OFFICIAL 2023 NFL trades, cuts, free agents, and more

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.
Status
Not open for further replies.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
This whole Jones thing is puzzling to me. Who in their right mind is paying him more than 10-15 mill on an open market?
Even that is a stretch. The guy was a bust, Giants declined the 5th year option. He was better than his previous years but mediocre at best. He looked good against Minnesota, who has an absolutely awful defense, but against Philly? He was patently awful.
Again, open market, who is paying him?
The Giants shouldnt be paying 3-4x more than the open market to re-sign their own player. How can nobody figure out the economics on this?

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
Your quote that I initially responded to was the following ...
"I think at this point people should know the cap doesn't really mean anything."

I am pretty tolerant of posters opinions (unless they state them as facts) but I have difficulty with that one. The Salary Cap is a real thing. While teams manage the cap, the good teams (the ones with good rosters) need to make tough decisions. Sometimes those decision turn-out to be wrong, and there's a negative impact.

To minimize the challenges of the NFL salary cap is Naive in my opinion. To disregard it is Ridiculous.

I never said it wasn't real. I'm saying its something that's there but really doesn't have an affect on teams getting players. We've seen it before. Todd Gurley, Jared Goff, Aaron Donald (twice), Cooper Kupp, Matthew Stafford, Jalen Ramsey, Bobby Wagner, Leonard Floyd, Andrew Whitworth, Rob Havenstein, Matt Gay, Allen Robinson.

Every single one of these guys got second contracts and AD (twice) and some even got BIG money deals. And every offseason before those guys got signed/re-signed, we kept hearing "oh they are right up against the cap", or they only have 3 players that eat most of the cap", "or they have no funds".

How has that EVER affected the team signing their draft classes? Or getting FAs? Just last year, last year alone 2 players got a combined over $110 mil contracts, and one of them is already gone. Do you think they don't have a means to figure all that out?

And yes, I disregard it because ive seen in the past it had ZERO affect on this team's ability to field a competitive team. NONE. That's MY viewpoint on it. Again, i know it's there. I know it's purpose. But again, to me, its not something that is some crippling variable everyone makes it out to be.

Which is why this whole trade Van Jefferson thing is so weird to me. You have a good, youngish WR that had a good season just a year ago, drafted in the 2nd round. It's exactly what everyone clamors for their team to do and trading him gets you what? Some JAG thats more likely to be a gameday inactive but you cap is somewhat better?

I guess what I'm saying is I'm not in favor for getting rid of productive players for FO bean counter issues.

Last edited:

Allen2McVay

Legend
Name
Jim
I never said it wasn't real.
I cut-and pasted your exact quote, which I disagreed with ... and still do. Again it was as follows:
"I think at this point people should know the cap doesn't really mean anything."

I'm saying it's something that's there but really doesn't have an affect on teams getting players.
I also strongly disagree with this statement.

The rest of your post has some good examples and points.

Do you agree with everything I post? I don't even agree with everything I post!!!

Elmgrovegnome

Legend

I wonder if his tweet about not taking the pills that they give you and giving up your body to play will get other players thinking about retiring early.

I met a retired Olineman who played for Tampa Bay. He was about 50. He could barely walk. His knees were ruined. I know that’s not how it is for every player but he said that in his case the sacrifice was not worth it. He wouldn’t even want his kid playing in college.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
That’s why brady did it. It was basically a free walk to the playoffs every year.
His first choice was the Niners. Lynch and Shanny have a good system and made a ton of good personnel decisions. Deciding to turn Brady down is the dumbest decision they ever made. I’m so glad they did.

Could you imagine the Niners winning a Super Bowl with Brady? That would be like tripling the misery for Rams fans.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
I really thought he was headed to the Jets. Surprising!

Lions plan to redesign uniforms in 2024

The Lions are heading into their final season with their current uniform design.

Lions President Rod Wood told the Detroit Free Press that the team is working with Nike on new uniforms that could be unveiled in 2024.

Wood also said the Lions will have a new alternate helmet for the 2023 season, which the Lions will wear when wearing their all-gray alternate uniforms.

The Lions do not intend to change their longtime color scheme of Honolulu blue and silver, but it will be a change from the current uniform design, which has been in place in Detroit since 2017.
I have always liked their uniforms as is.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
Huge boost for the Jaguars trading for Ridley knowing he’d sit a year… but in 2023 they are potentially rewarded for the move.

View: https://twitter.com/pff/status/1630930891085168641?s=61&t=lgp1gRmUcyNSF5v7CIHwMg

It was a good move. Lawrence needed a full season to shake the Urban Meyer cobwebs from his head and do a reset. I think the whole team did. So now Ridley comes in when the team is in full stride.

Fuck Gould. I always liked him. I’m a PSU alumni. He was always a good guy. Then he joined the Niners and caught their virus that turns players into assholes.

fanotodd

Diehard
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Fanotodd
Elmgrovegnome;

Why would you put those ideas in our heads!

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Saints are always in cap hell and always manage and get around it without blowing the whole thing up.
They dump some players but true they don't blow it up. I wonder if they'll get cap relief from Kamara or if that'll hit them hard too.

PhillyRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Scott
Saints are always in cap hell and always manage and get around it without blowing the whole thing up.
Really? Define blowing up.

Is trading Kamara & Thomas blowing it up? Letting a lot of guys walk in FA...is that blowing it up?

Because all that has been happening or will be happening.

Status
Not open for further replies.