OFFICIAL 2023 Draft

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

muggmeister

Starter
I've said this in previous posts. The Rams don't necessarily have to draft an edge early this year. They will have a first round pick next year. They could draft DT Calijah Kancey out of Pitt to play 3T and be mentored by his idol Aaron Donald. Then simply shift Donald to weakside DE and Hoecht to the strongside. Paired with Murchison on passing downs with AD and Hoecht outside could be a very good DL. If Kancey drops to 36 and he might, that would seem a logical way to go. They get their long term replacement for AD when he retires next year, or it may be an incentive to play through 2024 as well. At DE Donald won't see those constant double and triple teams and it might prolong his career. One thing is for sure they won't be running left a lot.
Well, here's your wish from my latest "Fanspeak.com" mock draft.

TEAM PICKS​

36: R2 P5 DL Calijah Kancey - Pittsburgh
69: R3 P6 EDGE Felix Anudike-Uzomah - Kansas State
77: R3 P14 C Joe Tippmann - Wisconsin
167: R5 P32 WR Kayshon Boutte - LSU
171: R5 P36 G Mark Evans II - Arkansas Pine Bluff
177: R5 P42 S DeMarcco Hellams - Alabama
182: R6 P5 CB Myles Brooks - Louisana Tech
189: R6 P12 LB Jordan Wright - Kentucky
191: R6 P14 RB Mohamed Ibrahim - Minnesota
223: R7 P6 EDGE YaYa Diaby - Louisville
251: R7 P34 TE Davis Allen - Clemson

Flatlyner

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Survivor Champion
What does being fair have to do with it. I like to ask my kids that when they use that stupid fucking phrase. It's like literally. Unnecessary words and phrasings irritate the shit out of me.

But what matters is where the team elects to prioritize the position. Generally speaking we are not in a position to get a good TE prospect most years, as the good ones go off the board by early 2nd round. This year we're in a good spot. So if they convince themselves "hey we can just go get this high end lottery ticket and hit on him later" that is the flaw in the ointment that will continue our run of disappointment and shitty results at the position.

And our TE position sure could use a stud like the aforementioned. I don't want to even waste a pick on a shitter like Kuntz who blows scouts minds in his underwear then leaves them wondering where the fuck he was on gameday.
Perhaps you'd prefer all things being equal? As that is clearly what I was suggesting... And saying that because they have fairly vastly different draft values. Sure, I think Will Anderson is better then Yaya Diaby or Zach Harrison. There is a reason they are being drafted where they are and needing to use much more capital to get the better player. We have very little premium draft capital... to be fair.

Merlin

Damn the torpedoes
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
I think they could draft LaPorta and he'd come in immediately and be able to play in the slot for us. Which would require moving Kupp outside the hash but when you have an OC like McVay what matters is the quality of your weapons. So we'd be looking at Robinson at X, Kupp at Z, LaPorta at Y and lots for defenses to think about not to mention absolute terror for opponents in the redzone with the combined size of those 3.

As things stand right now you double up on Kupp and we're pedestrian as hell. But maybe Robinson comes into camp hot and has the scheme down plus they add one big target like LaPorta who can mismatch vs LBs and safeties and all of a sudden we're hard to shut down.

If they address TE more early than late and draft either LaPorta or Kraft we're gonna get a lift. If on the other hand we draft some workout warrior like Kuntz it will be more of the same. So I'm hoping for a change. Just bothers me that we might see another draft haul with project types. Granted this new TE coach may be up for that. But I'd much prefer production even if it means you take a guy with some other holes in his game like LaPorta where you give up the blocking but get the pass game threat.

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
Give me Tucker Kraft any day. He's the one I want the absolute most out of anyone in this class. If we could get him with our third, I'd be over the moon. If we couldn't get him with our third, I'd go so far as to take him with our second round pick; I see George Kittle vibes with Kraft.

Merlin

Damn the torpedoes
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Give me Tucker Kraft any day. He's the one I want the absolute most out of anyone in this class. If we could get him with our third, I'd be over the moon. If we couldn't get him with our third, I'd go so far as to take him with our second round pick; I see George Kittle vibes with Kraft.
Yeah he's really high on my list too, as in I'd be willing to take him with our pick there at 36 as well as long as some others like say McDonald aren't on the board. He's one of those guys that would be heavily featured in our offense and he'd be up to task. I think he's gonna be a stud TE in this league for sure.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dsZPNeqVlvM

Memento

Name
Jemma
Yeah he's really high on my list too, as in I'd be willing to take him with our pick there at 36 as well as long as some others like say McDonald aren't on the board. He's one of those guys that would be heavily featured in our offense and he'd be up to task. I think he's gonna be a stud TE in this league for sure.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dsZPNeqVlvM

Kraft is probably the best blocking tight end in this class; South Dakota State was mostly a run-first team. As a blocking tight end alone, he'd be our number one if we cut/trade Higbee. But his receiving ability is so underrated. He just snags the ball with a huge catch radius, he runs great routes, he does all the right things.

WestCoastRam

Legend
I think they could draft LaPorta and he'd come in immediately and be able to play in the slot for us. Which would require moving Kupp outside the hash but when you have an OC like McVay what matters is the quality of your weapons. So we'd be looking at Robinson at X, Kupp at Z, LaPorta at Y and lots for defenses to think about not to mention absolute terror for opponents in the redzone with the combined size of those 3.

As things stand right now you double up on Kupp and we're pedestrian as hell. But maybe Robinson comes into camp hot and has the scheme down plus they add one big target like LaPorta who can mismatch vs LBs and safeties and all of a sudden we're hard to shut down.

If they address TE more early than late and draft either LaPorta or Kraft we're gonna get a lift. If on the other hand we draft some workout warrior like Kuntz it will be more of the same. So I'm hoping for a change. Just bothers me that we might see another draft haul with project types. Granted this new TE coach may be up for that. But I'd much prefer production even if it means you take a guy with some other holes in his game like LaPorta where you give up the blocking but get the pass game threat.

I wonder if the Rams might be more interested in a TE type that can be split out wide as we occasionally did with Everett, tried to do with Harris (and McVay used to do a lot in Washington). The benefit being that it helps make the D declare their defense being man or zone and putting a - minus coverage player out on the boundary. I haven't researched the TE's really well but I suspect that some of the TE's ranked high wouldn't be able to do that. I'm not sure LaPorta offers the ability to do that.

I'm itching for a TE weapon in this draft but I suspect it might not look how we anticipate it.

Robinson represents a problem if you listen to Jourdan, she reports that he can't win at X anymore and would need to be moved into the slot to be useful. Then you have Robinson and Kupp competing for slot spots (Kupp can play outside but to maximize him you want him splitting time between outside and slot - why cut off the legs of your best weapon). I worry about taking more slot weapons (TE's that can only play on move, in slot and not at the boundary) and hamstringing our offense.

Last edited:

Merlin

Damn the torpedoes
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I wonder if the Rams might be more interested in a TE type that can be split out wide as we occasionally did with Everett, tried to do with Harris (and McVay used to do a lot in Washington). The benefit being that it helps make the D declare their defense being man or zone and putting a - minus coverage player out on the boundary. I haven't researched the TE's really well but I suspect that some of the TE's ranked high wouldn't be able to do that. I'm not sure LaPorta offers the ability to do that.

I'm itching for a TE weapon in this draft but I suspect it might not look how we anticipate it.

Robinson represents a problem if you listen to Jourdan, she reports that he can't win at X anymore and would need to be moved into the slot to be useful. Then you have Robinson and Kupp competing for slot spots (Kupp can play outside but to maximize him you want him splitting time between outside and slot - why cut off the legs of your best weapon). I worry about taking more slot weapons (TE's that can only play on move, in slot and not at the boundary) and hamstringing our offense.
No offense but I don't form my opinions around Jourdan's opinion. Been doing this much longer than she's been around doing it. And I respect her, she does a good job.

Now maybe she has inside info from the Rams on Robinson. But for myself I can only go off what I'm seeing which is a guy who gets open but is not targeted. Which as I've said ad nauseum tells me that he was not trusted by the QB. Typically when that happens it's because in practice they are running the wrong routes and reads and in this offense there is a lot of thinking involved.

Going a step further the Rams are supposedly willing to move him. Which means they may think he doesn't have the mind for their offense. This is my read. Maybe I'm a stupid fan who's wrong too, but I like to have my own opinion on these things.

Back to TE when it comes to this offense the WR position has held it down for some time due to the fact that the pieces in the WR room have been better than the TE room. McVay simply is not going to play 12 sets when he gives up pass game potency. Or at least that limits it. Currently having Higs > Long is a ton better than what we had last season too. But is that good enough to overcome the WR room for personnel selection? Probably not.

This is why I think a pass game addition could really help us in that TE room. And you may be correct that it won't look how we anticipate it. What will happen is we'll probably draft some shitter like Kuntz or Musgrave. Then the teams I dislike will take the LaPortas or Krafts who were not good enough for us. And the pain will continue. But that doesn't mean I give up on hope that they'll actually make a good call with the TE room this year. I mean law of averages seems to insinuate we are beyond due to hit big on a TE, seeing as how we really never have had a great one.

Tumak61

Pro Bowler
Name
Tumak61
This is a trade up year for McVay and Snead. Target. Bijan Robinson. Our offense gets a transformational talent and the McVay Offense takes flight once again.

Flatlyner

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Do you guys not think that Kraft also needs some developing? His level of competition was not stellar (Holy Cross, UNI, Indiana St to name a few). I will say, he played how he should play against the level of competition. So, he could only play against the guys he had in front of him, and he was pretty dominant in that regard. I'm just a bit timid that playing against the big boys of the NFL is going to be a massive difference. I am high on Kraft also, but have doubts about his value in the 2nd. Just my 2 cents.

Flatlyner

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Kraft is probably the best blocking tight end in this class; South Dakota State was mostly a run-first team. As a blocking tight end alone, he'd be our number one if we cut/trade Higbee. But his receiving ability is so underrated. He just snags the ball with a huge catch radius, he runs great routes, he does all the right things.
I'd give the nod to Washington as the best blocking TE in the draft myself, but Kraft is not a bad blocker at all. LaPorta on the other hand......

WestCoastRam

Legend
Imagine McVay having this type of option in his scheme...

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XT8Mc5oTCNM

Well, those highlights show LaPorta lining up on the boundary at least on one play. I just wonder if he has plus ability to do it (he could be either bigger or faster but is neither).

FWIW - think Jourdan has mocked Kraft to us twice in drafts but she certainly hasn't stated that she has inside info on that as she has with other information.

Merlin

Damn the torpedoes
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Do you guys not think that Kraft also needs some developing? His level of competition was not stellar (Holy Cross, UNI, Indiana St to name a few). I will say, he played how he should play against the level of competition. So, he could only play against the guys he had in front of him, and he was pretty dominant in that regard. I'm just a bit timid that playing against the big boys of the NFL is going to be a massive difference. I am high on Kraft also, but have doubts about his value in the 2nd. Just my 2 cents.
Those questions are valid and why he's not going top of round 2 so we have a legit shot to get him even after a move down. But all it takes is one team to want a player to pull him off the board.

You see all these draft charts and mocks that have him going round 3 or maybe even 4 and think "oh well yeah he's a small school iffy type with some upside." But he's not that. He's strong and physical and has pro agility to his pro sized frame. He will go earlier than many sites have him listed I think.

Look at the Georgia kid. Freakish TE, all the talent in the universe. But where is the production given all that talent. Same with Kuntz, talent but no production. Musgrave is another guy who I think measures well but I simply don't think his film stands out. Now the Georgia kid is first round talent without a doubt. So what happens if he's there at 36. That worries me. Musgrave worries me.

Over the years of watching these TEs come out it seems to me more and more that RAC threat on the underneath is a big key. Particularly in our offense. The ones who have the size and catch & flop don't usually do too much. The freak athletes are similar. The guys you want are the ones with agility and body control and good hands, smart and used different ways, etc. And those translate better for McVay too.

Memento

Name
Jemma

Not blocking-wise. Kraft's an NFL ready blocker. His receiving may take a while to get there, but has enormous potential in that regard as well.

Kraft's my favorite tight end. I'm not too much a fan of LaPorta because he's okay at everything but not elite at one certain thing.

Merlin

Damn the torpedoes
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I figure Branch is off the board well before we pick. But early round 2 is often safety range and every time I'm watching the Bama defense I think to myself "damn."

Memento

Name
Jemma
I figure Branch is off the board well before we pick. But early round 2 is often safety range and every time I'm watching the Bama defense I think to myself "damn."

I think Branch and Jordan Battle (the other Alabama safety) are off the board when we pick.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Oh I agree that Kancey will probably go in that range. That's why I assume if they are going to grab someone like Tanner Mckee or Kancy they would move up into the first round.

This year isn't a rebuild it's a re-set, prepping for another multi-year run. The fact they are looking at Clayton Tune, shows me they understand QB2 is a huge missing piece that probably won't be solved with a UDFA or career vet retread. But it also could signal that they know that if they are going to get a QB in the draft if they like one in this draft they need to pull the trigger. It will give them time to fully develop him behind Stafford.

So could they possibly trade up to #18 if their targeted QB drops that far? Pick 18 is Detroit's second pick. The Rams top 3rd round this year with their 2024 first round and toss in Allen Robinson. They would be doing right by Robinson trading him to a team on the rise with a good QB. Detroit gets a big target vet possession X WR for Goff. Jared takes what is there so if Robinson gets open he will get the targets. It would give Holmes his #6 pick, two second round picks and then 2 third round picks, with a second first round pick next year. The Rams could use it for a QB like McKee who is most likely going to go in the second half of the first round, or they could use it on Kalijah Kancey (a replacement for AD when he retires next year). They could play Donald at weakside DE where he's rotated fairly often with good results. Much harder to double him and you don't want to run that way. Play Hoecht on the strong side and Murchison at 3T.

Holmes could eiher keep that #6 or trade back and pickup two more first round picks. I think he would take a Rams trade. Let's face it one maybe two years is all the Rams can expect out of Stafford. Maybe Matt stays healthy, but maybe he doesn't. Don't wait until everyone knows you need a QB to make a trade. With that 5th year option, they would have that QB for 5 years so grooming him for two wouldn't hurt. Keeping their #36 allows them to take a CB. They can grab an edge next year.

DE Donald / Kier Thomas
NT Brown / Murchison
DT Kancy / Carter
DE/JACK (OLB) Hoecht / Hardy

If they take a QB like McKee they would still draft an edge either at 36 (if they have it) or at 69 with CB at 77. The unsaid wildcard in this draft is how does Daniel Hardy project this year. Can he actually start? The fact he played behind Floyd last year and now Floyd is gone. Hardy as a second year player could be as good or better than a lot of the edges left on the board in the 3rd round. We tend to write him off because of his draft position. But he was drafted low because he was very raw. If he's on track with his development they could be looking at him as a potential starter. If so it changes this draft and CB and QB2 become priorities.

IMO they are looking at Tune strictly as a long term backup. I think if Tune isn't taken by the end of the 3rd round he will be on the board in the 5th round and that is when they should grab him. Tune is a good QB but his arm strength is what will drop him. If they wait until the 6th round Jake Haener should be on the board and he's everything they wanted in Wolford.
Trading up is a worse idea than drafting an ILB sooner than the 7th round. We're a Stafford led team for at least the next two years unless he retires so taking anything other than a project backup makes absolutely no sense at all.