OFFICIAL 2023 NFL trades, cuts, free agents, and more

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
Managing the CAP doesn't just occur in a vacuum somewhere, there are repercussions with debt which has a said end date where what's owed must be met. Some want to just unload Ramsey, I offer an alternative which I don't expect everyone or anyone for that matter to agree with.

What i dont get is based on your arguments (his injury, contract length, age, etc.) aren't exactly in favor of Van. So my question is based on this...why would any other team take his contract, his salary, his injury, and potential rental type player and trade anything for him?? And even if they did...like i said history shows you probably get something really crappy. You might as well use the player while he's still year, know his ceiling and adjust expectations accordingly rather than a guy that may very well be cut for a PS guy...or some other teams' PS guy.

This is a fan forum, today some us play at bean counting, in a few more weeks it will be about free agency and later it will be the draft and then the new season.
I'm amazed so many get panty bunched around here over ideas or options that don't fit their liking.

Oh dude come on man. I was talking about the team and their contracts group. I'm trying to counterpoint your post and have a discussion. I'm really tired of people blasting me every time i post something and its exactly why i barely post in Rams related stuff anymore b/c every time i do i get a response like this. Every time. And it didn't use to be like this. What in the actual hell.

If by 'manage', you mean all teams will get under the cap ... Agree

However, that first statement is just ridiculous.

How??? The Rams have shown that no matter who they gave contracts to or had to eat (like Todd Gurley and now Bobby Wagner) they still had to ability to sign/trade/extend all their other guys. Its all normal roster turnover like John Johnson and others its all part of game.

Supposedly the team was going to be in "cap hell" for the past 3, 4, 5 years. It hasn't affected anyone yet. Yes the cap exists. Yes it matters. Yes you have to manipulate it every year to be in compliance. Yes I realize it matters when it comes to resigning guys. Most of the time teams find a way to keep their best players. Situations like Tyreek Hill and Davante Adams are the exceptions, not the norm.

But i really really really doubt its this super high level of concern to teams as fans tend to make it, especially in this era when cap and having picks is romanticized over winning games/titles.

Last edited:

fanotodd

Diehard
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Fanotodd
Van Jeff suffered a knee injury and missed several games last year, Skowronek was excellent as a replacement. Prior to the Ramsey being traded rumor took hold, some fans were looking at all angles that might be required to get the Rams under the CAP. Van Jefferson is likely lost to free agency following the 2023 season anyway, so moving him now could provide a new draft pick as well as some CAP relief. The Rams used Skow, Powell and Atwell quite sparingly while Van Jeff was healthy, they also have Austin Trammell and brought in Lance McCutcheon & Jaquarii Roberson. I would also suspect that McSnead will have a tough time resisting the temptation to acquire a new WR somewhere during the draft.
It's not like we just want to cut Rams players willy-nilly, no one is comparing Van Jeff to Evans, but if we are looking to every last dollar of CAP savings without getting sentimental, turning over every rock for an extra buck becomes part of the process.

I have recently rewatched the Rams’ 2018 and 2021 postseason. The guy we were unimpressed with last time around and is now on the lions (Reynolds) looked BETTER than VJ. So who wants to go out on a limb about an uninspiring #3 or even #4 WR? Let’s move along.

…and that’s what you’re doing.

Rams fans need to face reality—our WR corps doesn’t scare anyone. Stafford to Kupp is all they need to know. Heck, try and find a thread that doesn’t involve a VJ transaction. We can spare HIM! He’s not that vital, just convenient—one way or the other.

If, and that’s a big IF, the Rams retain their #1 pick next year, I expect it to be a WR—a game breaker. Guys like Robinson, Atwell, and Bskow still will not be the #1 go to guy. They are not the answer, just the support.

PhillyRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Scott
Supposedly the team was going to be in "cap hell" for the past 3, 4, 5 years. It hasn't affected anyone yet. Yes the cap exists. Yes it matters. Yes you have to manipulate it every year to be in compliance. Yes I realize it matters when it comes to resigning guys. Most of the time teams find a way to keep their best players.
Well, they certainly have been affected by a tight cap.

Their big FA signings the last 2 yrs were an aging Wagner and Robinson coming off a bad yr, while we have let a number of FAs leave that certainly would have been nice to keep.

Also, lack of FA money meant they had to spend picks to get a cheap rental like Miller only to them let him walk in FA.

It's not sustainable. Snead has even stated that. They do need a reset, and they are talented enough to do that reset on the fly and remain competitive if they move some big contracts out and redistribute cap dollars in key areas.

fanotodd

Diehard
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Fanotodd
What i dont get is based on your arguments (his injury, contract length, age, etc.) aren't exactly in favor of Van. So my question is based on this...why would any other team take his contract, his salary, his injury, and potential rental type player and trade anything for him?? And even if they did...like i said history shows you probably get something really crappy. You might as well use the player while he's still year, know his ceiling and adjust expectations accordingly rather than a guy that may very well be cut for a PS guy...or some other teams' PS guy.

Oh dude come on man. I was talking about the team and their contracts group. I'm trying to counterpoint your post and have a discussion. I'm really tired of people blasting me every time i post something and its exactly why i barely post in Rams related stuff anymore b/c every time i do i get a response like this. Every time. And it didn't use to be like this. What in the actual hell.

How??? The Rams have shown that no matter who they gave contracts to or had to eat (like Todd Gurley and now Bobby Wagner) they still had to ability to sign/trade/extend all their other guys. Its all normal roster turnover like John Johnson and others its all part of game.

Supposedly the team was going to be in "cap hell" for the past 3, 4, 5 years. It hasn't affected anyone yet. Yes the cap exists. Yes it matters. Yes you have to manipulate it every year to be in compliance. Yes I realize it matters when it comes to resigning guys. Most of the time teams find a way to keep their best players. Situations like Tyreek Hill and Davante Adams are the exceptions, not the norm.

But i really really really doubt its this super high level of concern to teams as fans tend to make it, especially in this era when cap and having picks is romanticized over winning games/titles.

I’ll go one further, it has the same constraints on EVERY OTHER TEAM! If the Rams can’t get one under the cap, he is replaced by a guy the other team didn’t want to fit under “THEIR” cap.
This is how the league is designed.
Cheap deals are cheap deals. May the Rams come out on the long end.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter

Good post.

Just don’t get the Gurley thing,unless your saying The Rams can get through the contract stage.

—I HATED the resigning of Todd Gurley. I would have called him out. If he wanted to hold out F’’’”” him!! The Rams made AD99 wait to get his deal.
He was only on his rookie contract still. Then SAME Jared Goff!! Make them play out their 5th year. NO BRAINIER to extend the 5th year. Then franchise tag if you need it.
Rams always talk about WE not ME.I say make them prove it!!

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River

Supposedly the team was going to be in "cap hell" for the past 3, 4, 5 years. It hasn't affected anyone yet. Yes the cap exists. Yes it matters. Yes you have to manipulate it every year to be in compliance.

Why would I have issue with Van Jeff's age ? Certainly not something I've brought up, hell, he'll only be 27 next season. Jefferson is a decent WR3, but with our current depth at the position I'll be surprised if his second contract is with the Rams, the Rams are likely to lose him to free agency following this season, same with Higbee. This discussion probably wouldn't exist if the Rams didn't have a large CAP deficit, and it hasn't been expanded on yet, but with 10 draft picks and the potential for more, there is still the cost involved with signing the entire draft class that will be added to our CAP debt. I have found Van Jefferson to be rather inconsistent, bothered by nicks mostly, at least until finally missing significant time last year with his knee injury. He is also one of the few who might garner a draft pick while reducing our CAP, Higbee is another. Floyd was my third & last trade prospect until Ramsey's name became so prevalent in our cost cutting theme. I've stated many times that I wish to improve our team's fortunes through trades and the draft instead of being a big participant in free agency, this so we don't suffer from lost Comp picks in 2024 due to our own losses in free agency this year. For me, accomplishing these goals to get under the CAP as well as bringing in new blood meant trading some players that still have a bit of value, and I believe Floyd, Higbee & Van Jeff are worth a 3'rd, 4'th and 5'th. If Ramsey is traded, he should get us a 1'st.

The Rams can remain in the play-off hunt this year by exchanging Edge rushers by way of trade.
Our OL should be much improved with as little as a single top IOL being added, depth will be excellent with everyone returning to health. WR3 is of little issue for me as I really like what Skowronek, Atwell & Powell bring rotationally, and we'll likely add to that group. Without Higbee, just how many fewer gained yards will there really be ? I just don't see a remarkable fall-off as others seem to.
On defense, we could lose Gaines, A'Shawn or both, Wagner is already gone, Scott, Hill & Rapp are likely gone. And then there is the Ramsey conversation.
Gay may also be lost to free agency, who knows at this point ?

I'll say this much, I get tired of repeating myself, it just tells me people weren't listening to begin with.
If you have an issue with perception the way you've described, perhaps phrasing things differently will get a better response, although I'll let others address these concerns.

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
ChatGPT is your friend:

Kenny Golliday, he was a baller on the field
Scoring touchdowns and making plays, he was the real deal
But after all the hard work, it was time for a break
He got paid and went on a holiday, no mistakes

Kenny Golliday got paid and went on a holiday
Taking time off from the game, he's doing it his way Living life like a superstar,
he's got it made

He went to the beach, soaking up the sun
Sipping on a cold drink, having fun
He left his worries behind, left them at the door
He's relaxing, taking it slow, he wants more

Taking time off from the game, he's doing it his way Living life like a superstar, he's got it made
No self respecting white dude is gonna let a logic board best him in rapping. "Oh hell naw!" It's on!!!!

Goan share some truth bout Kenny Golliday
MFer signed and went on holiday
Swapped two-a-days for sun tanned skin
Posh hotels poundin lil' bottles of gin
Wit Den the Coach freezin in the NY rain
And Giant fans cryin bout division pain
Kenny G was throwing dolla bills in spades
At strippers in the joints where dirty moneys made
But now his momma's mad cause Kenny's home to stay
Squattin in the place where the meatloaf's made
Giants moving on fans know he's shit
Nobody gonna put any cash in his mitts
He's only got a couple choices now for his town
It's gonna be the Texans or maybe the Browns.

Don't quit your day jobs.

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
Why would I have issue with Van Jeff's age ? Certainly not something I've brought up, hell, he'll only be 27 next season. Jefferson is a decent WR3, but with our current depth at the position I'll be surprised if his second contract is with the Rams, the Rams are likely to lose him to free agency following this season, same with Higbee.

WR3 Van Jefferson has a career average 56.7% catching percentage, he'll be 27 y.o. and is entering his final year under contract. Trade him while we can.

Is this not you? It sounds like age was brought up as one reason to trade him. And if they are gone they go after a year. We know what both of those players bring, and instead of hoping a late rounder why not just keep them? The cap will get dealt with either way.

This discussion probably wouldn't exist if the Rams didn't have a large CAP deficit, and it hasn't been expanded on yet, but with 10 draft picks and the potential for more, there is still the cost involved with signing the entire draft class that will be added to our CAP debt. I have found Van Jefferson to be rather inconsistent, bothered by nicks mostly, at least until finally missing significant time last year with his knee injury. He is also one of the few who might garner a draft pick while reducing our CAP, Higbee is another. Floyd was my third & last trade prospect until Ramsey's name became so prevalent in our cost cutting theme. I've stated many times that I wish to improve our team's fortunes through trades and the draft instead of being a big participant in free agency, this so we don't suffer from lost Comp picks in 2024 due to our own losses in free agency this year. For me, accomplishing these goals to get under the CAP as well as bringing in new blood meant trading some players that still have a bit of value, and I believe Floyd, Higbee & Van Jeff are worth a 3'rd, 4'th and 5'th. If Ramsey is traded, he should get us a 1'st.

Again...cap, man that thing. When has the cap ever affected to sign a draft class?

But back to Van...you are right. Inconsistent, but i think he's a good player. Like most players...and he produces as the #3 option. But explain to me, because i'm just not grasping that fact that if a guy is inconsistent and bothered with nicks can get a 5th round pick + the other team willingly take his contract? That other hypothetical team would have to have some interest in him, and would have to use him? Why wouldn't the team that drafted him in the first place to play on that team just use him??

And I'm sorry...but Leonard Floyd and Tyler Higbee @ 30...they ain't gonna yield 3rd and 4th rounders. It's rumored that Deandre Hopkins might go for a 2nd.

Cap is gonna cap.

The Rams can remain in the play-off hunt this year by exchanging Edge rushers by way of trade.
Our OL should be much improved with as little as a single top IOL being added, depth will be excellent with everyone returning to health. WR3 is of little issue for me as I really like what Skowronek, Atwell & Powell bring rotationally, and we'll likely add to that group. Without Higbee, just how many fewer gained yards will there really be ? I just don't see a remarkable fall-off as others seem to.
On defense, we could lose Gaines, A'Shawn or both, Wagner is already gone, Scott, Hill & Rapp are likely gone. And then there is the Ramsey conversation.
Gay may also be lost to free agency, who knows at this point ?

What you described here is standard roster turnover. I'm not gonna lose any sleep over any of these guys. Greg might sting a bit but i trust they know what they are doing. You're right...who knows

I'll say this much, I get tired of repeating myself, it just tells me people weren't listening to begin with.

OK. Here we go. That's bullshit. Complete bullshit. I read every word of your post and responded in turn with my view.

I try to have convos. but no I'm the villain every. fuckin. time.

If you have an issue with perception the way you've described, perhaps phrasing things differently will get a better response, although I'll let others address these concerns.

What did i do to warrant a response like "getting panty bunched"?

Well, they certainly have been affected by a tight cap.

Their big FA signings the last 2 yrs were an aging Wagner and Robinson coming off a bad yr, while we have let a number of FAs leave that certainly would have been nice to keep.

Also, lack of FA money meant they had to spend picks to get a cheap rental like Miller only to them let him walk in FA.

It's not sustainable. Snead has even stated that. They do need a reset, and they are talented enough to do that reset on the fly and remain competitive if they move some big contracts out and redistribute cap dollars in key areas.

Well they didn't "let" him walk...he wanted even more and signed for the Bills.

They had the funds to sign him, add both Bobby and Allen, and were trying to get OBJ. There was a scenario where they could get all the guys that wanted despite this supposed cap enigma.

And cutting Bobby, with 5 years left and god knows the contract impact...that i highly doubt its gonna make a noticeable impact in the way they run things. That's my whole point. Cap, shnap.

That must be what Angry Ram is talking about ... Madden Football ... Now his comment makes some sense.

I know you're making a funny...but c'mon this is my view on this cap thing. Hell just last year when the Rams won the bowl some media were saying "but the cap" is an excuse for their loser teams losing...look at the Rams they made it work.

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
No self respecting white dude is gonna let a logic board best him in rapping. "Oh hell naw!" It's on!!!!

Goan share some truth bout Kenny Golliday
MFer signed and went on holiday
Swapped two-a-days for sun tanned skin
Posh hotels poundin lil' bottles of gin
Wit Den the Coach freezin in the NY rain
And Giant fans cryin bout division pain
Kenny G was throwing dolla bills in spades
At strippers in the joints where dirty moneys made
But now his momma's mad cause Kenny's home to stay
Squattin in the place where the meatloaf's made
Giants moving on fans know he's shit
Nobody gonna put any cash in his mitts
He's only got a couple choices now for his town
It's gonna be the Texans or maybe the Browns.

Bars

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
Is this not you? It sounds like age was brought up as one reason to trade him. And if they are gone they go after a year. We know what both of those players bring, and instead of hoping a late rounder why not just keep them? The cap will get dealt with either way.

Again...cap, man that thing. When has the cap ever affected to sign a draft class?

But back to Van...you are right. Inconsistent, but i think he's a good player. Like most players...and he produces as the #3 option. But explain to me, because i'm just not grasping that fact that if a guy is inconsistent and bothered with nicks can get a 5th round pick + the other team willingly take his contract? That other hypothetical team would have to have some interest in him, and would have to use him? Why wouldn't the team that drafted him in the first place to play on that team just use him??

And I'm sorry...but Leonard Floyd and Tyler Higbee @ 30...they ain't gonna yield 3rd and 4th rounders. It's rumored that Deandre Hopkins might go for a 2nd.

Cap is gonna cap.

What you described here is standard roster turnover. I'm not gonna lose any sleep over any of these guys. Greg might sting a bit but i trust they know what they are doing. You're right...who knows

OK. Here we go. That's bullshit. Complete bullshit. I read every word of your post and responded in turn with my view.

I try to have convos. but no I'm the villain every. fuckin. time.

What did i do to warrant a response like "getting panty bunched"?

Well they didn't "let" him walk...he wanted even more and signed for the Bills.

They had the funds to sign him, add both Bobby and Allen, and were trying to get OBJ. There was a scenario where they could get all the guys that wanted despite this supposed cap enigma.

And cutting Bobby, with 5 years left and god knows the contract impact...that i highly doubt its gonna make a noticeable impact in the way they run things. That's my whole point. Cap, shnap.

I know you're making a funny...but c'mon this is my view on this cap thing. Hell just last year when the Rams won the bowl some media were saying "but the cap" is an excuse for their loser teams losing...look at the Rams they made it work.

Honestly, I'm getting fed up with this line of thought of yours.
Let me be clear, this is NOT just another year of the 'CAP is just gonna Cap' or the 'CAP will be dealt with either way'. Even better is 'standard roster turnover'. Every year is different and presents a new set of CAP challenges, ... and yes, of course the 'CAP will be dealt with', it's part of the rules that on March 15, 2023 at 4:00 PM EST, every NFL team in the League must be under the CAP. Our 'standard roster turnover' doesn't affect our CAP, these are new free agents whose contracts have expired. The CAP is the CAP and is re-set by the league every year, if a team is over the CAP they must generate CAP casualties among contracted players who are still on the team, it's this or find enough player contracts that can be restructured to get us under. Unfortunately, the Rams have been restructuring and adding future debt in past years that eventually becomes detrimental. Someone gets cut from teams that are over the CAP pretty much every year, and that makes the new free agency period even more interesting. Teams that have CAP space will often re-sign their own players, those that don't have CAP space will struggle re-signing desired players and outside free agents.
Now that Wagner has left us unexpectedly, our CAP deficit is less than what has been listed previously, restructuring Kupp probably gets us into the plus side somewhat, although this doesn't figure for whatever our draft class costs us. Still, we are in better shape than many teams. Every currently contracted player that fans have been discussing for potential trades will raise our ability to either re-sign lost players, engage deeper in free agency or extend contracts. We are yet to understand how Snead will approach this new season, it's all fan speculation at this point, and many are exercising their forum rights to explore various hypotheses.

Now I'm done with you, so please go elsewhere and engage someone else on this life altering issue ...

fred_sanford_the_big_one.jpg

Last edited:

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
This is a fan forum, today some us play at bean counting, in a few more weeks it will be about free agency and later it will be the draft and then the new season.
I'm amazed so many get panty bunched around here over ideas or options that don't fit their liking.

Sometimes I find myself reading something and wondering… “am I on drugs?” (i.e. what did I miss?).

It’s still possible I missed something… but I think your whole exchange got tangled up early in the discussion, sending things off track of perceived “antagonism” where truthfully I don’t see it.

Said another way; you guys really should kiss and make up.

Allen2McVay

Legend
Name
Jim

Your quote that I initially responded to was the following ...
"I think at this point people should know the cap doesn't really mean anything."

I am pretty tolerant of posters opinions (unless they state them as facts) but I have difficulty with that one. The Salary Cap is a real thing. While teams manage the cap, the good teams (the ones with good rosters) need to make tough decisions. Sometimes those decision turn-out to be wrong, and there's a negative impact.

To minimize the challenges of the NFL salary cap is Naive in my opinion. To disregard it is Ridiculous.

Last edited:

PhillyRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Scott
Your quote that I initially responded to was the following ...
"I think at this point people should know the cap doesn't really mean anything."

I am pretty tolerant of posters opinions (unless they state them as facts) but I have difficulty with that one. The Salary Cap is a real thing. While teams manage the cap, the good teams (the ones with good rosters) need to make tough decisions. Sometimes those decision turn-out to be wrong, and there's a negative impact.

To minimize the challenges of the NFL salary cap is Naive in my opinion. To disregard it is Ridiculous.
Agree... the Eagles for example loaded their roster last yr by adding void yrs to many of their players deals to lower their 22' cap hits. They went for it while Hurts was on his rookie contract.

Now they have 20 FAs, about 12 of them were starters or key role players. They also currently have $46M in dead cap due to those void yrs. That is likley t8 go up as they try to restructure to open up more space for Hurts contract and to attempt to sign a few FAs.

As a result they will field a much worse roster this yr compared to last yr due to the cap. And it might get worse in 24' as well.

If you put Snead on a lie detector, he would probably tell you they would rather have the $60M of cap space Donald is slated to take up in 23' & 24' than having Donald himself. He is just too iconic to do anything about it.

blackbart

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
I guess parity must be the veiled lie for having a salary cap but there are teams that won’t compete regardless of how much others are restricted.

I don’t see why the owners keep it so low or cap the number of roster spots. They could both use a healthy bump.

Psycho_X

Legend
Huge boost for the Jaguars trading for Ridley knowing he’d sit a year… but in 2023 they are potentially rewarded for the move.

View: https://twitter.com/pff/status/1630930891085168641?s=61&t=lgp1gRmUcyNSF5v7CIHwMg

I'm kind of lukewarm on Ridley overall. He's only had one season over 1000 and he'll be 29 by the end of 23 season already. But like you said it could potentially be good. I think they'll get the value of what they traded for him at very least so definitely a good move by them.

Allen2McVay

Legend
Name
Jim
Agree... the Eagles for example loaded their roster last yr by adding void yrs to many of their players deals to lower their 22' cap hits. They went for it while Hurts was on his rookie contract.

Now they have 20 FAs, about 12 of them were starters or key role players. They also currently have $46M in dead cap due to those void yrs.

Agree, and here's just one simple example:

Andrew Whitworth (Pro Bowl O-Lineman) retired after 2021. Whitworth is on the Rams' 2023 Cap for $2M.

Brandon Brooks (Pro Bowl O-Lineman) also retired after 2021. Brooks is on the Eagles' 2023 Cap for $9.8M.

That's Not 'bean counting'. That's NFL Math ... and it's real.

Status
Not open for further replies.