OFFICIAL 2023 NFL trades, cuts, free agents, and more

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.
Status
Not open for further replies.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Fangio doesn't want a guy? Good enough for me to pass on him.

Allen2McVay

Legend
Name
Jim
There have been three head coaches fired during the season, and another 3-6 could be let go in three weeks. So figure 6-8 openings.

Other than the Lions’ Ben Johnson, who I believe will have his choice of several jobs, who are the Offensive coaches likely to garner interest?

This morning, Boomer Esiason listed ten head coaching candidates. Ben Johnson was #1, followed by eight Defensive coaches before he listed Eric Bieniemy.

It’s such a Quarterback-driven-League, and so many head coaches succeed or fail based on how young quarterbacks develop. Seems to me that many teams would want an offensive minded coach.

I could see a couple teams dipping into the college ranks for a top offensive mind.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
I could see a couple teams dipping into the college ranks for a top offensive mind.
Jim Harbaugh will be one IMHO, however, other offensive coaches could surface too.

Frank Smith, Miami Dolphins​

The coach with the most boring name in the NFL is helping craft one of the league’s most exciting offenses. Smith doesn’t call plays for the Dolphins, but that shouldn’t stop him from receiving interest from around the NFL following two years of assisting Mike McDaniel. Remember, McDaniel didn’t call plays for the 49ers before he became a head coach, either.

Dave Canales, Tampa Bay Buccaneers​

As Seattle’s QBs coach in 2022, Canales was also essential to Smith’s 30-TD season, and his efforts landed him an offensive play-calling role with the Buccaneers. All he’s done is help revitalize another quarterback’s career, pushing Baker Mayfield to the 18th-best QBR in the league. Pete Carroll, Canales’ mentor for nearly two decades, will surely vouch for the 42-year-old.

Bobby Slowik, Houston Texans​

While Slowik is just 36, there’s no arguing with results. The Texans’ OC brought Kyle Shanahan’s offense to Houston and has guided C.J. Stroud to what will be an award-winning campaign. (Whether Stroud takes home Offensive Rookie of the Year or MVP — or both — remains TBD.)

Sure, Slowik will hear nepotism complaints, given his youth and the fact that his father, Bob Slowik, was a longtime NFL defensive coordinator. But given how fellow Shanahan acolytes DeMeco Ryans (Slowik’s boss) and McDaniel have worked out as head coaches, Slowik will likely be on HC shortlists.

Allen2McVay

Legend
Name
Jim

Frank Smith, Miami Dolphins​

Smith doesn’t call plays for the Dolphins, but that shouldn’t stop him from receiving interest from around the NFL following two years of assisting Mike McDaniel. Remember, McDaniel didn’t call plays for the 49ers before he became a head coach, either.

...​

You don't think I knew that! How dare you!! I'm aware!!!!

1703091292612.png

Seriously, some good suggestions. I am wondering if Kalen DeBoer would be interested in the NFL.

I love a coach that pays his dues. 67-3 at Sioux Falls (NAIA), followed by 10 years as an offensive coordinator and QB-coach in four college programs before being named a Head Coach. 33-5 in three full seasons as a HC.

Kupped

Legend
Name
Kupped
I've gotta think Raheem has worked his way into the top tier of candidates.
His work with this group of players, his success with a premium group and his very close working relationship with McVay all would seem to be pluses, attached to a guy who seems relentlessly positive.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
I am wondering if Kalen DeBoer would be interested in the NFL.

I love a coach that pays his dues. 67-3 at Sioux Falls (NAIA), followed by 10 years as an offensive coordinator and QB-coach in four college programs before being named a Head Coach. 33-5 in three full seasons as a HC.
He is an outstanding football coach and the only time Indiana ever looked good is when DeBoer was their offensive coordinator. He comes off of more of a college football coach, but you never know and keep an eye on Ryan Day as he has been an assistant in the NFL and he looks very tired to me in dealing with the losing to Michigan plus the transfer portal.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
There have been three head coaches fired during the season, and another 3-6 could be let go in three weeks. So figure 6-8 openings.

Other than the Lions’ Ben Johnson, who I believe will have his choice of several jobs, who are the Offensive coaches likely to garner interest?

This morning, Boomer Esiason listed ten head coaching candidates. Ben Johnson was #1, followed by eight Defensive coaches before he listed Eric Bieniemy.

It’s such a Quarterback-driven-League, and so many head coaches succeed or fail based on how young quarterbacks develop. Seems to me that many teams would want an offensive minded coach.

I've heard some rumblings that Petey is going to retire and Dan Quinn will replace him. I guess we can move this to a coaching turnover/carousel thread.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I've heard people talking about SJD being terrible this year.

hotanez

NRA Member for Life
Good depth if we need it. Won't be a starter if we added him. He'd be happy with an offer since he'd just change locker rooms by walking across the stadium.
no thanks, now if we could find an edge player yes. I can't believe Young/Hoecht haven't been getting to the QB. For God's sake teams are now double teaming both AD and Turner!

Kupped

Legend
Name
Kupped
I think McVay and Henderson would have a decision to make.
If they think it's a coaching/usage thing.. maybe they do bring him in... just for some experienced depth inside.

I wouldn't hate it.. or adding one of the edge guys out there.

We'll see.

El Chapo Jr

Legend
no thanks, now if we could find an edge player yes. I can't believe Young/Hoecht haven't been getting to the QB. For God's sake teams are now double teaming both AD and Turner!
I can't really argue that stance either. When I say good depth, I mean either as a rotational.player at best to practice squad if he comes cheap. Either way, I wouldn't be sad if we say no thanks as well.

snackdaddy

Who's your snackdaddy?
Name
Charlie
SJD played under Morris. He wasn't bad with us. There is a familiarity there. But its not one of our needs so I don't see him coming to the Rams.

Status
Not open for further replies.