that will certainly overpay him, leading to additional turnovers and losses. Which if it happens that way means Bowles will hopefully get a long look by McVay after his firing. Since I think chances are Shula will either be great and get hired away, or be terrible and get replaced, either of which would create an opening for us to benefit from that HC>DC demotion bounceback effect and get ourselves a DC who is battle tested in big games.

But since I do like Baker and also Bowles I do wish the Bucs the best. Within reason of course, that being the moment they face us in the playoffs assuming they can get there. Of which I have my doubts.

PARAM

Hall of Fame
Not a fan of Liam as a coordinator at the NFL level. He had some shit stacked against him in his window with us, but the offense was lifeless and Baker's desire to ensure he has an OC from the McVay tree might have led the Bucs to the wrong candidate.
First thought is, "stacked sgainst him"? You mean the 12 different line combos and 15 different lineman? Or the Perkins/Wolford shit show?

McVay calls the plays anyway. Judging Coen as the Rams OC is like judging Stafford on his ability to block. He'll get his chance to call plays in Tampa so we'll see for the first time his NFL skill level.

Beyond that, free agency ia up next. Then the draft, camp, preseason and finally Shula's head coach audition.

Juice

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

I suspect how this will go down is the offense will struggle, and Mayfield will be under extra pressure to perform with his new contract that will certainly overpay him, leading to additional turnovers and losses. Which if it happens that way means Bowles will hopefully get a long look by McVay after his firing. Since I think chances are Shula will either be great and get hired away, or be terrible and get replaced, either of which would create an opening for us to benefit from that HC>DC demotion bounceback effect and get ourselves a DC who is battle tested in big games.

But since I do like Baker and also Bowles I do wish the Bucs the best. Within reason of course, that being the moment they face us in the playoffs assuming they can get there. Of which I have my doubts.
Damn, man. I love your posts, but can we get through this offseason before talking about the next?

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
First thought is, "stacked sgainst him"? You mean the 12 different line combos and 15 different lineman? Or the Perkins/Wolford shit show?

McVay calls the plays anyway. Judging Coen as the Rams OC is like judging Stafford on his ability to block. He'll get his chance to call plays in Tampa so we'll see for the first time his NFL skill level.

Beyond that, free agency ia up next. Then the draft, camp, preseason and finally Shula's head coach audition.
McVay calls the plays yes. But the OC position is still important for him. To what extent that OC can cook up a strong gameplan is going to affect the bottom line on gameday.

The OL combinations certainly sucked ass which is why I mentioned them. But I still don't think he gets a pass for that year's offense. Felt to me like teams were sitting on shit way too much.

PARAM

Hall of Fame
McVay calls the plays yes. But the OC position is still important for him. To what extent that OC can cook up a strong gameplan is going to affect the bottom line on gameday.

The OL combinations certainly sucked ass which is why I mentioned them. But I still don't think he gets a pass for that year's offense. Felt to me like teams were sitting on shit way too much.
You think the OC designs the gameplan and McVay just calls the plays? Seriously, does that sound like McVay? His OCs get hired for HC positions because they've spent the overwhelming majority of their time watching him.

Juice

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I do not know the inner workings of the Rams, but it seems to me if McVay is the play caller, the OC makes sure the offense can carry out those plays. Offensive assistant, QB coach, OC, and everyone else is getting the team ready for McVay's calls.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
You think the OC designs the gameplan and McVay just calls the plays? Seriously, does that sound like McVay? His OCs get hired for HC positions because they've spent the overwhelming majority of their time watching him.
Yes. Of course the OC designs the gameplan. McVay polishes it up. Difference in a good vs bad OC is whether he's polishing a battle axe or a turd.

Last edited:

PARAM

Hall of Fame
I do not know the inner workings of the Rams, but it seems to me if McVay is the play caller, the OC makes sure the offense can carry out those plays. Offensive assistant, QB coach, OC, and everyone else is getting the team ready for McVay's calls.
Or......

McVay designs the game plans.....(he's the brains of this beast. You don't actually think McVay says, "design me a game plan"?)......the OC goes over it in the offensive players meeting....and McVay calls the game.

I don't see how the Rams OC could be blamed for any of it. Unless his meeting running skills aren't up to snuff.

PARAM

Hall of Fame
Yall arguing over speculations. Neither of you know the exact details of how mcvay runs the team.
No we don't. We are free to speculate aren't we? Who do you think creates the game plan? McVay, the genius offensive mind OR one of his asssistants like the OC? I just don't see the OC designing the game plan for the genius. It would be like trading for Stafford or Mahomes and running the ball 65% of the time. I could see it if McVay were a defensive genius..

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I'm pretty sure we've heard McVay and others talk about this. His OC is his sounding board and gets the position coaches moving in the right directiontion that McVay wants them going in. The OC handles the details while McVay thinks big thoughts and directs the overall product. At least that's what I recall being said.

I like Rams

Hall of Fame
No we don't. We are free to speculate aren't we? Who do you think creates the game plan? McVay, the genius offensive mind OR one of his asssistants like the OC? I just don't see the OC designing the game plan for the genius. It would be like trading for Stafford or Mahomes and running the ball 65% of the time. I could see it if McVay were a defensive genius..
You're arguing like your speculations are facts, is what I was getting at. I can understand not agreeing with someone, but back and forth about who is right with no facts and is purely speculation? Seems like a waste of time, but you're free to chase yalls tails if you want.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
So what does the OC do while McVay is busy designing the gameplan every week. Just curious how you see this going down if the OC isn't doing his job. Does he fetch the donuts. :laugh3:

I don't need to have any inside knowledge to be certain of this one. I guarantee you that the OC builds the gameplan for McVay. Then McVay hits him with questions and suggestions and overall direction and sends him back to his laboratory to keep cooking it, rinse and repeat, until it's good enough.

And he probably does the same thing with the DC and defensive gameplan.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Yall arguing over speculations. Neither of you know the exact details of how mcvay runs the team.
This is what message boards are for. This is not a Rams coaches board. It's not an official fact finding board. It's a fan forum for interchange of all the vile thoughts that go through the heads of the unwashed masses.

PARAM

Hall of Fame
You're arguing like your speculations are facts, is what I was getting at. I can understand not agreeing with someone, but back and forth about who is right with no facts and is purely speculation? Seems like a waste of time, but you're free to chase yalls tails if you want.
Thank you very much.

Last edited:

PARAM

Hall of Fame
So what does the OC do while McVay is busy designing the gameplan every week. Just curious how you see this going down if the OC isn't doing his job. Does he fetch the donuts. :laugh3:

I don't need to have any inside knowledge to be certain of this one. I guarantee you that the OC builds the gameplan for McVay. Then McVay hits him with questions and suggestions and overall direction and sends him back to his laboratory to keep cooking it, rinse and repeat, until it's good enough.

And he probably does the same thing with the DC and defensive gameplan.
Well I don't have any inside information either. At the risk of upsetting I Like Rams, I just don't think a guy like McVay....so intense....so smart....is gonna let the OC build the gameplan....and then 'ask him questions about it'. I think it may be "here's the gameplan....get everyone up to speed". McVay suddenly seems like the non-control guy who's gonna sub out the gameplan? I have my doubts. The whole point of our discussion is your blaming Coen for how the offense played with respect to the gameplan. I disagreed. But since you 'guaranteed' it's the way you say it is, I guess I'll defer to your opinion. Maybe someday somebody will let us know for sure.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Well I don't have any inside information either. At the risk of upsetting I Like Rams, I just don't think a guy like McVay....so intense....so smart....is gonna let the OC build the gameplan....and then 'ask him questions about it'. I think it may be "here's the gameplan....get everyone up to speed". McVay suddenly seems like the non-control guy who's gonna sub out the gameplan? I have my doubts. The whole point of our discussion is your blaming Coen for how the offense played with respect to the gameplan. I disagreed. But since you 'guaranteed' it's the way you say it is, I guess I'll defer to your opinion. Maybe someday somebody will let us know for sure.
First off I want to observe that I'm not worked up or anything about any of this. Really the question with each individual coordinator is "how much does McVay have to shape that gameplan" himself.

I mean go back to the beginning of his tenure here. Of course McVay had input on the gameplan when LaFleur cooked it up. But the gameplan had to be prepared in large part by one of them. And I presume that was LaFleur. Because if not then McVay is not preparing him to be a coach at the next level. And obviously LaFleur was ready because he runs a good offense in Green Bay.

McVay and some of the others have mentioned what a pain in the ass it was to coach under Ratboy in fact. Because he was known to be a meticulous MFer if you wanted to add new concepts or anything you wanted to do, because he'd grill them mercilessly over "what if this, what if that" etc. Which is effectively training your coaches. It's similar in all leadership type jobs I think, that it works that way to some extent, but of course on a football staff it's heavy in scheme at that level. So when McVay gets the gameplan from his OC then I figure he does the Ratboy thing to them by nuking it to a gnat's ass. If that makes sense.

So basically way I see it is when McVay has a top OC his job is very easy. When he gets the gameplan and starts nuking it the OC has answers. When he gets the gameplan from a lesser OC there is undoubtedly more training involved and sending him back to his room to keep cooking. Not that any of this matters. Because all that matters is Coen learned from that year under McVay and is ready for the job this time around. And we'll know this season so it's all good.

PhillyRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Scott
I would look at it as putting together an attack plan in a war, where general's/officer's (OC, passing game & run game coordinator's) put together an attack strategy and the commanding general, (McVay) decides on which elements of their strategy that he wants to employ.

Status
Not open for further replies.