OFFICIAL 2023 NFL Arrests/Lawsuits/Legal Stuff

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
Yes they probably were guilty but they had zero evidence other than the agent saying he gave an home to Bush's parents to rent at a very cheap rate in Lake Elsinore

They should not have been punished as bad as they were with the evidence that they had

It was pure utter jealousy that the NCAA had of USC
The NCAA wasn’t jealous. They were trying to get them on something because they knew they were breaking the rules. They just needed concrete evidence.

Tano

Legend
The NCAA wasn’t jealous. They were trying to get them on something because they knew they were breaking the rules. They just needed concrete evidence.
Per Carroll's comments when he was in the meetings - it was pure jealousy and wanted to get at USC

All (and I emphasize ALL) of the top programs do recruiting violations. It was their open atmosphere with stars at games that made the NCAA jealous.

Tano

Legend
And plus just by your comment - they were trying to get them on something - makes it jealousy.

Again - all top colleges break the rules.

USC was barely breaking the rules. It is stated in the write-up

Again - the only thing they had was a pissed off agent who told the NCAA that he spoke about Bush's home for his parents to McCain and McCain denied the phone call.

But the NCAA was able to use any information because they are not liable to outside law.

If this was in a true court, it would have lost the case.

Tano

Legend
And I need to add - the NCAA had to make up a violation that they have never used before USC nor after USC

They stated USC had lost control of their players which in their opinion is the most egregious violation of all.

Yet USC's football players had a much higher graduation rate than almost every SEC school (if not all).

They stated that USC's football players basically had pure freedom on campus yet I bet any SEC school had the same thing.

One of the things they kept citing was that stars and agents were allowed access to practices and games. However, that was NOT against any written rule.

I believe the NCAA should have told USC that this is not allowed anymore and to make it a written rule instead of punishing USC for it. But since they are not liable to any court, they basically said we can do whatever we want against you USC and we are going to give you basically just short of the death penalty that we gave to SMU.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
And plus just by your comment - they were trying to get them on something - makes it jealousy.

Again - the only thing they had was a pissed off agent who told the NCAA that he spoke about Bush's home for his parents to McCain and McCain denied the phone call.

But the NCAA was able to use any information because they are not liable to outside law.

I don’t think all schools commit violations. If they did, the playing field would be much more even. That would mean that schools that are regularly out of the top five to ten, are breaking rules for no reason because it isn’t working. For instance, how many five star recruits does Michigan State get? Most five star recruits go to a handful of schools. Same with high four stars.

If they all did it then we’d have more parity. Give Ryan Day or Pete Carroll a team full of three star recruits. You don’t get the same result.

Tano

Legend
I don’t think all schools commit violations. If they did, the playing field would be much more even. That would mean that schools that are regularly out of the top five to ten, are breaking rules for no reason because it isn’t working. For instance, how many five star recruits does Michigan State get? Most five star recruits go to a handful of schools. Same with high four stars.

If they all did it then we’d have more parity. Give Ryan Day or Pete Carroll a team full of three star recruits. You don’t get the same result.
I was saying the top schools are all violating the rules in some way or other

Ohio State Alabama LSU Clemson Auborn Georgia etc - and I do include USC in it

But the point I was making is that USC was NOT caught violating any specific rule - they just did not know about Bush that they probably should have known about

NCAA wanted to punish USC to make a point to the other schools but the problem with that is that they haven't done even remotely the same punishment to other schools that WERE caught violating rules.

Tano

Legend

You may disagree with this but USC did not get caught breaking any specific rule - I want to emphasize that a phone call between the agent and McCain does not provide enough information that there was rule breaking on USC's part. I really believe a jury would have found USC not guilty.

And I want to add that the NCAA knew they didn't have enough information so they didn't want to release the evidence they had to the public and decided to settle out of court with McCain. I bet the settlement was a few million dollars

Tano

Legend
Per Carroll's comments when he was in the meetings - it was pure jealousy and wanted to get at USC

All (and I emphasize ALL) of the top programs do recruiting violations. It was their open atmosphere with stars at games that made the NCAA jealous.
@hotanez

Laugh It Up Harrison Ford GIF by Star Wars

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
I lost a lot of interest in college sports with the changes of late. Used to watch a ton of college ball but I watch less and less nowadays and it makes it harder come draft season that's for damn sure. Just too much effort required to find out who's playing when and half the time I forget to tune in to the games I want to see. Or I sit down to watch it and then realize I have to find a stream and say fuck it. Doing it with the NFL is bad enough.

Tano

Legend
I'm sorry Tano its just funny how this thread got hijacked
And what happened to USC just hits a nerve to me - I was so pissed

Kinda like what happened to the Rams in the 2001 SB

Those are the two things in my life that can easily push my buttons

atomic bomb explosion GIF

Tano

Legend
Make that three things.
~ Jared Goff
Ok ok - that can push my button as well but not quite like the other two

I only get ticked off when people state Goff is a bottom 5 or even less should not be a starter or even a back-up in this league

And there were a couple who said he would be out out the league after 2 years with Detroit

dang

Legend
Ok ok - that can push my button as well but not quite like the other two

I only get ticked off when people state Goff is a bottom 5 or even less should not be a starter or even a back-up in this league

And there were a couple who said he would be out out the league after 2 years with Detroit
Anyone stating Hoff should be out of the league hasn’t been watching Goffs play. Results started coming the second half of his first year with the Lions and have been steady since.

Tano

Legend
Anyone stating Hoff should be out of the league hasn’t been watching Goffs play. Results started coming the second half of his first year with the Lions and have been steady since.
Well this was stated before and during the early part of Goff's first year with Detroit

RamFanWA

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
DavidG